• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I don't know much about fitness but I just wanted to come in here to say that I'm almost 21 years old and started working out for reals almost a month ago and for the first time in my life I can see and feel actual working muscles in my arms and legs and all over and it's really nice. I took a day off of my workouts to measure my progress and did 70 pushups and 70 situps in sets of 10 over the course of an hour. Prior to this I maxed out at 20.

That is all.

I don't know much about fitness but I just wanted to come in here to say that I'm almost 21 years old and started working out for reals almost a month ago and for the first time in my life I can see and feel actual working muscles in my arms and legs and all over and it's really nice. I took a day off of my workouts to measure my progress and did 70 pushups and 70 situps in sets of 10 over the course of an hour. Prior to this I maxed out at 20.

That is all.

Yeah progress feels good, it can be addictive.

That is all.

Keep it up. I loved the feeling when I started to weight train. I guess that's why I stuck with it.

Visceir

flat Benched 171 lbs again today, rather glad to be able to start doing 176 next time since I won't have to mess around with the small plates. Started doing low weight high rep dumbbell incline bench right after finishing my flat bench sets -- I feel like this is helping me a lot with my gains, both strenght and size wise.

People!

It's time to bulk!

What are some good macros strategies to bulk? I am 179lb 14% and I want to get to 195lb of pure mooscowl before spring comes around. What's the deal now?

GOMAD is really not for me anymore, I would like to do a "clean" bulk this time. 2DEAD sounds like fun...

How many sets do you do (e.g. of bench press) when working up to your max?

For example, say I do 115 lb in the bench, and starting strength recommends 3x5.

Does that mean (just random example numbers):

5@95, 5@105, 5@115
or
5@95, 5@105, 5@115, 5@115, 5@115,

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

People!

It's time to bulk!

What are some good macros strategies to bulk? I am 179lb 14% and I want to get to 195lb of pure mooscowl before spring comes around. What's the deal now?

GOMAD is really not for me anymore, I would like to do a "clean" bulk this time. 2DEAD sounds like fun...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Boom!

At 180lbs@14%, it's recommended you consume about 3.1k calories daily. Probably can't go wrong with a 40/30/30% split of protein/fat/carbs (increase carbs in lieu of fat on work-out days if you feel a lack of energy perhaps).

How many sets do you do (e.g. of bench press) when working up to your max?

For example, say I do 115 lb in the bench, and starting strength recommends 3x5.

Does that mean (just random example numbers):

5@95, 5@105, 5@115
or
5@95, 5@105, 5@115, 5@115, 5@115,

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

The second one. Three working sets preceded by a few warmup sets.

abuC

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zO2samdiI

After 3 weeks of shitty results, Hit 365x5 with no spot on bench and pulled 545 on DL, we back!

A little bad news though, my shoulder issue has come back just a tiny bit. I think the volume from ultimate diet 2.0 with all the laterals was too much for it and it said no mas. I haven't lifted more than 75lbers in 2 weeks, and I think I'm going to just stay there and maintain since my shoulders are a decent size.

I know it's blasphemy to GAF but I am loving my 5/3/1 BBB month long cycle where Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday are for 5/3/1 BBB and Sunday is fun day with the glamour muscles: biceps, triceps, obliques, etc. Strength gains are a bit slower, but I enjoy it far more.

Keep in mind newbies: I followed the designed routines for over 2 years before making my own changes, as now I know enough to do so and be aware of the benefits and downsides.

Are you doubling up on one of those days? or just cycling like

Bench/dead/press/curlz
Squat/bench/dead/curlz

Etc

Oh god. I've had my first huge setback. Come back home and one of the peddles on my stationary bike is gone. Fuck it was doing me so much good. I don't know man I workout but it's no where near the sweat or good feeling I've had with the bike. It's really frustrating. My days were revolving around getting a great sweat from using the bike.

steveovig

I'm planning on doing a cut in the next two weeks but I'm nervous that I'm going to burn too much. I'm aiming for a pound per week loss, can I go for more though? I was worried that if I shot for 2, I would end up cutting into my gains from my bulk.

SeanR1221

Past two weeks I've been trying to do 20 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph on an 8.0 incline after my workouts.

I really like it, works up a good sweat and I I'm less sore afterwards.

Meatfist

Whenever I do pull-ups or rows, I get this weird uncomfortable sensation in my right inner elbow, like I'm pinching a nerve. It's only when I lift it seems like, it's fine on the row machine but I've been avoiding barbell rows at this point due to how uncomfortable it is

Ulnar nerve, perhaps? Is my arm going to fall off :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
So fitgaf, starting 5/3/1 tomorrow. Reading through the eBook right now but have some questions, particularly on assistance exercises and how to program this. Only on pg 58 of the book but so far looks like there's a ton of different things I could do.

I plugged in my numbers as far as my 3x5 max lifts are concerned on http://www.strstd.com/ so I have the weights and such I should be doing mapped out. Also they are as follows with me at 141 lbs and being about 5'5.

Bench: 5x150 lbs
Squat: 5x:230 lbs
Deadlift: 5x245 lbs
OHP: 5x95 lbs.

So based on what I've read so far I'll be working out 4 days a week now and so far guess I'll do "Big but Boring" or "The Triumvirate". Though I just read the section in the eBook about just doing 1 big assistance lift in addition to the each of the big 4 lifts. Anyway just want to know if I'm approaching this right as in just follow the strstd template laid out to me for at least the big 4 lifts then tweaking with assistance exercises. Also as far as the 4 lifts go I'm guessing just do the exact weights and reps for each week then of course add in assistance afterwards.

So fitgaf, starting 5/3/1 tomorrow. Reading through the eBook right now but have some questions, particularly on assistance exercises and how to program this. Only on pg 58 of the book but so far looks like there's a ton of different things I could do.

I plugged in my numbers as far as my 3x5 max lifts are concerned on http://www.strstd.com/ so I have the weights and such I should be doing mapped out. Also they are as follows with me at 141 lbs.

So based on what I've read so far I'll be working out 4 days a week now and so far guess I'll do "Big but Boring" or "The Triumvirate". Though I just read the section in the eBook about just doing 1 big assistance lift in addition to the each of the big 4 lifts. Anyway just want to know if I'm approaching this right as in just follow the strstd template laid out to me for at least the big 4 lifts then tweaking with assistance exercises. Also as far as the 4 lifts go I'm guessing just do the exact weights and reps for each week then of course add in assistance afterwards.

i bet you can deadlift quite a bit more than that, if your squat is really that high.

Nelo Ice

Banned
i bet you can deadlift quite a bit more than that, if your squat is really that high.

Yeah my squat and deadlift numbers are out of whack. I tried 255 lb deadlift last week and could only get to 3 and that 3rd rep I had to really push to get. I guess they're like that since I stopped moving up when I was doing SS at 205 lbs since I couldn't do anything past that for 5 reps without mixed grip. When I did Greyskull it was basically mixed grip or not being able to do any reps so that's when I started moving up again. As for my squat I struggle to rerack and I start losing grip by the end each set with 2 plates and change lol. Also forgot to mention I'm about 5'5, edited my post to reflect that. That probably factors into my numbers too.

Imm0rt4l

Whenever I do pull-ups or rows, I get this weird uncomfortable sensation in my right inner elbow, like I'm pinching a nerve. It's only when I lift it seems like, it's fine on the row machine but I've been avoiding barbell rows at this point due to how uncomfortable it is

Ulnar nerve, perhaps? Is my arm going to fall off :(

tendonitis.

ILoveBish

Back to 4 days a week at the gym, feels so good. Just doing 5/3/1 with 4 day split and 3 accessories per day geared towards the compound i start with, and then 5-7 min of HIIT on the elliptical to make sure i get back into keto asap (still doing TKD, going with 15g of dextrose 30 min before the gym and i have enough energy to do all my lifts).

p.s. - down to 1 box of quest bars, can't wait to run out so i stop eating them so often, it must be laced with cocaine, its too addictive.

Stannis

Anyone else do much walking?

I've started walking 4 miles every morning and it's so damn therapeutic, I normally go through one of London's nicer parks and along a canal and it's such a great way to gather your thoughts and start the day.

I think I'll definitely make them a permanent part of my routine.

Petrie

Banned

I've started walking 4 miles every morning and it's so damn therapeutic, I normally go through one of London's nicer parks and along a canal and it's such a great way to gather your thoughts and start the day.

I walk at least 2 miles every single day after work in an effort to undo all the damage to my body from sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. I know it isn't HIIT or anything, but I enjoy it with a podcast every day.

SeanR1221

Past two weeks I've been trying to do 20 minutes of walking at 3.5 mph on an 8.0 incline after my workouts.

I really like it, works up a good sweat and I I'm less sore afterwards.

;)

My neighborhood is tiny, enclosed by major roads, I wish I had a huge open one :(

I tried taking my dog to the neighborhood down the road but she only lasted for about 15 minutes of walking.

Stannis

I walk at least 2 miles every single day after work in an effort to undo all the damage to my body from sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. I know it isn't HIIT or anything, but I enjoy it with a podcast every day.

Yeah I listen to my audio books and it makes the time fly. HIIT has it's place but it's not something I can manage much while doing 5/3/1 BBB 4 days per week.

despire

ffs, Fitocracy updated their tracking system and it's buggy as hell. Harder to use than the old one and even though my preference has been set to metric system, I see everything in pounds on every page.. Couldn't even log a workout in kg's..

Also I got PR's on every lift since my performance page (ie. my lifting history) is empty. WTF. Hopefully they fix this soon..

Petrie

Banned
ffs, Fitocracy updated their tracking system and it's buggy as hell. Harder to use than the old one and even though my preference has been set to metric system, I see everything in pounds on every page.. Couldn't even log a workout in kg's..

Also I got PR's on every lift since my performance page (ie. my lifting history) is empty. WTF. Hopefully they fix this soon..

They're currently having issues they've been open about on their Facebook page at least. I'd expect it to be fixed soon enough.

despire

They're currently having issues they've been open about on their Facebook page at least. I'd expect it to be fixed soon enough.

Yeah I've been talking to one of the head honchos there who happened to see my post whining about it on the website. Good that they're taking quick action :)

I plugged in my numbers as far as my 3x5 max lifts are concerned on http://www.strstd.com/ so I have the weights and such I should be doing mapped out. Also they are as follows with me at 141 lbs and being about 5'5.

So, your 1-rep maximum for bench press based on the number above is around 260 lbs. Then, you take 90% of your 1RM (so, if your 1RM is 260, 90% of that is 234) and then use that number as your "training max." Your training max, being 234, is then multiplied by 65%, 75%, and 85% for your first week on 5/3/1. As you probably noticed, the percentages and number of reps change for weeks 2, 3, and 4.

So, your first week on your bench press day if you are doing The Triumvirate (using the stock assistance lifts) would look like this:
Bench Press
Warmup sets
5x152 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.65)]
5x176 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.75)]
1x199 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.85)] (on this last set, you get as many reps as you can with 1 being the minimum)

DB Bench Press
5 sets of 15 (at the heaviest weight you could handle at this volume)

DB Row
5 sets of 10 (at the heaviest weight you could handle at this volume)

I think you've got the right idea, but I figured I'd repeat stuff just to double-check. You're basically correct in that you can adjust the assistance lifts to your pleasure as there are a ton of good suggested assistance lifts in the book. I added lunges and leg press to my squat day (which, by the way, is entirely painful, but so worth it) and front squats to my deadlift day.

Quick question about PR on the 3rd sets of 5/3/1. Just started today and I'm a little unsure about how many reps your supposed to go to. Do you go to fail, or just make sure you get over 5 (for this week)? I took the 3rd set to 10 reps this morning on the deadlift, but could have carried on. I just don't want to burn myself out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
today's workout was 3 rounds and interestingly had squats in it (15 reps each round).. interesting because as with most metcons with squats, you have to take it from the floor. I was planning on doing 135# but saw other guys around my level loading up 155# (my max is 230#). So why not...?

Clean and push overhead to my back went fine (actually first time I powered 155# since I fixed my clean). And not necessarily surprising, but was happy it felt easier than I was fearing, I did the first two rounds unbroken... third round I had to do 8/7. Maybe not "had to" do 8, but definitely wasn't getting all 15 on the third round.

something about squatting from the floor instead of the rack.. I don't know... just primal. no racks. Obviously seriously limited in how much weight you can do (to what you can clean and pseudo-press)

Teggy

Everyone should just get some dogs. If I don't walk my 14 mos. old he will bug me all day (work from home). The 13 year old doesn't really need it at all, but she loves it, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

PKrockin

Everyone should just get some dogs. If I don't walk my 14 mos. old he will bug me all day (work from home). The 13 year old doesn't really need it at all, but she loves it, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

I wish I could. Their energy is kind of inspiring, and they really do love it so much it makes me feel like I'm doing something good not only for myself but for my dog.

I shamelessly stole this from a buzzfeed list, but:

wZp0Az2.jpg

Noema

Heh, I couldn't log my workout in lbs. It wanted to use kilos no matter what I did.

Also the newest iPhone version (2.0) is so broken it doesn't even launch. I'm not complaining since it's a free service; I just hope they fix it soon. I wanted to log my session today after hitting the showers and my OCD was on fire since I couldn't as the iOS app is FUBAR. It almost felt like I hadn't really finished my workout until I logged it :p

Are those numbers for the 85% set for the first week of the cycle? Rember that those are based on your Training Max which in turn is 90% of your actual Max. It's usually better to go a bit lower than higher when you first start the program. Also remember that the 5+ sets are As many reps as possible (AMRAP) sets, which is not the same as a set to failure. You should have at least 1 rep in the tank left.

As for accessories, it depends on your goals and individual sticking points. 531 is an intermediate program and as such it's tailored much more to what the trainee needs as opposed to the one-size-fits all approach of SS.

If you want to focus on strength, I'd do 531+ the triumvirate.

If you are looking for size, do 531+BBB for a few months.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So, your 1-rep maximum for bench press based on the number above is around 260 lbs. Then, you take 90% of your 1RM (so, if your 1RM is 260, 90% of that is 234) and then use that number as your "training max." Your training max, being 234, is then multiplied by 65%, 75%, and 85% for your first week on 5/3/1. As you probably noticed, the percentages and number of reps change for weeks 2, 3, and 4.

So, your first week on your bench press day if you are doing The Triumvirate (using the stock assistance lifts) would look like this:
Bench Press
Warmup sets
5x152 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.65)]
5x176 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.75)]
1x199 [(260 x 0.9) x (0.85)] (on this last set, you get as many reps as you can with 1 being the minimum)

DB Bench Press
5 sets of 15 (at the heaviest weight you could handle at this volume)

DB Row
5 sets of 10 (at the heaviest weight you could handle at this volume)

I think you've got the right idea, but I figured I'd repeat stuff just to double-check. You're basically correct in that you can adjust the assistance lifts to your pleasure as there are a ton of good suggested assistance lifts in the book. I added lunges and leg press to my squat day (which, by the way, is entirely painful, but so worth it) and front squats to my deadlift day.

Thanks for the input, glad to see I'm on the right track at least.

Are those numbers for the 85% set for the first week of the cycle? Rember that those are based on your Training Max which in turn is 90% of your actual Max. It's usually better to go a bit lower than higher when you first start the program. Also remember that the 5+ sets are As many reps as possible (AMRAP) sets, which is not the same as a set to failure. You should have at least 1 rep in the tank left.

As for accessories, it depends on your goals and individual sticking points. 531 is an intermediate program and as such it's tailored much more to what the trainee needs as opposed to the one-size-fits all approach of SS.

If you want to focus on strength, I'd do 531+ the triumvirate.

If you are looking for size, do 531+BBB for a few months.

Well according to the site, I have this checked "Use 90% of my one rep max for the program (Recommended by Wendler for the starting 4 weeks)". The numbers are my current max as far as doing them for a full 3 sets of 5. After I plug them in I believe I get the 85% for the first week of the cycle you mentioned. Also thanks for the input, from the sounds of it well I would not mind more size particularly on my arms, so will probably do 531+BBB.

Also looks like the training wheels are finally starting to come off since now I have I get to start picking what I want. Damn that 5 months on SS/Greyskull just flew by. Thanks again to fitgaf for all the info and help. I really do appreciate it and I've learned so much it's insane. Still feels crazy that I'm already on an intermediate program. Kinda nervous about customizing my 5/3/1 routine myself now but I'm sure I'll learn and eventually in a few years I'll know what to do and will be able to help others like you guys have helped me.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A quick tip...don't buy Halloween candy that consists of all your favorites. A buddy came over and brought some green stuff. I literally ate about 4,000-5,000 calories of candy. Haha! Made for a strong day at the gym however!

So what do you think of this Texas Method program? I am coming back with an intermediate program:

Monday
Back Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Dynamic Effort Deadlift 8x1

Wednesday
Front Squat 3x3
Overhead Press 3x3
Back Extensions
Chinups

Friday
Back Squat 5RM
Bench Press 5RM
Armz
Deadlift 5RM

Monday
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Power Cleans 8x3

Wednesday
Front Squat 3x3
Bench Press3x3
Back Extensions
Pull Ups

Friday
Back Squat 5RM
Overhead Press 5RM
Armz
Power Clean 5 heavy singles

I am starting today :D

abuC

A quick tip...don't buy Halloween candy that consists of all your favorites. A buddy came over and brought some green stuff. I literally ate about 4,000-5,000 calories of candy. Haha! Made for a strong day at the gym however!

There's a family Halloween party on Saturday, and I don't know if I'm going to go because my friends wife is more than likely going to bake cupcakes from scratch and they are delicious. I could eat like 20 of them with no problem outside of the sugar killing me then and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom