• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

But don't you feel like MFP way underestimates calories burned strength training?

My heart rate monitor estimate was way higher than the default calories burned for an hour of strength training. I think MFP puts you in for like 200 calories burned in an hour of lifting.

You can always edit it if you know more accurate numbers.

But don't you feel like MFP way underestimates calories burned strength training?

My heart rate monitor estimate was way higher than the default calories burned for an hour of strength training. I think MFP puts you in for like 200 calories burned in an hour of lifting.

When cutting, I think it's best to underestimate rather than overestimate, as many people get frustrated from losing weight too slowly rather than too fast (in the latter case, you just up the calories you consume).

SeanR1221

You can always edit it if you know more accurate numbers.

True

When cutting, I think it's best to underestimate rather than overestimate, as many people get frustrated from losing weight too slowly rather than too fast (in the latter case, you just up the calories you consume).

I agree but an hour of strength training shouldn't be the same calories burned as 15 minute on the elliptical ;)

andylsun

As others have already said, nice work on making a commitment and sticking to it, it definitely sounds like you've made great progress. That said, the bolded (as well as your references to "various routines" and "all the other gear") is setting off alarm bells for me. Could you describe what a typical strength session entails for you?

I've a trainer who started me on lighter weights and machines. Chest press, DB rows, goblet squats, leg curls, kettle ball swings , lat pulldowns, shoulder and chest exercises, calf lifts etc.

Got about 6 different routines of about 7 different exercises each of which is usually 3x12.

Last week he started to introduce muscle building via heavier stuff using rest-pause. Going to work that in slowly over the next few weeks.

Petrie

Banned

I just change them if I need to. You can alter it to give you 400 or 600 or w/e you like when you strength train. Give it a try.

This is a change I'll make myself when I begin to bulk. On a cut I go with 250 as I'd rather slightly underestimate.

SeanR1221

I just change them if I need to. You can alter it to give you 400 or 600 or w/e you like when you strength train. Give it a try.

This is a change I'll make myself when I begin to bulk. On a cut I go with 250 as I'd rather slightly underestimate.

Good point. Ill have to wear my heart rate monitor during each of my workouts and get an average of what each session burns.

Oh in other news I leg pressed and curled today with no pain. Super light weight but still!

rando14

Good point. Ill have to wear my heart rate monitor during each of my workouts and get an average of what each session burns.

Oh in other news I leg pressed and curled today with no pain. Super light weight but still!

Wait why were you curling with pain? I thought you just had some lower back tightness

Petrie

Banned

What monitor do you use? That's something I've considered investing in. I keep waiting for a catch-all fitbit like device that does that as well.

i fucking love data.

I've a trainer who started me on lighter weights and machines. Chest press, DB rows, goblet squats, leg curls, kettle ball swings , lat pulldowns, shoulder and chest exercises, calf lifts etc.

Got about 6 different routines of about7 different exercises each of which is usually 3x12.

Last week he started to introduce muscle building via heavier stuff using rest-pause. Going to work that in slowly over the next few weeks.

Jesus... who will do the honors?

Zoe

What monitor do you use? That's something I've considered investing in. I keep waiting for a catch-all fitbit like device that does that as well.

i fucking love data.

He has a fancy one, but if you want something you don't really have to save for, I have a Polar FT7.

Petrie

Banned
I'd like to know if that seems odd. I'm a beginner and guided by my trainer.

Your trainer is setting you up for failure. What you're doing is a very poor program for strength and definitely poor for a beginner. He's making you reliant on him and keeping your progress slow so you keep paying him. Ditch the trainer and read the OP.

If your trainer has you on a bunch of different routines he's making stuff unnecessarily complicated to make you keep coming back to him. If your goals are to become bigger/stronger/fitter your best bet is to be doing full range-of-motion compound barbell exercises for sets of five, like the routine described in the OP. It's what most people here did/are doing to become bigger and stronger. I suggest you read the OP and come back with more specific questions.

despire

What the others said. It's clear that your trainer is no good.

Having six different routines is just stupid. You should have one routine and you should stick with it. Your trainer is just trying to milk your money by making you reliant on him.

TheJerit

Got about 6 different routines of about 7 different exercises each of which is usually 3x12.

GOTTA JUSTIFY DAT NASM

Generally, unless you have specific injuries that prevent you from doing them, compound lifts with free weights are more effective for basically every health and fitness goal.

More advanced strength training programs do use a variety of moves as secondary things but are still based around compount lifts (squat, bench, dealift, shoulder press, etc). Beginner programs have overwhelmingly simple guidelines for what lifts to do and what pace to attempt to progress at.

Generally, the only argument in favor of machines over free weights as central element of strength training for the average person is the 1000 variations on "I find free weights intimidating."

Another popular one is "I don't want to get big/huge/bulky," which implies that it's possible to get very muscular without very dedicated training, and that's not true- competitive powerlifers are generally very large because they eat a goddamn massive amount, while professional bodybuilders, who are absurdly massive and aesthetically unappealing to many, get that way because of drugs. And besides,"toning" isn't actually a real thing as far as human anatomy goes, it's an appearance goal, and can be done regardless of what you are training with.

Trainers over-complicate things because they think they are giving people what they want, when far simpler programs would be more effective if freeweights didn't make people lose their minds.

sphinx

the piano man
just came back from a nice shoulder session, OHP at 42.5 kgs/93 lbs this time 5x3 with ease. Next time is 45 kgs /100 lbs. omg, I am nearing intermediate level, I am trilled. The thing is I have to record a video of my all of my OHP PRs, I suspect I am arching my back. will do it next time.

I know you don't want to hear this: but you're overthinking it. At your level you truly don't need to concern yourself with less fat on rest days and other micromanaging. You'll drive yourself crazy with this stuff.

no, it's fine I want to hear what I have to hear :)

I will go 50/50 carbs/fat in rest days and 75/25 in workout days. Total calories will be 2178 in rest days and 2905 in workout days, that is a lot... will need your help guys to decide what to eat but that's a topic for another day.

you might be wondering by you should pay attention to a bunch of internet forum users instead of your paid trainer but answer the following questions.

If you have so many different programs/routines, how is it possible to track progress?
how can you know whether you are getting stronger? is your trainer at least concerned with the weight you lift per session? in short, does he give a damn???? or does he have dozens of routines like pokemons cards and he pitches one of his liking depending on his mood and then goes to chat with friends and coworkers while you do your thing?

LATERAL DELTOIDS, I COMMAND YOU TO GROW

ahhh like in a RPG, I wished we could go to a magic store and buy the spell "swole" or "strenght" and use it on any given body part, lol but alas, we have to do countless battles and grind slowly for years for it.

shogun beat one damn hard final boss on his own, with his OHP video.

I am going to beat some minor miniboss on my next 200 lbs squat next week.

it's gonna feel REAL GOOD, sho'mon.. (chaaange) hahahah

So i was wondering while i used to partake in the noxplode pre workout supplement, and actually had a good experience with it, I was wondering if there are any good supplements that help with weightloss. Not just ones that are gimmicks and I do have a very good diet, but i'm looking for proven aids to weightloss. I'd appreciate any info given..

Imm0rt4l

Everyday for the past week I've had someone remark on my physique. Feels good, i dont usually grt that kind of attention. Yesterday postworkout, I hit up a grocery store to get some yogurt and this big dude asked if I train. He seemed serious so I didnt reply with 'I do yoga' and just said yea. He asked how much I charge. I guess I misunderstood and told him as much. Then he lamented on missing his bus which he had no intention of trying to catch despite not being far off. It got me kind of wondering what it would be like as a trainer and trying to get someone from shit to fit. I honestly think it would be a shit job. That is if the clientele isn't willing to put in the work.

Anyways I think the attention is from v-necks.

andylsun

Thanks very much for spelling out the concerns with the programme.

My plan is to do 6 months with the trainer to get comfortable with all the gym equipment then start using something like SS to build my own plan. I know trainers want to keep clients and for me who had never stepped into a gym before in his life it's been good having someone watching everything I do, making sure I do it safely and explain why I'm doing it and the benefits

Lurking here has given me a wider view of it too and I'll be asking for advice. Thanks

Petrie

Banned
Thanks very much for spelling out the concerns with the programme.

My plan is to do 6 months with the trainer to get comfortable with all the gym equipment then start using something like SS to build my own plan. I know trainers want to keep clients and for me who had never stepped into a gym before in his life it's been good having someone watching everything I do, making sure I do it safely and explain why I'm doing it and the benefits

Lurking here has given me a wider view of it too and I'll be asking for advice. Thanks

So you'd rather waste 6 months doing nothing and then start training?

That's what you're doing.

I say this with all sincerity: your trainer is wasting your time and money.

Your trusting someone who has no idea what he is doing to give you this info. If he knew what you should be doing and why, he wouldn't have you doing what you are.

andylsun

So you'd rather waste 6 months doing nothing and then start training?

That's what you're doing.

I say this with all sincerity: your trainer is wasting your time and money.

Your trusting someone who has no idea what he is doing to give you this info. If he knew what you should be doing and why, he wouldn't have you doing what you are.

I have a six month block of training sessions (fixed number) so will use them up and then work on my own with guides like the beginners section and perhaps starting strength.

I do take the point that its unnecessarily complicated and I agree there's no real way to measure progression. On some of the routines I've been repeating each week I am able to lift more as the weeks go by, but it doesn't have the focus on progression that I see people talk about here.

The one thing it has done is introduce me to the world of strength training and given me the confidence that I can build on the gains from here. That for me was worth getting the trainer.

SeanR1221

Wait why were you curling with pain? I thought you just had some lower back tightness

Leg curling :p

i fucking love data.

I'll have to check the brand for you. It's my neighbors and when he got it, it cost 500.00 :-x

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives that have blue tooth and link up with your phone.

sphinx

the piano man
I have a six month block of training sessions (fixed number) so will use them up and then work on my own with guides like the beginners section and perhaps starting strength.

I do take the point that its unnecessarily complicated and I agree there's no real way to measure progression. On some of the routines I've been repeating each week I am able to lift more as the weeks go by, but it doesn't have the focus on progression that I see people talk about here.

The one thing it has done is introduce me to the world of strength training and given me the confidence that I can build on the gains from here. That for me was worth getting the trainer.

I understand, but man.... six long months :-/.

that's a lot of time.

why don't you tell him what you want? show him a beginner's program from the OT here and tell him you WANT to do it and he should just supervise and cheer you up and check form.

you are paying, he shall do what you want.

What's done is done.
Now that you have him you could actually use him as a spotter and form guide for one of the beginner's program in the OP. They're really not something you need to ease yourself into over the course of months - they are designed for complete beginners

SeanR1221

Here's what you do.

Tell him. No. Demand you want to do something like starting strength and he will help with form checks and to get your ass in the gym.

He will probably tell you it's unnecessary/pointless/bad for your knees or some other bullshit.

Tell him to shut the fuck up and you're paying him. 6 months is a really fucking long time to spin your wheels.

Bought!

Old man Coots looking awesome!

; )

What type of rows are you doing?
Just pain Jane BB rows. But I need a belt in general and just prefer having one on when my lower back is involved with any heavy lift.

Shogun asked me to recommend either the Economy belt Sean posted about, or if you have the money the one he is using now:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=5653
Oh damn. Am I alright with the Inzer belt at least?

Exis

I have been trying intermittent fasting, and today I did 24 hours instead of 16/8. I was a good bit hungry in a few places, and wussed out halfway through my yoga routine.. I'll see if there is any impact after I lift tomorrow but unless there is huge results I will prolly stick to 16/8. A 24 hour fast works for playing video games, I'm not sure I would want to drive around and do stuff during it.

Petrie

Banned

What he has you doing really isn't strength training.

That's the last I'll interject.

Bought!

I'd think so. Looks to be of similar makeup and quality based on GAF impressions.

I have been trying intermittent fasting, and today I did 24 hours instead of 16/8. I was a good bit hungry in a few places, and wussed out halfway through my yoga routine.. I'll see if there is any impact after I lift tomorrow but unless there is huge results I will prolly stick to 16/8. A 24 hour fast works for playing video games, I'm not sure I would want to drive around and do stuff during it.

I tried one a week ago and it felt really good (for me) to not have to worry about eating and counting macros for just one day. I only did one hour of vinyasa yoga though, so I don't know how an actual workout would go. Working did suck, I work at a breakfast joint. A full fast sounds like a good idea for a lazy day off once a month or something similar.

SeanR1221

Bought!

Just pain Jane BB rows. But I need a belt in general and just prefer having one on when my lower back is involved with any heavy lift.

Inzer was the belt of choice at the powerlifting meet I went to. Definitely a quality belt.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Its been a long time since I last stopped in here. I used the GAF fitness thread back in '09 to help me get educated with lifting and haven't stopped since. A year ago I fell heavily into power lifting to compete in natural PL competitions.

I was curious, are any of you into power lifting here? Do you train alone, or with a team? I'm just a novice PLer right now, but it would be great to see some fellow GAF power lifters to talk shop with.

andylsun

What he has you doing really isn't strength training.

That's the last I'll interject.

I appreciate all the comments about what I've been doing - it's been helpful to get everyone's take on it.

I do have trouble with the basic terminology so perhaps strength training isn't the right phrase. I will talk to him about where the programme is going and then when I strike out on my own will follow one of the plans that has been discussed here.

I'm in it for the long term, and it's something I want to make a permanent part of my life.

Wouldn't IF potentially cause your stomach pouch to expand to such a degree that it might affect your appetite should you return to a regular diet?

TheJerit

I appreciate all the comments about what I've been doing - it's been helpful to get everyone's take on it.

I do have trouble with the basic terminology so perhaps strength training isn't the right phrase. I will talk to him about where the programme is going and then when I strike out on my own will follow one of the plans that has been discussed here.

I'm in it for the long term, and it's something I want to make a permanent part of my life.

The good thing with Starting Strength is that you won't need to know tons of terminology.

Here's the Introduction/Begginer's Guide:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

And here's the accompanying Instructional Videos for each of the exercises:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Video

That's about all you need to start on your merry way. What we in here are trying to tell you is that this is ideal for someone such as yourself and you don't have to wait 6 months before you feel comfortable to get going. Plus the gains/results you'll get almost immediately from this program will keep you motivated. That is especially helpful for someone who has never had the gym heavily into their life/schedule.

rando14

Wouldn't IF potentially cause your stomach pouch to expand to such a degree that it might affect your appetite should you return to a regular diet?

That doesnt sound likely. My guess is if that happens it'd be due to eating a lot over a long period of time (aka being chronically obese) but I could be wrong

TheJerit

I don't think so. its up to you on the frequency of how you eat. you have an 8 hour window with leangains. I typically like to try to stick to 6, but I'm a fat fuck and I'm trying everything to keep the progress going. Just make sure you get in your macros and you're golden.

I guess if you try to scarf all of your day's macros into a 3-4 hour window every day, then maybe?? although I would think that would also depend on what your food/meals consist of.

TheJerit

I will look through those links this week. Thanks!

Good man. Trust me when I say that people in here are really only out for your best interest. I'm fairly new to posting in the threads, especially compared to a lot of them, but I lurked for a good while and I've seen these guys consistently try to reach out. In fact a lot of them try to be tales of caution because they were in similar shoes as you were years ago and may have went down the hard road before they realized. Now is every recommendation perfect for everyone? No, but when it comes to newbies or people who have been out of the scene for awhile, the SS approach is tried and true.

abuC

Did my power day and it went great, I was a little down on strength on the DB bench but I haven't done it heavy in 2 weeks so I sort of expected that. Incline bench I went up to 335x4, shoulders I scaled back a bit (Used 90# DBs) since I did so much volume with them this week I don't want to push my luck. My right shoulder is much better but 17-20 sets in a week is a bit much for it. Deadlift & pendlay row were pretty much the same and squat was up by 5#.

Pretty much all of my other lifts were the same or went up very slightly which is really encouraging, and when I first got in the gym I felt like a damn spartan. I can't stress it enough, this diet is awesome, today I woke up looking lean and felt like a monster. Also, some kid waited for me to finish my set on bench to ask me the proper form on DB shrugs, the feels man the feels.

For next weeks carb load I'm going to take some creatine, I've never used it for more than 2 days before but only using it for a carb load makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom