• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
looking thick, solid, tight.

Yep. Dude has some very respectable numbers when we're talking pound for pound.

Yea, he wears a squat suit. I have no idea how much it increases your lifts, and I don't really know anything about them. I'm guessing that's something you can use in geared meets? I'm admittedly kinda ignorant on powerlifting, but I hope to give it a shot next year.

Singleply less so, but they can and do add hundreds to lifts. The one lift with the least carry over geared is deadlift. Also, not all PL comps are geared and it's pretty complicated as even "raw" has different "raws" in fact it's become a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY3Zqd3G3ho

Mark1

I seem to be finding the bench press weaker than last time. Having a hard time even doing the same weight as on Friday. Why is this?

Also I noticed with the squat that sometimes I'm leaning forward while doing them and having to use my back to go to the top position of it. Is this ok?

Edit: also if I find I can only do 3 reps instead of 5, would that ok? (Referring to the Beginner Full Body Routine in the OP)

Edit 2: yep I've gone down 5kg on the bench press, can't do a full set of them. Could this be due to the running I do on Sundays?

J. Bravo

I seem to be finding the bench press weaker than last time. Having a hard time even doing the same weight as on Friday. Why is this?

Also I noticed with the squat that sometimes I'm leaning forward while doing them and having to use my back to go to the top position of it. Is this ok?

Edit: also if I find I can only do 3 reps instead of 5, would that ok? (Referring to the Beginner Full Body Routine in the OP)
well if you benched on Friday, and are doing the beginner routine, I'm not sure why you're benching today. Aren't you supposed to alternate the workouts? Your chest is probably still recovering, and that's why its hard today.

no it is not okay. Keep your chest up as much as possible.

if you can't do the weight for all 3 sets of 5 reps, then you should probably try again for two more workouts. If you fail it 3 times total, lower the weight.

edit: just saw your running edit. I can safely say that its not doing you any favors in recovery. I didn't do any cardio except basketball a few times a week during my starting strength days.

it could be diet, but, being only monday, i'm going to suggest that you just aren't recovered from friday yet. especially when you start working out, it takes a few days before you regain your full strength sometimes. if i feel this is the case, and i still want to work out that part that day, i'll just do less weight and focus on more reps

Mark1

well if you benched on Friday, and are doing the beginner routine, I'm not sure why you're benching today. Aren't you supposed to alternate the workouts? Your chest is probably still recovering, and that's why its hard today.

if you can't do the weight for all 3 sets of 5 reps, then you should probably try again for two more workouts. If you fail it 3 times total, lower the weight.

edit: just saw your running edit. I can safely say that its not doing you any favors in recovery. I didn't do any cardio except basketball a few times a week during my starting strength days.
The programme has me doing bench presses on Mondays and Fridays.

I think I'll cut out the running, I only do it on Sundays but it may be the problem.

Re Squats I suspect that's to do with not resting long enough.

The programme has me doing bench presses on Mondays and Fridays.

I think I'll cut out the running, I only do it on Sundays but it may be the problem.

Re Squats I suspect that's to do with not resting long enough.

well just a suggestion, you could always just switch to an A/B type workout. where for instance day A you do bench press, deadlift, etc. and day B you do OHP, squats, etc, and you just rotate which workout you do each time you go to the gym. that way you'd have more time to recover from individual exercises and still be able to run.

J. Bravo

well just a suggestion, you could always just switch to an A/B type workout. where for instance day A you do bench press, deadlift, etc. and day B you do OHP, squats, etc, and you just rotate which workout you do each time you go to the gym. that way you'd have more time to recover from individual exercises and still be able to run.
that's what the full body beginner routine in the op is. It's basically starting strength. I'm not sure why squiddy neglected to mention alternating the workouts.

So damn excited to make my return to the gym tomorrow. I've given myself 9 days rest since pulling my lower back during squats. 9 days, holy shit; it's a good thing I've been so insanely busy with work that I didn't have time to feel like shit for not exercising.

I'll also be starting Madcow's 5x5. Seems like a really fun program, and one highly tailored to me. I love that it hits all the big compounds (my favorite exercises to perform), but unlike SS it seems more varied thanks to the weight progression during each set. I feel like that'll keep me from getting bored.

inb4fitnessghostgetsmeagain

Same here, same here, I've been feeling like shit not being able to go to the gym.
Tomorrow's the day!

that's what the full body beginner routine in the op is. It's basically starting strength. I'm not sure why squiddy neglected to mention alternating the workouts.

The A/B alternating routine is actually in the OP!

Had a good Chest & Biceps day today. Arms were really pumped. Downside, my hands were a bit shaky post workout and I dropped my phone and smashed the glass. On the plus side I have 16.4" arms now.

J. Bravo

Yeah I saw that but starting strength is an alternating workout as well. Doesn't really matter as long as people are following a routine.

Mark1

Yeah, today was a bad gym day, it seems to be happening a lot now. I am so determined to look athletic (it will improve my confidence so much) but I feel like so many mistakes are being made on my part that I'm starting to lose hope :(. True I am seeing the weights go up but every time I go to the gym it seems like I'm doing something every fuckin' time and it's starting to annoy me. The other day it felt like I was finally out of this plateau (has lasted a good half year now) but the fact I'm getting weaker on my bench press is not helping.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Left shoulder is tweaked a bit so I'm taking the week off from chest, shoulders, and back. Going in right now for strictly a bicep day! Watch out!

I havent shaved in a month and don't plan on shaving until my cut in March.

ba559cf65dddfffe18392ad70012e0ef.jpg

Walked into the gym. Was suppose to be my final week of the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine. 2 reps @ 450.

Got into the gym and said fuck it. Felt great going through my warmup and through the early sets. I'm going for 500 lbs.

I nailed it. I got it easy. Seriously, when I lifted that weight and dropped it down, I was on top of the world. Deadlift was by far my weakest lift and now it is my strongest. I tried to do 510 lbs but it just wouldn't budge lol. I think I took too long between that final set. Whatever. I'm hyped. I plan to try again this Saturday or Sunday.

No belts, no straps. Just chalk. Weighed in at 256 lbs today.

If you guys are looking for a deadlift program, I highly recommend the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine. I had a 5RM @ 385 lbs this summer. Maxed out @ 415. Now, I'm at 500 lbs, shooting for 510 this weekend.

Next up, 315 lbs @ bench.

Mark1

Hang on I didn't know we had to alternate the workouts...I thought it was the same thing every week. I'm confused now.

J. Bravo

Hang on I didn't know we had to alternate the workouts...I thought it was the same thing every week. I'm confused now.
Monday - squat bench deadlift
Wednesday - squat press power clean
Friday - squat bench deadlift
Monday - squat press power clean
etc...

also eat more. I promise you're not eating enough. Well, probably not.

Water

I was out of the gym 3 weeks (!) because of being buried under work and being lazy. But today I jumped back in and it felt great. Doesn't even feel like I lost too much strength, my previous DL training weight was 5x137.5 and I pulled 5x130 today no problem. 5x75 bench also went smoothly (was at 5x80). I think I'll be back on track in two weeks or so.

how much should i deload to work on my squat form.

i feel like if i keep pushing myself forward i'll hurt myself.

Personally, if your form is significantly off, I think you should deload down to just the bar (or, if that feels just too light, add 10 or 20 lbs maximum). I'm fairly strict in regards to concerns on form though when it comes to big movements; getting proper form on your squat and deadlift is just too important to risk injury by pushing heavy weights improperly.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Boy, if you want to feel like a tool go in and superset BB curls with hammers and leave.

etc...

Wut

This doesn't make sense on SS? Every day has it's individual routine...

Am I missing something? D-:

Mark1

etc...

I've been getting stronger with the weights, it's only today where I found I was weaker at the Bench Press that's all.

Cagey

Banned
Walked into the gym. Was suppose to be my final week of the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine. 2 reps @ 450.

Got into the gym and said fuck it. Felt great going through my warmup and through the early sets. I'm going for 500 lbs.

I nailed it. I got it easy. Seriously, when I lifted that weight and dropped it down, I was on top of the world. Deadlift was by far my weakest lift and now it is my strongest. I tried to do 510 lbs but it just wouldn't budge lol. I think I took too long between that final set. Whatever. I'm hyped. I plan to try again this Saturday or Sunday.

No belts, no straps. Just chalk. Weighed in at 256 lbs today.

If you guys are looking for a deadlift program, I highly recommend the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine. I had a 5RM @ 385 lbs this summer. Maxed out @ 415. Now, I'm at 500 lbs, shooting for 510 this weekend.

Next up, 315 lbs @ bench.

Jeeeezus.

I think I just broke the land speed record for cut=>Google=>paste=>search after seeing that.

Mark1

I can't believe I've been doing the same workouts on the same days for the past few weeks. I thought that was meant to be the case.

Valus

I would like some tips if possible. I'm tall (6'4") and skinny (195 lbs) and pretty weak as crap. Been doing crossfit (I know I know) this entire year and it's been pretty good overall. When I started this back in January I clocked in at 140 lbs and hadn't really ever worked out before.

So I know I've improved overall but I feel like I'm plateauing. My weight gain has slowed significantly despite my diet not changing (roughly 4k calories a day) and I'm not sure why. Do I seriously need to add even more calories or is this just how it is? I still feel like I have a long way to go and it's frustrating to be having these issues already.

I picked up Starting Strength as I feel like crossfit isn't giving me the gains I want. I'm reading through it slowly and plan on doing the program but I'd like some tips.

1) My bench is really weak. My 1RM is only 125. Should I just hit the program with the low weight and start moving up? Should I be spending some time doing push ups to just build up some basic strength?

2) I have a hard time keeping my chest up when I squat. It's gotten better since I started earlier this year but I'm still struggling. Also I can't get my ass to the grass if my life depended on it. Is this a mobility issue? Any pointers on how to get more depth while maintaining my balance (I always start to fall back when I go too low) as well as keeping my chest up?

3) I'm using my lower back too much when I deadlift. Same with the squat...it's hard for me to get that depth while keeping my chest up/maintaining dat lumbar curve. It's gotten better since I started but it's still not perfect. I don't know if my height has anything to do with it or not so I'm just looking for tips.

Jeeeezus.

I think I just broke the land speed record for cut=>Google=>paste=>search after seeing that.

To be fair, I was on a cut and tried to test out my 1RM in July. Started the program in August and this was the 12th week. Did back on Tuesday, deadlifts on Saturday.

Cagey

Banned
To be fair, I was on a cut and tried to test out my 1RM in July. Started the program in August and this was the 12th week. Did back on Tuesday, deadlifts on Saturday.

Yo to be fair, I don't give a fuck if you were cutting, that's incredible dude. I've been stuck on 375x5 and 395x1 (I swear 405 is nothing but a mental barrier... I've twice gotten the bar to my kneecaps).

I will be investigating. Thanks.

I've been getting stronger with the weights, it's only today where I found I was weaker at the Bench Press that's all.

That's really nothing to be concerned about, or to change up your program for (unless you've not correctly followed it up until now).
Some days, you will be weak, due to lack of sleep/food/rest/etc.

If you're consistently weak though, then you might want to look into why that is the case, but for now just focus on the above basics.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I've eaten a lot of the Cinnamon Roll flavour Quest Bars, and I'm going to get a new box shortly and I wanted to ask what's considered the best flavour(s)?

Yo to be fair, I don't give a fuck if you were cutting, that's incredible dude. I've been stuck on 375x5 and 395x1 (I swear 405 is nothing but a mental barrier... I've twice gotten the bar to my kneecaps).

I will be investigating. Thanks.

I highly recommend you do more hamstring and glute work. GHR, RDL, Hip/Glute thrusts, etc.

FallingEdge getting his powerbomb strength up.

Tijso.gif

Pushing really hard on my chest. I got my bench up to 150 tonight and it felt really clean and good. I really empathized powering through to my legs and keeping everything tight. I still don't get the feeling I'm expecting to feel in my pecs when I'm doing the bench, even after 4x8. I definitely had a little pump going before I finished my workout though.

I can't wait until the develop more. I imagine the pump gets more intense the larger the muscles are.

It's comforting to know that my chest is my only muscle group behind. Everything else is coming along really nicely with exceptional development in back, legs and arms.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ok I'm back Fitness-GAF. I've been doing this routine for the last two weeks:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press/Press - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-ups - 3 sets to failure

I'm doing Dumbbell bench press. Today I was able to do 3x5 with two 65 pound dumbbells. I squatted today at 215 (3x5), and I did 3 sets of chin-ups to failure. I have three questions:

1. Can someone explain to me what just a regular ole' press is? I didn't realize that I should be alternating them out until today.

2. Should I be working anything else out at all? Can I add abdominal workouts (along with cardio) to this?

3. How long should I stick with this routine?

The workout above makes my machine-routine feel like a joke btw. My body is starting to get accustomed to it, but the first week was a bit rough.

Ok I'm back Fitness-GAF. I've been doing this routine for the last two weeks:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-ups - 3 sets to failure

I'm doing Dumbbell bench press. Today I was able to do 3x5 with two 65 pound dumbbells. I squatted today at 215 (3x5), and I did 3 sets of chin-ups to failure. I have three questions:

1. Can someone explain to me what just a regular ole' press is? I didn't realize that I should be alternating them out until today.

2. Should I be working anything else out at all? Can I add abdominal workouts (along with cardio) to this?

3. How long should I stick with this routine?

The workout above makes my machine-routine feel like a joke btw. My body is starting to get accustomed to it, but the first week was a bit rough.

it's referring to overhead press. HIIT right after lifting is good, just don't do too much. do it until you stop making gains.

have you been squatting since before doing that routine? bc 215 is crazy high for just 2 weeks!

adding in ab workouts is ok, but squats and deadlifts will help with those a lot. you can add some stuff but beware going overboard. doing too much as a beginner just starts to slow down your process on the main lifts sometimes. rest is very important. don't start heavy running on tuesday and thursday then wonder why your lifts are so much better on monday.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
it's referring to overhead press. HIIT right after lifting is good, just don't do too much. do it until you stop making gains.

have you been squatting since before doing that routine? bc 215 is crazy high for just 2 weeks!

adding in ab workouts is ok, but squats and deadlifts will help with those a lot. you can add some stuff but beware going overboard. doing too much as a beginner just starts to slow down your process on the main lifts sometimes. rest is very important. don't start heavy running on tuesday and thursday then wonder why your lifts are so much better on monday.

Oh ok thanks! I'll start doing OP on Wednesday. I did leg presses for over two months beforehand and I run at least three times a week. When I lifted weights in high school squat was always my strength (and power clean my weakness).

I'll be cautious with adding anything, but I'm currently planning on adding some ab workouts in on my off-days. Maybe start some HIIT on fridays as well.

Oh ok thanks! I'll start doing OP on Wednesday. I did leg presses for over two months beforehand and I run at least three times a week. When I lifted weights in high school squat was always my strength (and power clean my weakness).

I'll be cautious with adding anything, but I'm currently planning on adding some ab workouts in on my off-days. Maybe start some HIIT on fridays as well.

it definitely is your strong point, keep it up man, you'll hit 3 plates no doubt if you keep it up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
First day of Madcow's 5x5... Changing weights constantly in tiny increments is annoying. :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn, I had no idea that a bunch of gear (as in things you wear!) could help that much.

Yeah dude, when you see at 1k+ squat deadlift or 750+ bench it's with gear.

The shit can literally add 200+ pounds easy to your lift, but you have to know how to use it, size it and lift with it correctly. It doesn't just add that much weight magically right from the get go.

And anyone lifting those weights even in gear is legit strong in the first place.

abuC

Yeah dude, when you see at 1k+ squat deadlift or 750+ bench it's with gear.

The shit can literally add 200+ pounds easy to your lift, but you have to know how to use it, size it and lift with it correctly. It doesn't just add that much weight magically right from the get go.

And anyone lifting those weights even in gear is legit strong in the first place.

Yeah, world record for bench press raw is 722lbs, with one of those bench shirts it's 1076.9lbs

That's just an insane difference to be honest.

Petrie

Banned
When you guys take time off, do things sometimes hurt more?

The center of my back felt like something was off so I decided to truly take a break, but my shoulder that had felt a bit off feels like it hurts far worse each morning. I'm thinking it's part of the heading process, but I'm not really sure. Would appreciate any input.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hi friends, it's me, Sunflower. I'm back.

Ate like shit this past weekend. Had company from out of town. It's worth it. Missed you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom