• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It seems they just don't like doing compound based routines or heavy weights in general.

Definitely throwing curls into my routine now!. Guessing sets of 10 at a lower weight. Still deciding if I should go with the ez bar, dumbbells or a barbell though.
Rotate BB and DB

Cooter

Curls help to prevent DYEL syndrome.

Sure, but you do need to follow some sort of progression to drive progress. The reason most people don't get anywhere is because they either just do the same thing over and over, or they just keep ADDing from one exercise to the other, i.e; fuckarounditis.

A program ensures that: you stick to the main compounds and you keep adding weight to the bar. That's why SS works so well, because it's almost like an algorithm that forces novices to learn the main lifts, and teaches them the importance of programming to drive progress instead of waiting for progress to come. Is SS the only route? No, but for a rank novice it's hard to beat.

The more advanced you are, the more you can 'play it by ear', but novices will almost always be better served by following a program.

Oh, absolutely. I wasn't referring to beginners or novices. As usual, you are correct.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Got my numbers up across the board.

Incline Press- 155
Squats- 205
Deadlift- 275
Bent over Row- 195
Shoulder Press- 125
Hang Cleans- 105

Thoughts GAF? Do these numbers/ratios look right or am I doing something wrong? Also when should I move up outta SS? I'm still making gains so I'm happy with it, but just wondering if there was a better program to progress even faster.

Cooter

Alright thanks will do. Wasn't sure about barbell since the I would be taking up a bench or squat rack to do them lol.
If they have an extra use that. If not I usually take one from the decline and bring it somewhere else. If it's extremely dead you can use a squat rack but I prefer not to.

Got my numbers up across the board.

Incline Press- 155
Squats- 205
Deadlift- 275
Bent over Row- 195
Shoulder Press- 125
Hang Cleans- 105

Thoughts GAF? Do these numbers/ratios look right or am I doing something wrong? Also when should I move up outta SS? I'm still making gains so I'm happy with it, but just wondering if there was a better program to progress even faster.

That bent over row looks off based on your other numbers.

thomaser

Skjermbilde-2013-11-09-kl.-16.02.56-1030x603.png

New squat world record! Carl Yngvar Christensen, 23 yo/164 kg, did a 475 kg/1047,2 pounds lift today in the Stavanger 2013 Powerlifting World Championships. Here's a video.

Oh, and here's his daily food intake:
- 1,5 liters of milk
- 1 tub of sour cream (around 350 grams)
- 1 pack of bacon
- 500 grams of rice
- 900 grams of chicken
- 100 grams of oats
- a little asparagus (am I the only one who finds this funny?)
- many liters of water

J. Bravo

Goddamn Fit Ghost!!

Went to the local high school track to do some HIIT. Stretched out for a few minutes, did a warmup lap around the track, and then on the second stride (SECOND STRIDE) of the sprint, I felt a muscle in my left thigh say "nope."

I did HIIT last week, and was fine, and I think I stretched even more today, so I don't know what the deal is. My wife the nurse says that from the pain I'm describing, I might have gotten lucky and just strained it. Ugh, hopefully I'll feel okay enough for leg day on Wednesday.

If it's your hamstring, you probably won't be ready by wednesday. I wouldn't risk it anyways.

Now, do I squat after work or do it tomorrow. I'm off work at 10pm tonight lol. Oh and what am I supposed to do if I couldn't get my 5 reps for bench press yesterday? Just finish the cycle and re try it if i can't get the 1 week?

Shadybiz

If it's your hamstring, you probably won't be ready by wednesday. I wouldn't risk it anyways.

Now, do I squat after work or do it tomorrow. I'm off work at 10pm tonight lol. Oh and what am I supposed to do if I couldn't get my 5 reps for bench press yesterday? Just finish the cycle and re try it if i can't get the 1 week?

Yeah, hamstring would be bad news, but she's thinking it's the sartorius or gracilis, as it's more towards the inside on the front. Either way, you're right, I should not overdo it. I'll probably take some time off from running, that's for sure. Very annoying, to say the least. I'm not even in much pain, but I know I can't run.

On a brighter note, my 2 boxes of Quest bars came! Apple Pie and Choc. Chip Cookie Dough in mah belly!

blackflag

New squat world record! Carl Yngvar Christensen, 23 yo/164 kg, did a 475 kg/1047,2 pounds lift today in the Stavanger 2013 Powerlifting World Championships. Here's a video.

- 1,5 liters of milk
- 1 pack of bacon
- 500 grams of rice
- 900 grams of chicken
- 100 grams of oats
- many liters of water

Interesting diet. I wonder why the sour cream instead of something else with similar macros

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Curls help to prevent DYEL syndrome

I've found that if the bicep does get weak and lags behind it can cause some problems. If there's one muscle that is used often in everday construction and industrial work it's the bicep... I strained/tweaked my biceps more than once pulling filter press plates at a refinery, filled these can weigh 100-200lbs each and a press had 56+ plates/frames that you pull with one arm (10-25 presses a shift). Most recently I've strained my biceps crimping 1/2"-3/4" pex because at awkward overhead angles it's the bicep doing all of the work. My arms have been around 17.5-18", decent size, during the time but I never directly trained my biceps and they were certainly a weak point. I threw in some chinups and the occassional db curls and it did help out, my bicep musclea don't strain squeezing a crimper closed anymore.

I only do dumbbell curls, occasionally I do seated BB, but very rarely. I tried to shift to standing BB, but it bores me to tears.

Honestly, my favorite bicep exercise is DB preachers. I go very heavy with a short range of motion, and correct with a full range. Feels so good.

I only do dumbbell curls, occasionally I do seated BB, but very rarely. I tried to shift to standing BB, but it bores me to tears.

Honestly, my favorite bicep exercise is DB preachers. I go very heavy with a short range of motion, and correct with a full range. Feels so good.

Maybe you'd have some input on this: EZ-Curl bars for preacher curls, good, bad, or doesn't matter? I just use them for the convenience of already having the weight ready to go, but I've heard there may be benefits to sticking to a short Olympic bar. Any truth to this, or am I wasting my time worrying?

Maybe you'd have some input on this: EZ-Curl bars for preacher curls, good, bad, or doesn't matter? I just use them for the convenience of already having the weight ready to go, but I've heard there may be benefits to sticking to a short Olympic bar. Any truth to this, or am I wasting my time worrying?
Doesn't matter. A curl is a curl, Just focus on form and make sure you're doing the lift with your biceps.

Doesn't matter. A curl is a curl, Just focus on form and make sure you're doing the lift with your biceps.

Definitely the hardest part for me. Seems like my forearms and shoulders do most of the work unless I make the movement very slowly and put a ton of focus into it. I've improved at it through the years but I still have to constantly keep focus.

Definitely the hardest part for me. Seems like my forearms and shoulders do most of the work unless I make the movement very slowly and put a ton of focus into it. I've improved at it through the years but I still have to constantly keep focus.
Yeah, it's the hardest part of curling (lol). I didn't realize how bad my curl form was until I ego checked myself and dropped the weight 20 lbs on my DB curls.

The only reason I love preachers is that I find it near impossible for me to cheat a rep.

iddqd

Any tips for grip strength?
I feel ok with lifting the weight itself at the deadlift but my hands open up like little t-rex arms.
(already doing the alternate grip)

ILoveBish

Tried the new double chocolate quest bar yesterday, it was ok, doubt ill get it again. Just needed a quick meal at the mall and was curious.

- 1,5 liters of milk
- 1 pack of bacon
- 500 grams of rice
- 900 grams of chicken
- 100 grams of oats
- many liters of water

Super impressive. Also, i never, EVER want to look like this guy. I really don't like the look of a powerlifter, but more power to him for such an accomplishment.

thomaser

Question: I'm in the fourth week of 531, which is the easy week. But I'm also doing BBB as accessory, and the weight and volume on BBB (which is usually much lower than the main workout) is higher than on the 531 fourth week program. Is this ok? Should I continue doing BBB this week, or should I do something less intensive as accessory?

Super impressive. Also, i never, EVER want to look like this guy. I really don't like the look of a powerlifter, but more power to him for such an accomplishment.

Yeah, he looks like he's at least ten years older than he is.

Daud

Neo Member
I'm nearing the end of my first cycle of 5/3/1 and while I felt good doing it, I feel that after SS, I don't work my squat nearly as much, which I dislike. I think this is a common complaint.

I'm thinking about including, as assistance, either front squats (3 x 10 or 3 x 5, linear progression and starting quite low, perhaps), or low intensity squats (50%-60% 1RM) on another day than squat day. What would you guys recommend? And when should I plug that in?

My assistance exercises include chins, dips, Kroc rows, LTE, inverted flys, stiff leg DL, farmer's walks and curls. I also do power cleans after my squats, but I've just begun so I'm on the SS linear progression.

Go_Ly_Dow

Question.

Shoulders and triceps still ache from yesterday. Working back and biceps today. Workout includes deadlifts and pull ups.

Monday and Tuesday are rest days but am worried that this will have a negative impact on my muscle recovery since I'm indirectly working my shoulders and triceps again.

Thoughts?

Daud

Neo Member
Er... why do you choose 5/3/1 over SS then? Just curious.

I've done SS for 6 months and a half for the four major compounds, and switched to 5/3/1 for these after. I've only been doing PC for about a month, after I got my 5RM at the deadlift above 250. I might not have been clear, but I'm only on a SS-style linear progression for my power cleans, the rest is 5/3/1.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If they have an extra use that. If not I usually take one from the decline and bring it somewhere else. If it's extremely dead you can use a squat rack but I prefer not to.

That bent over row looks off based on your other numbers.

Low or high?

Noema

Question: I'm in the fourth week of 531, which is the easy week. But I'm also doing BBB as accessory, and the weight and volume on BBB (which is usually much lower than the main workout) is higher than on the 531 fourth week program. Is this ok? Should I continue doing BBB this week, or should I do something less intensive as accessory?

4th week is deload week and you should see it as an opportunity to relax while your body recovers. So I'd skip BBB. Just do some light assistance stuff after your 531 lift, like curls, some chins, maybe some abwork or back extensions. I set a rule for myself that during light week I'm not allowed to be at the gym for more than 30 minutes per session.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's the ULTIMATE accessory work for triceps, in everyones' opinion? I feel like kickbacks are a complete waste of fuckin time.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Hmm maybe my form is off?

edit- where should it be at?

It is most likely off.

Maybe 40-50% of your deadlift for a few reps.

Yes I pulled that number out of my ass.

My buddy can pull 500+ and kroc row 140+ but he can't do a strict BB row for shit, maybe 154-165lbs for reps.

IceCold

Can anybody try to answer the confirmation question of this website: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=register

Don't bother filling anything else, just check if you get an error message for an invalid answer: "You have provided an invalid answer to the confirmation question."

It's the official forum of Johnny Pain, the creator of Greyskull LP. I want to ask him a question on his Q&A thread but can't register to his forum. It fails regardless of what I put as an answer in the registration page. Either I'm a total idiot, or the website is fucked..or both.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It is most likely off.

Maybe 40-50% of your deadlift for a few reps.

Yes I pulled that number out of my ass.

My buddy can pull 500+ and kroc row 140+ but he can't do a strict BB row for shit, maybe 154-165lbs for reps.

Alright I'll rework it for sure, what should I start at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom