• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exis

Guys I hate to say it but I am bored with Stronglifts, I am at my third deload and everytime I get to 340 squat I can't do more and I'm kinda bored with it... I need a new program- Any suggestions?

I have 20 pounds of fat to lose, I'll get there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sharing this with Fit-GAF since I frequent this place so much..

Leaving my fiancee of 5 years, she doesn't know yet.

I'm not in love with her anymore and I've done terrible things.

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

Probably won't be back here for a while..

:'(

Damn man, sorry to hear that. Everything's gonna work out bud.

J. Bravo

Guys I hate to say it but I am bored with Stronglifts, I am at my third deload and everytime I get to 340 squat I can't do more and I'm kinda bored with it... I need a new program- Any suggestions?

I have 20 pounds of fat to lose, I'll get there.
340 squat. Nice. Definitely look into 5/3/1. That's the only intermediate program I know,but its working very well for me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh, I'd hate to ask this but is there any alternative to squats by any chance? I only ask cause the past few sessions I've had have left my neck in serious pain (it's the sharp kind, btw). I'm 99% sure I'm placing the bar in an incorrect position, and I'd rather not risk fucking up my spine.

So after not squatting for 3-4 weeks, I started up again and was able to get 5 reps @ 405. Didn't even really warm up for it. Just decided to go for it.

Not too bad. Not too bad at all.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I'd hate to ask this but is there any alternative to squats by any chance? I only ask cause the past few sessions I've had have left my neck in serious pain (it's the sharp kind, btw). I'm 99% sure I'm placing the bar in an incorrect position, and I'd rather not risk fucking up my spine.
The solution to this is to fix your form. Are you doing low-bar or high-bar squats?

abuC

Sharing this with Fit-GAF since I frequent this place so much..

Leaving my fiancee of 5 years, she doesn't know yet.

I'm not in love with her anymore and I've done terrible things.

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

Probably won't be back here for a while..

:'(

That sucks man, but better now than 20+ years from now when you're too old to get back out there.

And Shogun crazy lift, you're starting to look like like you may invade Ireland wielding a war axe. The viking presence is strong!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Some badass Arnold photos:

63406_579372168748109_418368408_n.jpg

548914_579372452081414_1338259399_n.jpg

485275_579373335414659_1927332239_n.jpg

553788_579373975414595_1126913945_n.jpg

524294_579374252081234_1806814062_n.jpg

388601_579374328747893_1425125130_n.jpg

561193_579376458747680_2136807269_n.jpg

526979_579377242080935_611818979_n.jpg

579738_579382348747091_1017106250_n.jpg

6806_579383182080341_1922319223_n.jpg

377628_562143420470984_908272545_n.jpg

540915_563839250301401_176145971_n.jpg

29021_554702391215087_1835758229_n.jpg

Much more here.

It's the shots where he isn't flexing that really put into perspective how huge he was.

Keyouta

Time for me to start getting fit again, Gaf, I've been way too lazy!

First off, I want a good shake to drink, possibly as a meal replacement. So it should have a lot of nutrients, vitamins and such. I've looked into Shakeology and at $120/month it seems a little steep. I'm not sure though, maybe the product is great and that's a good price. What are your guys' thoughts on it? Is there a better product at the same price or cheaper? If I were to make my own drink what should I put in it? I have creatine, protein powder at home. Omega 3-6-9 pills are something that I take everyday.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 159 lbs
Goal: 175 lbs
Current Training Schedule: Nothing, but I have beachbody workouts Insanity and T25 on hand. Going to start up T25 here soon.
Current Training Equipment Available: Agility Ladder, 15, 10, 5 lbs dumbbells, jumping rope, training band
Comments: I'm going to start T25, but I'd like to do some lifting and such while I'm at it. I'm not currently joined at a gym.

I've looked at the routines Squiddy put in the OP, novice, for Monday:

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Squats and bench presses I can do with the weights (do I need heavier weights to use in the bench presses?). What about the deadlifts? Should I switch it out for anything else? Also I have no door space to put up a pull-up bar. Anything I can do in place of the exercises that need more equipment than what I currently have?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I...don't know. D:
I think I am beginning to see the problem :p Okay, first step is to buy a copy of Starting Strength, if you haven't already. It's not the perfect be all and end all, but it's probably the best and most valuable book for someone starting out. The squat described in Starting Strength (and in the Mark Rippetoe video in the OP of this thread) is a low-bar squat, which means the bar sits lower on your back, across the backs of your shoulders. This is the squat form that keeps the weight farthest from your neck and (generally) allows you to use the most weight, but it can be uncomfortable/awkward for some. A high-bar squat is more like what Olympic weightlifters use to train; it involves placing the bar above the shoulders on the trapezius muscles and sitting down in between your legs as opposed sitting 'back' more in a low-bar squat.

I'd suggest reading/learning about these types of squats and practising your squat form unweighted (if you can, use a broomstick/curtain rod to mimic the barbell) to see which type of squat you're doing and which feels more comfortable. If you're hurting your neck it's likely that you have the bar placed too high on it, touching the exposed vertebrae, you're leaning over excessively on the ascent making the bar guillotine your neck, or both.

TopDreg

They are called Zercher Squats.
Ed Zercher was insane.

Haha... I would not feel safe leg pressing a barbell. And Zercher Squats look like they could tear your biceps.

Been having consistent shoulder problems while low bar squatting. Like, excruciating pain after finishing a set.
After about the 4th rep, one of my hands starts having to push the bar harder to keep the bar on my shoulders. I guess either the bar is slipping off my back or I'm not focusing on keeping a strong grip. Then the bar crushes my shoulder as I rack it. :| Does this indicate that the bar is not where it should be on my back initially? Arms not raised enough?

J. Bravo

Haha... I would not feel safe leg pressing a barbell. And Zercher Squats look like they could tear your biceps.

Been having consistent shoulder problems while low bar squatting. Like, excruciating pain after finishing a set.
After about the 4th rep, one of my hands starts having to push the bar harder to keep the bar on my shoulders. I guess either the bar is slipping off my back or I'm not focusing on keeping a strong grip. Then the bar crushes my shoulder as I rack it. :| Does this indicate that the bar is not where it should be on my back initially? Arms not raised enough?

If the bar is hard to keep on your shoulders, maybe you're not leaning forward enough.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
OK FitGAF I need to know if this is normal. I'm 30 and I've never been particularly fit, so I decided a while back that I would get in really good shape and take advantage while I'm still relatively young and in my prime for some things.

So today I started a strength training body weight circuit. Total beginner's workout: jump rope to warm up, 10 pushups, 20 squats, 20 lunges, a 15 second plank, and 30 jumping jacks. I was able to do everything but the lunges. At 14 it felt like my left thigh was going to give out and just stop working, so I cut that one short because I really can't afford to injure myself right now.

You're supposed to do that circuit 3 times, but I only managed once because afterwards it took about 5 minutes for my heart to stop feeling like it was gonna explode. Then I went to the kitchen to grab a peanut butter sandwich and some oatmeal, and I started feeling like I was gonna pass out so I sat down. Took about 5 more minutes 'till I could stand up without feeling really light-headed.

So is this normal, or should I be concerned? I do have high blood pressure, even though I'm underweight rather than overweight. I ate a pretty healthy breakfast about an hour before so I should've had the energy for working out.

OK FitGAF I need to know if this is normal. I'm 30 and I've never been particularly fit, so I decided a while back that I would get in really good shape and take advantage while I'm still relatively young and in my prime for some things.

So today I started a strength training body weight circuit. Total beginner's workout: jump rope to warm up, 10 pushups, 20 squats, 20 lunges, a 15 second plank, and 30 jumping jacks. I was able to do everything but the lunges. At 14 it felt like my left thigh was going to give out and just stop working, so I cut that one short because I really can't afford to injure myself right now.

You're supposed to do that circuit 3 times, but I only managed once because afterwards it took about 5 minutes for my heart to stop feeling like it was gonna explode. Then I went to the kitchen to grab a peanut butter sandwich and some oatmeal, and I started feeling like I was gonna pass out so I sat down. Took about 5 more minutes 'till I could stand up without feeling really light-headed.

So is this normal, or should I be concerned? I do have high blood pressure, even though I'm underweight rather than overweight. I ate a pretty healthy breakfast about an hour before so I should've had the energy for working out.

It's hard for us to tell you "this is normal, keep going" without putting you at risk for some serious injuries since we don't know your medical history nor your current physical condition (besides HBP and being underweight). I'd really suggest talking with a Dr. to make sure you're all-clear for exercising right now. I mean, if you have basically had no physical activity for a while now it wouldn't surprise me that the above routine would make you feel pretty exhausted. I doubt the leg thing is anything but simply having weak legs, I'm more worried about the light-headedness. I'd say all of us in this thread have felt a bit woozy after a workout, and how difficult that workout has to be to achieve the light headedness totally depends on our current level of fitness. The stuff I do, a lot of guys in here would have no trouble with, but if I tried to overhead press 200+ lbs I'd fail faster than the shutoff valves at Fukushima.

So, I'll summarize: Don't give up on your goal to improve your health through weight/cardio training, but maybe get a quick thumbs-up from a doctor just to be safe.

Stannis

Ugh people at work telling me 'saturated fat is bad for you' and 'you shouldn't be eating that after a workout'. I've just done BBB squats, let me enjoy my big mac and large milkshake in peace god dammit.

The funny thing is I see them eating that shit all the time. Just because they know I've been to the gym during lunch they feel the need to comment.

/rant.

Shadybiz

Ugh people at work telling me 'saturated fat is bad for you' and 'you shouldn't be eating that after a workout'. I've just done BBB squats, let me enjoy my big mac and large milkshake in peace god dammit.

The funny thing is I see them eating that shit all the time. Just because they know I've been to the gym during lunch they feel the need to comment.

/rant.

Yeah, it's great when I'm having my 4 HB egg breakfast, and one of the managers here says "You know you shouldn't be eating so many eggs because they're high in cholesterol."

I just tell him that's not the current thinking, and that he should read up on it. Meanwhile, he drinks about 3 20oz bottles of Diet Mountain Dew per day (because "diet" makes it better), and I can hear him grunting with exertion when he's trying to fire one off in the men's room. People who have no business commenting all too frequently feel the need to.

On another note, it's a damn good feeling when you put on a pair of slacks, and the waist fits just as well as it did before, but they're just a bit too tight in the thighs.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's hard for us to tell you "this is normal, keep going" without putting you at risk for some serious injuries since we don't know your medical history nor your current physical condition (besides HBP and being underweight). I'd really suggest talking with a Dr. to make sure you're all-clear for exercising right now. I mean, if you have basically had no physical activity for a while now it wouldn't surprise me that the above routine would make you feel pretty exhausted. I doubt the leg thing is anything but simply having weak legs, I'm more worried about the light-headedness. I'd say all of us in this thread have felt a bit woozy after a workout, and how difficult that workout has to be to achieve the light headedness totally depends on our current level of fitness. The stuff I do, a lot of guys in here would have no trouble with, but if I tried to overhead press 200+ lbs I'd fail faster than the shutoff valves at Fukushima.

So, I'll summarize: Don't give up on your goal to improve your health through weight/cardio training, but maybe get a quick thumbs-up from a doctor just to be safe.

Noted, thanks. I'll check with my doc, though I hope he doesn't want to run a bunch of cardio tests because I can't really afford it right now. Hopefully he'll be able to give the OK without doing all that.

Chocobro

So... I don't really know what to do. My friend, who finished SS months, critiqued my squat form yesterday when I increased the weight to 110 after completing 105 on Monday after a week break. He said the following points:

1) lack of hip drive
2) no glute activation
3) take a narrower stance
4) break at the knees then shove them out to the sides
5) made me deload to 95 and said to work on form

For what it is worth, 1) he low-bar squats whereas I high-bar squat so his criticism could be based on his squat. As far as I am aware, there isn't a whole lot of hip drive in the high-bar as opposed to the low-bar squat. 2) Is it possible to see there's no glute activation or is there something indirect the he's looking for to come to that conclusion;maybe coming out of the hole not explosively enough? (My weak point is exploding up). I still feel soreness in the glutes from Monday's squats so I'm obviously activating my glutes am I not? 3) My stance is already around shoulder width, maybe just a bit wider, it's just comfortable for me. 4) Is that the right way? He said it'll activate the glutes. I learned to do it simultaneously so I don't see a difference. A tip I follow is to show your groin when squatting.

Now that I got that out of the way. I am going to try to record a form check video tomorrow. What working weight should I do and record? Do the original 110 to continue linear progression or at 100-105? All this school work, getting burned out after exams, and now this is making it hard to make progress in my squat or lifts in general. Assuming my squat form is still consistent with my last form check video (link 1 link 2), is he right or should I just continue doing what I was doing?

/rant.

Yeah, it's great when I'm having my 4 HB egg breakfast, and one of the managers here says "You know you shouldn't be eating so many eggs because they're high in cholesterol."

I just tell him that's not the current thinking, and that he should read up on it. Meanwhile, he drinks about 3 20oz bottles of Diet Mountain Dew per day (because "diet" makes it better), and I can hear him grunting with exertion when he's trying to fire one off in the men's room. People who have no business commenting all too frequently feel the need to.

On another note, it's a damn good feeling when you put on a pair of slacks, and the waist fits just as well as it did before, but they're just a bit too tight in the thighs.

First off, the bolded part has become the bane of my existence. It's like, yeah it's great that I'm getting stronger and bigger but not fatter, but at the same time it's like, fuck man, "regular" jeans start to feel like skinny jeans.

Second, I'm with you guys on the wrongful demonizing of fats, but as with any food/macronutrient/micronutrient/etc there is eventually a healthy limit. The healthy upper limits set for fats in the US are certainly too low, but that doesn't mean that for the average person a dozen eggs a day (chosen as a random example) couldn't still be harmful. I also wonder if the upper limit for fat intake is simply "don't eat so much that it puts your total caloric intake too high," which would be a wonderful thing if true.

I'm not saying you guys are going over my hypothetical maximum health intake for grams of fat per day, just playing devil's advocate in suggesting that there probably is still some upper limit at which point further fat consumption would be a net loss for overall health.

Noted, thanks. I'll check with my doc, though I hope he doesn't want to run a bunch of cardio tests because I can't really afford it right now. Hopefully he'll be able to give the OK without doing all that.

Good luck!

Shadybiz

^^^^

Yeah, the unfortunate part of that story is that these particular slacks don't have a seam, so they can't be taken out or anything. Womp womp.

Definitely agreed on the intake levels. I'm no nutritionist, but I would assume that eating a stick of butter per day is probably not good. I think I read that it's not good to have too much protein, either, so I would think that it would be the same for fats and carbs. Everything in moderation, in my opinion.

Szu

I'm really starting to feel like a crack addict suffering from withdraw.

I haven't touch any weights since 10/16. I still won't be able to lift until I get the OK from my doctor. My next visit is on 12/6. I've been given the OK to do cardio and work on leg machines.

Maybe it's also the fact that I just turned 40 yesterday, but the itch really hit me this morning for some reason.

On a side note, I got some pics of my elbow before the staples were removed. It looks like I've got Frankenstein's creature's arm.

I'm wondering if I should post the links?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really starting to feel like a crack addict suffering from withdraw.

I haven't touch any weights since 10/16. I still won't be able to lift until I get the OK from my doctor. My next visit is on 12/6. I've been given the OK to do cardio and work on leg machines.

Maybe it's also the fact that I just turned 40 yesterday, but the itch really hit me this morning for some reason.

On a side note, I got some pics of my elbow before the staples were removed. It looks like I've got Frankenstein's creature's arm.

I'm wondering if I should post the links?

You'll be back before you know it.

Post your pics in the Post Pics of Yourself thread. Watch the fun ensue!

Brolic I've been away too long and at odd hours, I need to make sure I mention that your videos, knowing you're the KING OF ALL NATURALS is inspiring as fuck. Just wanted to make that known, even if you hate these this is how I feel when I see a video of yours
jbi3eE4zMhXJe4_e.jpg

Petrie

Banned
Back seems to be feeling better each day. I miss the gym, but I think I just know my body well enough to know another week will have me back in action. Going to plan my first day back tentatively for next weekend. 2 1/2 weeks without lifting, this sucks.

5/3/1 I miss you!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm 23 and weigh about 120 pounds. I don't exercise at all right now, which combined with my weight I realize is a huge issue but not really what I came to ask about today. Right now I'm concerned with nutrition and trying to help keep my energy level up. The biggest struggle is lunch time at work.

I've been having trouble coming up with a healthy plan for lunch time meals. Always seems to be the most dangerous time of day in terms of what is easily available (basically all junk since I am at work near fast food joints and subway/jimmy johns) versus having to plan ahead of time and pack my lunch (which I have not been good about lately). Anything with bread seems to make me energized for a short spell and then feel sluggish and extremely sleepy an hour later.

Basically I think it's a food problem as I don't drink coffee or energy drinks or soda, only water. I used to drink kale shakes but haven't lately for the same reason I haven't packed my lunch (run out of time to prepare / forget). I think the best thing to do is to get back into planning and packing my own lunch, but I really don't know what to buy or get that would help keep my energy up.

I appreciate the information in the OP and do earnestly want to get into becoming fit but the most realistic solution to my life right now is getting on track with eating healthier foods so I can feel more energized. More energy = more desire to exercise right?

Thanks for any words of advice.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like you've got yourself a sugar addiction. Have you cut out carbs completely and let your body adjust? Give it a week like that, no carbs, and see if you feel better or worse.

Also on the energy tip - I don't think that matters. Days where I feel like dogshit walking in, I end up with the best workouts despite not wanting it. That's just how it happens. You go. Non-negotiable.

Shadybiz

Jackben, I would recommend that you buy yourself a 5-pack of chicken breasts every week, and cook them up on Sundays. Just put them in at 375, for around 20 minutes per side. Other than waiting for them to cook, they take about 5 minutes to prepare, so in the end, you're saving time (by not going to these fast food places) and money (again, by not going to these fast food places). My typical lunch of a banana, a large chicken breast, and a cup of instant rice costs me around $2.50 per day, and I save about 15-20 minutes NOT driving back and forth to Wendy's.

If you're trying to gain weight, maybe 10 chicken breasts per week.

Maybe have some rice or quinoa with it, and some kind of veggie, and you should be good.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You're probably right Vince, in terms of sugar addiction and sticking to a routine. And I might just do that, Shady. It sounds pretty reasonable and definitely better than wasting gas, currency and sacrificing my personal health on fast food. I appreciate the advice you guys, thank you.

I'm 23 and weigh about 120 pounds. I don't exercise at all right now, which combined with my weight I realize is a huge issue but not really what I came to ask about today. Right now I'm concerned with nutrition and trying to help keep my energy level up. The biggest struggle is lunch time at work.

I've been having trouble coming up with a healthy plan for lunch time meals. Always seems to be the most dangerous time of day in terms of what is easily available (basically all junk since I am at work near fast food joints and subway/jimmy johns) versus having to plan ahead of time and pack my lunch (which I have not been good about lately). Anything with bread seems to make me energized for a short spell and then feel sluggish and extremely sleepy an hour later.

Basically I think it's a food problem as I don't drink coffee or energy drinks or soda, only water. I used to drink kale shakes but haven't lately for the same reason I haven't packed my lunch (run out of time to prepare / forget). I think the best thing to do is to get back into planning and packing my own lunch, but I really don't know what to buy or get that would help keep my energy up.

I appreciate the information in the OP and do earnestly want to get into becoming fit but the most realistic solution to my life right now is getting on track with eating healthier foods so I can feel more energized. More energy = more desire to exercise right?

Thanks for any words of advice.

Do you have a slow-cooker? I use mine about once a week to make a gigantic pile of food as my main dish for my lunches, then I throw in some fruit and veggies on the side and that usually becomes a fairly easy meal. Get a main dish that you enjoy, get some fruit that takes little-if-any time to wash, and some frozen veggies that you can microwave and throw in with your main dish at mealtime.

Some things I make frequently:
Main dishes - Chicken and rice, salsa chicken, pot roast, meatloaf, pulled BBQ pork
Fruit - Banana, apple, dried plums, raisins
Frozen veggies - Broccoli, peas, mixed vegetables, green beans, cauliflower

You can easily add in some crackers with peanut butter, a yogurt, or cheese sticks to round this out. Once I make the big pile of crock pot food, I dish it up into individual Pyrex containers on Sunday evening and then do the same for the frozen veggies (and leave the veggies in the freezer of course). Then, say it's Monday morning, I just take one of the veggie containers, one of the main dish containers, a piece of fruit (or put some of the smaller fruits into a Ziploc) and throw it all into my lunch box and I'm good to go. Takes less than 2 minutes each morning if you can cook the main course and then spend 10 minutes dividing it up Sunday before work.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
You're probably right Vince, in terms of sugar addiction and sticking to a routine. And I might just do that, Shady. It sounds pretty reasonable and definitely better than wasting gas, currency and sacrificing my personal health on fast food. I appreciate the advice you guys, thank you.

Also, exercise will help your energy level. Better trained = more energy.

Noema

The King

That side profile doe

The king indeed. Dat Chest holy crap.

If the bar is slipping off your shoulders then it's either too low, or you aren't producing the "shelf" it's supposed to rest on with your rear delts. You should not be gripping the bar in a low bar squat. The hands rest on the bar but they are not actually holding it; you aren't even supposed to use your thumbs.

If you haven't, watch this. If you have watched it already, watch it again, and again. Practice with the bar and then with 95lb, 135lb, etc.

Noema

So... I don't really know what to do. My friend, who finished SS months, critiqued my squat form yesterday when I increased the weight to 110 after completing 105 on Monday after a week break. He said the following points:

1) lack of hip drive
2) no glute activation
3) take a narrower stance
4) break at the knees then shove them out to the sides
5) made me deload to 95 and said to work on form

Like you yourself mentioned, if you are doing high bar squats, hip drive is going to be greatly diminished. Hip drive depends on the fact that, in a low bar squat, the more closed hip angle results in the hamstrings being stretched at the bottom during the eccentric phase, which allows the stretch reflex to be engaged. 'Hip Drive' is just a cue to bounce off that stretched out hamstring to take as much advantage as possible of the stretch reflex. In a high bar squat the more vertical torso results in hamstrings that aren't quite as eccentrically contracted which results in basically a lack of 'hip drive' in high bar squats; if anything you'll drive up with your chest.

As for the lack of glute activation, the function of the glutes is to extend the hips. How could you ever squat the weight up by extending your femurs without activating your glutes? It would be like flexing your elbow joint without using your biceps.

I don't see anything wrong with your squats, other than maybe a slightly too wide stance. Also, don't hesitate to let your knees travel past your toes on a high bar squat, it's an anatomical disposition that's dicated by the fact that you need to balance the weight over the middle of your foot with a more vertical torso.

Lastly, if you want to increase your squats, you are gonna have to gain more weight.

J. Bravo

I feel kind of bad saying this, but I'm somewhat okay with my Mom being sick. It's not life threatening (knock on wood), thank goodness. But I love it because people from our church bring us food all the time. Such as the amazing turkey with carrots and potatoes. EZ bulk.

sphinx

the piano man
I feel kind of bad saying this, but I'm somewhat okay with my Mom being sick. It's not life threatening (knock on wood), thank goodness. But I love it because people from our church bring us food all the time. Such as the amazing turkey with carrots and potatoes. EZ bulk.

dude... how can you be o.k with your mom being sick because you get food from strangers? -_- ...*sigh

J. Bravo

dude... how can you be o.k with your mom being sick because you get food from strangers? -_- ...*sigh

because she'll get better, they're not strangers, and it's good food? I want her to get better, but I'm not abstaining from free food just because it's given to us while she is ill.

TopDreg

You should not be gripping the bar in a low bar squat.

Ah. I shoulda used a different word than grip. I have my thumb over the bar like SS suggests. Alrighty, I suspect a shelf problem then. Thanks.

Edit: Oh, thanks C. Qwark. Yep, could be that also.

Mark1

I'm confused about something, I asked about muscle gains last week and got a response saying if you're getting stronger then the diet is working. However I read on BodyBuilding that someone got stronger but didn't understand why they weren't getting bigger after 6 months or so of lifting.

I thought that if you were able to lift more weight it mean your muscles are growing. *scratches head*

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused about something, I asked about muscle gains last week and got a response saying if you're getting stronger then the diet is working. However I read on BodyBuilding that someone got stronger but didn't understand why they weren't getting bigger after 6 months or so of lifting.

I thought that if you were able to lift more weight it mean your muscles are growing. *scratches head*

You're getting better at mastering movements. Some people train for size, not strength. Eventually it all comes, so be patient, but likely what's going on is your fat is vanishing and being replaced with muscle. Keep moving the weights up. It's working.

abuC

Just came back from the gym for the first time in about a week, 2 weeks since I lifted heavy and my shoulders have not improved. Thought some time off would heal them...nope. I can't do DB flys, and I actually had some strain/pain while doing double bicep cable curls.

All that volume from UD 2.0 fucked up my left shoulder, which never experienced any pain. I'll start doing rehab work on them tomorrow, wont stop me from lifting but it's really annoying to have my shoulders be the weak link considering they used to be my go to guys. Surgery is not an option, my friend had shoulder surgery and he said if he had to do it again he would opt not to.

Mark1

You're getting better at mastering movements. Some people train for size, not strength. Eventually it all comes, so be patient, but likely what's going on is your fat is vanishing and being replaced with muscle. Keep moving the weights up. It's working.
What I mean is the guy was training for muscle mass for six months, got stronger but no mass

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What I mean is the guy was training for muscle mass for six months, got stronger but no mass
I've gotten stronger with no mass gain. I always figured it was my muscle density increasing. Could be total BS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom