• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Please explain what makes raw milk better than pasteurized or UHT milk.

http://www.draxe.com/video/pasteurization-homogenization-raw-milk/

the higher temp the pasteurization, the more the nutrients in the milk are actually destroyed/denatured/broken down. It's give and take really... Shelf life vs. health benefits. Raw milk of course has its own dangers, especially if you don't use it quickly enough or can't trust where you are getting it from.

So yeah, it's give or take... but honestly in the US and Canada, I honestly can't recommend ultra-pasteurized products.. The ONLY one to benefit from them are the companies selling them.

Raw is "the best" by a small margin... but even then I personally wouldn't actually bother unless a) I could trust the farmer and b) the cows were proven to be grass fed. If both of those were the case, I use enough milk that I could actually sustain buying/using raw milk. If you simply don't use that much milk, than at the worst just go with regular pasteurized (preferably grass fed whole)

MjFrancis

Go for long walks if you want to do conditioning.
I used to get down on myself for skipping on conditioning so much. Then I measured how far I walk on a typical eight hour workday and found out I walk 10-12 miles a day. That's with a few different pedometers, too. I go on walks and hikes with my son and wife a few days a week as well and for the past month I've been working 12 hour shifts most days of the week. I move around more those shifts but I've never measured how much.

So even when I look at the stadium steps and say "nope," I'm still getting something in. I'm glad I don't have a desk job.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have a dog, that's all the walking I need! Spend an hour with her on a long walk. Win-win. But we ain't runnin!

http://www.draxe.com/video/pasteurization-homogenization-raw-milk/

the higher temp the pasteurization, the more the nutrients in the milk are actually destroyed/denatured/broken down. It's give and take really... Shelf life vs. health benefits. Raw milk of course has its own dangers, especially if you don't use it quickly enough or can't trust where you are getting it from.

So yeah, it's give or take... but honestly in the US and Canada, I honestly can't recommend ultra-pasteurized products.. The ONLY one to benefit from them are the companies selling them.

Raw is "the best" by a small margin... but even then I personally wouldn't actually bother unless a) I could trust the farmer and b) the cows were proven to be grass fed. If both of those were the case, I use enough milk that I could actually sustain buying/using raw milk. If you simply don't use that much milk, than at the worst just go with regular pasteurized (preferably grass fed whole)

That guy has no sources for his statements. In addition, I think he's doing a massive disservice to the public by telling people to "go raw with your milk" without even a brief mention of any potential hazards; raw milk being a relatively excellent source for pathogenic bacteria. Furthermore, I don't have the studies handy but I'll get links for them later, the nutrient difference in UHT milk compared to raw milk is minimal. Yes, the enzymes are nuked, and yes, some water-soluble vitamins (such as vitamin C) will be destroyed, but it's relatively unlikely that the average American is hurting badly for the few nutrients that get destroyed in pasteurized milk.

I can concede that yes, raw milk has a mild nutritional advantage over pasteurized milk, but I cannot see how anyone is in such dire need to make up that small nutritional difference that it's worth the significant risk of consuming raw milk over pasteurized.

In your original post, you mention it's specifically bad for the cholesterol in milk. Any follow-up with that? The link you sent doesn't really mention cholesterols. I will agree with your statement about avoiding skim milk, as I get the general feeling (though I'm not sure science backs it up) that whole milk is definitely the way to go. I'm just not in agreement that raw milk is a good suggestion over pasteurized milk.

So I squat 3 days a week based on SS, moving up to 175 on Wednesday... How can I incorporate running or cardio into this?

I bought a jump rope recently. Sounds weird, but it is a lot more tiring than I remember it being as a little kid. The 5/3/1 book even has a little snippet for a good warm-up/conditioning routine with it:

1x5DAGa.jpg

borghe

In your original post, you mention it's specifically bad for the cholesterol in milk. Any follow-up with that? The link you sent doesn't really mention cholesterols. I will agree with your statement about avoiding skim milk, as I get the general feeling (though I'm not sure science backs it up) that whole milk is definitely the way to go. I'm just not in agreement that raw milk is a good suggestion over pasteurized milk.
The cholesterol damage is from the dehydration process for powdered milk. Separate from UHT. I actually haven't seen it in a while, but maybe 5-10 years back when you looked at a lot of store-brand skim milks the ingredients would be like "skim milk, water, powdered skim milk, vitamin D"

Overall we are in agreement. My only point with UHT is that in the US IMHO there is zero reason to go with UHT. There is plentiful enough dairy here that HT pasteurization is a fair enough mix between shelf life and healthfulness. And yeah, IF you can trust the farmer to have sterile equipment, AND they grass feed their cows, AND you use enough milk that it's not going bad, raw milk is the best... but admittedly that's a lot of "ifs". Ironically I satisfy all of them, but my state actually has raw milk as illegal........ ffs. As such farmers are not at all interested in cozying up with anyone not a REAL friend (i.e. actual friend) to sell raw milk to.

Szu

I haven't checked in for a while. What the hell happened?

Cooter - Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope everything works out for the best.

sphinx - Get well and heal up.

Sunflower - What happened?

Thanks Sean, I am taking the medicine as prescribed I hope it makes a difference.

HUH? what the hell happened?

He called some MS executives "Sony viral marketers" but that cannot be it, right? Must be something else I'm missing in his recent post history.

The cholesterol damage is from the dehydration process for powdered milk. Separate from UHT. I actually haven't seen it in a while, but maybe 5-10 years back when you looked at a lot of store-brand skim milks the ingredients would be like "skim milk, water, powdered skim milk, vitamin D"

Overall we are in agreement. My only point with UHT is that in the US IMHO there is zero reason to go with UHT. There is plentiful enough dairy here that HT pasteurization is a fair enough mix between shelf life and healthfulness. And yeah, IF you can trust the farmer to have sterile equipment, AND they grass feed their cows, AND you use enough milk that it's not going bad, raw milk is the best... but admittedly that's a lot of "ifs". Ironically I satisfy all of them, but my state actually has raw milk as illegal........ ffs. As such farmers are not at all interested in cozying up with anyone not a REAL friend (i.e. actual friend) to sell raw milk to.

Yeah, I think we're in some agreement here, I'm just more strongly against raw milk I think. I haven't noticed anything besides added vitamin D in any milk for years at my local grocery chains. I'll need to go on a hunt for some re-added dehydrated powder, because now I'm curious. Maybe I need to look at some of the organic stuff instead, I tend to just buy whatever "regular" milk is cheapest.

MjFrancis

I liked raw milk when I could readily buy it, but the author's claim that "If you’re drinking conventional milk, you must stop! Why? Because it's dangerous for your health." is making a mountain out of a molehill. So if you drink ultra-pasteurized milk, you're losing out on some vitamins and minerals (how much, he doesn't even bother spelling out) and you could become lactose intolerant.

Anyone who equates that with "dangerous for your health" must be scared shitless of squatting.

I don't suppose Borghe even thinks pasteurized milk is as dangerous as the author claims it is from what I've read.

borghe

I don't suppose Borghe even thinks pasteurized milk is as dangerous as the author claims it is from what I've read.

like I said, it's all convenience vs. health. The more pasteurized, the longer the shelf life but fewer the nutrients. The less pasteurized the shorter the shelf life but more nutrients. Raw milk has more enzymes and cultures that are beneficial to you, but if the farm you are getting it from isn't taking care with how it's collecting it, you could be in a world of hurt with botulism and such. Not to mention its refrigerated shelf life is measured in days, certainly not a week (or more like HT).

My main argument was and is against UHT. I get the need for it, especially in either developing countries, or countries with low population density or poor shipping transit. But in the US it's mostly there to benefit the companies.. You can buy HT milk in anything from pints to quarts to half gallons based on how quickly you use it. UHT has no consumer benefit in the US.

as for lactose tolerance... we ALL become increasingly lactose intolerant. Every single last one of us. The bottom line is that our body's ability to produce lactase drops over time. Some of us (strongly believed to be mostly descended from northern european dairy farmers) still end up producing enough lactase over our lifetimes to never technically be lactose intolerant. Most of us though drop enough in lactase production that by the time we hit adulthood we are noticeably lactose intolerant to varying degrees (most without even realizing it. Same thing with gluten intolerance.).

Just realized OP suggests 1x5 for deadlift. I have been doing 3x5. Should I up the weight and do 1x5 instead?

Also, I assume it is pretty normal to have deadlift > squat > bench? Here are what I am doing right now, still a novice (solo, so not max or whatever):

Deadlift - 155
Squat - 125
Bench - 115

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I drink all the milk, not giving 1 oz of high protein/high carb fucks.

Just realized OP suggests 1x5 for deadlift. I have been doing 3x5. Should I up the weight and do 1x5 instead?

Also, I assume it is pretty normal to have deadlift > squat > bench? Here are what I am doing right now, still a novice (solo, so not max or whatever):

Deadlift - 155
Squat - 125
Bench - 115

You need to realize that 1x5 is a "working set" so you still have warm up sets.

And yes, that's normal to a point. at a higher level people's squat MAY overtake their deadlift.

For instance, right now my squat is only in the low to mid 400s, my deadlift is 600lbs and my bench is around 375-380 at the moment.

I drink all the milk, not giving 1 oz of high protein/high carb fucks.

You need to realize that 1x5 is a "working set" so you still have warm up sets.

And yes, that's normal to a point. at a higher level people's squat MAY overtake their deadlift.

For instance, right now my squat is only in the low to mid 400s, my deadlift is 600lbs and my bench is around 375-380 at the moment.

Well shit. lol

Okay thanks. I didn't realize people did warm-up sets. Is that just at a low weight? Or the same weight?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well shit. lol

Okay thanks. I didn't realize people did warm-up sets. Is that just at a low weight? Or the same weight?

Glad we are having this conversation then as it will help you keep from destroying yourself. ALWAYS warm up.

Typically you warm up to get your joints, tissues etc warm, filled with blood and ready to go. You're also prepping your CNS (central nervous system) to be ready to handle the load.

If you jump into a 315lb bench straight from the bar you're gonna get stapled to the bench or at the very least it's gonna feel like you have 400lbs on your chest. This is because your CNS didn't get "prepped."

Think about it like this, have you ever been bowling? If you have, ever use a lighter ball most of the game, switch to a much heavier ball, then switch back to the lighter ball? Suddenly that ball feels like a wiffle ball. That's because your CNS became accustomed to using a heavier weight, thus your body is prepped to perform with that weight. Same applies to lifting weights.

As for warming up. To keep it simple I'd simply warm up with the bar in the lift you're doing and incrementally add weight working up to your working set. This is all going to depend on your "level." And you will learn the best way to do it for yourself.

And the thing is your numbers are so low (now trying to cut you down at all just making an observation) that you actually are probably better served starting out with dynamic warmups rather than weighted warm ups, but what I've said here will still apply to you as you get stronger.

Also, here's an example excerpt from the ISSM manual I have on how to warm up for a specific weight.

ISSM said:
Making weight increases during your training: I see people in the gym every day who have no clue how
to warm-up and make jumps to their top set. A good rule of thumb is: if you can only bench 245lbs you shouldn’t
make 225lbs your first set! Here is an example of how I would have a lifter warm up to a max single attempt of
275lbs
Empty bar: After a short warm-up, take 10 – 12 empty bar reps.
135x10 reps, 135x8 reps, 185x5, 225x2, 255x1, 275x1
You want to be liberal with the lighter sets to make sure you are warmed up properly but then really keep the
heavier reps to a minimum to save your strength. You also do not want to take massive jumps either, the shock of
a 60% increase will almost always result in a missed lift.
I also suggest that a lifter with lower strength levels really should have fractional plates on hand.
Fractional plates are ½lb and 1lb plates to make jumps smaller than 5lbs. If you can only overhead press 70lbs it’s
very hard to take 5lb jumps successfully. It would be very useful for that lifter to be able to go to 71lbs and then
72lbs. These plates can be purchased from various sites on the internet, and they are something you can just keep
in your gym bag for your own use.

Hope this helps.

Chocobro

And the thing is your numbers are so low (now trying to cut you down at all just making an observation) that you actually are probably better served starting out with dynamic warmups rather than weighted warm ups, but what I've said here will still apply to you as you get stronger.
My numbers are lower than his but wouldn't doing weighted warm-up sets allow you to practice form?
I do both dynamic warm-ups and weighted warm-ups.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If I keep getting compliments like this from the gym I go to from guys this huge, I'm gonna get a big fucking head.

In my mind these dudes shouldn't even be giving me the time of day.

Look at these guys. They are both cool as shit, and know their shit too (obviously).

1377377_10200229443012268_944177420_n.jpg

1004454_10151783799433833_745181034_n.jpg

My numbers are lower than his but wouldn't doing weighted warm-up sets allow you to practice form?
I do both dynamic warm-ups and weighted warm-ups.

You're gonna "practice form" with the weight/volume anyway. Get warmed up first.

What a stupid reason to ban someone, free my dude Sunflower!

If he was in my prison, I'd make him my orderly. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your gym looks dank, dimly lit, and dirty. I'm supremely jealous.

It's glorious, you should see the bathroom.

Seriously though, you shouldn't but the gym is awesome as hell, the guys are awesome, and it's all about strength/bodybulding. That said, there's still casual people who come in too. No one's an asshole that I've seen and I can train how I wanna train.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's awesome Brolic, and your compliments are well deserved. You bust your ass.

Thanks man, I know I work hard, but to have guys like that make random comments makes it seem surreal. Those two dudes are monsters and have always been the bigger guys in the gym. The top one I used to run into at Golds and now he's at the gym I'm at now.

Like I said, both are super cool. Guy on the bottom is award winning body builder and that picture isn't just "good lighting" dude is massive.

thundr51

First off, I have to say that the OP is AWESOME. It answered a lot of the questions that I had before posting. Even if nobody replies, thanks for the OP.

Now, on to business

•Height: 5'9
•Weight: 254
•Goal: 195-200
•Current Training Schedule: At this moment nothing, will explain later
•Current Training Equipment Available: Old bowflex (rubber is too old, selling soon) ,bowflex selecttech dumbbells (one is broken, one still works)
•Comments:

I used to be in shape. I had a Soloflex and it worked great, got down to 205ish. Sold my house and bought a new one (new construction) and because I didn't have room in storage gave it to some neighbors that were friends to keep until the new house was finished. While I was waiting, neighbors divorced each other and husband took the soloflex.

Got the selecttech dumbbells and tried to use them with multiple programs but nothing stuck. Tried them again with P90x for 90 days. Knees started hurting because of the plyometrics and decide to cut that part, only lost about 5lbs. Frustrated, I tried some Mens health workouts but still nothing stuck. It was getting harder to workout as I changed jobs and had to wake up earlier. To make matters worse one of the kids dropped one of the weights and broke it.

Decided to try a used bowflex, bad idea. Some of the exercises were awkward and I couldn't tell if I was doing them right. The bands resistance was shot and didn't feel like it was worth it to replace them. Decided to try doing sets of pushups, situps, whatever, just wanted to be working out. Had to stop doing the pushups as my hands were hurting badly, turned out to be Carpal tunnel.

I WANT/NEED to do something. I'm still watching my diet and drinking mostly water but it's not enough. I figure I'm going to try one of the beginner plans from the OP but first I need some gear. I tried going to the local gym but by the time I arrive the place is packed and looks like they're giving away money or something.

So at this point I'm looking to get some more dumbbells since my selecttechs are busted and I don't feel like buying another set. I know most dumbbells are sold separately but not really sure how many/what weight sets to get.

tl;dr - I'm fat, want to lift but need suggestions on weights.

Don't know, don't care and I've never heard either one claim either way. The only time it ever matters is if someone falsely presents themselves be it in competition or in the vein of training/giving advice.

No prob, was just wondering because I know you once said you had juicers at your gym. That top guy is what I would consider a goal body for me

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No prob, was just wondering because I know you once said you had juicers at your gym. That top guy is what I would consider a goal body for me

He works hard as hell, gear or not, you HAVE to put the work in.

As for my comment before, there's people on gear in every gym, even guys you wouldn't expect are on gear.

SeanR1221

First off, I have to say that the OP is AWESOME. It answered a lot of the questions that I had before posting. Even if nobody replies, thanks for the OP.

Now, on to business

•Height: 5'9
•Weight: 254
•Goal: 195-200
•Current Training Schedule: At this moment nothing, will explain later
•Current Training Equipment Available: Old bowflex (rubber is too old, selling soon) ,bowflex selecttech dumbbells (one is broken, one still works)
•Comments:

I used to be in shape. I had a Soloflex and it worked great, got down to 205ish. Sold my house and bought a new one (new construction) and because I didn't have room in storage gave it to some neighbors that were friends to keep until the new house was finished. While I was waiting, neighbors divorced each other and husband took the soloflex.

Got the selecttech dumbbells and tried to use them with multiple programs but nothing stuck. Tried them again with P90x for 90 days. Knees started hurting because of the plyometrics and decide to cut that part, only lost about 5lbs. Frustrated, I tried some Mens health workouts but still nothing stuck. It was getting harder to workout as I changed jobs and had to wake up earlier. To make matters worse one of the kids dropped one of the weights and broke it.

Decided to try a used bowflex, bad idea. Some of the exercises were awkward and I couldn't tell if I was doing them right. The bands resistance was shot and didn't feel like it was worth it to replace them. Decided to try doing sets of pushups, situps, whatever, just wanted to be working out. Had to stop doing the pushups as my hands were hurting badly, turned out to be Carpal tunnel.

I WANT/NEED to do something. I'm still watching my diet and drinking mostly water but it's not enough. I figure I'm going to try one of the beginner plans from the OP but first I need some gear. I tried going to the local gym but by the time I arrive the place is packed and looks like they're giving away money or something.

So at this point I'm looking to get some more dumbbells since my selecttechs are busted and I don't feel like buying another set. I know most dumbbells are sold separately but not really sure how many/what weight sets to get.

tl;dr - I'm fat, want to lift but need suggestions on weights.

Get a barbell, set of plates, adjustable bench and a power rack.

Check out craigslist.

Teggy

I finally got around to doing a sleep study last week and confirmed something I have suspected for quite a while, that I have sleep apnea. People have complained about my snoring for pretty much my entire life, so it's possibly I have had this condition for quite a while (now 40). I was recorded as having 46 events per hour during REM sleep, which was called "moderate"(!)

I wonder what kind of effects on my health not having this treated has had. I wonder if I even know what it's like to have a good night's sleep. I wonder if workouts will start to feel different once I've had some good sleep, since I tend to have breathing problems when I really push it.

Glad we are having this conversation then as it will help you keep from destroying yourself. ALWAYS warm up.

Typically you warm up to get your joints, tissues etc warm, filled with blood and ready to go. You're also prepping your CNS (central nervous system) to be ready to handle the load.

If you jump into a 315lb bench straight from the bar you're gonna get stapled to the bench or at the very least it's gonna feel like you have 400lbs on your chest. This is because your CNS didn't get "prepped."

Think about it like this, have you ever been bowling? If you have, ever use a lighter ball most of the game, switch to a much heavier ball, then switch back to the lighter ball? Suddenly that ball feels like a wiffle ball. That's because your CNS became accustomed to using a heavier weight, thus your body is prepped to perform with that weight. Same applies to lifting weights.

As for warming up. To keep it simple I'd simply warm up with the bar in the lift you're doing and incrementally add weight working up to your working set. This is all going to depend on your "level." And you will learn the best way to do it for yourself.

Also, here's an example excerpt from the ISSM manual I have on how to warm up for a specific weight.

Hope this helps.
That is very helpful, thanks. I tried warming up today with just the bar before doing bench and it felt good. Reminded me of the idea of muscle memory for whatever reason. As I increase the weight I will probably add a weighted warm-up set, but for now just the bar seemed fine.

I always do 10 min of cardio before I lift, usually on the elliptical. Then I go to the bench press, deadlift, then squat. Not sure why that order, feels good that way. I'm going to try to add pull-ups if I can. When I'm not tired I can do maybe 7, but I feel like if I try them after lifting I'll probably only do 2 :lol.

edit: I try to do other exercises as well, leg curls/extensions, some calf thing, some free weights etc. I'll be adding the press/clean and jerk later on after spending more time in the gym.

J. Bravo

I just got back from a session with my trainer friend and he was working on my leg, which I broke a few months ago. I had asked him to help break up the scar tissue in my leg. He started by getting knots out of my calf and loosening that up. Then he moved to my ankle, where I then felt the greatest pain I've ever felt.

But now I'm way more mobile. And I'm going to schedule some more sessions, because $20 is cheap af, especially for something I need. He also said he'll teach me to do it to myself, which is nice of him.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I don't say this to many dudes, but I love you.

Aww shucks!

As for my back...Did BB rows followed by mid-shin rack pulls up to 240kgx5 for 2 sets and 5x20 pullups yesterday. Have put off DLs for a while since my lower back/spine gets a sharp stabbing pain when pulling anything heavy off the floor, feels like my lower spine is severed. Deficit/snatch grip DL, RDLs, rows, full squats and even rack pulls haven't bothered me.

ILoveBish

Might sign up with 24 hour fitness, $50 + $30 a month. They generally pretty good?

That is a rip off. Costco has the 2 year 24 hour fitness membership for 330 or something like that. It works out to less then 15/month and you can go to any of the bottom 2 tier clubs (the majority of them).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Aww shucks!

As for my back...Did BB rows followed by mid-shin rack pulls up to 240kgx5 for 2 sets and 5x20 pullups yesterday. Have put off DLs for a while since my lower back/spine gets a sharp stabbing pain when pulling anything heavy off the floor, feels like my lower spine is severed. Deficit/snatch grip DL, RDLs, rows, full squats and even rack pulls haven't bothered me.

Well at least there's things you CAN do, so there's a plus. Plus your rack pulls are still up there.

Kind of odd the main thing that bothers it is regular pulls.

How do sumo pulls work for you?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well at least there's things you CAN do, so there's a plus. Plus your rack pulls are still up there.

Kind of odd the main thing that bothers it is regular pulls.

How do sumo pulls work for you?

Haven't attempted sumo pulls yet, it didn't even cross my mind, might give them a try. But ya atleast I can work my back out, erectors got hit good on the rack pulls.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haven't attempted sumo pulls yet, it didn't even cross my mind, might give them a try. But ya atleast I can work my back out, erectors got hit good on the rack pulls.

Could be what you're looking for so long as your hips aren't beat up and from the sound of it, they aren't.

If/when you get around to it, I'd be interested to know how it goes.

Still trying to determine my work set weight for front squats. Hit a few sets of 3 reps at 135 lbs. Compared to back squats, about how does a front squat compare? 50%? 75%? Seems it should be lower than back squats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom