• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can't really do a linear progression with dumbbells, at least not for very long since most gyms have dumbbells that increase in 5lb increments, thus you are adding 10lb to the movement per jump. That's unsustainable. With barbells you can go up in 1lb increments if need be if you get small enough plates.

Also, barbells allow you to move more weight, which means more overall muscle mass at work and more CNS work as well. Beginners should focus on barbell bench while intermediates can probably use DB bench as assistance.

Not to say DB bench press isn't good or anything, it's just that for strength building purposes barbell bench is probably superior for the reasons stated above. That's why we prefer Barbell OHP too.

Do you have access to a power rack? You can always bench there if you don't have a spotter.

Good point about the 10lb jumps when it comes to dumbbells. I didn't think of that. I'm going to stick with BBs as my primary bench lift for sure. I also do barbell OHP, but obviously there's not a whole ton of fear of killing yourself with that exercise.

I do have access to a power rack, but I always feel like an asshole for using it when there are lots of people in the gym and tons of benches are open. I really hate the proportion of benches to power rack/squat racks in the two gyms I go to. We have like 5 normal benches, and a bunch more of the slanted variety, but only two squat racks and one power rack in each.

Cooper

yeah she can squat 65 np, but then form dies. Her back and shoulders are so messed up though.

Just curious, what kind of shoes does she wear when she squats? I posted a video here a while back when I got that "I'm falling forward" feeling, and several people advised me to change out of my generic cross-trainer/tennis shoes. I did, and I must say it's been helpful.

Imm0rt4l

I hate that fucker. He's basically what spawns from the ooze when you mix an MBA in marketing with steroids. His ads seem to pop up everywhere for me, even in GAF. Worst ones are the "Trainers HATE him!" while he's shown eating cake with a stupid grin.

My sentiments exactly.

He has another spot called Mikechangcheats lol. It's basically him mocking that he may be on gear as a lame joke. Where does the dude get the ad dollars?

biggest fitness youtube channel, unfortunately he's able to prey on the uninformed very easily with buzzwords like "my magic juice" "secret formula" "shortcuts". It's a shame.

He has a nice physique, not one that screams PED's at all, but the guy is a businessman and it would undoubtedly benefit him so he could be, everything else about him is disingenuous so I don't doubt it.

ha, first time seeing this

abuC

In the future beards may end up being banned from powerlifting competitions, there's clearly a performance edge at work. My best numbers have been with a beard, and once I shaved it down my shoulders started hurting. I'm guessing I threw off my balance between my traps/necks which is causing my shoulders to compensate now that the weight of my glorious beard is gone.

Szu

In the future beards may end up being banned from powerlifting competitions, there's clearly a performance edge at work. My best numbers have been with a beard, and once I shaved it down my shoulders started hurting. I'm guessing I threw off my balance between my traps/necks which is causing my shoulders to compensate now that the weight of my glorious beard is gone.

I can't grow a beard.

I'm sad now.

Chocobro

yeah high bar. We only had a few minutes last night which definitely did not help with teaching form, but yeah her upper back was super loose. I honestly couldn't feel any muscle tension when I poked it while she was flexing away from the bar, which is why I want her to start actually lifting. Her posture is horrible which I'm sure is doing her no favors.

Yeah, that's not a lot of time to teach form.
Is her posture a bit kyphotic? My posture wasn't bad when I started lifting a few months ago, but I do corrective stretching and pre-hab anyway to improve my posture as much as possible and to prevent it from being kyphotic. Every time I go to the gym, I would do underhand band pull aparts with a resistance band, can be done overhand if you want. I also do shoulder dislocation with the resistance band. In addition to that, when I foam roll my legs before a workout, I would do thoracic extension stretch (video demonstration). At home I would use a self-made bio-energetic stool every morning, afternoon, and night and foam roll before I go to bed. Maybe these will help with her posture, I feel my posture has improved after doing the above frequently.

EDIT: All this talk about having a beard makes me sad. Asians can't grow beards (properly?) :(

teiresias

Can anyone recommend a whey protein (or perhaps an isolate would be better) for doing a low-carb cut? After getting through the holidays and finishing my current building program I'd like to try and actually legitimately do a cutting diet - and see if I can do it properly sometime before I hit 40, haha.

I've never had trouble putting on size and like my muscle size (though I'm weaker than people think just looking at me, but I don't really care too much about pushing huge amounts of weight like some).

I've always tended to use Gaspari Whey, but that's got like 9g of carbs and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion that's better and potentially easy on one's stomach, intestine, and bowels - the main reason I've stuck to Gaspari since it's one of the few that doesn't kill my digestive system.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TACO BELL REMOVED THEIR VOLCANO MENU

SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

Can anyone recommend a whey protein (or perhaps an isolate would be better) for doing a low-carb cut? After getting through the holidays and finishing my current building program I'd like to try and actually legitimately do a cutting diet - and see if I can do it properly sometime before I hit 40, haha.

I've never had trouble putting on size and like my muscle size (though I'm weaker than people think just looking at me, but I don't really care too much about pushing huge amounts of weight like some).

I've always tended to use Gaspari Whey, but that's got like 9g of carbs and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion that's better and potentially easy on one's stomach, intestine, and bowels - the main reason I've stuck to Gaspari since it's one of the few that doesn't kill my digestive system.

It's expensive (cheapest I can find is on Amazon), but I fucking love Nature's Best brand Isopure protein. I usually buy the vanilla, but I also use the "natural/unflavored" one from time to time. Lots of different flavors and varieties, but I'd say they're worth a look. I think they're all 1g or less of carbs.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
380lb bench. Went up easy as hell. Failed at 390, but I think I set up wrong or the cage was off. Nothing felt "fatigued" in my muscles at all. I also failed after that at 385, but at that point it was bound to happen.

Definitely think I'm gonna get 400 on or before Jan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEAUFCMfJkE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUR_Gu9uB5kK78QuacYHONdA

SwoleGun! Definitely have 400 in the book.

Finally did some OHP and shoulders felt ok this time, didn't go heavy, shoulders are so weak now. Triceps were doing ALL the work lol.

Also hit my biceps after weighted pull ups, went heavy x5 and then finished off with 50lbs 4x10 pullups.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I did it. No green stuff for me which meant no massive candy binge! Haha! I feel like I've accomplished something pretty big here. It's the little things guys. :)

Dany

Banned
no gym for a month. FUCK

1425657_568602009862230_339345954_n.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SwoleGun! Definitely have 400 in the book.

Finally did some OHP and shoulders felt ok this time, didn't go heavy, shoulders are so weak now. Triceps were doing ALL the work lol.

Also hit my biceps after weighted pull ups, went heavy x5 and then finished off with 50lbs 4x10 pullups.

Yeah, I'm feeling good about it. At least your shoulders held up! Awesome man!

I did it. No green stuff for me which meant no massive candy binge! Haha! I feel like I've accomplished something pretty big here. It's the little things guys. :)

Think of all the gains you're gonna miss out on now.

No, just, no.

Dany

Banned
Tendonitis of my right arm. Inner elbow, the distal tendon of bicep brachii.. I've had bad form my first two years. I've had tendon problems for awhile because i wasn't watching myself. And yesterday I almost fainted at the gym because it was painful. came out of nowhere. Most likely do to overstressing it days prior at work.

Fun shit. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
So for 5/3/1 I don't need to increase the weight for assistance exercises week to week right? And if I do increase it'll be per month like for the compounds?. Since I'm thinking next month I reinput my numbers in strstd but increase them by 5-10 lbs depending on the compound.

Cudder

Id say take a rest, but my body doesn't feel beat up at all and I consider this my hobby.

Plus all that food is gonna give me MTP/Brolic like strength.

I'll definitely be working out still. I'll take it easy though. Just gonna throw some dumbbells around for a bit and call it a day.
ie. jumping in the pool right after. ;)

Nilaul

Quick question:

Does Creatine Monohydrate makes you gain weight like normal Creatine? Or Im I looking at alkalyn creatine?

Basically looking for a way to put on lean muscle/get ripped.

Noema

So for 5/3/1 I don't need to increase the weight for assistance exercises week to week right? And if I do increase it'll be per month like for the compounds?. Since I'm thinking next month I reinput my numbers in strstd but increase them by 5-10 lbs depending on the compound.

Yes, usually you increase them every cycle.

despire

Quick question:

Does Creatine Monohydrate makes you gain weight like normal Creatine? Or Im I looking at alkalyn creatine?

Basically looking for a way to put on lean muscle/get ripped.

Creatine monohydrate is the normal creatine. It's the one that has been proven effective. Any other sort is just more or less a ripoff.

5/3/1 is really a very slow program. Every time I'm at the gym I want to just put on more weight than the program prescribes, but I just keep reminding myself "OK, slow gains are still gains and are better than no gains." I've stuck to 5/3/1 strictly for 2+ full cycles now (at 3 workouts/week), which is hardly anything in the long term. Just gotta remind myself to keep pushing those last sets and do not alter the program. I spent a couple years spinning my wheels on a bad routine with no clear guidance for adding more weight, so now is not the time to fall back into that.

Also, I've mentioned it a few times, but I love jumping rope. Makes for a nice 10-15 minute cardio session on my off days.

In addition, I also love slow cookers. I made some chicken and rice, salsa chicken, and some beef stew all in the past week. Makes for easy meals and easy left overs. I bake some asparagus, eat an avocado, or have a big ass salad as a side and then some fruit, milk, rice, and water and bam, awesome meals that are pretty easy to put together.

Petrie

Banned
5/3/1 is really a very slow program. Every time I'm at the gym I want to just put on more weight than the program prescribes, but I just keep reminding myself "OK, slow gains are still gains and are better than no gains." I've stuck to 5/3/1 strictly for 2+ full cycles now (at 3 workouts/week), which is hardly anything in the long term. Just gotta remind myself to keep pushing those last sets and do not alter the program. I spent a couple years spinning my wheels on a bad routine with no clear guidance for adding more weight, so now is not the time to fall back into that.

It's not a beginner program. If you feel you should be adding more weight more frequently, you shouldn't be on an intermediate program yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Confirmed. Volcano Menu at Taco Bell is dead. Someone help me find FallingEdge. I think we're dying.

It's not a beginner program. If you feel you should be adding more weight more frequently, you shouldn't be on an intermediate program yet.

I don't consider myself a beginner, I just sometimes worry I estimated my 1RMs a bit too low. What I mean is, I'm able to knock out anywhere from 5-10 reps on my final set for each day on my non-deload weeks, and I have to remind myself that this is not unusual or a bad thing. I'd rather progress slowly and consistently than jump the weight up too quickly and stall out after only a couple of cycles.

Petrie

Banned
I don't consider myself a beginner, I just sometimes worry I estimated my 1RMs a bit too low. What I mean is, I'm able to knock out anywhere from 5-10 reps on my final set for each day on my non-deload weeks, and I have to remind myself that this is not unusual or a bad thing. I'd rather progress slowly and consistently than jump the weight up too quickly and stall out after only a couple of cycles.

Doesn't mean you aren't one. That's all I'm saying.

Vio-Lence

Banned

I disagree. Guy said he's only completed 2 cycles of 5/3/1, Wendler strongly suggests starting off lighter to ensure a longer period of progression instead of starting too heavy and having to reset right away. I don't think it's atypical for somebody to be hitting like 10+ reps on 5s day, 8 on 3s day, and 5+ on 1s day for the first few cycles depending on how they figured their 90% TM. If a lifter sticks with 5/3/1 long enough they might not start grinding for 7 or 8 months+.

Petrie

Banned
I disagree. Guy said he's only completed 2 cycles of 5/3/1, Wendler strongly suggests starting off lighter to ensure a longer period of progression instead of starting too heavy and having to reset right away. I don't think it's atypical for somebody to be hitting like 10+ reps on 5s day, 8 on 3s day, and 5+ on 1s day for the first few cycles depending on how they figured their 90% TM. If a lifter sticks with 5/3/1 long enough they might not start grinding for 7 or 8 months+.

That's not what I'm saying. Even if you can hit those reps, you shouldn't "Feel" like you needed more weight to be challenged. If you do, you're likely not ready.

I'm aware. What's the definition of a beginner?

Someone who can still add weight on a lift each workout, or without more complex programming, like 5/3/1

If you have to ask that question, you're a beginner.

When in doubt you're a beginner.

Even when you think you're not, you're a beginner.

P.S I still consider myself a beginner.

Also this. I don't consider myself a beginner, nor should Shogun, but there is a point to what he's saying.

Vio-Lence

Banned
That's not what I'm saying. Even if you can hit those reps, you shouldn't "Feel" like you needed more weight to be challenged. If you do, you're likely not ready.

Again you are wrong. His last E-book Beyond 5-3-1 is filled with addendums to the program such as First Set Last and Joker Sets for the days where you feel great or have a lot left in the tank.

Petrie

Banned
Again you are wrong. His last E-book Beyond 5-3-1 is filled with addendums to the program such as First Set Last and Joker Sets for the days where you feel great or have a lot left in the tank.

I'm not wrong. Having something left in the tank isn't the same as knowing you could easily add more weight. If he feels like this all the time, it's likely because he was not ready to move on to an intermediate program. You are mistaking me exposing a possibility for me saying this is ABSOLUTELY happening to him, which I am not. So take that condescending crap elsewhere.

If you have to ask that question, you're a beginner.

When in doubt you're a beginner.

Even when you think you're not, you're a beginner.

P.S I still consider myself a beginner.

Personally, I think the term loses meaning when you'd go as far as to call yourself a beginner. I'm not saying I'm some advanced beast of a lifter, and I'll always strive to learn more about lifting in addition to actually practicing it, but to me, a beginner is someone in their first six months to 1 year of lifting while they're still making consistent, linear gains. I asked Petrie not so much for my own knowledge but to make sure I'm understanding his definition. I should have phrased the question as "What's your definition" as opposed to "What's the definition". I'm probably wasting our time discussing semantics here.

Someone who can still add weight on a lift each workout, or without more complex programming, like 5/3/1

Also this. I don't consider myself a beginner, nor should Shogun, but there is a point to what he's saying.

I think my first post is being misunderstood; 5/3/1 has proved challenging for me. I'm not going in there and walking out feeling like I wasted my time. Going from a SS-style routine to 5/3/1 though takes some adjustment, as I'm used to doing no more than 3 or 5 reps per set, so when I'm able to hit ~10 reps for my 5s day I just have to remind myself that it isn't abnormal. By the time I hit that 10th rep I'm spent.

I like the 5/3/1 philosophy: start "too" light, progress slowly, stick to the program, eat, rest, condition, and get stronger. When I started lifting, I could add on 5 or 10 lbs to each major lift at least once a week. That ran out after 3 or 4 months. I spun my wheels trying to repeat this practice for a few years, deloading as needed/frequently, and gaining slightly, but finally decided to switch to something different. I appreciate the concern Petrie, sincerely, but I think I'm better off with 5/3/1. Worst case, absolutely worst case, is that I'm "wasting" my beginner gains, which I assure you I already have used up long ago.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Personally, I think the term loses meaning when you'd go as far as to call yourself a beginner. I'm not saying I'm some advanced beast of a lifter, and I'll always strive to learn more about lifting in addition to actually practicing it, but to me, a beginner is someone in their first six months to 1 year of lifting while they're still making consistent, linear gains. I asked Petrie not so much for my own knowledge but to make sure I'm understanding his definition. I should have phrased the question as "What's your definition" as opposed to "What's the definition". I'm probably wasting our time discussing semantics here.

I think my first post is being misunderstood; 5/3/1 has proved challenging for me. I'm not going in there and walking out feeling like I wasted my time. Going from a SS-style routine to 5/3/1 though takes some adjustment, as I'm used to doing no more than 3 or 5 reps per set, so when I'm able to hit ~10 reps for my 5s day I just have to remind myself that it isn't abnormal. By the time I hit that 10th rep I'm spent.

I like the 5/3/1 philosophy: start "too" light, progress slowly, stick to the program, eat, rest, condition, and get stronger. When I started lifting, I could add on 5 or 10 lbs to each major lift at least once a week. That ran out after 3 or 4 months. I spun my wheels trying to repeat this practice for a few years, deloading as needed/frequently, and gaining slightly, but finally decided to switch to something different. I appreciate the concern Petrie, sincerely, but I think I'm better off with 5/3/1. Worst case, absolutely worst case, is that I'm "wasting" my beginner gains, which I assure you I already have used up long ago.

To me if you don't know exactly what lifts work and what lifts don't work to push your main lifts higher, are still making quick gains, and don't know what certain pain means or how to fix it. You're a beginner.

In many ways I'm still a beginner. I nearly consider myself past this point, but not quite. I'm still working to see what works and doesn't for my squat. I know what pain is, what it means and how to fix it (usually) and I'm making crazy progress in most of my lifts still, but it is slowing.

Most people don't know any of these things. I DEFINITELY didn't know any of them at even 2 years of training.

Even then, when you're not a beginner, you need to realize you don't know everything and you always need to keep an open mind. Be critical, but keep an open mind.

To me if you don't know exactly what lifts work and what lifts don't work to push your main lifts higher, are still making quick gains, and don't know what certain pain means or how to fix it. You're a beginner.

In many ways I'm still a beginner. I nearly consider myself past this point, but not quite. I'm still working to see what works and doesn't for my squat. I know what pain is, what it means and how to fix it (usually) and I'm making crazy progress in most of my lifts still, but it is slowing.

Most people don't know any of these things. I DEFINITELY didn't know any of them at even 2 years of training.

Even then, when you're not a beginner, you need to realize you don't know everything and you always need to keep an open mind. Be critical, but keep an open mind.

I don't have a lot to say about your post, but I appreciate it. With the last portion, I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'm being close-minded, as the main reason I'm in this thread is to read and learn from other lifters. I've become much better off for participating here. I'll never reach a point I'm happy or satisfied with how I've grown or with what I've learned as a lifter, which is why I appreciate Petrie's point of view/mention of a possible alternative for me.

Anyway, carry on gents. It's coincidentally about time for me to head on out to the gym.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't have a lot to say about your post, but I appreciate it. With the last portion, I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'm being close-minded, as the main reason I'm in this thread is to read and learn from other lifters. I've become much better off for participating here. I'll never reach a point I'm happy or satisfied with how I've grown or with what I've learned as a lifter, which is why I appreciate Petrie's point of view/mention of a possible alternative for me.

Anyway, carry on gents. It's coincidentally about time for me to head on out to the gym.

I wasn't implying you were at all. No worries. Just giving my personal definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom