• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Shit I have to leave mid workout... I only have my curls left but really have to be somewhere.

Is it possible that I could do the curls later, without messing up my whole schedule?

Iv'e been a big fan of doing deadlifts on leg day, right after my squat sets. I feel that if I did deads on back day I would be too sore from my leg day and not getting the best results.

Been doing 7 sets of both squats and deads. Been killin my leg sessions, which have become my favorite muscle to work

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Iv'e been a big fan of doing deadlifts on leg day, right after my squat sets. I feel that if I did deads on back day I would be too sore from my leg day and not getting the best results.

Been doing 7 sets of both squats and deads. Been killin my leg sessions, which have become my favorite muscle to work
If I did DLs after squatting my numbers would almost certainly decrease. More power to you!

Petrie

Banned
Shit I have to leave mid workout... I only have my curls left but really have to be somewhere.

Is it possible that I could do the curls later, without messing up my whole schedule?

It's curls, do them anytime. They're BS accessory work.

I only do curls once a week. How many hours after my workout should I wait?

Doesn't matter, as pointed out already.

Your biceps aren't really used to a great extent in the main compounds if you're worried about curling affecting your big lifts.

I wouldn't do something like triceps before a shoulder press or bench though, or a glute-ham raise before squats/deadlifts.

Cooter

I do not approve of all this biceps bashing! Second most important muscle closely behind middle left ab.

Samara

Ive noticed that my abs hurt. good I suppose, but my shins....Im doing too much?
This girl came in to fix my form. lol I was doing seated over head lift....behind my neck.

Cooter

Ran into a trainer I haven't talked to in a while. This guy knows his shit. He trains athletes for performance and strength. He just published a book actually. Showed him my 525 DL and he recommended I work one day a week at 50-60% of my max and focus on speed off the floor. So I did it today and I'm feeling good. I can feel a 3x bodyweight 555lb deadlift in my future!

ok after about 6 weeks I have my first failed rep when trying to dead lift 275. My grip just went out of the 5th rep. Do you guys think I should start using a mixed grip or should I try and hold out as long as I can without it. I also have very small hands and I can see this being a problem. You guys have any recommendations for increasing my grip strength?

Cooter

ok after about 6 weeks I have my first failed rep when trying so dead lift 275. My grip just went out of the 5th rep. Do you guys think I should start using a mixed grip or should I try and hold out as long as I can without it. I also have very small hands and I can see this being a problem. You guys have any recommendations for increasing my grip strength?

Chalk

Mixed grip it is then, honestly I'll be happy if I can just reach 300 by years end
If you really havent done mixed grip before....i bet you could probably lift 300 already with it. If your grip is slipping and is the limiting factor, it will seriously make that much of a difference.

So I've been looking at what I eat and need to eat on workout days.

I meet the protein macro, but I'm short on calories by 600, 70 grams of carbs and 40 grams of fat.

I know I could just drink more milk, but is there any reason I couldn't fill that up with something more akin to junk food (cause it's delicious)?

So fuck StrongLifts.

I did that shit all summer and did poorly, but my form improved immensely, with much less soreness in my knees, when I switched to a 3x5 routine. Still slow progress, as I simply don't eat as I should, but still, this is a much better beginner routine.

So I've been looking at what I eat and need to eat on workout days.

I meet the protein macro, but I'm short on calories by 600, 70 grams of carbs and 40 grams of fat.

I know I could just drink more milk, but is there any reason I couldn't fill that up with something more akin to junk food (cause it's delicious)?
Add sugar free hersheys and drink more milk ;)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Got my shit moved and a new place, we're officially split. Doing better now and gonna work 6 days a week to keep busy these next two weeks.

It's only been 1-2 days now but it's like I have a -newly single- sign on my chesticles? Catching all these women mirin hard. My fucking accountant an older but hot milf, I made the mistake of locking eyes for too long...she starts flirting and just being way too friendly. Maybe I never noticed it before...

Gonna get back on the gravy train soon...was down to a dehydratrd 183lbs....wasnt eating or sleeping. Fucking low bf though like I never had before.

This train doesn't stop

Noema

Mixed grip it is then, honestly I'll be happy if I can just reach 300 by years end

Make sure you reserve mixed grip for when you need it. Do all your warmup sets with a double overhand grip and use the mixed grip only for the heavy sets that require it. That way you'll grip will continue to develop.

abuC

I do curls like my life depends on it, my biceps will not grow without heavy direct work, I'll be all up in your squat rack curling and I dare anyone to say something.

I-hate-u

I do curls like my life depends on it, my biceps will not grow without heavy direct work, I'll be all up in your squat rack curling and I dare anyone to say something.

I do the same and my friends give me hell for it. Is it wrong that I think the Olympic bar is better for bicep development than regular skinny barebells?

abuC

I do the same and my friends give me hell for it. Is it wrong that I think the Olympic bar is better for bicep development than regular skinny barebells?

You're not wrong, I use the olympic bar only.

And tell your friends to kick rocks as you kiss your biceps.

despire

Starting to notice that my lifts are getting harder. Mainly the bench and the press.

I've been eating well and been doing GSLP again but my old sticking points are closing and I have this feeling that I'm not gonna get past them. Barbell's already feeling very heavy.

It's just ridiculous that I'm eating enough to get fatter but apparently not enough to progress in my lifts. It's always been like this. Maybe 3x5 just doesn't work for me? I mean, my lifts are still shit but progress is hard anyway. My best progress with the bench for example was made when I did a crazy amount of dips on the side (like 50-80 reps at bodyweight total per workout). I mean I was doing pretty good gains in my bench but they stopped as soon as I had to stop dips (due to them hurting my chest). Th correlation is pretty strong here.. Maybe I just need more total volume?

Make sure you reserve mixed grip for when you need it. Do all your warmup sets with a double overhand grip and use the mixed grip only for the heavy sets that require it. That way you'll grip will continue to develop.

was honestly about to come in here to ask this question, thanks for reading my mind

velociraptor

How many times a week do you do curls?

How many sets are you supposed to do for biceps per week to ensure growth?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How many times a week do you do curls?

How many sets are you supposed to do for biceps per week to ensure growth?

I do em every workout. High volume, lower weight than I -can- put up. I do sets of 10 until my arms feel like they're screaming. It's the one exercise that I don't track, and just do till I can't anymore.

Goat milk is pretty amazing.

Almost the same amount of protein as dairy milk, but less milk sugars and fat.
Great if you just need more protein in your macros.

What should I do when the assisted pull up bar is unusable for a while?

There are a number of things you could do. Negative pull ups (jump up and hold the chin above the bar for as long as possible), one legged supported pull ups. Chin ups if you can do them will also help build that pull up base.

Noema

Hey guys, look what my friend brought me from NYC:

yYw9pg3.jpg

Tried one yesterday and I was bit underwhelmed. It was too chewey, even if the taste was good.

Tried another one again this morning but I microwaved it for 20 seconds and it made a big difference. It actually sort of resembled cookie dough, if only for a few seconds. Then it hardened up as it cooled off and sort of turned into a crunchy cookie.

Shadybiz

Goddamn Fit Ghost!!

Went to the local high school track to do some HIIT. Stretched out for a few minutes, did a warmup lap around the track, and then on the second stride (SECOND STRIDE) of the sprint, I felt a muscle in my left thigh say "nope."

I did HIIT last week, and was fine, and I think I stretched even more today, so I don't know what the deal is. My wife the nurse says that from the pain I'm describing, I might have gotten lucky and just strained it. Ugh, hopefully I'll feel okay enough for leg day on Wednesday.

Noema

1's week, hit new PR, 165 on OHP. feelsgoodman.

Nice. Progress is slow with 531 but what I like about it is that PRs are almost guaranteed in the 531 week.

Hardest week for me is always the 5s week. If get my reps in that week I know that I'll probably get PRs at the end of the cycle.

ILoveBish

Nice. Progress is slow with 531 but what I like about it is that PRs are almost guaranteed in the 531 week.

Hardest week for me is always the 5s week. If get my reps in that week I know that I'll probably get PRs at the end of the cycle.

That is exactly the same for me. 5's week kills me, once i make it past that, its easy sailing.

Chocobro

I switched to a narrow HB squat stance with my feet about 10" apart. Squats felt great, but I felt a sharp pain in the left side of my right knee on my 4th rep of the last set; no pain for the other reps. I think that area is the vastus medialis?
Any guesses what might have caused the pain? Knees weren't pushed out enough?

Nelo Ice

Banned

Just finished my 5/3/1 week and I couldn't go past 5 reps on my last squat and OHP :(. Aside from that I got at least 6 on my deadlift and bench. Aside from that next week is deload but next month I should increase the upper body stuff by 5 and the lower body by 10 for 5 reps on strstd? Btw thanks again for answering my questions and for all the help.

Noema

Just finished my 5/3/1 week and I couldn't go past 5 reps on my last squat and OHP :(. Aside from that I got at least 6 on my deadlift and bench. Aside from that next week is deload but next month I should increase the upper body stuff by 5 and the lower body by 10 for 5 reps on strstd? Btw thanks again for answering my questions and for all the help.

Well, the last set of the 531 week is 1+, or AMRAP, so getting 5 reps on those is okay. As you progress through your cycles this number will decrease but you should keep going as long as you hit your minimum number of reps (5, 3 or 1 depending on the week)

As for the increases, you should add 10lb for lower body and 5lb for upper body to your training max., which is what you'll base your calculations for the next cycle off. It's a good idea to learn how to do the calculations yourself instead of relying on the website:

So for instance, if last cycle your TM on squat was 250lb, then it'll be 260lb for the next cycle, and it'll look like this:

5s week: 5x(260lb*0.65), 5x(260lb*0.75), 5+x(260lb*0.85)
3s week: 3x(260lb*0.7), 3x(260lb*0.8), 3+x(260lb*0.9)
531 week 5x(260lb*0.75), 3x(260lb*0.85), 1+x(260lb*0.95)
Deload week 5x(260lb*0.4), 5x(260lb*0.5), 5x(260lb*0.6)

If succesful you add 10lb to 260lb so your training max becomes 270lb, and so on and so forth.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well, the last set of the 531 week is 1+, or AMRAP, so getting 5 reps on those is okay. As you progress through your cycles this number will decrease but you should keep going as long as you hit your minimum number of reps.

As for the increases, you should add 10lb for lower body and 5lb for upper body to your training max., which is what you'll base your calculations for the next cycle off. It's a good idea to learn how to do the calculations yourself instead of relying on the website:

So for instance, if last cycle your TM on squat was 250lb, then it'll be 260lb for the next cycle, and it'll look like this:

5s week: 5x(260lb*0.65), 5x(260lb*0.75), 5+x(260lb*0.85)
3s week: 3x(260lb*0.7), 3x(260lb*0.8), 3+x(260lb*0.9)
531 week 5x(260lb*0.75), 3x(260lb*0.85), 1+x(260lb*0.95)
Deload week 5x(260lb*0.4), 5x(260lb*0.5), 5x(260lb*0.6)

If succesful you add 10lb to 260lb so your training max becomes 270lb, and so on and so forth.

Thanks, wasn't sure how to calculate the stuff myself. Wasn't sure what to do if the site didn't spit out the numbers for me lol.
On an unrelated note, it seems even my friends that I believe know what they're talking about avoid doing SS, 5/3/1, etc because of their very nature(increasingly heavy weights and compounds). Even if they know doing them is incredibly beneficial and works.
Also reading this curl talk yep I need add them into my routine lol. I noticeably look bigger and stronger to others now but not to me would so I definitely would not mind if it became more obvious I worked out haha.

Cooter

Thanks, wasn't sure how to calculate the stuff myself. Wasn't sure what to do if the site didn't spit out the numbers for me lol.
On an unrelated note, it seems even my friends that I believe know what they're talking about avoid doing SS, 5/3/1, etc because of their very nature(increasingly heavy weights and compounds). Even if they know doing them is incredibly beneficial and works.
Also reading this curl talk yep I need add them into my routine lol. I noticeably look bigger and stronger to others now but not to me would so I definitely not mind if it became more obvious I worked out haha.

You can do plenty of compounds and heavy weights without a popularized program.

Hell yeah you need to curl! I won't lie and say curling a BB with a plate and strict form doesn't feel amazing!

Noema

Curls help to prevent DYEL syndrome.

Sure, but you do need to follow some sort of progression to drive progress. The reason most people don't get anywhere is because they either just do the same thing over and over, or they just keep ADDing from one exercise to the other, i.e; fuckarounditis.

A program ensures that: you stick to the main compounds and you keep adding weight to the bar. That's why SS works so well, because it's almost like an algorithm that forces novices to learn the main lifts, and teaches them the importance of programming to drive progress instead of waiting for progress to come. Is SS the only route? No, but for a rank novice it's hard to beat.

The more advanced you are, the more you can 'play it by ear', but novices will almost always be better served by following a program.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Hell yeah you need to curl! I won't lie and say curling a BB with a plate and strict form doesn't feel amazing!

It seems they just don't like doing compound based routines or heavy weights in general.

Definitely throwing curls into my routine now!. Guessing sets of 10 at a lower weight. Still deciding if I should go with the ez bar, dumbbells or a barbell though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom