• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Alright GAF, I need to find some new foods for my bulk; I'm getting pretty sick of what I'm eating. 90% of diet consists of these foods: eggs/egg beaters, toast with cottage cheese, peanut butter (i'll never get tired of PB), almonds, brown rice, cous cous, chicken, beans and brocolli. I'm looking for new easy to cook dinners that are easy to calorie/macro log. I tend to load up on carbs come dinner time. Any ideas? I'll be going shopping later today.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright GAF, I need to find some new foods for my bulk; I'm getting pretty sick of what I'm eating. 90% of diet consists of these foods: eggs/egg beaters, toast with cottage cheese, peanut butter (i'll never get tired of PB), almonds, brown rice, cous cous, chicken, beans and brocolli. I'm looking for new easy to cook dinners that are easy to calorie/macro log. I tend to load up on carbs come dinner time. Any ideas? I'll be going shopping later today.

You could try:

Potatoes
Oatmeal
Cereal
Milkshakes
Ice Cream
Pizza

You have all sorts of options out there if you find yourself getting bored.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Back to fucking keto. Can't stand the water weight I had. Ugh.

*looks wistfully at his BULKING SEASON topic*

goddammit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIPWhJ5rC4

Someone linked this recently. I know you already mentioned chicken, but I'm just suggesting this as a basic example of simple combos that work well in a slow cooker.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ugh. It is such a challenge to eat enough food while doing SS. I should really switch back to whole milk from fat free. I've been worried about the cancer link to dairy fat. Someone please tell me I'm being stupid.

Yes, you are being stupid...

There are only two things to watch for... Ultra-pasteurization is super bad for cholesterol in milk (stay the fuck away!!!!!!!!)

IF you use skim milk, stay away from skim milk that has dry milk added to it. Both the dehydration and ultra-pasteurization methods are the worst thing to happen to milk. As long as it says pasteurized and the only "milk" ingredient is "milk", you are good.

of course if you can buy your milk raw, then you bypass all of this, so even better.

Chocobro

I'm still on Fall Break and I didn't feel like commuting to university, so I used a free trial card for a gym (Synergy Fitness Club) near my house. It was a decent experience (4/10). Foam rollers are pretty shit, no resistance bands like these, and they had only one squat rack, which I hated a lot. The safety bars are too damn high; power rack allows you to adjust the safety bars. I think my university spoiled us with three power racks with deadlift platforms in front of each one. I was just psychologically messed up; easily the worst squat session so far. I felt unsafe stepping out of the squat rack to squat because I was going to up the weight from 105 to 110 lb (which I didn't do) and there were people using the machines directly behind me.
However, I did successfully get 3x5x70 OHP and 7/7/5 BW (~135 lb?) chin-ups. There was a mirror in the locker room so I took an unimpressive selfie for the lols and I haven't shown myself here besides in form check videos; wonder how I'll look when I exhaust SS. Also nabbed myself a free medium ice coffee from Dunkin Donuts! :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My squatting has improved significantly actually in the past 2 weeks, but damn am I plateauing on my incline press. I'm stuck on 145 and I'm just barely getting to 15 each time. What's a good way to push past this?

Yes, you are being stupid...

There are only two things to watch for... Ultra-pasteurization is super bad for cholesterol in milk (stay the fuck away!!!!!!!!)

IF you use skim milk, stay away from skim milk that has dry milk added to it. Both the dehydration and ultra-pasteurization methods are the worst thing to happen to milk. As long as it says pasteurized and the only "milk" ingredient is "milk", you are good.

of course if you can buy your milk raw, then you bypass all of this, so even better.

Please explain what makes raw milk better than pasteurized or UHT milk.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Also what do you guys think of shamrock farms protein milks? 79cents at the store near me and taste amazing. Op says protein is protein... does that apply here?

Also what do you guys think of shamrock farms protein milks? 79cents at the store near me and taste amazing. Op says protein is protein... does that apply here?

Those are basically milk with added sugar and added protein concentrate. Kind of like a pre-made protein powder formula, but with extra sugar. Seems fine really, but I'd guess it's more cost efficient just to buy a tub of protein powder and add your own milk and whatever else.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Those are basically milk with added sugar and added protein concentrate. Kind of like a pre-made protein powder formula, but with extra sugar. Seems fine really, but I'd guess it's more cost efficient just to buy a tub of protein powder and add your own milk and whatever else.

Sounds about right for what I was expecting. Love these things, they're so tasty.

edit- sorry to flood with questions, but is it alright to add a 6th or even 7th rep when doing SS? I usually go for 6 or 7 to see how comfortable I feel and if it's time to move up.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Alright GAF, I just started working out at the beginning of this semester (August) and I've slowly built up to this routine:

Monday:
Mile run
Chest Press: 3x5 (190 pounds)
Leg press: 3x5 (340 pounds)
Back extension: 3x10 (245 pounds)
Chin ups: 3x8 (56.5 pound help)
Dips: 3x8 (41.5 pound help )

Tuesday:
3 mile run

Wednesday:
Row machine: 10 min (10 setting)
Mile run
Overhead Press: 3x5 (125 pounds)
Leg Press: 3x5 (330 pounds)
Abdominal: 3x15 (110 pounds)

Thursday:
3 mile run

Friday:
Mile run
Chest press: 3x5 (185 pounds)
Leg press: 3x5 (335 pounds)
Arm Curls: 3x8 (100 pounds)
Arm extension: 3x8 (100 pounds)
Back extension: 3x10 (240 pounds)
Abdominal: 3x15 (115 pounds)
Row: 3x5 (170 pounds)
Lateral Raise: 3x6 (90 pounds)
Calf: 3x15 (210 pounds)

Saturday (rest day)

Sunday:
3 mile run

I currently weigh 208 pounds. I based my routine off of what was recommended for beginners in the Fitness OT5, but I strayed from it a bit because I don't have a partner to spot me on bench press and wasn't exactly comfortable doing squats or power cleans at the time. There is only one power-clean station (along with two squat stations) at my college and they are usually occupied by the regulars at the gyms... so I improvised. I am pretty comfortable with my current routine, and I have consistently gone up five pounds (sometimes ten) every week. I originally started at 110 pounds on chest press and have went up 80 pounds in the two and a half months I have been working out (for example).

I am 100% open to any and all suggestions on what I should/shouldn't be doing though. I am pretty new to working out with weights and I'm sure my routine is far from great. My current goals are to lose fat and gain muscle.

Alright GAF, I just started working out at the beginning of this semester (August) and I've slowly built up to this routine:
oh boy. i'll let one of the more knowledgeable guys take this into more detail. the first mistake was deviating so vastly from the recommended routine. i mean, i could forgive replacing power cleans with something less technical, but you really didn't incorporate anything from the OP other than dips/pull ups.

you need to embrace the barbell! we see this so many times with novices in this thread, just a pure reluctance and hesitation to use a squat rack or a bench. there are plenty of success stories here, but you need to rethink your routine and at least add squats and deadlifts.

thomaser

Finishing my first week on 5/3/1 tomorrow! It's an interesting program. I lift much less in one workout and spend less time in the gym than on SS, but it's still really draining. Maybe it's so hard because I'm doing BBB as accessory work (plus a small number of additional exercises, which is probably not kosher but I'm doing them anyway).

After that, I'm off to New York for my first America-trip. Only there from Thursday to Sunday, but I'll try to fit in some fitness between gorging myself on pancakes and sandwiches. I hope to visit a "real" gym to work out with the hardcore bros. Maybe Steel Gym, which just sounds cool. And I want to bike around Central Park. And maybe find a GNC and buy those bars everyone's yapping about.

Skiesofwonder

oh boy. i'll let one of the more knowledgeable guys take this into more detail. the first mistake was deviating so vastly from the recommended routine. i mean, i could forgive replacing power cleans with something less technical, but you really didn't incorporate anything from the OP other than dips/pull ups.

you need to embrace the barbell! we see this so many times with novices in this thread, just a pure reluctance and hesitation to use a squat rack or a bench. there are plenty of success stories here, but you need to rethink your routine and at least add squats and deadlifts.

If I did bench-press with dumbbells instead of the barbell, would that be the same? I currently don't have a spotter. And should I just abandon the chest press machine and replace it with bench press? What about Squat... should I replace Leg Press with it? Finally, what are some good alternatives to power cleans (if any)?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds about right for what I was expecting. Love these things, they're so tasty.

edit- sorry to flood with questions, but is it alright to add a 6th or even 7th rep when doing SS? I usually go for 6 or 7 to see how comfortable I feel and if it's time to move up.

Nope. Stick with the routine as designed.

Also, any time you are able to finished the 3x5 you should be moving up in weight the following session. There's no guesswork involved or any reason to need to be able to hit more than 5 reps.

Chocobro

If I did bench-press with dumbbells instead of the barbell, would that be the same? I currently don't have a spotter. And should I just abandon the chest press machine and replace it with bench press? What about Squat... should I replace Leg Press with it? Finally, what are some good alternatives to power cleans (if any)?

You can do DB BP. It's not possible for you to ask for a spot? At my university, I usually ask for a spot when others are resting and they're always willing, I spot others when I'm asked. Yes, replace leg press with squats. You can save power cleans for later if you feel they are too technical. I'm currently doing the second routine in the OP because I didn't feel like doing power cleans yet.

sphinx

the piano man

words can't possibly express who much more important is a barbell squat than a leg press.

seriously, learn to squat,

abuC

Personally, Dumbbells > Barbell for chest.

Skiesofwonder

You can do DB BP. It's not possible for you to ask for a spot? At my university, I usually ask for a spot when others are resting and they're always willing, I spot others when I'm asked. Yes, replace leg press with squats. You can save power cleans for later if you feel they are too technical. I'm currently doing the second routine in the OP because I didn't feel like doing power cleans yet.

It is possible I would just rather not depend on having to ask for a spot everyday I work out. From the quick research I just did it sounds like dumbbells work the same muscles but are harder?

And lets say that I adopt this workout going froward (the one I'm assuming you are talking about):

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press/Press - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-ups - 3 sets to failure

Should I drop all the other side workouts I am doing and just strictly stick to this for now? BTW, I also read that you could do deadlifts with dumbbells over a barbell, is that true? I would rather do that if possible.

Thanks for the help btw.

I dunno if I'm knowledgable enough about this - compared to some other dudes around here - , but I'd say the 3 mile cardio inbetween workout days is not necessary. You'll be burning a hideous amount of fat and calories just by lifting hard.

Cardio should be taken into consideration further down the road when you'll want to start cutting. For now most of that bodily mass you're wearing will be used as energy for your heavy lifting.

Oh, and like Sphinx said: Squat. Do it. No excuses.

Skiesofwonder

I dunno if I'm knowledgable enough about this - compared to some other dudes around here - , but I'd say the 3 mile cardio inbetween workout days is not necessary. You'll be burning a hideous amount of fat and calories just by lifting hard.

Cardio should be taken into consideration further down the road when you'll want to start cutting. For now most of that bodily mass you're wearing will be used as energy for your heavy lifting.

Oh, and like Sphinx said: Squat. Do it. No excuses.

I've been running consistently six days a week since January so I would rather not drop it unless it is being really detrimental to muscle growth or working out in general. It's just something I do now to feel good about myself. Couldn't imagine stopping my run routine.

And I will be adding squats starting Wednesday. I'm planning on just adapting the workout I posted above.

Chocobro

It is possible I would just rather not depend on having to ask for a spot everyday I work out. From the quick research I just did it sounds like dumbbells work the same muscles but are harder?

Should I drop all the other side workouts I am doing and just strictly stick to this for now? BTW, I also read that you could do deadlifts with dumbbells over a barbell, is that true? I would rather do that if possible.

Thanks for the help btw.

I can't say anything else about the DB BP because I have very little experience with it.
I would say to strictly stick with that routine and drop all your side stuff.
This is my first time hearing about DLs with dumbbells over a barbell. It's hard to imagine how that'll work.

Shadybiz

Yeah, I'm not an expert, Skies, but you've gotta find a way to squat. Since I started adding them in, I just feel so much more powerful. I'm not even squatting that much, since I had to reset, but it still feels like I can jump over buildings and shit.

PR for reps on the bench today! 3 sets of 185; 4/3/3. I know it's not 5 each, but it still felt pretty good (I weigh 185).

Started trying power cleans; stayed light. It's a tough motion to get the hang of, but my last rep felt really solid. Problem is that I'm having a tough time thrusting my elbows out in that neat form. I guess I just need to practice more.

sphinx

the piano man
I am officially K.O. for 2 weeks at least, the doctor explained me that the virus gains force if I get weaker so she told me to avoid sport for now.

the only nice thing out of all this is that as I took my shirt off to show her the red marks, she quickly said, "oh, you'll have to stop hitting the gym for a while". which made me feel nice but I am in so much pain...is like someone is stabbing you in the gut and back every 10 minutes, I get dizzy and I pray to god to be able to sleep for 2 hours without waking up to the pain. I can't remember feeling this physically this miserable in my whole life.

herpes Zoster is some serious fucking shit.

I wanted to ask the doctor to give me a drug to stay asleep for 5 days until it's all over.

she says it's a 7 day treatment but that some pain can stay for a while, months after it.

Skiesofwonder

I can't say anything else about the DB BP because I have very little experience with it.
I would say to strictly stick with that routine and drop all your side stuff.
This is my first time hearing about DLs with dumbbells over a barbell. It's hard to imagine how that'll work.

Thanks. I'll check on Wednesday to see if I can find an extra barbell for deadlifts. I'm sure my university has one, I just haven't thought about it before. I'm probably going to do bench press with dumbbells (at least at first), I just feel more comfortable/safer that way.

The workout just seems so..... short though. That's like 20 mins max in the gym. I feel like I should be doing more but then again I know next to nothing about this lol.

Yeah, I'm not an expert, Skies, but you've gotta find a way to squat. Since I started adding them in, I just feel so much more powerful. I'm not even squatting that much, since I had to reset, but it still feels like I can jump over buildings and shit.

PR for reps on the bench today! 3 sets of 185; 4/3/3. I know it's not 5 each, but it still felt pretty good (I weigh 185).

Started trying power cleans; stayed light. It's a tough motion to get the hang of, but my last rep felt really solid. Problem is that I'm having a tough time thrusting my elbows out in that neat form. I guess I just need to practice more.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't done squats since high-school, looking froward to doing them again actually. Congrats on the PR!

Thanks. I'll check on Wednesday to see if I can find an extra barbell for deadlifts. I'm sure my university has one, I just haven't thought about it before. I'm probably going to do bench press with dumbbells (at least at first), I just feel more comfortable/safer that way.

The workout just seems so..... short though. That's like 20 mins max in the gym. I feel like I should be doing more but then again I know next to nothing about this lol.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't done squats since high-school, looking froward to doing them again actually. Congrats on the PR!

A long time spent at the gym does not equate to gains. But specifically, when you're squatting a shitton of weight, you're going to be resting in between sets for a few minutes, because it's really taxing on your central nervous system. Same goes for deadlifts (that's why you're only doing one set). The linear progression of the routine essentially pushes you to get our 5 rep maxes with each consecutive workout, so you're constantly improving.

Most of us are in-and-out of the gym in 45-60 minutes. It's all about being efficient and lifting the crap out of the barbells while you're there. edit: this goes for most of the novices and some of us intermediates (myself included). Some of the swole patrol here may be at the gym longer, but that's because they truly know what they're doing and have progressed immensely.

But yeah, for cardio, I would only focus a day or two (at the most) a week on it. And unless you're training for like a 5k or something, all you need really is 15-20 minutes of sprinting at max effort. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training) for more info.

The workout just seems so..... short though. That's like 20 mins max in the gym. I feel like I should be doing more but then again I know next to nothing about this lol

Don't underestimate the routine. Once you reach the heavier weights you'll be spending a lot longer time. Especially if you want to do it right.

iddqd

5/3/1 question here for the experts:

I've been doing 5/3/1, BBB for a two weeks but I'm thinking I might have done that too early.

I only do around 205 in the big three lifts.. did I go into the 5/3/1 door too early?

Wendler writes in some blogs that his system is fine for beginners too but I feel that without big number, the normal 5/3/1 on three days is not taxing enough.

I'm considering doing SS to see the number go past 300 maybe.. I honestly can't even imagine those number on the back squat.

Is there a weight number that indicates the 531 programs? Or is it more taste?

Skiesofwonder

Don't underestimate the routine. Once you reach the heavier weights you'll be spending a lot longer time. Especially if you want to do it right.

I guess I will see first-hand Wednesday on how tiring it is. I'm sure once you get up in the weight it really does put a major strain on your body.

A long time spent at the gym does not equate to gains. But specifically, when you're squatting a shitton of weight, you're going to be resting in between sets for a few minutes, because it's really taxing on your central nervous system. Same goes for deadlifts (that's why you're only doing one set). The linear progression of the routine essentially pushes you to get our 5 rep maxes with each consecutive workout, so you're constantly improving.

Most of us are in-and-out of the gym in 45-60 minutes. It's all about being efficient and lifting the crap out of the barbells while you're there. edit: this goes for most of the novices and some of us intermediates (myself included). Some of the swole patrol here may be at the gym longer, but that's because they truly know what they're doing and have progressed immensely.

That's great though. I'm sure it's a tough workout but I'm glad to hear I won't be needing to spend a hour and a half at the gym anymore.

But yeah, for cardio, I would only focus a day or two (at the most) a week on it. And unless you're training for like a 5k or something, all you need really is 15-20 minutes of sprinting at max effort. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training) for more info.

That's basically what I do when I run 3 miles though. My best time is around 20 mins and I try to better that. So basically i am going as fast as I can for those 20 minutes. I'll try and limit that two times a week but if my body seems ready to go for a run then I seriously doubt I will deny it that.

HIIT is stop and go though right? I'll look it up in a later tonight (gotta head out in a bit).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Two PRs thanks to my massive cheat day yesterday.

Flat bench DB: 150x7
Incline bench BB: 275x5

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am officially K.O. for 2 weeks at least, the doctor explained me that the virus gains force if I get weaker so she told me to avoid sport for now.

the only nice thing out of all this is that as I took my shirt off to show her the red marks, she quickly said, "oh, you'll have to stop hitting the gym for a while". which made me feel nice but I am in so much pain...is like someone is stabbing you in the gut and back every 10 minutes, I get dizzy and I pray to god to be able to sleep for 2 hours without waking up to the pain. I can't remember feeling this physically this miserable in my whole life.

herpes Zoster is some serious fucking shit.

I wanted to ask the doctor to give me a drug to stay asleep for 5 days until it's all over.

she says it's a 7 day treatment but that some pain can stay for a while, months after it.

Man, that has to be frustrating as HELL.

Chocobro

That's great though. I'm sure it's a tough workout but I'm glad to hear I won't be needing to spend a hour and a half at the gym anymore.

HIIT is stop and go though right? I'll look it up in a later tonight (gotta head out in a bit).

I must be weird for being in the gym for about 1.5H :lol

I did HIIT a three times a week for about a month four years back (before going into school mode until this past May). I did this one. ice1cube also made another one that I didn't try. These are just examples, I'm sure there are many choices out there. I want to do this sprint workout but my university is around a business district so no field to.

What's the difference between HIIT and circuit workouts?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I squat 3 days a week based on SS, moving up to 175 on Wednesday... How can I incorporate running or cardio into this?

TopDreg

Thanks for the replies peeps. Back to whole milk until I get spooked again.

In other news, my press and bench press feel a tad stalled, at 115 lbs and 165 lbs respectively. Those 1.25 lb plates can't come soon enough.

My squatting has improved significantly actually in the past 2 weeks, but damn am I plateauing on my incline press. I'm stuck on 145 and I'm just barely getting to 15 each time. What's a good way to push past this?

15 reps? Going for lower reps with more weight for a while might be possibility?

sphinx

the piano man
Man, that has to be frustrating as HELL.

but you know, everything happens for a reason.

right now is exactly one year hitting the gym and I was meaning to change what I've been doing so far and come up with a program that fits my goals more, I've been mentioning that for a while now so about time I got that done.

These weeks I will reflect upon what I've been doing and then start from scratch something else, I am actually looking forward to it.

the doctor said this will make me feel weak even after it's done, said this is very taxing and I believe her, I only sleep and eat now.

I am on a forced cut now, I have much less hunger so I am expecting the worst
regarding strength,

Is stronglifts a good workout routine vs starting strength?

I'm nearly done with the first 3 months of SL and I love it. From what I can tell, SL and SS are largely the same save for one lift (rows vs. snatches I think) but they are both based on linear progression.

What I love about SL is the app. Just plug in your starting weights and the app handles the rest; increases, failures and de loads plus having a little inbuilt alarm for resting. As a new weight trainer, I love the simplicity of it and that it removes nearly all thought from the training process.

You just lift this much this many times. Found it great in helping me establish a routine, first time in my life I haven't missed a training session for 3 months in a row.

Both seem to get results. Just eat, sleep and follow the program for at least 3 months.

Good luck!

Noema

what is y'alls preworkout recommendation? about to run out of c4. worked pretty well. used to use acg3 and really liked that.

i know its not necessary, i just really enjoy the energy boost.

Drink coffee and don't waste your money on that garbage.

Is stronglifts a good workout routine vs starting strength?

Starting Strength can be sustained for longer since it's 3 sets of 5. It's just a better thought out program. Nevertheless, both programs yield good results if done correctly. Done correctly means not fucking around, and adding weight to the bar every session on every lift.

So I squat 3 days a week based on SS, moving up to 175 on Wednesday... How can I incorporate running or cardio into this?

You don't.

If you are able to do sets of 6 or 7 then the weight is not heavy enough to drive the metabolic adaptations we want. There's a reason SS has you doing 3 sets of 5 and not 3 sets of 8 or 3 sets of 7. The weight on the bar is the only variable you should manipulate.

It also sounds like you are not adding weight to the bar every workout. That's not how SS works. If you are waiting until you "feel comfortable" with the weight you are doing the program wrong. You don't wait until you feel comfortable and then progress; you add weight to the bar to drive progress. That process is going to be unconfortable by its very nature.

5/3/1 question here for the experts:

I've been doing 5/3/1, BBB for a two weeks but I'm thinking I might have done that too early.

I only do around 205 in the big three lifts.. did I go into the 5/3/1 door too early?

Wendler writes in some blogs that his system is fine for beginners too but I feel that without big number, the normal 5/3/1 on three days is not taxing enough.

I'm considering doing SS to see the number go past 300 maybe.. I honestly can't even imagine those number on the back squat.

Is there a weight number that indicates the 531 programs? Or is it more taste?

The thing with 531 is that progress is slow. With 531, you are adding 5lb to your upper body lifts and 10lb to your lower body lifts every month. whereas with SS you'll be adding 15lb to the squat per week. There's nothing that prevents a beginner from doing 531, but a beginner will always be better served by a linear progression like SS since a beginner can get stronger much faster since the stress required to drive adaptation is not high enough that he can't recover for his next session. That is in fact the very definition of a beginner, as opposed to an intermediate who can't recover from workout to workout.

The rule of thumb is that you should milk those linear gains for as long as possible. I suggest you go back to SS and do it until you have to reset every lift 3 times. You reset a lift after you stall (you are not able to do 3 sets of 5) for 3 sessions in a row.

After you have reset a lift 3 times, start doing 531 programing on that lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom