• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

Week 4 in each cycle is stupid as fuck. I know its for recovery, and necessary, but I hate it lol. So today I'm just going to get a huge chest pump.

Mark1

Talked to trainer at the gym about my issues with Power Cleans - we went through each of the steps for it. Had a bit of trouble with my legs at the end when the bar was at shoulder level, (the problem is when I land back on my heels I'm going forward instead of my hips going back) so we practised front squats to adapt the method with the Cleans. Before I go back to do them I have been told to do Front Squats for the next 4 weeks to adjust my legs to the ending position. The guy knows what he is doing.

Also I'm confused about the way the Full Body Beginner's routine works after what some were saying - does it alternate every week (e.g. Week 1 - ABA Week 2 - BAB)? I don't get it since there are workouts specifically for Mondays (Pull Ups), Wednesdays (Abs) and for Fridays (Bent Over Row and Arms).

Final question - how long would it be good to go on a bulk before trying to cut to look more lean (5'10", 71/72 kg)?

EDIT: Also I wasn't sure if this is just me but I think my chest has popped out a little...:D

J. Bravo

Talked to trainer at the gym about my issues with Power Cleans - we went through each of the steps for it. Had a bit of trouble with my legs at the end when the bar was at shoulder level, (the problem is when I land back on my heels I'm going forward instead of my hips going back) so we practised front squats to adapt the method with the Cleans. Before I go back to do them I have been told to do Front Squats for the next 4 weeks to adjust my legs to the ending position. The guy knows what he is doing.

Also I'm confused about the way the Full Body Beginner's routine works after what some were saying - does it alternate every week (e.g. Week 1 - ABA Week 2 - BAB)? I don't get it since there are workouts specifically for Mondays (Pull Ups), Wednesdays (Abs) and for Fridays (Bent Over Row and Arms).

Final question - how long would it be good to go on a bulk before trying to cut to look more lean (5'10", 71/72 kg)?

EDIT: Also I wasn't sure if this is just me but I think my chest has popped out a little...:D
yes, Monday is A, Wednesday is B, Friday is A, Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B.

as for your bulking question, I am 5'11"-6'ish and weigh 175. I'm trying to gain another 10-15 pounds, and stay at the 10% or so bf that I'm at now. I'd say you got a ways to go before cutting.

abuC

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a week, just did arms and some ab work, won't any heavy chest/back/leg stuff until next week. My body is feeling better already, guess I was over doing it with the volume the last few months.

Mark1

yes, Monday is A, Wednesday is B, Friday is A, Monday B, Wednesday A, Friday B.

as for your bulking question, I am 5'11"-6'ish and weigh 175. I'm trying to gain another 10-15 pounds, and stay at the 10% or so bf that I'm at now. I'd say you got a ways to go before cutting.
Woah, how are you able to stay at 10% while gaining weight?

I've been bulking for 3-4 weeks now. I find that I'm getting stronger with weights so I know it's working. What would be a good timeframe and target to reach? My squats are getting stronger like crazy, now can do 85/90 kg in comparison to 60(ish) kg weeks ago (this yesterday so will most likely be stronger now).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a week, just did arms and some ab work, won't any heavy chest/back/leg stuff until next week. My body is feeling better already, guess I was over doing it with the volume the last few months.

Good to hear. What wonders some healing does!

J. Bravo

Woah, how are you able to stay at 10% while gaining weight?

I've been bulking for 3-4 weeks now. I find that I'm getting stronger with weights so I know it's working. What would be a good timeframe and target to reach? My squats are getting stronger like crazy, now can do 85/90 kg in comparison to 60(ish) kg weeks ago (this yesterday so will most likely be stronger now).
idk. I'm sure I'll gain some fat, but I've gained the last 6 pounds cleanly. And don't get me wrong, its not like this is going to be a quick process. I bet I won't be 190 until next June or so.

if you are truly bulking, do it for a 8-12 weeks minimum. A lot of people like to bulk for 6 weeks and then cut for 12 or whatever. Its stupid. "bulking" and "cutting" take a long time to be effective, without juicing.

imo, you should bulk until you hit 195, then cut down to 180. I think at that weight and height you'd look pretty studly. Also you have to remember that a lot of your weight will be in your legs, because of the sheer volume of squats in starting strength. That's why I'm trying to get to 190, because I know my upper body will finally have some size to it at that weight.

sphinx

the piano man
It seems I lost my squat... 3 weeks and an illness and my 97.5 kgs/ 214.5 lbs squat, which is were I was standing before I had to make a pause, and it's gone.

is my mind playing tricks on me? the first workout after the illness I went for 80 kg/ 176 lbs because I knew I was just coming out of the illness and I said "just fool around and next time you'd be completely healed and back to where you left." but nope.

today I was curious and decided to stay with 85 kg/187 lbs and I felt like me CNS was being knoced down and my body was like I was lifting 120 kgs or something.... I was pissed and was swearing in mexican out loud "Pinches piernas culeras de mierda" hahahah, something I can do being in Germany without being stared at lol.

has this happened to anyone? losing considerable strength on a MC because of making a 3.5 week pause? is it normal, maybe? I knew It was going to be a setback but 17.5 kilograms?? fuck that's brutal.. better not stop hitting the gym if there's no reason to.

It seems I lost my squat... 3 weeks and an illness and my 97.5 kgs/ 214.5 lbs squat, which is were I was standing before I had to make a pause, and it's gone.

is my mind playing tricks on me? the first workout after the illness I went for 80 kg/ 176 lbs because I knew I was just coming out of the illness and I said "just fool around and next time you'd be completely healed and back to where you left." but nope.

today I was curious and decided to stay with 85 kg/187 lbs and I felt like me CNS was being knoced down and my body was like I was lifting 120 kgs or something.... I was pissed and was swearing in mexican out loud "Pinches piernas culeras de mierda" hahahah, something I can do being in Germany without being stared at lol.

has this happened to anyone? losing considerable strength on a MC because of making a 3.5 week pause? is it normal, maybe? I knew It was going to be a setback but 17.5 kilograms?? fuck that's brutal.. better not stop hitting the gym if there's no reason to.

Yeah, had the same thing happened to me mid-summer. Had a 2,5 week time out. And bam! Went from 97,5 kg down to 85 kg. Took me a month to reconquer that. Now I'm up at 105 kg squats.

Stuff like that really warns you how much strength you lose when neglecting proper dieting and your regular routine.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks sphinx. It will come back.

This.

Give it about a month and you'll be back onboard.

TopDreg

Finally hit 3x5 @ 125 on Press today. Feels like a huge achievement after struggling to improve in that lift.

Well done! I'll praise the day when I get 125 lbs (gonna work on 120 soon).

295 lb deadlift today! Soon I shall be within the glorious 300's. And then there's no turning back from the Iron Game.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Triceperatops

p3dEe4c.jpg

I hit 3x5 @ 135 today ;)

good job

I gotta say, Press is the one lift I almost never see people do at my gym. There are only two guys I've seen do strict standing press (no legs, bar down to chest). Everybody else does sitting press, push press, or brings the bar down to their eyes.

I'm mostly happy to be progressing at all in press.

SeanR1221

I gotta say, Press is the one lift I almost never see people do at my gym. There are only two guys I've seen do strict standing press (no legs, bar down to chest). Everybody else does sitting press, push press, or brings the bar down to their eyes.

I'm mostly happy to be progressing at all in press.

Same. Outside of my buddies Ive never seen a strict press.

Push press, occasionally.

Seated press, usually

Seated smith press? All the fucking time. It looks so awkward too.

And agreed on any progress being good. Completely deloading the press was the best thing I ever did. It's still early in 5/3/1 but I did 105x11 (5s week) yesterday and it felt really solid.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks for the encouraging words Cooter and Highluxury.

on the topic of press, yesterday the guy using the rack before me was doing a strict press with separated,split legs, one leg to the front and one back.

it didn't seem wrong or bad, I just wondered where could he have learned to use that stance when pressing, never seen that before.

Pete Rock

has this happened to anyone? losing considerable strength on a MC because of making a 3.5 week pause?
I'd call that a month off, not really a pause, plus if you said it was compounded by an illness that is a little rougher on your body. When I don't lift for two weeks due to business trips or some other commitment I take 60 lbs off my heavy sets, so 315 squats go back to 255. If it feels that heavy now then you know it's probably too much to "re"start with. Six days of no heavy compound lifts is a significant amount of time off for me and I'd rather de-load to a safe point. If at one point you started with just the bar then it's not really much of a reset in that context.

sphinx

the piano man
I think everybody in this thread who can grow a beard already has one.

can there be a phsychological effect when see yourself "manlier" thanks to the beard and assume you can lift more because of it?

it's all BS, if you ask me, but I guess for some guys It means something.

I think everybody in this thread who can grow a beard already has one.

can there be a phsychological effect when see yourself "manlier" thanks to the beard and assume you can lift more because of it?

it's all BS, if you ask me, but I guess for some guys It means something.

Probably.

I don't grow the full-on beard, but I like shave leaving stubble behind and then let it grow out for a week or two before my next shaving-down-to-stubble. Means I don't have to waste time shaving too often, but also I like the stubble / short beard look on myself. Besides, based on my older brother I'll be wanting to shave my head clean by the time I'm 30, so I'll at least get to rock a killer beard whenever I want.

sphinx

the piano man
Probably.

I don't grow the full-on beard, but I like shave leaving stubble behind and then let it grow out for a week or two before my next shaving-down-to-stubble. Means I don't have to waste time shaving too often, but also I like the stubble / short beard look on myself. Besides, based on my older brother I'll be wanting to shave my head clean by the time I'm 30, so I'll at least get to rock a killer beard whenever I want.

the thing is, most of the strongest guys in the world, like strongman competition participants, olympic lifters, etc, don't have any facial hair. they're probably over the nonsense, lol.

but yeah it's cool to able to grow one. having the option is always good.

the thing is, most of the strongest guys in the world, like strongman competition participants, olympic lifters, etc, don't have any facial hair. they're probably over the nonsense, lol.

but yeah it's cool to able to grow one. having the option is always good.

Well, the psychological effect is pointless if you're already mentally 100% psyched up. I imagine most people in strongmans, the Olympics, and so forth have trained so hard to be mentally prepared that a beard won't make a difference. But, for JoeSchmoe like me, it probably helps. Or it doesn't, but at least I look cool while I'm struggling with baby weights!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Recently broke the 150 lb mark. Currently around 151/152, up about 10 pounds from when I began my bulk three months ago or so. 170, here I come baby!

Imm0rt4l

It'll come back, and relatively fast. The neuromuscular adaptation is strong in you. Believe.

Well, I've legitimately completed 5 months of SS according to my statistics!

22 weeks total!

Every major exercise in the SS program has meet a steady progress ( from day 1 to present):

Squat: 52,5 kg / 115 lbs -> 105 kg / 230 lbs
Bench press: 32,5 kg / 71 lbs -> 72,5 kg / 160 lbs
Deadlift: 62,5 kg / 135 lbs -> 112,5 kg -> 248 lbs
Overhead press: 25 kg / 55 lbs -> 50 kg / 110 lbs
Bent rows: 40 kg / 88 lbs - > 62,5 kg / 137 lbs
Power cleans: 27,5 kg / 60 lbs -> 50 kg / 110 lbs

I still can't believe I can bench 72,5 kg. I think I'm gonna go extactic when I reach 80 kg. That will be momumental.

100 kg bench press seems so close yet so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I've legitimately completed 5 months of SS according to my statistics!

22 weeks total!

Every major exercise in the SS program has meet a steady progress ( from day 1 to present):

Squat: 52,5 kg / 115 lbs -> 105 kg / 230 lbs
Bench press: 32,5 kg / 71 lbs -> 72,5 kg / 160 lbs
Deadlift: 62,5 kg / 135 lbs -> 112,5 kg -> 248 lbs
Overhead press: 25 kg / 55 lbs -> 50 kg / 110 lbs
Bent rows: 40 kg / 88 lbs - > 62,5 kg / 137 lbs
Power cleans: 27,5 kg / 60 lbs -> 50 kg / 110 lbs

I still can't believe I can bench 72,5 kg. I think I'm gonna go extactic when I reach 80 kg. That will be momumental.

100 kg bench press seems so close yet so far.

The fucking man. You've got it. Kicking ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom