• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of big lifts, my favorites from first to last are:

Deadlift
Squat
Bench
Overhead Press

There's something so raw and powerful about simply pulling a heavy-ass object off the ground that makes me feel like a badass caveman when I deadlift.

The squat is great for being the most taxing workout on my overall body, but at the same time it makes me anxious as hell whenever Friday (aka leg day) rolls around.

Yep Deadlifts is easily the most bad ass of the lifts. Being the lift where you can move the most weight helps contribute to how bad ass you feel when you do them

J. Bravo

Does everyone here do squats on friday?? I do it that way because that's how 5/3/1 is set up. Kinda sucks because I work 3-7pm then squat, and then if I go out for the night, I have trouble walking haha.

Imm0rt4l

Does everyone here do squats on friday?? I do it that way because that's how 5/3/1 is set up. Kinda sucks because I work 3-7pm then squat, and then if I go out for the night, I have trouble walking haha.

I've been on a push pull leg split, but I might amend it to have a shoulder and arms day. I just want to be able to squat twice a week, doesn't matter the days anymore. I used to do them on Fridays(when I was on a 5day split) for no particular reason and switched to mondays, because Monday is apparently National Bench press day.

took 5 days off from the gym came back and squats were easy as fuck. Looking forward to deadlifting tomorrow.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I took Cooter's advice and moved my leg days to Tuesdays. Kinda dig it. I like being able to talk on weekends.
Nice!

I actually squat on Wednesdays now only once a week. I deadlift Tuesdays and Fridays. Tuesday is 5x5 heavy and Friday is hi rep day. My squats on Wednesdays are a hybrid 10,8,6,4,2. Seems to be working well so far!

abuC

I'm not ready to declare being back just yet, but today was the first positive day I've had in 2 weeks. I adjusted my diet and have started taking in more fats during the week & upped my protein, plus I listened to the Man of Steel soundtrack.

Imm0rt4l

I hate looking soft. I'm spilling over like a motherfucker. Whats worse is I don't feel any stronger than I was 15 lbs ago ughh...

Noema

Monday is my favorite day for squats. I'm fresher and also I get them out of the way sooner.

I also do volume squats on Wednesdays (3 sets of 5 with about 80% of my Training Max) and it's amazing how much harder they feel since I'm already getting a bit burnt out by Wednesday.

Petrie

Banned
I like keeping everything rotating. 4 day workout plan but going 3 days a week so every workout will be a day later in the plan each week. Keeps things more varied and interesting.

Ugh, pain in my right shoulder when doing dips.

I hate that, because I love doing dips (I think I can start doing them weighted now), and this is the second time it has happened.

Noema

AzolW57.jpg

looks like the fall/winter weather might be impacting some people in this thread

WE GOT THIS BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

lift and eat lift and eat

0116.jpg

Szu

Ok, if you reading this, then that means Ive survived my surgery. Yah.

I don't feel much pain or discomfort, but my left arm is in a cast and sling, so I"m typing this with one hand.

Brolic - My ulnar nerve was compressed to the point that I had numbness in m left pinky and half the ring finger. I also started to develop atrophy in some of the other finger muscles. My grip strength was shot to hell. For comparison, my thumb and index finger didn't have the pinch strength to squeeze a toothpaste tube.

Thanks, guys.

andycapps

Hot mom thread got me back here too. Been working out consistently and getting good results, just not posting much here at all. I'll be crossing the century line this next round in 5/3/1 on OHP. Feels good, man. Also, can do 3 sets of 8 chin-ups. I could barely do 2-3 in a row when I first started.

Also, I have my wife doing my same routine, just lower weights. She's lost 26 pounds thus far in a couple months on it. Little fast on the weight loss for me, but I'm not going to discourage her.

C. Quark said:

I do them on Fridays as well. This week is easy though, it's recovery. Only thing that will be rough today are front squats.

On my recovery week on 5/3/1, I don't usually back off on my accessory lifts, does everyone else do that or do you cut weights down for those as well?

CrankyJay

Banned
Hot mom thread got me back here too. Been working out consistently and getting good results, just not posting much here at all. I'll be crossing the century line this next round in 5/3/1 on OHP. Feels good, man. Also, can do 3 sets of 8 chin-ups. I could barely do 2-3 in a row when I first started.

Also, I have my wife doing my same routine, just lower weights. She's lost 26 pounds thus far in a couple months on it. Little fast on the weight loss for me, but I'm not going to discourage her.

I do them on Fridays as well. This week is easy though, it's recovery. Only thing that will be rough today are front squats.

On my recovery week on 5/3/1, I don't usually back off on my accessory lifts, does everyone else do that or do you cut weights down for those as well?

Welcome back...and congrats to your wife. Her confidence must be through the roof right now.

Dany

Banned
Do you guys wait after you eat before hitting the gym? I wait like 60 minutes and its generally enough, depending how acidic my meal was.

andycapps

Welcome back...and congrats to your wife. Her confidence must be through the roof right now.

Yeah, she always thought my talking about working out and lifting weights was overblown, but it's even reassuring for me to see something working for someone else. She's very encouraged to keep going. And she loves squats, which I have no problem with!

I don't feel much pain or discomfort, but my left arm is in a cast and sling, so I"m typing this with one hand.

Brolic - My ulnar nerve was compressed to the point that I had numbness in m left pinky and half the ring finger. I also started to develop atrophy in some of the other finger muscles. My grip strength was shot to hell. For comparison, my thumb and index finger didn't have the pinch strength to squeeze a toothpaste tube.

Thanks, guys.

Glad you survived! Score one for the good guys. Best of luck with your recovery. I assume there's some sort of physical therapy regimen for something like this?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Thanks, guys.

Recover quick bud!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Huge gains today! Incline is up to 155 now, deadlifts at 255, bent over rows 195, squats 185. Any thoughts gaf? Do the numbers sound right? I feel like my squats are low compared to everything else.

CrankyJay

Banned
Huge gains today! Incline is up to 155 now, deadlifts at 255, bent over rows 195, squats 185. Any thoughts gaf? Do the numbers sound right? I feel like my squats are low compared to everything else.

My numbers were similar over the summer...are you taller/skinny?

abuC

Good work, and your squats will improve rapidly soon.

My numbers are all off and make no sense.

Deadlift: 330
Squat: 260
bench: 150

My chest quest is definitely showing results, but I have a long way to go.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I pulled my lower back something fierce during squats today.

Cut my workout short, and now I'm just hoping it's something that'll go away with a few days' rest. Dunno how or why it happened, to be honest. Perhaps my body's way of telling me to rest finally. :/

Standing up straight is fine, but rocking my hips side-to-side hurts as does leaning at my hips while sitting down.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I actually think the culprit might be yesterday's housework. Was cleaning my apartment, but was bent over unnaturally a lot of the time to get to hard to reach places and I remember feeling an ache in my lower back. I guess today just aggravated it.

SeanR1221

My numbers are all off and make no sense.

Deadlift: 330
Squat: 260
bench: 150

My chest quest is definitely showing results, but I have a long way to go.

I was around that at one point.

Actually my bench still sucks. Dunno what my 1rm is but my last 5/3/1 workout I did 185x9

Last year at this time I could only do 175x4. It's been a slow but steady process.

blackflag

Bench is so weird with the huge variance in numbers of people near the same physical size.

I can bench so much compared to my squat and dead.

Bench 350
Squat probably 375
Deadlift 450

Maybe it's because of my big shoulders? I don't know. I don't train it any more or less than legs or deadlift.

SeanR1221

Bench is so weird with the huge variance in numbers of people near the same physical size.

I can bench so much compared to my squat and dead.

Bench 350
Squat probably 375
Deadlift 450

Maybe it's because of my big shoulders? I don't know. I don't train it any more or less than legs or deadlift.

Yeah it just sucks when the first question you always get asked is how much do you bench.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So think I'm ready to start 5/3/1 next week. Gonna check the OP of course(on my phone atm) but anyone have advice for a routine?. Posted my current numbers going into the program earlier on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom