• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
for the first time ever since I started working out I managed to get a capture of me flexing that I don't consider complete trash (and I've tried, my smarthphone can give testimony of the hundreds of pics I have taken and deleted). I admit my arms are my weakest part but I suppose they'll grow over time as I progress, so it's o.k for now.

brazooctubre2013_zps48bc61cb.jpg

so will anyone in fitgaf show some real guns? lol

SeanR1221

This. I was crazy for a while, but realized I'm not competing and would rather enjoy life and have less of a 6-pack.

I agree and am having quite the birthday weekend. Just dead lifted and ate Taco Bell (crunch wrap, burrito supreme, cheese potato burrito and a hard taco). Mmmmm

Petrie

Banned
I agree and am having quite the birthday weekend. Just dead lifted and ate Taco Bell (crunch wrap, burrito supreme, cheese potato burrito and a hard taco). Mmmmm

Eventually we'll get so big the 6-pack will show through anyways.

Live life mates!

Happy Birthday my friend!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Went to the gym to lift in quite a few weeks, and I have a cold... felt like I couldn't accomplish anything, felt dehydrated as fuck. :(

happy birfday dude

for the first time ever since I started working out I managed to get a capture of me flexing that I don't consider complete trash (and I've tried, my smarthphone can give testimony of the hundreds of pics I have taken and deleted). I admit my arms are my weakest part but I suppose they'll grow over time as I progress, so it's o.k for now.

brazooctubre2013_zps48bc61cb.jpg

so will anyone in fitgaf show some real guns? lol

not real guns but I'll show them anyways

Z8R2GpN.jpg

Chris R

Is planet fitness really that bad? $20 a month is appealing, considering I just moved into an apartment that will prevent me from doing any serious exercise in it. It's either PF or I learn to swim and hit up the local high school's pool :( The gyms around town want $75+ a month...

fawaz

Banned
I want to preface this by saying that I am a noob when it comes to fitness.
So say if I were to take in a sufficient amount of protien every day to have muscle gains after lifting weights. But, I take in less calories a day than I expend.

Is this a valid way to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

I want to preface this by saying that I am a noob when it comes to fitness.
So say if I were to take in a sufficient amount of protien every day to have muscle after lifting weights. But, I take in less calories a day than I expend.

Is this a valid way to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

You'll get noob gainz for a while, but it's not the most efficient. I'd recommend eating at maintenance w/plenty of proteins, then you'll feel like
jbi3eE4zMhXJe4_e.jpg
after you work out.

If I can do all my 3x5 does that mean I should increase the weight? Even if that 3x5 is difficult? I don't have a spotter if it matters. Thanks.

Is planet fitness really that bad? $20 a month is appealing, considering I just moved into an apartment that will prevent me from doing any serious exercise in it. It's either PF or I learn to swim and hit up the local high school's pool :( The gyms around town want $75+ a month...
City rec center or ymca are usually as cheap as planet fitness. Does your town not have either?

Noema

A friend of mine went to NYC this week and I asked him to bring me a couple of boxes of Quest Bars.

Finally I shall taste the legendary fuel that keeps this thread going.

Noema

If I can do all my 3x5 does that mean I should increase the weight? Even if that 3x5 is difficult? I don't have a spotter if it matters. Thanks.

Yes. If you get your 3 sets of 5 you increase the weight.

If you don't get your 3 sets of 5 then you repeat the weight the next session. If you fail 3 sessions in a row you deload 10%.

Yes. If you get your 3 sets of 5 you increase the weight.

If you don't get your 3 sets of 5 then you repeat the weight the next session. If you fail 3 sessions in a row you deload 10%.

Excellent, time to bump it up again.

edit:

BTW, these are... pretty gross compared to Clif Builder bars. Got them from Costco, not planning on buying again.

db_file_img_29_450xauto.jpg

Cross post from the pics thread:

Turned 33 a few days ago and had some fun time out in Cancun to celebrate. Trying way too hard to look cool in the water, knowing full well my geek ass is thinking about Mario 3D World and the space-time continuum.

PsgD3Zf.jpg

Luwa3gb.jpg

Have a few fitness goals I'm reaching for, but I'm getting there. Not to bad for losing over 105lbs, but I guess the road never ends. The scars are from glass by the way.

I still want to lean out a bit more so I have some wiggle room, overall I've done pretty well with cutting and building over the past few years. Still have more work to do though, but things are moving. Now, to practice patience.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the birthday wishes, bros.

Who knew two nights of eating like shit, getting drunk and barely sleeping would have an effect on gym performance :p

I just barely put up 180 for 5 on bench when I did 195 for 5 last week lolllll

Servbot24

Banned

I still want to lean out a bit more so I have some wiggle room, overall I've done pretty well with cutting and building over the past few years. Still have more work to do though, but things are moving. Now, to practice patience.

You look great man. I can understand wanting to get a bit leaner and more defined, but I will say that in general most women would much prefer your current body to someone who is just stone-chiseled.

looking good, you two. congrats.
Thanks!

You look great man. I can understand wanting to get a bit leaner and more defined, but I will say that in general most women would much prefer your current body to someone who is just stone-chiseled.
I'm with you. Just a slight bit more definition around the core and I'll feel like I'm there, but I definitely don't want too much of a chiseled look. Really do appreciate your kind words. Makes a difference.

stn

GAF, started working out last week. Any insight on my diet? I usually have some combination of the items listed:

Breakfast - oatmeal, raisins, blueberry or peanut butter and bread
Lunch - salmon, beans, vegetables, eggs
Snack - vegetables, peanut butter and bread, sandwiches
Dinner - chicken, pasta
Snack - vegetables, fruits, sandwiches

I drink tons of water, am going to insert milk back into my diet, and take a protein shake on the days that I actually work out. I have a goal to gain weight AND muscle. Thanks.

GAF, started working out last week. Any insight on my diet? I usually have some combination of the items listed:

Dinner - chicken, pasta

I drink tons of water, am going to insert milk back into my diet, and take a protein shake on the days that I actually work out. I have a goal to gain weight AND muscle. Thanks.

You can use milk in place of water when you make oatmeal for some easy calories. Also, if you find yourself super short on protein you can easily mix in a half or entire scoop of vanilla or plain protein powder into your oatmeal.

I'd say everything you have there is very health-promoting overall. I don't really have anything to suggest. Are you concerned about a specific aspect of your diet or just looking for general comments?

Servbot24

Banned
make sure you're eating organic peanut butter, the big brand stuff might help you gain weight but it isn't good for you. Also that seems like a lot of bread, but that's just me

stn

Just looking for general comments, yeah. Also, the items I listed - I don't eat all of them for one meal. Just wanted to make that clear. And yes, I eat bread but wholemeal. I kicked white bread out of my diet. Some other questions:

1. Beef. Yay or nay?
2. Okay to drink tea and coffee?

Thanks. :)

Servbot24

Banned
Anyone eat this stuff?

555_PackShot.png

3 bucks for a box and it gives me about 5 good meals. Good amount of protein and fiber in there, tastes pretty good too. I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, then have this cereal closer to my workout.

make sure you're eating organic peanut butter, the big brand stuff might help you gain weight but it isn't good for you. Also that seems like a lot of bread, but that's just me

What's wrong with non-organic peanut butter? If you're worried about added sugar, you can get "natural" (no sugar added) peanut butter that isn't necessarily organic.

Just looking for general comments, yeah. Also, the items I listed - I don't eat all of them for one meal. Just wanted to make that clear. And yes, I eat bread but wholemeal. I kicked white bread out of my diet. Some other questions:

1. Beef. Yay or nay?

Beef is fine. As with any food I would not eat it for every meal, but it's good stuff. Tea and coffee are fine, I'd just try not to go crazy on the caffeine or you'll become somewhat dependent on it. If you're concerned with your total calories and macros, be sure to take into account how much sugar or dairy you add into your coffee. My brother, for example, drinks about 12-14 8 fl oz cups of coffee a day, but 25% of that is cream of some sort.

Anyone eat this stuff?

555_PackShot.png

3 bucks for a box and it gives me about 5 good meals. Good amount of protein and fiber in there, tastes pretty good too. I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, then have this cereal closer to my workout.

GoLean (and even GoLean Crisp) is my go-to cold cereal when I'm too short on time to make eggs or oatmeal. I probably eat a bowl of it once every week or two. It's great stuff and probably the best easy-to-find cereal I've ever seen.

Anyone eat this stuff?

555_PackShot.png

i thought the one with berries is pretty good. usually i just get shredded wheat if i want cereal bc its so cheap. the berries one is really good tho

Dinner - chicken, pasta

It depends on a couple of variable factors:

Whats your weight?
Your height?
How much of this lean meat and protein rich food do you eat in total?

All of the above that you mention could be a decent bulking diet, but it depends on the quantity.

The amount of sugar included in the diet by first impression seems kinda iffy imo.

But hey that's all individual.

1. Beef. Yay or nay?

1. Yay!
2. Of course! Coffee for example is an excellent pre-workout drink or just even early in the morning when you need a good kick in the ass to wake up.

EDIT: Btw, don't forget - or rather I strongly suggest - to implement bananas and eggs into your diet. Bananas contain alot of good fibers and potassium. Eggs are just easy and cheap protein.

stn

It depends on a couple of variable factors:

Whats your weight?
Your height?
How much of this lean meat and protein rich food do you eat in total?

All of the above that you mention could be a decent bulking diet, but it depends on the quantity.

The amount of sugar included in the diet by first impression seems kinda iffy imo.

But hey that's all individual.

1. Yay!
2. Of course! Coffee for example is an excellent pre-workout drink or just even early in the morning when you need a good kick in the ass to wake up.

EDIT: Btw, don't forget - or rather I strongly suggest - to implement bananas and eggs into your diet. Bananas contain alot of good fibers and potassium. Eggs are just easy and cheap protein.
I'm 6'0, 173lbs. In terms of quantity I consume over 100g of protein a day. I'll try to quantify my meal next time. But typically I'll eat a whole portion of whatever chicken/fish I buy (ex. 300g of salmon). Thanks, I'll look into beef! In terms of sugar I really only have it in my breakfast. I eat wholemeal bread and not white, I've read that's perfectly fine. And yes, I got bananas and eggs in there (had them both today, lol).

Thanks bud! :)

I'm 6'0, 173lbs. In terms of quantity I consume over 100g of protein a day. I'll try to quantify my meal next time. But typically I'll eat a whole portion of whatever chicken/fish I buy (ex. 300g of salmon). Thanks, I'll look into beef! In terms of sugar I really only have it in my breakfast. I eat wholemeal bread and not white, I've read that's perfectly fine. And yes, I got bananas and eggs in there (had them both today, lol).

Thanks bud! :)

Ok, If you're 182 cm and 78 kg, you'll need to eat way more. Around 1 gr of protein pr. lb.
300 g of salmon is approx. 60~75 gram of protein if I'm not mistaken. That's too little imo.

You could try using the calculator on the front page to calculate your approx. maintenance calorie estimate, and add about 500 calories to it. Bulk now, cut later.

Photos of your current body/frame would be pretty useful for us to determine which way you should be going.

You'll be lifting heavy shit and your body will need alot of calories (energy) to execute those exercises.

Imm0rt4l

looking thick, solid, tight.

Goddamn. Really shows that muscle hypertrophy and strength gains are most certainly not one and the same.

Yep. Dude has some very respectable numbers when we're talking pound for pound.

I would actually guess he's wearing briefs. I could be wrong though. Still strong as hell.

Edit: Actually it looks like he's wearing a single ply squat suit. This one to be exact.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TRX

Yea, he wears a squat suit. I have no idea how much it increases your lifts, and I don't really know anything about them. I'm guessing that's something you can use in geared meets? I'm admittedly kinda ignorant on powerlifting, but I hope to give it a shot next year.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So damn excited to make my return to the gym tomorrow. I've given myself 9 days rest since pulling my lower back during squats. 9 days, holy shit; it's a good thing I've been so insanely busy with work that I didn't have time to feel like shit for not exercising.

I'll also be starting Madcow's 5x5. Seems like a really fun program, and one highly tailored to me. I love that it hits all the big compounds (my favorite exercises to perform), but unlike SS it seems more varied thanks to the weight progression during each set. I feel like that'll keep me from getting bored.

inb4fitnessghostgetsmeagain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom