• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooray, finally got my first 5 reps on OHP at 60 kg. Went 5/4/4/4/4.

The sad: struggled to front squat 65 kg for 5x5 :( Damn weak lower body. Oh well, back squats on Friday, currently at 105 kg for my sets.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
140lb Squats, all sets of 3 successful. Also, I finally was able to get up all my sets for 75lb OHP's. Very happy with today's workout. I'm feeling so much stronger than I felt at the beginning of Summer.

All right people! Finally done with my qualifiers, I can go back to the gym

Also finished my diet, ended at 179lb @14% bf. Not so shaby.

It's now time for bulking season har har har

Mr.Fresh

Been doing push ups, Pull ups, Squats, Sit Ups and jogging in the park everyday since it's hard for me to get to a inexpensive gym. I pretty much workout everyday until I'm to tired to go on. Just have some questions. Anything else you guys recommend? As for a healthy diet starting tomorrow I'm gonna try this.

Breakfast: 4 boiled eggs, 2 turkey bacon slices or cereal.
Snack:Almonds or Peanuts
Lunch: Sandwich or salad or grilled chicken wrap.
Snack: peanuts or almonds
Dinner: Progresso light soup with rice.

How is this for an everyday thing? Are Progresso souls even healthy?
Is this diet even healthy?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ok so maybe I can't continue my linear progression for a month lol. Finally stalled on deadlifts. Attempted 255 tonight but was dead after 3 reps. Wanted more of course but knew I would have likely hurt myself.

Current numbers atm for the big 4 lifts are as follows:
5x3
Bench Press:150 lbs
OHP:95 lbs
Squat:230 lbs

5x1
Deadlift: 245 lbs

Gonna finish off this week of Greyskull on Friday but after that anyone think I'm about ready to switch to an intermediate program like 5/3/1? And again for reference I'm 23, about 5'5, and weight 141 lbs.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so maybe I can't continue my linear progression for a month lol. Finally stalled on deadlifts. Attempted 255 tonight but was dead after 3 reps. Wanted more of course but knew I would have likely hurt myself.

Current numbers atm for the big 4 lifts are as follows:
5x3
Bench Press:150 lbs
OHP:95 lbs
Squat:230 lbs

5x1
Deadlift: 245 lbs

Gonna finish off this week of Greyskull on Friday but after that anyone think I'm about ready to switch to an intermediate program like 5/3/1? And again for reference I'm 23, about 5'5, and weight 141 lbs.
I'd say the biggest factor in whether you switch routines should be how you feel. You're at the stage now where you wouldn't be slowing your progress that much by switching over, even if you could get 20 or so lbs extra that bit quicker sticking to SS. It's not a race and you're not on a timetable, so if you're stalling and training sessions are becoming daunting and draining I see no reason not to change to a slower progression.

Petrie

Banned
Today should be my squats 5/3/1 and deads BBB day, but I'm running in a zombie 5K on Saturday and this has me debating either putting it off till Sunday entirely or just doing my squats and bailing right after. I'm sure I could manage it but I'd certainly be feeling it SDaturday, and as always it's a marathon and you have to enjoy yourself along the way. What would you guys do? Skip entirely, just do squats, or man up and do the full load?

I should've planned better so an upper body day would've fallen today.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Been doing push ups, Pull ups, Squats, Sit Ups and jogging in the park everyday since it's hard for me to get to a inexpensive gym. I pretty much workout everyday until I'm to tired to go on. Just have some questions. Anything else you guys recommend? As for a healthy diet starting tomorrow I'm gonna try this.

Breakfast: 4 boiled eggs, 2 turkey bacon slices or cereal.
Snack:Almonds or Peanuts
Lunch: Sandwich or salad or grilled chicken wrap.
Snack: peanuts or almonds
Dinner: Progresso light soup with rice.

How is this for an everyday thing? Are Progresso souls even healthy?
Is this diet even healthy?

Are you trying to cut weight? Because I'd be starving on a diet like that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'd say the biggest factor in whether you switch routines should be how you feel. You're at the stage now where you wouldn't be slowing your progress that much by switching over, even if you could get 20 or so lbs extra that bit quicker sticking to SS. It's not a race and you're not on a timetable, so if you're stalling and training sessions are becoming daunting and draining I see no reason not to change to a slower progression.

Yeah I feel like i'm just about at my limit at least for sure now in bench. OHP it takes me a deload to go up in weight and at 100 lbs I barely got 5 reps. Squat I may still have that last 5 lb jump in me and deadlift not sure if a deload will help since 255 was really heavy for me. Thanks for the advice.

MjFrancis

Today should be my squats 5/3/1 and deads BBB day, but I'm running in a zombie 5K on Saturday and this has me debating either putting it off till Sunday entirely or just doing my squats and bailing right after. I'm sure I could manage it but I'd certainly be feeling it SDaturday, and as always it's a marathon and you have to enjoy yourself along the way. What would you guys do? Skip entirely, just do squats, or man up and do the full load?

I should've planned better so an upper body day would've fallen today.
Is it 5k or is it a marathon? You mention both. If it's the former, I'd squat and deadlift today and run the 5k Saturday, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

early morning pics, looking flat, boring, skinny, etc.

don't look 252/253 at all. can still somewhat see abs, bulk going wrong. oh nooooooooooo

MvyAzTE.jpg

4ty0PFf.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Cranky!!!!

We're still missing Mully :(

I just want to say, being a part of this thread/community is one of the important pieces I personally need to stay on top of my fitness.

So you guys all indirectly and directly influence what I'm trying to accomplish with myself. Thanks.

SeanR1221

I just want to say, being a part of this thread/community is one of the important pieces I personally need to stay on top of my fitness.

So you guys all indirectly and directly influence what I'm trying to accomplish with myself. Thanks.

It's the accountability. Were like Crossfit without the stupid shit.

Looking heeeeeeeooooiooogggggggeeeee, Edge!!

CrankyJay

Banned
It's the accountability. Were like Crossfit without the stupid shit.

Looking heeeeeeeooooiooogggggggeeeee, Edge!!

Pretty much...had a stupid weekend after a great week.

Went back to the gym, ate clean, lost 2-3 pounds...then my birthday happened and my parents came to visit and ate like a jerk all weekend. No excuses for that...luckily still going to the gym but my eating badly now and I'm still making justifications which is bullshit.

Food is like a drug.

Stannis

Have many people here had a dabble with carb backloading?

I've got to say slamming 600g of carbs after leg day feels spectacular. I've only been trying it out the past week and will dial down the carbs if need be but god dam I'm enjoying myself.

MjFrancis

My back already hates me.

The thanks was legit though. I'd have felt shitty skipping any workout.

Dem gainz!
You are quite welcome.

Training is our bread and butter. We'd hate ourselves more if we skipped a training day when it was ultimately unnecessary. I was sick for a week and it sucked noodles.

Petrie

Banned
You are quite welcome.

Training is our bread and butter. We'd hate ourselves more if we skipped a training day when it was ultimately unnecessary. I was sick for a week and it sucked noodles.

I'm always looking for a reason to avoid BBB squats or deads.

Fuck them.

SeanR1221

Pretty much...had a stupid weekend after a great week.

Went back to the gym, ate clean, lost 2-3 pounds...then my birthday happened and my parents came to visit and ate like a jerk all weekend. No excuses for that...luckily still going to the gym but my eating badly now and I'm still making justifications which is bullshit.

Food is like a drug.

Don't get too hung up on your birthday.

Mines in 10 days. I already have it planned out. Tons of Chinese food, football and then a big ass Stromboli later.

Oh and benching all before this.

Am I the only one who hates bench days? Seriously, they are my least favorite day. Ohp is a close 2nd.

In terms of how fucking dead I feel afterwards, from most painful to least painful, I'd give the following ranks:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench
OHP

Squat is my "least favorite" in the sense that it seems the most taxing, with deadlift a close second. Bench is way, way less taxing for me it seems, with OHP even less-so. That doesn't mean I'm not giving it my all on those days, just that squat/deadlift seem to engage my whole body more so than bench or OHP.

Today is my 1s day for bench, which is the end of my 1s week. Looking forward to a deload next week.

J. Bravo

In order from best to worst:

Squats
Deadlifts
Ohp
Bench
Cardio

Today I'm doing bench and light cardio. Light meaning 25s instead of 45s on the prowler sled, and about half the distance I normally do.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that my gym has two EFTS sleds, but is hard to feel lucky right about now.

I wish my gym had sleds. I've been slowly adding conditioning into my routine and have found jump rope a fun thing to add. Considering buying a sled or prowler some day, but for now, jump rope will suffice. I'll probably get a weighted vest and find a hill to run up and down before I go as far as to get a sled or prowler honestly, if only for the convenience.

Chocobro

Squat/Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench Press

Squats and DLs are pretty equal, love doing them. I just wish I can DL more than once a week because I want to practice my technique/form more; my BP/OHP/squat form is pretty solid for now I think.

I toured two gyms near my home since I didn't have engineering lab today and was allowed to go home early. Behind my home is Tightan Fitness: pretty cramped weight room, only one squat rack and one power rack, no room for DLs and Oly lifts, lots of space for classes though. Club Fitness New York is much nicer but pretty expensive. Third floor has all of the machines, weights, benches, one power rack, one squat rack, cardio machines. Second floor has stretching, boxing, yoga-like rooms (?), and a sauna. First floor has some more cardio machines, kettle bells, stretching machines and foam rollers. My favorite is the basement (still not complete). My god, I was so happy. Three power racks, bumper plates, DBs that goes up to 135 lb. I think, a few sleds or prowlers are coming in soon, and has a boxing ring. The floor is pretty much a deadlift platform so yay :) Got myself a one day pass to try it out too.

grumble

Hot mom thread closed for business.

That thread was really starting to frustrate me! So much hostility from those whose lack of activity was being highlighted.

I'm climbing the CN tower in Toronto tonight; wish me luck everyone! I've been away from the gym for a while now (aside from cardio) as work was getting in the way; I'm back to it starting Monday!

blackflag

I think I'm gonna chill on the super heavy lifting and just focus on the swollness for the rest of my bulk.

Bench today was

20 x 185
15 x 225
10 x 275
4 x 315
3 x 315
1 x 350

and i feel like someone hit me in the shoulders with a sledgehammer.

It made the rest of my workout terrible. I may go back to the gym and try to finish later.

blackflag

How often does GNC do the buy 3 get 1 free deal? I wanna stock up on Quest bars

It's been going for months, is it over?

They are less than 22 dollars a box at getrippednutrition.com. You pay shipping but no tax.

Unless you are like me and order 300 dollars worth of stuff then you get free shipping too.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
In terms of big lifts, my favorites from first to last are:

Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Overhead Press

There's something so raw and powerful about simply pulling a heavy-ass object off the ground that makes me feel like a badass caveman when I deadlift.

The squat is great for being the most taxing workout on my overall body, but at the same time it makes me anxious as hell whenever Friday (aka leg day) rolls around.

Fridays and squats man.

It's something.
I do love the rush you get after successfully finishing your squats properly, but if things go bad then you get those down feels - more so than any other fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom