• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

K so guessing that means go ahead and order the book?. If so i'll place an order today. Would get the ebook but I don't like sitting and reading on my PC, damn my lack of a tablet or ereader!.

It won't take you long.

Like I've said before, I read it while getting my oil changed.

---

Fitbros, target mossimo henleys are in. Time to get your long sleeve swole on

PR on press today. I thought it was gonna go poorly when I misloaded the bar for my first set. I swear I triple check weights everytime I load the bar but probably once a month I put on a different amount of weight then I think I am.

Also, I think I need to buy some knee-high socks for Dead lifting. My shins were dangerously close to breaking skin today.

My issues with chest are that I find it the hardest muscle to activate. I have no problems getting any other muscle group going, but with the chest I feel like my triceps take over on my press a lot. I have really long arms so that kind of compounds that issue.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It won't take you long.

Like I've said before, I read it while getting my oil changed.

---

Fitbros, target mossimo henleys are in. Time to get your long sleeve swole on

Thanks, I'll place an order then. And dammit I did get the physical SS book but as usual the ebook is hilariously cheaper for 5/3/1. Guess I'll just read off my computer then especially with it being a quick read.

PR on press today. I thought it was gonna go poorly when I misloaded the bar for my first set. I swear I triple check weights everytime I load the bar but probably once a month I put on a different amount of weight then I think I am.

Also, I think I need to buy some knee-high socks for Dead lifting. My shins were dangerously close to breaking skin today.

I always feel I look like some crossfit bro with my tall socks but I have no idea how people deadlift without em

Noema

Bench is so weird with the huge variance in numbers of people near the same physical size.

I can bench so much compared to my squat and dead.

Bench 350
Squat probably 375
Deadlift 450

Maybe it's because of my big shoulders? I don't know. I don't train it any more or less than legs or deadlift.

Usually people with larger chests+short arms are the best benchers.

My bench is a freaking embarrassment. I can barely bench 225lbx2. It's been long and arduous. Couldn't bench the bar for 5 reps when I started training. It took me 1 year to bench 135lb. Took me two years to bench 185lb. I'd like to bench 315lb for at least a double one day but at this rate I'll be an old man by then.

My bench is a freaking embarrassment. I can barely bench 225lbx2. It's been long and arduous. Couldn't bench the bar for 5 reps when I started training. It took me 1 year to bench 135lb. Took me two years to bench 185lb. I'd like to bench 315lb for at least a double one day but at this rate I'll be an old man by then.

Ouch. I feel for you dude. I feel like I'm up against a wall, but I went from nothing to 150 in about 4 months. Still, 225 isn't really that low. It's a lot more work for you if you have longer arms.

abuC

I have really long arms, for me what helped was using dumbbells over barbell, especially heavy DB.

I started with 50lbers, and within 9 months I was getting up 120s for reps. Without a spotter you really can't push as hard as you'd like when you start out, at least thats how I felt. If you mess up without a spotter, you're going to end up in a terirble situation lol, with dumbbells you just toss those sons of bitches to the side.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have really long arms, for me what helped was using dumbbells over barbell, especially heavy DB.

I started with 50lbers, and within 9 months I was getting up 120s for reps. Without a spotter you really can't push as hard as you'd like when you start out, at least thats how I felt. If you mess up without a spotter, you're going to end up in a terirble situation lol, with dumbbells you just toss those sons of bitches to the side.
You're genetically blessed. You don't count. ;)

I'd recommend an even split of BB and DB work. I think they both help the other.

Had a pretty good session at the gym today.

Deadlift
2 x 170 kg (375 lb)
1 x 180 kg (397 lb) PR - should have tried 182 kg to break the 400lb barrier..

Clean & jerk
1 x 90 kg (198 lb)
1 x 100 kg (220,5 lb) FAIL - would have been a PR but screwed up the clean. I better work on my clean technique for a while before trying this again. Based on 198 lb I would have had no problems getting 220 overhed from the rack position.

CrossFit work out "Grace": Clean and Jerk 135 lbs, 30 reps for time.
4:45 PR by over a minute.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I pulled my lower back something fierce during squats today.

Cut my workout short, and now I'm just hoping it's something that'll go away with a few days' rest. Dunno how or why it happened, to be honest. Perhaps my body's way of telling me to rest finally. :/

Standing up straight is fine, but rocking my hips side-to-side hurts as does leaning at my hips while sitting down.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I actually think the culprit might be yesterday's housework. Was cleaning my apartment, but was bent over unnaturally a lot of the time to get to hard to reach places and I remember feeling an ache in my lower back. I guess today just aggravated it.

oh god, the feels this morning

This sucks. Can barely sit down. lmao

CrankyJay

Banned

Everyone is different. I have long arms but can bench 225 after a month of starting to work out again but I can't squat worth shit. The most I ever got up was 205 and my form was breaking.

Shadybiz

That sucks man. Just take 'er easy. I had the same thing a little over a month ago. For me, it was because I 1) failed to make my body tight before a set of squats, and 2) used poor form on that set of squats as well. Wasn't even that much weight..shit just popped.

Just stretch a lot, and probably do ice packs on and off every couple of hours.

Power cleans were feeling a lot better today...starting to get that satisfying sound of the bar quickly spinning near the top. Good stuff.

J. Bravo

I'm so glad it's the weekend. I pulled some random muscle just above my ankle on my shin last night at work, squatted, and it fucking HURTS. I tried to do hamstring curls, but could not flex and pull without my leg screaming at me.

not sure what it is or how I'm going to survive at work, considering that's where I fucked it up, just walking around.

hopefully its good by Tuesday aka deadlift day.

I'm so glad it's the weekend. I pulled some random muscle just above my ankle on my shin last night at work, squatted, and it fucking HURTS. I tried to do hamstring curls, but could not flex and pull without my leg screaming at me.

not sure what it is or how I'm going to survive at work, considering that's where I fucked it up, just walking around.

hopefully its good by Tuesday aka deadlift day.

Stop hurting yourselves you bastards!

My fiancee just deadlifted a set of 8x100 lbs which is awesome. Fun milestone for her. As for me, I'm wrapping up my second cycle of 5x3x1. I don't think I'll need to deload on any of my lifts for at least 6 total cycles, if not longer, which is nice. I love 5x3x1. I need to give a big "thank you" to SeanR for recommending it to me a few months ago. Completely revived my enjoyment of weightlifting and training by switching into this program from my semi-SS-but-generally-badly-programmed self-designed program.

SeanR1221

My fiancee just deadlifted a set of 8x100 lbs which is awesome. Fun milestone for her. As for me, I'm wrapping up my second cycle of 5x3x1. I don't think I'll need to deload on any of my lifts for at least 6 total cycles, if not longer, which is nice. I love 5x3x1. I need to give a big "thank you" to SeanR for recommending it to me a few months ago. Completely revived my enjoyment of weightlifting and training by switching into this program from my semi-SS-but-generally-badly-programmed self-designed program.

Happy to help, brother.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
looks like the fall/winter weather might be impacting some people in this thread

WE GOT THIS BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

lift and eat lift and eat

0116.jpg

LOL

Best fucking picture ever.

Gonna make a t-shirt with that.

Samara

I recently gained the weight I lost ( I was at 134) and now Im at 146ish. Started running for 20 minutes. Then did weights. I usually stick to free weights, but I was kinda scared to use the rest of the barbells/machines. Tried to punch a kickboxing bag....man that shit is rough.

I want t o be able to lift, but I have no idea what the hell to get there.

I want to fit my size 4 again

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I pulled my lower back something fierce during squats today.

Cut my workout short, and now I'm just hoping it's something that'll go away with a few days' rest. Dunno how or why it happened, to be honest. Perhaps my body's way of telling me to rest finally. :/

Standing up straight is fine, but rocking my hips side-to-side hurts as does leaning at my hips while sitting down.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I actually think the culprit might be yesterday's housework. Was cleaning my apartment, but was bent over unnaturally a lot of the time to get to hard to reach places and I remember feeling an ache in my lower back. I guess today just aggravated it.

I had something similar happen to me after only about a month and a half into starting weight training. Was a huge hit to my motivation, for sure. I pulled it doing deadlifts and had to take it easy for about a month, using lighter weights when doing squats and skipping deadlifts completely. Also switched to a standing desk at home because sitting hurt.

It's been about two months since then and I think I'm completely healed. I'm doing heavier weights with my squats without any problems than when I initially pulled the muscle. I'm also slowly reincorporating deadlifts back in. It really sucked, but it sure did teach me to be careful.

Stannis

I recently gained the weight I lost ( I was at 134) and now Im at 146ish. Started running for 20 minutes. Then did weights. I usually stick to free weights, but I was kinda scared to use the rest of the barbells/machines. Tried to punch a kickboxing bag....man that shit is rough.

I want t o be able to lift, but I have no idea what the hell to get there.

I want to fit my size 4 again

You should look at doing a beginners program such as Starting Strength. You would also be better running after you lift instead of before.

So I'm going to the gym 3 times per week, normally doing bench/deadlifts/squats and a few other things (sometimes some legs etc).

I know it's okay to go to the gym on "in-between days" if you don't work the same muscles, but how can I avoid using the same muscles? Seems like between the squat, bench, and DL I use a lot of things (both upper and lower body).

I'd like to go more though if it's reasonable. Any ideas?

Dany

Banned
I got this tendon soreness today when working my biceps that isn't like muscle sorebess.It's like the tendons between the humerus/radius,ulnar are working above capacity.

It's probably because I wasn't putting my weight on the correct part of my arms. Never had this happened before and it's odd and won't go away.

Imm0rt4l

So I'm going to the gym 3 times per week, normally doing bench/deadlifts/squats and a few other things (sometimes some legs etc).

I know it's okay to go to the gym on "in-between days" if you don't work the same muscles, but how can I avoid using the same muscles? Seems like between the squat, bench, and DL I use a lot of things (both upper and lower body).

I'd like to go more though if it's reasonable. Any ideas?

When I was on a 5 day split I think I did something like

chest/tri
back/bi
shoulder/traps
arms
legs

followed by 2 days off or 1 somewhere in there and another after legs.

More recently I've been doing push, pull, leg, off rinse and repeat.

One of the best days in the gym for me today. Doing deadlifts, 3x3 @ 440. Dood comes up to me and compliments me on weight and form and asks if I'm prepping for a powerlifting meet since I'm lifting heavy. Told him I'm just doing it as a hobby and he says that I should consider entering for fun. Said that i can get 500+ DL eazy. He says that meets are a blast and I would fit in just fine. We talk for a bit and he goes off and does his thing.

I finish up my set and another guy mentions form and how he was a former BB and that if I wanted too, I could transition nicely with the frame I have.

Just a total feel good moment and it got me hyped as fuck to lift and keep pushing on.

One of the best days in the gym for me today. Doing deadlifts, 3x3 @ 440. Dood comes up to me and compliments me on weight and form and asks if I'm prepping for a powerlifting meet since I'm lifting heavy. Told him I'm just doing it as a hobby and he says that I should consider entering for fun. Said that i can get 500+ DL eazy. He says that meets are a blast and I would fit in just fine. We talk for a bit and he goes off and does his thing.

I finish up my set and another guy mentions form and how he was a former BB and that if I wanted too, I could transition nicely with the frame I have.

Just a total feel good moment and it got me hyped as fuck to lift and keep pushing on.

Do it! just remember us little people when you make it big

Teggy

One of the best days in the gym for me today. Doing deadlifts, 3x3 @ 440. Dood comes up to me and compliments me on weight and form and asks if I'm prepping for a powerlifting meet since I'm lifting heavy. Told him I'm just doing it as a hobby

Oh stop it, we all know you're going to be a pro wrestler.

MrOogieBoogie

That sucks man. Just take 'er easy. I had the same thing a little over a month ago. For me, it was because I 1) failed to make my body tight before a set of squats, and 2) used poor form on that set of squats as well. Wasn't even that much weight..shit just popped.

Just stretch a lot, and probably do ice packs on and off every couple of hours.

I had something similar happen to me after only about a month and a half into starting weight training. Was a huge hit to my motivation, for sure. I pulled it doing deadlifts and had to take it easy for about a month, using lighter weights when doing squats and skipping deadlifts completely. Also switched to a standing desk at home because sitting hurt.

It's been about two months since then and I think I'm completely healed. I'm doing heavier weights with my squats without any problems than when I initially pulled the muscle. I'm also slowly reincorporating deadlifts back in. It really sucked, but it sure did teach me to be careful.

I honestly have no clue as to how or why it happened. I actually went in that day feeling exceptionally great and excited to tackle squats. I was in no rush, and I stretched thoroughly, foam rolled to loosen up my joints, warmed up lightly, and then did two warm-up sets, once with just the bar and the second time with plates. Felt great. I even remembering going out of my way to remind myself to take in a deep breath and tighten my core as much as possible. Everything was pretty much perfect.

Then I did one rep of my work set (same weight as the workout before) and felt this immediate pull of my lower back muscle. It was so weird. I've been doing my squats nearly the same way for like a year with almost no injuries to speak of.

It's been a couple days and I already feel much better. Walking around causes me no problem; it's only sitting as certain angles that aggravates the area a bit.

The human body... how does it work? :p

I really hope I'm fully recovered for deadlifts Monday!

abuC

lol, up 10lbs since Thursday, I ate around 9000 calories on Friday and drank 2 full gallons of water.

I looked jacked saturday morning.

Petrie

Banned
I know it's blasphemy to GAF but I am loving my 5/3/1 BBB month long cycle where Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are for 5/3/1 BBB and Sunday is fun day with the glamour muscles: biceps, triceps, obliques, etc. Strength gains are a bit slower, but I enjoy it far more.

Keep in mind newbies: I followed the designed routines for over 2 years before making my own changes, as now I know enough to do so and be aware of the benefits and downsides.

Cooter

I know it's blasphemy to GAF but I am loving my 5/3/1 BBB month long cycle where Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are for 5/3/1 BBB and Sunday is fun day with the glamour muscles: biceps, triceps, obliques, etc. Strength gains are a bit slower, but I enjoy it far more.

Keep in mind newbies: I followed the designed routines for over 2 years before making my own changes, as now I know enough to do so and be aware of the benefits and downsides.

It's not blasphemy to this GAF member. You're loving it and looking forward to going to the gym. That's always a good thing in my book! :)

Petrie

Banned
It's not blasphemy to this GAF member. You're loving it and looking forward to going to the gym. That's always a good thing in my book! :)

I thought about how you seem to treat the gym when I was making the change. I figure so long as my strength still increases, nothing wrong with it.

Cooter

I thought about how you seem to treat the gym when I was making the change. I figure so long as my strength still increases, nothing wrong with it.
Wow. That sure makes me feel good. I think a positive outlook and actually anticipating the upcoming days workout is THE most underrated aspect of success in the gym. Also, there's nothing wrong with lifting for both physique and strength.

Grabbed a 35 for weighted chins instead of a 25 and still got all my reps.

Now that I have experienced 100x earth's gravity, I must TRAIN in 100x earth's gravity

Also I ate a chocolate chip cookie dough quest bar and finally understand the hype.

SeanR1221

I see nothing wrong with it, especially since you're doing bbb. There's not much else you can do on those days like I discovered the hard way.

MrOogieBoogie

I'm ready to jump into Madcow's Intermediate 5x5 program.

Are there any easy apps or templates to use to track progress on my phone? (Hopefully tailored to the program.)

Noema

Not blasphemy. You are not a novice, you still train for strength with an emphasis on the lifts and you still program.

Petrie

Banned
Not blasphemy. You are not a novice, you still train for strength with an emphasis on the lifts and you still program.

Yeah, I just remember when I discussed it here the general input was: keep to a 4-day a week 5/3/1 BBB and do your accessory stuff after.

This just works far better for me. I look forward to those Sunday glamour muscle workouts. I look forward to my strength sessions. win/win

sphinx

the piano man
today I finished my antiviral program so I have decided tomorrow I'll go back to the gym, I can wait longer but there's no precise day I should go back to it so I have decided to resume workout tomorrow.

Since it's been like 3 weeks with no workout at all, I'll start with Squat/legs as lower body was never in pain and Squat is my best MC so I'll try that and see how it goes, I still don't feel completely healed, there's is some pain left in my chest and I feel a bit dizzy but I have to move on, that's all there is to it. The doctor said some residual pain may stay there for months, I am not waiting months to go back to working out, no way in fucking hell, so I may as well give it a try tomorrow.

I may have to settle for lower weights if I feel my body doesn't cooperate but I am o.k with that, I just want to go there and try.

Dude at the gym next to me today was my height at 5'7, my weight at 175, and appeared to be in his early 20's; yet he was deadlifting 500 while I was doing 225. I felt so weak next to that beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom