• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Eh in Petries defense, according to strength calculators, an untrained novice of that size should be able to squat the bar.

Everyone is different and starts off in a different place. She *miiiiight* be able to do the bar for a 1RM, but we don't plan on finding out.

I don't see why a person that can physically execute a simple unloaded barbell squat should ever do a goblet squat...

Goblet squats are particularly great for those who do not have confidence or the mobility yet to squat full range of motion with a barbell. It is the easiest variation to learn proper squat mechanics, and therefore, can help someone progress faster once they take up the barbell because the correct movement patterns have already been ingrained.

However, of course you are right in saying that that guy's trainer does not sound very good.

After a 2,5 week break I'll be getting back into the groove on monday.

Bums me a little bit that I feel that I've lost some muscles though :-(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Here's what you do.

Tell him. No. Demand you want to do something like starting strength and he will help with form checks and to get your ass in the gym.

He will probably tell you it's unnecessary/pointless/bad for your knees or some other bullshit.

Tell him to shut the fuck up and you're paying him. 6 months is a really fucking long time to spin your wheels.

this is exactly what I did and it has been fantastic. I ordered a copy of SS to my PT and asked we do it. He makes sure my form develops, tracks progress, shoots videos and stretches me, and makes me do mobility stuff to assist with my lifts. Best of both worlds really

also, bench spot!

sphinx

the piano man
so a story:

my roomate has noticed that I go workout several times a week and he was inspired and wanted to give it a try. I am really excited as it is my chance to try myself as a "trainer" or a "coach". I already told him about the importance of free weights and I think I am putting him on the right track.

being skinny fat and untrained, I was amazed to see him OHP 30 kgs/66 lbs. 3 times, I was trying to correct form through every rep and he pulled through everything pretty nicely. he has potential and has no fear, that's good.

SS is not going to be a possibility though because he lacks the mindset, he doesn't seem to care about strenght or anything, he just wants to "be in shape", he liked what we did so maybe there's hope but I an not getting my hopes up. I was really concerned with hie safety so I always gave him less weight than he was actually capable of handling because if you've never ever done shoulder presses, you better see if your body can actually do the move.

it was pretty revealing to see how a complete newbie thinks, I've been on this for almost a year, but somehow I already forgot what is to struggle with the simplest of things and I've noticed how my mindset is now completely different from back then. I think this is what got petrie banned, I didn't find that comment that insulting but it certainly was out of touch with the world outside of the bro/male strenght culture.

in a sense, it was very reassuring going with my roommate because he was in awe as I did most of my stuff, 5x3 97 lbs ohp for example, I am a lot smaller than him and he told me "holy shit, how did you get there? for your size, you have to be damn strong to pull that off ". I have more ambitions than that, but it's nice to see an outsider comment on what I am doing.

lol, he couldn't believe his eyes when I was doing handstand push-ups for a shoulder warm-up :D, my gym buddies always tell me "yeah, that circus move of yours" I always laugh, I tell them "you mad?" haha

I think squats are my favorite compound movement.

#teamsquat, *brofist

SeanR1221

It seems weird to me to not be able to do just the bar in anything. I guess Body Pump really does build strength!

I'm sure that helped a lot. She was a completely untrained novice, unless you count those 2lb little pink weights in the stretching area.

Her OHP still isn't much above the bar. I wanna say it's at 50 or so.

Everyone is different and starts off in a different place. She *miiiiight* be able to do the bar for a 1RM, but we don't plan on finding out.

I acknowledge everyone is different, but at the same time she should be able to work up to the bar pretty quickly. Once her air squat form is down, even adding 5lbs instead of 10lbs a session would get her there quickly.

Side note

I noticed in the other thread you mentioned "she can't even come close to doing the bar."

As someone who also trains with their SO I see this as pretty negative. My wife and I are comstantly pushing each other further, epaecially on 5/3/1. I don't know, maybe it was the wording but it just sounded negative to me, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

It seems weird to me to not be able to do just the bar in anything. I guess Body Pump really does build strength!

Yeah, there can be huge differences in people's starting strength. When I was in high school and 17 years old, we once tested our max bench in our gym class and there were a couple of dudes that struggled with the bar only. Can't remember if they failed the bar but their max lifts were no more than 55 lb. It was quite weird that almost grown men couldn't press the bar. I think I benched around 170lb but I had already trained a few years back then. On the other hand, one of my friends who has always been super strong, benched around 175lb the first time he went to the gym and I think he was around 13 or 14 then. He was literally twice as strong as the rest of us.

giga

Seems you have some conflicting goals here.

You want to lose fat, but also gain muscle. You need a caloric surplus to gain muscle. If you're a new trainee you can eek out some beginner gains on maintenance and even a below.

But if you want pack on some quality muscle you need to get on a caloric surplus.

Think about it. If you add 10 pounds of muscle, heck even 20 pounds of muscle, which is common for male beginners, you will look very different, for the better even if you're carrying some fat. You can always cut later. I'm not talking about just go nuts and eat like shit, but a 500 calories surplus while staying away from stuff like HFCS and eating enough protein will pack some nice muscle, especially if you're doing one of the beginner programs.

If you really want to lose that flab, you can do that as well, but I would alter your goals to focus more on fat loss than muscle gain.

Can't really add muscle and lose fat at the same time unless you're a completely untrained beginner. Building muscle needs food. You'll be happier in the long run if you don't stress out about the bit of flab at first and add some muscle, probably.

What they said, I wouldn't worry with cutting until you got to the 200+ pound mark, but that's my personal choice. I would even GOMAD for the first 15 pounds. Lose the fat later
Fantastic, thanks guys. Yeah, the little bit of fat on the waist isn't that big of a concern as much as weight gain right now. I'll make sure to follow the diet regimen in the OP.

Mr.City

Yeah, there can be huge differences in people's starting strength. When I was in high school and 17 years old, we once tested our max bench in our gym class and there were a couple of dudes that struggled with the bar only. Can't remember if they failed the bar but their max lifts were no more than 55 lb. It was quite weird that almost grown men couldn't press the bar. I think I benched around 170lb but I had already trained a few years back then. On the other hand, one of my friends who has always been super strong, benched around 175lb the first time he went to the gym and I think he was around 13 or 14 then. He was literally twice as strong as the rest of us.

On the flip side, there's rumor that a famous powerlifting squatted 400 lbs his first time in the gym. There's all kinds.

entremet

Anyone follow TheTigerFitness on Youtube?

Marc has blown up! Wow.

I know he's juicing, but still heck of an impressive physique.

Noema

On the flip side, there's rumor that a famous powerlifting squatted 400 lbs his first time in the gym. There's all kinds.

Wasn't that Andy Bolton?

I read somewhere that Pat Mendez (an olympic lifter) squatted 150kg the first time he tried.

tumblr_mqawerin7o1symmvdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqax3p4DKo1symmvdo1_1280.jpg

Soooo...Rippetoe says squat looking down. SYTYCS guy says look up. Who's right?

SYTYCS teach powerlifting high-bar technique. Looking up is good for that technique. Rippetoe teaches low bar general strength training techinque. In that sense looking down is better.

Unless you are competing, look down

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, we do need fat acceptance.

Be yourself, I don't care what you look like. Just don't lie to yourself about effort if you want to change. Embrace who you are and yknow what? If you'll be happier eating cupcakes then GO EAT THEM, right on. But don't say you want to lose it without being prepared to sacrifice.

Vol5

It really doesn't matter, imho.

It's the kind of squabbling over details that Arnold warned about.

Looking down certainly helps me. As soon as I lift my head I'm losing power on the way up. I changed this single item on my squat form and I sailed though a 5x5 90Kg after I plateaued for a week.

I also don't have to look at my fat, silly, red face on the way up, so that's a bonus!

I agree, we do need fat acceptance.

Be yourself, I don't care what you look like. Just don't lie to yourself about effort if you want to change. Embrace who you are and yknow what? If you'll be happier eating cupcakes then GO EAT THEM, right on. But don't say you want to lose it without being prepared to sacrifice.

Yep I got a friend who will every once in a while complain that he's fat and would like to lose weight but if you give him any advice like saying something about not drinking soda with every meal or eating a box of Cheese-it's for lunch then he just spits venom back. You should never complain about it if your not even willingly to make the smallest sacrifices to try and change things

Teggy

It really doesn't matter, imho.

It's the kind of squabbling over details that Arnold warned about.

SYTYCS teach powerlifting high-bar technique. Looking up is good for that technique. Rippetoe teaches low bar general strength training techinque. In that sense looking down is better.

Unless you are competing, look down

Their bench technique is also quite different, but as you say does look geared toward powerlifting.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I am fine with people being who they are, if they want to eat rather than be fit, their choice. Personally I feel a million times better fitter than when I was fat. Not just the confidence, but not running out of breathe, not feeling my belly against things, feeling tight.

What I don't get is their entited desire to be viewed as 'beautiful' or 'hot'.

Nope. That's my choice entirely.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ok my fitgaf deadlifting bros. I got 385 up twice before my grip just wasn't having it. What do I need to do so my grip isn't limiting me. Straps? My gym doesn't allow chalk.

Imm0rt4l

Ok my fitgaf deadlifting bros. I got 385 up twice before my grip just wasn't having it. What do I need to do so my grip isn't limiting me. Straps? My gym doesn't allow chalk.

My gym doesn't allow chalk, but I use it anyways discreetly. Trainers have even seen me with white on my hands and never said anything, I keep it a block of the stuff in a grocery bag. You could use straps I suppose, I don't care for them. I've become so reliant on chalk that if I forget to bring it, I'd rather not even deadlift because I can't do my working sets. You could also look into just using liquid chalk, though I hear it's expensive.

This is when I was deadlifting in the day, now I seem to have to deadlift at night because they won't allow me to do heavy deads.

Straps sounds like a good idea, gave them a go and it felt solid.
So I'll be using them in the future once I've transitioned to reverse-grip and even that gives out on me.

deadbeef

Use chalk anyway. I keep it in a small container, discreetly chalk up for my last set, and then clean up / wipe the bar down when I'm done. Surely if you did that nobody would say anything right?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well ok. Chalk it is then. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Oh, and I went to Five Guys for the first time today. Solid burger but no milkshakes? Huh?!?! What kind of burger joint doesn't have milkshakes? Major letdown.

sphinx

the piano man
if there any app or internetsite that provides you with a menu if you input the calories you need and how you want to split your macros?

I have failed so far to come up with a menu that will net me 2900 calories a day without having to eat all sort of candy, sugars, cakes and stuff that I'd normally don't want to eat...

if there any app or internetsite that provides you with a menu if you input the calories you need and how you want to split your macros?

I have failed so far to come up with a menu that will net me 2900 calories a day without having to eat all sort of candy, sugars, cakes and stuff that I'd normally don't want to eat...

Calorie-dense foods that aren't sugar filled:

Cheese
Nuts
Double cream
Butter
Olive oil
Coconut oil

That's just a start though, just throw in wholewheat pasta/rice/ezekiel bread as well.

sphinx

the piano man
Calorie-dense foods that aren't sugar filled:

Cheese
Nuts
Double cream
Butter
Olive oil
Coconut oil

That's just a start though, just throw in wholewheat pasta/rice/ezekiel bread as well.

hey Squiddy, why does white bread has a bad reputation? it seems to be a good source of easy carbs, but apparently I should avoid it.. maybe it's ignorance/broscience, don't know.

what would be a list of good sources for carbs on a clean bulk?

hey Squiddy, why does white bread has a bad reputation? it seems to be a good source of easy carbs, but apparently I should avoid it.. maybe it's ignorance/broscience, don't know.

what would be a list of good sources for carbs on a clean bulk?

It's really just a case of white bread having less fiber and complex carbs than wholewheat/brown bread. It also usually has more sugar than the latter, so unless it's some sort of cheat day/meal you might as well just go with the healthier bread variety (taste-wise, I think it's just as good).

I haven't really found a list of clean bulk appropriate foods on the internets, but that's because the food itself doesn't really matter so long as you get your fibers, your fatty acids, your proteins, your amino acids, your various micronutrients, your complex carbs, and your healthy fats.

Just stick with green vegetables (Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Brusselsprouts), wholegrain carbs (Brown/Wild rise, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta), 2-3 servings of fruit (not juice, and preferably a fruit with a good fiber content like Apple) a day, good meats (minimal amount of red meat, plenty of fish that doesn't contain heavy metals, turkey rather than chicken if possible), eggs, legumes (your various beans), quinoa, yams/sweet potatoes, bison meat, nuts, and dairy products up the whazoo (full fat milk, cheese, fat butter, etc)

So, for example:

Oat porridge with slices of banana and coffee (paleo style if you so wish) for breakfast. No added sugar, or honey, or syrups of any kind.

Then a protein shake, made with full fat milk.

Simple lunch consisting of turkey meat in a wholewheat wrap, lettuce, shreded carrots, tomatoes, and full-fat mayo.

Nuts&Fruits before and after your work-out.

Dinner consisting of Tilapia fish, with some oven roasted broccoli, and maybe some sweet potatoes.

Maybe top it off with a yoghurt+whey protein dessert.

Run the above into Myfitnesspal, and I think it'll be enough to hit 2900 calories - with great macros.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well ok. Chalk it is then. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Oh, and I went to Five Guys for the first time today. Solid burger but no milkshakes? Huh?!?! What kind of burger joint doesn't have milkshakes? Major letdown.

Give liquid chalk a go. Most places that object to dry chalk are fine with liquid as it's not as messy. You can get a small enough bottle to carry in your pocket, the brand is Liquid Grip I think, for climbers originally.

sphinx

the piano man
I t's really just a case of white bread having less fiber and complex carbs than wholewheat/brown bread. It also usually has more sugar than the latter, so unless it's some sort of cheat day/meal you might as well just go with the healthier bread variety (taste-wise, I think it's just as good).

I haven't really found a list of clean bulk appropriate foods on the internets, but that's because the food itself doesn't really matter so long as you get your fibers, your fatty acids, your proteins, your amino acids, your various micronutrients, your complex carbs, and your healthy fats.

Just stick with green vegetables (Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Brusselsprouts), wholegrain carbs (Brown/Wild rise, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta), 2-3 servings of fruit (not juice, and preferably a fruit with a good fiber content like Apple) a day, good meats (minimal amount of red meat, plenty of fish that doesn't contain heavy metals, turkey rather than chicken if possible), eggs, legumes (your various beans), nuts, and dairy products up the whazoo (full fat milk, cheese, fat butter, etc)

So, example meal, just by picking from the above stuff:

Oat porridge with slices of banana and coffee (paleo style if you so wish) for breakfast. No added sugar, or honey, or syrups of any kind.

Then a protein shake, made with full fat milk.

Simple lunch consisting of turkey meat in a wholewheat wrap, lettuce, shreded carrots, tomatoes, and full-fat mayo.

Nuts&Fruits before and after your work-out.

Dinner consisting of Tilapia fish, with some oven roasted broccoli, and maybe some sweet potatoes.

Maybe top it off with a yoghurt+whey protein dessert.

and I decide the portions according to my needs right?

cool, I'll look for all the stuff in my store and see how it goes.

and why should I avoid red meat?? that's a new one, i thought all meat was good, no matter where it came from.

and I decide the portions according to my needs right?

cool, I'll look for all the stuff in my store and see how it goes.

and why should I avoid red meat?? that's a new one, i thought all meat was good, no matter where it came from.

Plenty of people will tell you that red meat is just fine, and it probably is, but there are a couple of studies linking over-consumption of red meat (More than twice a week) to various illnesses.

There are of course other studies indicating otherwise, so you can eat your red meat if you want without worrying.

Variation is the spice of life though, and it's probably a good idea to not overconsume anything.

SeanR1221

So I went back to that store and they had a return of that cordless massager for 25% off so it was only 180.00. That's like 2.5 massages so I figured I could give it a trial run and see if I like it.

Better wipe it down incase someone rubbed their balls down.

Madness

" Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert. There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when I serve the cake. No, really, I couldn’t she says, and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone who is pressing a fork into that first tender layer looks at the person who declined the plate, and they all think, That person is better than I am. That person has discipline. But that isn’t a person with discipline; that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy . A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You don’t eat the whole cake. You don’t eat a cake every day of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace that’s safe, uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what’s served on the happiest days of your life. This is a story of how my life was saved by cake , so, of course, if sides are to be taken, I will always take the side of cake.”

*sigh*

Visceir

I've been using sunflower seeds (~100 g) to cover ~500 - 800 kcal of my daily calories. I just pour them in a cup and dip them in my mouth inbetween meals, really easy to eat. My store sells them already cleaned and they are extremely cheap.

For lunch I usually have pasta which is also an easy (and cheap) 700 - 800 kcal.

Had a really good day in the gym today, benched 3x5 67.5 kg (148 lbs) and really looking forward to the next one 70 kg (154 lbs), it has been one of my goals for a while now.

Still need to figure out a good bicep exercises routine for myself. I feel like I should be doing more.

Teggy

OK, I'm looking for a bit of input on diet. Some basics:

Height: 5' 11'' (5' 10.5'' if we're being technical)
Weight: 186 today

I have been going to the gym "seriously" for about 3 months. I started with a circuit routine to get started and have just switched to a beginner routine that is all compound barbell moves (with the exception of calf raises). I go three times a week and on 2 or 3 off days will be doing an abs/foam roller routine. I don't do any dedicated cardio but do brisk walks with my dogs (there are hills and my heart rate is up) from between 1.5-3 miles per day.

My initial goal was really just to get back in decent shape. My weight has moved around a lot the last 15 years or so, but never to extremes. I dropped to around 160 when I had a bout of thyroiditis a few years back and my worst was 192 this past March. Generally I sat around 175-185. When I got to the top, I would start exercising, and then I would eventually lose interest, rinse, repeat. This time around my weight loss has been a little odd. I dropped pretty quickly from 192 to around 185 and then really stalled, really since May. However, I definitely lost a lot of fat because my shorts and pants that used to fit right or barely fit now hang off me. So I'm guessing I traded some fat for muscle.

I have had some nice gains in the gym and now I am kind of torn - keep trying to put on more muscle or finally get rid of the soft spots on my sides. I am leaning toward dropping the fat because I figure I will still put on some muscle being a beginner, and it will be a lot easier to get into a smart diet routine if I am 14-16% bodyfat than if I keep pushing upwards from 22%.

I've plugged my numbers into both into the IFCalc and the IIFYM calculator and they came up pretty similar. IIFYM seems more straightforward, so I think I will go with that. Have people found that it is pretty accurate? Right now it is telling me to go with 2097 calories. Also, I chose 3 times per week as exercise level? What have other people used with success?

I've just updated the OP with Petrie's method of approaching activity levels.

You pick a sedentary activity level, and then just add the exercises you do to your food diary site (Myfitnesspal has this, others probably does to) to find out how many calories you've burnt on your work-out days which will add extra calories for you to consume on those very days.

entremet

Looking at old pics. Early 20s versus early 30s.

I haven't been lifting that long and missed my 20s, which I regret. But man this stuff works. I was super skinny back then.

OK, I'm looking for a bit of input on diet. Some basics:

Height: 5' 11'' (5' 10.5'' if we're being technical)
Weight: 186 today

I have been going to the gym "seriously" for about 3 months. I started with a circuit routine to get started and have just switched to a beginner routine that is all compound barbell moves (with the exception of calf raises). I go three times a week and on 2 or 3 off days will be doing an abs/foam roller routine. I don't do any dedicated cardio but do brisk walks with my dogs (there are hills and my heart rate is up) from between 1.5-3 miles per day.

My initial goal was really just to get back in decent shape. My weight has moved around a lot the last 15 years or so, but never to extremes. I dropped to around 160 when I had a bout of thyroiditis a few years back and my worst was 192 this past March. Generally I sat around 175-185. When I got to the top, I would start exercising, and then I would eventually lose interest, rinse, repeat. This time around my weight loss has been a little odd. I dropped pretty quickly from 192 to around 185 and then really stalled, really since May. However, I definitely lost a lot of fat because my shorts and pants that used to fit right or barely fit now hang off me. So I'm guessing I traded some fat for muscle.

I have had some nice gains in the gym and now I am kind of torn - keep trying to put on more muscle or finally get rid of the soft spots on my sides. I am leaning toward dropping the fat because I figure I will still put on some muscle being a beginner, and it will be a lot easier to get into a smart diet routine if I am 14-16% bodyfat than if I keep pushing upwards from 22%.

I've plugged my numbers into both into the IFCalc and the IIFYM calculator and they came up pretty similar. IIFYM seems more straightforward, so I think I will go with that. Have people found that it is pretty accurate? Right now it is telling me to go with 2097 calories. Also, I chose 3 times per week as exercise level? What have other people used with success?

I would exhaust my n00b gains before cutting. What's your bf guesstimate right now?

I've just updated the OP with Petrie's method of approaching activity levels.

You pick a sedentary activity level, and then just add the exercises you do to your food diary site (Myfitnesspal has this, others probably does to) to find out how many calories you've burnt on your work-out days which will add extra calories for you to consume on those very days.

What's the guesstimation for a squat workout calorie expenditure? Has anyone measured it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom