• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Still trying to determine my work set weight for front squats. Hit a few sets of 3 reps at 135 lbs. Compared to back squats, about how does a front squat compare? 50%? 75%? Seems it should be lower than back squats.
I think around 70-80% is the norm, obviously everyone's different. Klokov's best squat is 325kg while his max front squat is 280kg, which is over 80%. Depends on your focus of training, what type of back squat you do etc...

iddqd

The thing with 531 is that progress is slow. With 531, you are adding 5lb to your upper body lifts and 10lb to your lower body lifts every month. whereas with SS you'll be adding 15lb to the squat per week. There's nothing that prevents a beginner from doing 531, but a beginner will always be better served by a linear progression like SS since a beginner can get stronger much faster since the stress required to drive adaptation is not high enough that he can't recover for his next session. That is in fact the very definition of a beginner, as opposed to an intermediate who can't recover from workout to workout.

The rule of thumb is that you should milk those linear gains for as long as possible. I suggest you go back to SS and do it until you have to reset every lift 3 times. You reset a lift after you stall (you are not able to do 3 sets of 5) for 3 sessions in a row.

After you have reset a lift 3 times, start doing 531 programing on that lift.

Thanks a lot, I'm going back to SS!

My wife has finally started to go to the gym for the past month and today told me this is her goal body

YZPhRT8.png

My new life goal is to help her reach her goal lol

Groof

FitGAF I feel like shit :(
I haven't been able to sleep properly for what feels forever (a week and a half-two weeks maybe?), and I've been really feeling the side effects at the gym. I haven't progressed a single bit in a week and I even failed my last squat rep earlier on the same weight I did last time. What can I do?

Visceir

Interesting article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996

TLDR; Stand up desks are awesome; burn about 40-50 extra calories per hour standing versus sitting. Tons of other health benefits, too.

I'm heading to Ikea now to put together a standup desk. This seems to be a pretty good guide - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-build-a-cheap-standing-desk-from-ikea-and-what-its-like-to-use/

I dunno, my sister works as a pharmacist and she has gotten some leg issues due to her work (always standing). My mom had similar issues that eventually landed her on an operating table.

"We wanted to see what would happen if we took a group of people who normally spend their day sitting in an office and ask them to spend a few hours a day on their feet instead." doesn't sound very scientific either. How about some long term studies and effects?

Just to play the devils advocate I'll throw in this link:
http://www.hazards.org/standing/ - describes the dangers of standing too much.

twofold

I dunno, my sister works as a pharmacist and she has gotten some leg issues due to her work (always standing). My mom had similar issues that eventually landed her on an operating table.

"We wanted to see what would happen if we took a group of people who normally spend their day sitting in an office and ask them to spend a few hours a day on their feet instead." doesn't sound very scientific either. How about some long term studies and effects?

Just to play the devils advocate I'll throw in this link:
http://www.hazards.org/standing/ - describes the dangers of standing too much.

I'm sure standing 24/7 isn't going to be healthy, but neither is sitting 24/7. I imagine the optimal amount lies somewhere in the middle - not too much sitting, and not too much standing.

I'm not planning on spending my entire day on my feet. Probably an hour standing for every hour of sitting, or thereabouts.

I've also ordered an anti fatigue mat. Supposedly they help a lot.

how much do you guys think missing half a big toe would affect squats?

i never squatted before i lost it so i really have no comparison. my deadlift has consistently gone up, but squats i've had trouble right when i hit my bodyweight. i just wonder if it has more to do with the fact that i stayed off my legs a lot for years after the accident, or if missing part of my base might be hurting my progress. been doing them for half a year so i definitely should have progressed further by now

MjFrancis

My wife has finally started to go to the gym for the past month and today told me this is her goal body

http://i.imgur.com/YZPhRT8.png[IMG]

My new life goal is to help her reach her goal lol[/QUOTE]Her wrist alignment is off and she's carrying the weight on her hands instead of her back. Someone find this woman and help her!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm sure standing 24/7 isn't going to be healthy, but neither is sitting 24/7. I imagine the optimal amount lies somewhere in the middle - not too much sitting, and not too much standing.

I'm not planning on spending my entire day on my feet. Probably an hour standing for every hour of sitting, or thereabouts.

I've also ordered an anti fatigue mat. Supposedly they help a lot.

I've had a standing desk for almost 18 months now. A few things.

1) You aren't standing 24/7. I mean I know that's not literally what you meant, but even if you "stand" for 8 hours from the time you get there to the time you leave, you are still walking, having meetings, etc.

2) It's not the standing..... it's the standing STILL!!!! (yes 4 '!'). Your feet, shins, knees, etc hurt because standing still they all have zero blood flow (well, at least horrible blood flow). A padded mat attacks the symptoms, not the problem. The answer? Move the fuck around... Here's a fun fact.. Standing still at a desk your knees get sore as shit after say two hours.... instead of sitting down, do like 5-10 ass to grass air squats... guess what? Your knees IMMEDIATELY AFTER feel fan-fucking-tastic. You just need blood flowing freely and happily through your shit.

3) sitting is in no way "out of the question". Instead when you sit, enjoy the fuck out of it. Seriously, you were just on your feet (standing, walking, jumping, squatting, whatever) for like 1-8 hours.. enjoy taking a load off during work for 5-10 minutes, and honestly enjoy it. I usually take "cigarette breaks" in my cube sitting down and reading on my phone or my ipad... if fucking smokers can stand outside and kill themselves for 10 minutes and it be alright... I can enjoy some quality sitting time while reading a comic or blog..

4) do it right... take measurements.. make sure your monitor is at a good eye level, keyboard is at the right height.. stand with good posture.. don't slouch and at the same time make sure you are not hyper extending your back (sticking your butt and shoulders way back). lay on a hard surface flat with good form.. take notice of your body/back.. this is how you should be standing also.

we are moving buildings after the new year, and I've already told them the new cubicle arrangements better support standing like our current ones do.. I am one out of a few hundred employees moving, so I know where I sit among the sea of things.. still, if the new cubes don't support it, I'm going to have piles of books, boxes and magazines hoisting my shit up because I am never sitting for work again. the human body just wasn't made to sit for the vast majority of 8-16 hours a day.

word i work from home and i can't believe i used to sit while i do it. i'm so used to it that honestly most of the time that i spend playing videogames and stuff like that i end up standing as well bc it's so natural. all sitting while working did was make my back feel like shit all the time.

Guys, Guys, Guys. I've actually been at it. It's gone well with the diet. I just need to cut out some extra stuff. Just got a stationary bike that I've been the past week and I've been sweating. Feels good man. I should probably step it up. 10 minutes in the morning and 10 at night. Instead of 10 for the day.

I'm also adding sit-ups and crunches and some of it's variations. I could do five push-ups. I should add some more reps to that. I think I've hit it. I feel more motivated than ever and I don't know why but ain't gonna question it! Guys have any other home workouts a really heavy man can do? Squats maybe?

Guys, Guys, Guys. I've actually been at it. It's gone well with the diet. I just need to cut out some extra stuff. Just got a stationary bike that I've been the past week and I've been sweating. Feels good man. I should probably step it up. 10 minutes in the morning and 10 at night. Instead of 10 for the day.

I'm also adding sit-ups and crunches and some of it's variations. I could do five push-ups. I should add some more reps to that. I think I've hit it. I feel more motivated than ever and I don't know why but ain't gonna question it! Guys have any other home workouts a really heavy man can do? Squats maybe?

Body weight squats are worthwhile for sure. If you have any dumbbells you can certainly hold onto those to add some more resistance. And, yes, add more reps to your push-ups if you're capable of doing more.

Body weight squats are worthwhile for sure. If you have any dumbbells you can certainly hold onto those to add some more resistance. And, yes, add more reps to your push-ups if you're capable of doing more.
Yeah I figured as much. I can probably add more push-ups. My arms are gonna thank me in the long run when my weight loss really begins to show haha! Time to add squats now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So at work today, coworker poked my arm just to see if I had muscle since I've mentioned I work out. Flexed to prove it and she was surprised lol.

Mark1

I think I'm having issues with Power Cleans, I believe I'm doing everything else with it correctly aside from my arm position. As soon as the bar reaches the top of my chest my elbows are not pointing towards the wall, but like 50-60 degrees from the ground. I have a video (not a great one) will post it in the morning. Btw why in the program do you have to do 5 sets x 3 reps of Cleans?

velociraptor

My calves are abysmally small. It's tragic really - they make my legs look tiny. Is there a routine that I can add to my current regime so I can target them? (doing 5x5)

Visceir

Yo where dis Tumblr be bros. I want to read up on her progress or some shit like that.

Her name is Jen Selter, I guess this is her tumblr: http://jenselter.tumblr.com/, instagram is with the same name.

bonus video

Went to the gym today but spent most of my time helping a friend get his form right on all the main exercises. It was slightly amusing to see him struggling so much with keeping his back straight.

I really disliked doing ab exercises before but the new gym has an ab crunch machine and I actually kinda enjoy doing that + I can just increase the weights easily.

Chocobro

Goddamn. She can do box squats on my face any day.
LOL this killed me because I was waiting for Noema to come in here critiquing her form and instead this
I was expecting the same thing ohhthegore haha. Noema still delivers.

It makes me sad to say this but I might have to go to the gym twice a week for the next few weeks. There's so much work I have to do and midterms and presentations are coming. Are there any downsides besides progress being slower and taking an extra week to complete one whole cycle in SS?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was expecting the same thing ohhthegore haha. Noema still delivers.

It makes me sad to say this but I might have to go to the gym twice a week for the next few weeks. There's so much work I have to do and midterms and presentations are coming. Are there any downsides besides progress being slower and taking an extra week to complete one whole cycle in SS?

I trained 2x a week for about 6 months and I've trained 3x a week for nearly a year now.

Sgonbok.

Just program it right.

Chocobro

I trained 2x a week for about 6 months and I've trained 3x a week for nearly a year now.

Sgonbok.

Just program it right.

I see. Would this work fine?
Week 1 Monday: Squat, OHP, chin-up; Wednesday: Squat, BP, DL
Week 2 Monday: Squat OHP, pull-up; Wednesday: Squat, BP, chin-up
Week 3 Monday: Squat, OHP, DL; Wednesday: Squat, BP, pull-up
And repeat.

Shadybiz

I think I'm having issues with Power Cleans, I believe I'm doing everything else with it correctly aside from my arm position. As soon as the bar reaches the top of my chest my elbows are not pointing towards the wall, but like 50-60 degrees from the ground. I have a video (not a great one) will post it in the morning. Btw why in the program do you have to do 5 sets x 3 reps of Cleans?

I won't be able to answer your mechanics issue, since I just started with them myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem. Definitely not 90 degrees there.

However, as for the reasoning behind only 3 reps, I'm pretty sure I read in the SS wiki that it's because power cleans are meant to build explosive power, and after 3 reps at working weight, you're probably starting to wear out, and thus not really exploding anymore.

Edit:
Visceir said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0QtAM3hew

I nearly tore the arm off of my desk chair. Thank you sir.

Szu

Well, I'm off to surgery tomorrow to fix my left hand. Hoping for a speedy and safe recovery. Then, I'll join you guys in the sun.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I see. Would this work fine?
Week 1 Monday: Squat, OHP, chin-up; Wednesday: Squat, BP, DL
Week 2 Monday: Squat OHP, pull-up; Wednesday: Squat, BP, chin-up
Week 3 Monday: Squat, OHP, DL; Wednesday: Squat, BP, pull-up
And repeat.

Depends on volume/intensity, but sure.

Well, I'm off to surgery tomorrow to fix my left hand. Hoping for a speedy and safe recovery. Then, I'll join you guys in the sun.

What was wrong with your hand again? And best of luck to you.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
SMH at the hot mom topic. Can't believe some people are offended at that.
I can understand it. "What's your excuse?" leans more towards antagonistic than motivational. It's kind of funny/sad though that that question is mostly answered with a cavalcade of excuses, many of dubious quality. Always get a bit annoyed seeing "yeah well I can't spend every waking minute working out" or "no-one can get a body like that without being obsessive and having access to experts 24/7". If there's one thing that shows you're making excuses to avoid something it's demonstrating a complete ignorance of that thing. Someone in that thread was incredulous that anyone could think that woman trained for less than ten hours a week.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can understand it. "What's your excuse?" leans more towards antagonistic than motivational. It's kind of funny/sad though that that question is mostly answered with a cavalcade of excuses, many of dubious quality. Always get a bit annoyed seeing "yeah well I can't spend every waking minute working out" or "no-one can get a body like that without being obsessive and having access to experts 24/7". If there's one thing that shows you're making excuses to avoid something it's demonstrating a complete ignorance of that thing. Someone in that thread was incredulous that anyone could think that woman trained for less than ten hours a week.

Working hard for anything is frowned upon in this day and age. Anyone who attains success through hard work is immediately disregarded as "obsessed" or "cheating" in some form or another; thus validating the person who does not "have that."

abuC

Think I might switch over to anabolic diet, seems like a logical step for me to making this type of diet more permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom