• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Haha, thanks man. I really do appreciate all your support and feedback. Means a great deal to me. And I'm totally gonna be coming after your weighted muscle-up stats! Even if takes me a year. I'll keep you posted. :)
Sweet! But by that time I'll be up around 65lbs. ;)

andycapps

So let's talk about sweet potatoes. I don't really like them too much, but I know they're a healthy source of carbs and I think I need to increase my daily calorie intake some. I've been so focused on "limiting carbs" that I think my body might have gone into starvation mode in some senses.

If I start eating sweet potatoes a few times a week, how bad is it to put about a half tablespoon or so of brown sugar on it? I like them okay that way. Of course some butter is good on them. I'm going to start trying to eat more foods that I don't really like, but because they're good for me. Bananas is another, I don't like how mushy they are. Ditto for sweet potatoes.

It means such claims are almost universally bullshit, and that your father had great genes, congrats to him, doesn't mean they were passed to you, nor that such things mean anything until you're that age.

You don't have well-documented resources on his diet and activity either, so you can't use that to mean anything.

I think I have great genes as well, same as my bro.

But did you even watch that documentary? Go to youtube and search for I want to look like that guy

No need to be an asshole about it, just watch it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

But did you even watch that documentary? Go to youtube and search for I want to look like that guy

lol. I've lost count how many times Petrie has been called an asshole.

Noema

Any recommendations to someone doing SS without access to any machines who can't do many pull or chin ups (like 1 lol)?

I feel I'm falling behind in my back and arms because I can't get much of a workout on these.

Do negatives from the top. You can also do band assisted full reps or ask a buddy to hoist you up for a few forced reps.

Honestly though, if you can do 1 you'll soon e able to do more. Hardest part is being able to do 1.

I recommend doing singles throughout your workout. Like let's say you are resting between squat sets, squeeze 1 reps here and there.

And like BronzeWolf said, they are an accessory exercise. Not that they aren't important, but right now you have more pressing considerations like getting stronger on bench / OHP / squat / deadlift and Power Cleans.

225x11 for me on squats today, which is a new PR for me in terms of reps at that weight.

I think I might be doing them wrong though, for some reason the last few weeks I've been less tense/tight throughout the whole movement which some how allows me to get more reps. Is that cheating?

Why do you always do the same weight on squats?

Noema

But did you watch the documentary? The guy clearly:

• Starved himself to death to reach such low body fat for the contest

Was cranky hungry and sleepy all the time

Dehydrated himself for the contest

Immediately regained a ton of water weight after the contest and lost his six pack

So what's the point of mentioning that Documentary? If anything it shows that for naturals maintaining such low body fat is unsustainable, requires insane dedication and it's probably unhealthy in the long run.

Noema

Because it shows you can reach that bodytype within a year. If you want it bad enough

You mean this body type?

iwanttolooklikethatguy-300x300.png

He was only able to look like this for a couple of days of what he described as a living hell. The guy is in his mid 40s IIRC. A super low body fat level is, for most people, unsustainable, unrealistic and most of all, unhealthy. Some individuals can maintain it without too much work, but I have news for you: if you were one of those individuals you'd know it by now.

Not that having a six pack and keeping it year long is impossible, but if that's all you want then you are in the wrong thread. I suggest you look into P90X or something like that.

Haxxor

Hello again fitgaf!

Need some advice on how to continue.

My main goal is to get strong, real strong, and then also shed some fat, get more muscles, particularly on my arms and ABS.

I started with SS, by the book, but skipped on the PC as my knees couldn't handle them.

For the past 4 months I've toyed around with 5/3/1 and made some alterations to it. Before that about 12 months on SS.

The main lifts are the same and so are the extra 5x10reps at 50% max weight.

But then I've added some extra work after that:

Press day: DB flyes, Side/Rear Lat raise and Low Row HITT on Rowmachine

Deadlift day: Pendlay row, Lat pulldown

Bench day: Face Pull, Krock Row, Shrugs, HITT on Rowmachine

Squat day: Lying Extension, Preacher Curl, Barbell Curl

I do not do HITT every week (depends on what gym I'm in), nor do I do the curls every week as one of my elbows is a bit weak.

I also try to do as many chin ups as I can, but no dips yet, as my elbow is weak.

My current max (the ones I do at the 3d cycle) are:

Press: 57,5kg (3 rep)
Dead: 205kg (1 rep)
Bench:97,5kg (1 rep)
Squat: 135kg (3 reps)

And for my questions:

1. Is this to much work?

2. Is there anything i should change (as in replace with better alternative)?

3. What do I need to add to get phat ABS. Not necessarily visible, but big strong abs. Oh and bigger arms.

Thankful for all advice!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Because it shows you can reach that bodytype within a year. If you want it bad enough

It sounds like you want it bad enough - are you going to do it? If you do give us status updates! I'd love to hear how well it works.

Nah, my goal is to reach close (not that close) to that in a year and a half. I think I can do it, I think I have been gifted with good genes from my fathers side. My bro already has the perfect body. I know I can build muscles fast, because I did it before, just that I didn't stick to that for all that long(lost motivation). Thats going to change now.

sphinx

the piano man
Lovely Salsa, it's o.k to want abs. we all have a right to define our goals and go there the way we like but there is one thing that I truly recommend you to change.

Stop thinking about how much time you need to reach that particular goal, just train hard and learn to love the discipline.

You remind of people that want to learn how to play the piano and ask me (before taking ONE lesson!!), ....will I be able to play Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven in 6 months if I take lessons? in 1 year?... I'd like to answer straight up, "FUCK NO!!, you can't read notes and that takes more than a year to master, Moongliht Sonata has thousands of notes to read!!, you'll take a hole evening to read 10 of them and you'll forget them the next day.... Take lessons, play what you are supposed to play for a novice and give it your best shot and just learn", that would be my answer.

the same happens here, you just want to get some far away result but you don't seem to care about the discipline of strength training as a whole, the effort it requires and how things are supposed to evolve.

Please don't be mad at me, I just think that having a different mindset would help you reach your goals easier and more happily.

strafer

hehe Arnold be pumping dem irons :p

This brought me back. While I was doing my photo shoot this week for Muscle and Fitness, I could practically hear Joe Weider screaming, "Come on Arnold! What's wrong with you? Pull in the stomach." Watch for the issue in September!

u8CMmex.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
Sunflower, I love you Brah, but I don't speak WWE. Remember: I'm Mexican.

I grew up watching Lucha Libre.

Did you ever try "Hurracarranas" (no idea what they are called in english) as a kid?

I remember trying that move with my neighbors but was too dangerous, we'd always end up all beaten up and bruised :p

Cudder

Why do you always do the same weight on squats?

To be honest I don't know. I guess I like hitting certain rep milestones (in this case 12, as I've kept a 12-10-8 rep scheme for everything I do) before i move up the weight? I like progressing in reps at a certain weight before I move the weight up.

Lovely Salsa, it's o.k to want abs. we all have a right to define our goals and go there the way we like but there is one thing that I truly recommend you to change.

Stop thinking about how much time you need to reach that particular goal, just train hard and learn to love the discipline.

You remind of people that want to learn how to play the piano and ask me (before taking ONE lesson!!), ....will I be able to play Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven in 6 months if I take lessons? in 1 year?... I'd like to answer straight up, "FUCK NO!!, you can't read notes and that takes more than a year to master, Moongliht Sonata has thousands of notes to read!!, you'll take a hole evening to read 10 of them and you'll forget them the next day.... Take lessons, play what you are supposed to play for a novice and give it your best shot and just learn", that would be my answer.

the same happens here, you just want to get some far away result but you don't seem to care about the discipline of strength training as a whole, the effort it requires and how things are supposed to evolve.

Please don't be mad at me, I just think that having a different mindset would help you reach your goals easier and more happily.

Ok, the thing is I thought it was this simple:

I was thinking more like, IF I'm lucky with my genes I can gain 9 kg of muscles in the first year. If I'm able to do that and then cut my bf % after that by 10%, shouldn't it be likely that I would have visible abs after that? Say that I bulk to 91 kgs and have 18% bf and then cut down to 8 %, I should have defined abs right? :p

Can you explain why my thinking is ....overthinking(I'm sure there's a better word for it)? Except my hope of the lucky genes from my dad....that my bro got

Please correct me if I'm wrong to think this. I want to have visible abs while I'm still young , so to say :p

Thats why I seem like "rushing it"

Or maybe he's just tired of hearing the same bullshit over and over again.

Then he should ignore it, since it seems like he's constantly called an asshole

"No, it shows that he could reach that in a year. You don't know if you can do it as well just by watching a documentary."

I never said I could, I said it was possible. Which he said was BS (about the guy)

Imm0rt4l

LOL, some little old lady looked at me and said "Wow you have a lot of muscles" and I jokingly told her I do a lot of yoga.
Haha I do this whenever someone makes a comment like that or asks if I even lift. Yoga or Pilate's.
I'm trying to imagine what I would look like under that weight.

Knees destroyed
Back snapped in half
Anal prolapse rupturing my singlet
followed shortly by my head falling out my ass
Blood everywhere
Feces everywhere

All of this in one fluid motion.

Press day: DB flyes, Side/Rear Lat raise and Low Row HITT on Rowmachine
Deadlift day: Pendlay row, Lat pulldown
Bench day: Face Pull, Krock Row, Shrugs, HITT on Rowmachine
Squat day: Lying Extension, Preacher Curl, Barbell Curl

1. Is this to much work?
Are you still adding weight to the bar on each cycle? If you are then, no. But to me, it seems you are doing one accessory too many for each lift day.
On press I would cut the Lat raises, On deadlift day I would cut the row, on Bench day I would cut the Krock Rows and on squat day I would cut the preacher curl and lying extensions and just do Barbell Curls + Reverse curls Zielman Curls

2. Is there anything i should change (as in replace with better alternative)?

Did you do SS beginner stage? I think you could squeeze about 50/20 lb on the main lifts on that.

3. What do I need to add to get phat ABS. Not necessarily visible, but big strong abs. Oh and bigger arms.
Abs - Squat heavier, squat heavier and squat heavier. And OHP
Arms - Do two accessory curls on Friday on Hypertrophy range (3x8-12 reps). Press and pull heavier. Dips and Chinups/pullups

sphinx

the piano man
Ok, the thing is I thought it was this simple:

I was thinking more like, IF I'm lucky with my genes I can gain 9 kg of muscles in the first year. If I'm able to do that and then cut my bf % after that by 10%, shouldn't it be likely that I would have visible abs after that? Say that I bulk to 91 kgs and have 18% bf and then cut down to 8 %, I should have defined abs right? :p

Can you explain why my thinking is ....overthinking(I'm sure there's a better word for it)? Except my hope of the lucky genes from my dad....that my bro got

Please correct me if I'm wrong to think this. I want to have visible abs while I'm still young , so to say :p

Thats why I seem like "rushing it"

is not that you are overthinking it, it's that your logic is a bit off. You seem to think that because you have your numbers clear (percentages, kgs,), that the goal is easy to reach.

If you want your abs to pop out, it's not just a matter of bulking and cutting, the actual muscles therein must be trained and hard and for a long period of time. I may be wrong but I think one year is too little time for that.

one question I have is what is your diet like?? how can you be so sure you'll get 9 kgs of muscle mass in that year? that is not very likely to happen just by using every machine you come across in your gym. The topic of eating nutrition is maybe the hardest part in all of this, if you ask me.

but I am not questioning your goals, I do respect them, and by all means give it your best shot and who knows maybe you are quite happy after a year, even if you don't look exactly like what you had in mind. Just try to learn as much as you can. You are just starting, there's always a lot to learn.

make pics and gives us updates, I thnk most of us here are sceptical but maybe you proves us wrong :p,

Noema

To be honest I don't know. I guess I like hitting certain rep milestones (in this case 12, as I've kept a 12-10-8 rep scheme for everything I do) before i move up the weight? I like progressing in reps at a certain weight before I move the weight up.

That's pretty poor programming to be honest. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's not an efficient way of training. If you train to get stronger, you'll also be able to do more reps at lower weights. The best way of getting stronger at 225lb on the squat is by being able to squat much more than 225lb. If you get your squat to 315lbx5 you'll probably be able to do 225lbx20 without too much trouble. Doing the same weight to failure until you reach a certain rep limit is hard to quantify, specially with compound lifts.

Do what you want, of course, but I suggest you limit your sets to 5 reps, and strive to add weight to the bar every session, even if it's only 5lb.

That's pretty poor programming to be honest. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's not an efficient way of training. If you train to get stronger, you'll also be able to do more reps at lower weights. The best way of getting stronger at 225lb on the squat is by being able to squat much more than 225lb. If you get your squat to 315lbx5 you'll probably be able to do 225lbx20 without too much trouble. Doing the same weight to failure until you reach a certain rep limit is hard to quantify, specially with compound lifts.

Do what you want, of course, but I suggest you limit your sets to 5 reps, and strive to add weight to the bar every session, even if it's only 5lb.

It can work out though. Doing a set of 20 rep breathing squats is an actual program.

Simplet

WTF my gym is closed until the 20th! And I'm paying for that month!?

I don't even know what I'm going to do, between nothing at all, going back to p90x for a while or doing some bodyweight exercise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WTF my gym is closed until the 20th! And I'm paying for that month!?

I don't even know what I'm going to do, between nothing at all, going back to p90x for a while or doing some bodyweight exercise.

I don't know, that's fucked, completely. They should pro-rate your membership, seriously. Just don't be a...heh..."Simplet" about it. Goddamn your name is making me laugh.

Szu

I'm trying to imagine what I would look like under that weight.

Knees destroyed
Back snapped in half
Anal prolapse rupturing my singlet
followed shortly by my head falling out my ass
Blood everywhere
Feces everywhere

All of this in one fluid motion.

While morbid, I would find that impressive too.

is not that you are overthinking it, it's that your logic is a bit off. You seem to think that because you have your numbers clear (percentages, kgs,), that the goal is easy to reach.

If you want your abs to pop out, it's not just a matter of bulking and cutting, the actual muscles therein must be trained and hard and for a long period of time. I may be wrong but I think one year is too little time for that.

one question I have is what is your diet like?? how can you be so sure you'll get 9 kgs of muscle mass in that year? that is not very likely to happen just by using every machine you come across in your gym. The topic of eating nutrition is maybe the hardest part in all of this, if you ask me.

but I am not questioning your goals, I do respect them, and by all means give it your best shot and who knows maybe you are quite happy after a year, even if you don't look exactly like what you had in mind. Just try to learn as much as you can. You are just starting, there's always a lot to learn.

make pics and gives us updates, I thnk most of us here are sceptical but maybe you proves us wrong :p,

My start weight: 76,5 kg, my end weight goal: 90-91 kgs. My hope is that 9 kg of that gain is muscle. 2 days a week I only train my abs area, to strenghten them

My diet is: eat everything healthy. Fish, veggies, sallad, chicken, whey 100% gold etc. I almost never eat candies, chocolate, pizza or any of that which is considered "unhealthy". I rarely ever even have the urge to eat that kind food these days

I'm going to hire a PT this month to help me out with my goal. Later on I'm going to count my callories, which I'm also going to ask help for. The first month I've gained 2,2 kg, which was around my goal for the first month so I've been eating right amount. The next I'm going for 1-1,5 kg

TBH, I'm already liking my body. Hopefully my slow bulk will help me keep the lean look all the way through so that it makes it easy for me

Simplet

I'm thinking I might just go swimming every day, get a nice tan, lose some weight, rest my knees and hope for the best when I come back. There's a fucking heat wave in here anyway.

Is this going to kill all my progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom