• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

iddqd

Can anybody try to answer the confirmation question of this website: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=register

Don't bother filling anything else, just check if you get an error message for an invalid answer: "You have provided an invalid answer to the confirmation question."

It's the official forum of Johnny Pain, the creator of Greyskull LP. I want to ask him a question on his Q&A thread but can't register to his forum. It fails regardless of what I put as an answer in the registration page. Either I'm a total idiot, or the website is fucked..or both.

Man.. that site nearly killed my douche alarm.. why are you trying to sing up there?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
What's the ULTIMATE accessory work for triceps, in everyones' opinion? I feel like kickbacks are a complete waste of fuckin time.

Dips and LTEs (lying tricep extensions). They've done wonders for me. CGBP isn't bad either.

TopDreg

I've done SS for 6 months and a half for the four major compounds, and switched to 5/3/1 for these after. I've only been doing PC for about a month, after I got my 5RM at the deadlift above 250. I might not have been clear, but I'm only on a SS-style linear progression for my power cleans, the rest is 5/3/1.

Aaahhh got'cha. Cool cool. Seems pretty common to intermix linear progression into intermediate programs with one's weaker lifts.

300 lb deadlift today for 5 reps! Wooooooooooooooo!

And I've backed off significantly on squats... until I'm sure I have my form down pat and can stop hurting my shoulders with them. :mad:

Noema

What's the ULTIMATE accessory work for triceps, in everyones' opinion? I feel like kickbacks are a complete waste of fuckin time.

I'm gonna go with full ROM LTEs (behind the head). I'd say dips are overall superior as strength builders but they are more of a full upper body compound whereas the LTEs isolate the triceps more (even though properly performed LTEs are also a compound since they move two joints).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like LTE is the king for tris, gonna have to convince my brother to give up his damned kickbacks. Thanks for the input.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I like LTEs and used to go heavy up to 190 strict but.it never.really hit.the triceps and made them grow like CGBP.

Dips I tried doing them weighted and they just give me shoulder/joint pain.

I always treated cgbp.as a.compound and.did LTE after.

Cudder

Yes! Why didn't you say hi!?

Edit- is this the first semi official fit gaf meetup?

lmao. dude, I was not but 10 feet away from you and your wife in the water. you're right, I should've said hi. i was too chilled out and relaxed in the water to walk up to anybody though. :p

that's so trippy though, lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad the discussion went in this direction. I posted a few pages back about stalling on the bench press and overhead press, and I suspected it was my weak triceps that were causing it. I'm definitely going to give lying tricep extensions, hanging dips, and close grip bench presses a try to see if they can't help me build some strength there.

J. Bravo

Sweet potatoes or white potatoes for bulking? Racing my friend to 185 9% lol. I've got about 15lbs and 1% to to whereas he's got 25lbs but can gain some fat since he's at 4 or 5 right now lol

Guys, any tips for not feeling sluggish at the gym? I feel like I get too tired quickly or just feel kinda slow. I do eat at least 1 hour before hitting the gym, something like eggs or a protein bar. Does creatine help in here?

rando14

Guys, any tips for not feeling sluggish at the gym? I feel like I get too tired quickly or just feel kinda slow. I do eat at least 1 hour before hitting the gym, something like eggs or a protein bar. Does creatine help in here?

Coffee! You could spend money on a pre-workout but I think pre-workouts are mostly a waste of money.

despire

Because you can ask a question directly to the guy that developed Greyskull. I want to ask him if the routine I'm thinking of doing is good.

Did you notice that there's three L's in the word barbell on the site?

greyskul barbelll

-> grey elll or greyelll or something like that

I've registered there but I'm not sure anymore how I wrote it. But I think the trick is that there is three L's instead of two.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anybody else get shaky after stretching before a workout? I've heard it's from too much static stretching. I also feel burnt out lately after my 2nd exercise so it goes- Squats, Incline, Deadlift, Pull-ups.

I've gone up in everything, and 205 has been a real push on the squats, but I'd like to stick with it. Any other recommendations for what I should eat? I usually wake up, have a protein shake and greek yogurt. Then about an hour before I have a banana and right when I'm about to lift some caffeine.

Also what's the benefit of 5/3/1 vs. SS, and when should I move from SS to 5/3/1?

thomaser

4th week is deload week and you should see it as an opportunity to relax while your body recovers. So I'd skip BBB. Just do some light assistance stuff after your 531 lift, like curls, some chins, maybe some abwork or back extensions. I set a rule for myself that during light week I'm not allowed to be at the gym for more than 30 minutes per session.

Ok, thanks!

SeanR1221

lmao. dude, I was not but 10 feet away from you and your wife in the water. you're right, I should've said hi. i was too chilled out and relaxed in the water to walk up to anybody though. :p

that's so trippy though, lol.

You must have been on the carnival fantasy then, right?

I'm glad we could make the water a little stronger together.

Weighed myself, up 10 pounds. Holy bloat.

IceCold

Did you notice that there's three L's in the word barbell on the site?

greyskul barbelll

-> grey elll or greyelll or something like that

I've registered there but I'm not sure anymore how I wrote it. But I think the trick is that there is three L's instead of two.

That's what I always did. Doesn't work for me.

Daud

Neo Member
I'm nearing the end of my first cycle of 5/3/1 and while I felt good doing it, I feel that after SS, I don't work my squat nearly as much, which I dislike. I think this is a common complaint.

I'm thinking about including, as assistance, either front squats (3 x 10 or 3 x 5, linear progression and starting quite low, perhaps), or low intensity squats (50%-60% 1RM) on another day than squat day. What would you guys recommend? And when should I plug that in?

My assistance exercises include chins, dips, Kroc rows, LTE, inverted flys, stiff leg DL, farmer's walks and curls. I also do power cleans after my squats, but I've just begun so I'm on the SS linear progression.

Anyone? Low-intensity squats or front squats as assistance on 5/3/1? And on what day?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone? Low-intensity squats or front squats as assistance on 5/3/1? And on what day?

Since 531 isn't too squat-intensive I see NO reason why you shouldn't throw some in there. I'd do it every day if you feel up for it, but you might want to take an off day on one of em.

Noema will set me straight though. I wish we could get him tagged "Squat King"

I forget who suggested this (maybe Noema?) but I've been doing front squats on my deadlift day; I following something along the "Triumverate" routine of assistance work as described in the 5/3/1 book.

With 5/3/1, there are a few suggested methods of doing assistance work (as mentioned, I follow Triumverate). There's one called Big But Boring (BBB) that basically suggests you follow up your 5/3/1 squats with a few more sets of lower weight squats.

So, you can absolutely add front squats or lower weight back squats to your routine. I've enjoyed having front squats on my deadlift day so it puts some separation between my back and front squats.

despire

That's what I always did. Doesn't work for me.

Ok then. Have you tried using only two L's? I'm not sure what the problem was but I remember that there was something funky with this. Took me couple of tries to get it.

Maybe "grey bell" or "greybell"?

I also feel burnt out lately after my 2nd exercise so it goes- Squats, Incline, Deadlift, Pull-ups.

I've gone up in everything, and 205 has been a real push on the squats, but I'd like to stick with it. Any other recommendations for what I should eat? I usually wake up, have a protein shake and greek yogurt. Then about an hour before I have a banana and right when I'm about to lift some caffeine.

Also what's the benefit of 5/3/1 vs. SS, and when should I move from SS to 5/3/1?

being burnt out early in your workout might be from a lack of carbs. since what you mentioned you eat in the morning contains almost none of them. consider eating a substantial breakfast and then having a shake before your workout?

otherwise, throw a cup of oats into your protein shake. or maybe add in some carb heavy cereal (like shredded wheat) or something carb heavy cos it seems like you just need more energy to burn

Noema

What I do in 531 is that on Mondays I follow regular 531 programming for squats and do either RDLs or Good Mornings for assistance, and then on Thursdays I do 3 sets of 5 with 80% of my max as volume work. That way get more volume and practice on squats which helps drive progress since I don't feel the 531 work is enough for me. I do something similar with bench: 531 programming on Tuesdays, 5 sets of 5 Close Grip Bench with 80% of my max on Fridays after OHP.

At the beginning I was doing BBB sets on Thursdays but I feel heavier sets of 5 are more conductive towards building strength than sets of 10 with lower weights.

Noema will set me straight though. I wish we could get him tagged "Squat King"

God no, my squats suck :( That tag would only work ironically :(

IceCold

Ok then. Have you tried using only two L's? I'm not sure what the problem was but I remember that there was something funky with this. Took me couple of tries to get it.

Maybe "grey bell" or "greybell"?

That worked (grey bell). What a dumb website.

Thank you, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Doing Smolov Jr. today and 6x6 @ 215 is too easy. I think that I might have to increase the weights for the rest of the week. I'm suppose to do 7x5 @ 225 lbs but I might bump that up to 230 or 235.

Mark1

Hello again guys, have yet another question - I'm trying to understand something, is the amount of protein I'm consuming the reason for me to be getting stronger each week? Or is that more something else? I know it's important when it comes to muscle growth as well as weight gain.

Hello again guys, have yet another question - I'm trying to understand something, is the amount of protein I'm consuming the reason for me to be getting stronger each week? Or is that more something else? I know it's important when it comes to muscle growth as well as weight gain.

Protein consumption is one of several factors involved in strength gain. You won't get stronger if your protein intake is too low, but you also won't get stronger if your protein intake is very high without also stressing your muscles (through training, every day activities, etc). You need adequate protein intake in addition to proper muscular training to get stronger, one without the other simply won't suffice.

Think of it like baseball. If you want to be a better hitter, you need a bat and a ball. If you only have a bat, you can swing all you want, but you're never going to hit a homerun without a ball. If you have a ball, you can swat at it with your hands all you want, but you're still not going to hit a homerun. But, have the bat and the ball? You can practice your swing until you get so good you can hit the ball over the fence.

Short answer - yes, the protein your consuming helps you to become stronger, but by itself it will do very little for you.

Mark1

Protein consumption is one of several factors involved in strength gain. You won't get stronger if your protein intake is too low, but you also won't get stronger if your protein intake is very high without also stressing your muscles (through training, every day activities, etc). You need adequate protein intake in addition to proper muscular training to get stronger, one without the other simply won't suffice.

Think of it like baseball. If you want to be a better hitter, you need a bat and a ball. If you only have a bat, you can swing all you want, but you're never going to hit a homerun without a ball. If you have a ball, you can swat at it with your hands all you want, but you're still not going to hit a homerun. But, have the bat and the ball? You can practice your swing until you get so good you can hit the ball over the fence.

Short answer - yes, the protein your consuming helps you to become stronger, but by itself it will do very little for you.
Yeah, I should've clarified, I just hope it's not "noob gains" being why I'm getting bigger and stronger but instead because of proper dieting and exercise. It would mean I have finally got myself out of frustrating plateau - I swear these are soo fuckin' annoying.

Yeah, I should've clarified, I just hope it's not "noob gains" being why I'm getting bigger and stronger but instead because of proper dieting and exercise. It would mean I have finally got myself out of frustrating plateau - I swear these are soo fuckin' annoying.

Even noob gains require some level of proper diet and exercise. You could always post what you're eating and such here and we could do our best to help you out.

Stannis

Protein, carbs and fat. Eat em up.

Mark1

Even noob gains require some level of proper diet and exercise. You could always post what you're eating and such here and we could do our best to help you out.
I'm afraid I eat different foods everyday so it's hard to list. I generally ensure each meal I have has at least a good source of protein.

Do noob gains require less protein than other types of gains? I just want to know once and for all I've left this plateau behind me for good. It's been a hinderance for more than half a year. So frustrating to not see any results for all that time.

I'm afraid I eat different foods everyday so it's hard to list. I generally ensure each meal I have has at least a good source of protein.

Do noob gains require less protein than other types of gains? I just want to know once and for all I've left this plateau behind me for good. It's been a hinderance for more than half a year. So frustrating to not see any results for all that time.

People touched on the topic of "gains" over the past few pages I believe, but being able to lift more at a specific task (say, a deadlift) isn't always just muscular improvement, but also mental, involves the central nervous system, and execution-based (that is, you simply become better at going through the motion of a deadlift).

So, it's really hard to say that you need less or more protein early in your lifting career compared to 1, 5, or 10 years later. My guess is that you probably need around the same amount of protein throughout, with modest increases as your lean body mass increases (since you'll have more muscle, you'll need more baseline protein just to maintain what you have built). I'd say to not stress out about whether you're in the "noob gains" range or the "non-noob gains" range and just keep track of your progress - whatever type of progress it is. As long as you're growing and getting stronger, I'd say you're on the right track.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Any alternative to Fitocracy, since it's ruined now?

edit- also my cut is approaching, I know there are good guidelines here, but would love to put together a good diet and routine to kinda zip through this cut and have minimal loss on my lifts.

sphinx

the piano man
my fitgaf pals, I am pudgy and fat, what now?

is there turning back? or am I doomed to a world of nightmare where I see gains but I am just getting fat, like in Swolen Hill?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
my fitgaf pals, I am pudgy and fat, what now?

is there turning back? or am I doomed to a world of nightmare where I see gains but I am just getting fat, like in Swolen Hill?

Seriously this happening to me now, gotta turn to a cut, I've made some great gains in the past 4 or 5 months, and I've hit my goals, but it's time to at least dial it back.

sphinx

the piano man
Time to bulk.

lol,

Seriously this happening to me now, gotta turn to a cut, I've made some great gains in the past 4 or 5 months, and I've hit my goals, but it's time to at least dial it back.

those fucking scales are mean.

According to the new scale we got in my gym, in the last two weeks I've just gained fat, no muscle and I am just headed that way, but I see myself in the mirror and I think I am "o.k"......there is some dysmorphia shit going on, I am sure.

man I don't know.... I need someone to tell me "YOU look like SHIT, understood??"

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lol,

those fucking scales are mean.

According to the new scale we got in my gym, in the last two weeks I've just gained fat, no muscle and I am just headed that way, but I see myself in the mirror and I think I am "o.k"......there is some dysmorphia shit going on, I am sure.

man I don't know.... I need someone to tell me "YOU look like SHIT, understood??"

Lol It's not the scale it's the look, but the thing is the sheer strength I've gained is reassuring... in fact just finished my workout, got 15 on all my new highs, the biggest one being the incline. Talking SS 3x5s, and my deadlifts/squats continue to skyrocket as gaf predicted, so I'm happy, just wanna cut over the next 2 months or so (probably starting in january), so I can be ready to start bulking during summer again.

thomaser

Can somebody please look at my 531 routine? Criticism and suggestions welcomed!

Day 1:
- Squat
Assistance:
- BBB Bench press
- ??? (Leg press? Lunges in the smith machine? Help.)

Day 2:
- Bench Press
Assistance:
- BBB Squat
- Lying tricep extensions
- Cable chest exercises

Day 3:
- Deadlift
Assistance:
- BBB Overhead press
- Good mornings

Day 4:
- Overhead press
Assistance:
- BBB Deadlift
- Kroc rows

I also do pull-ups most days. And I always start off with a good whole-body warm-up and some dynamic stretching.

Noema

Can somebody please look at my 531 routine? Criticism and suggestions welcomed!

Day 1:
- Squat
Assistance:
- BBB Bench press
- ??? (Leg press? Lunges in the smith machine? Help.)

Day 2:
- Bench Press
Assistance:
- BBB Squat
- Lying tricep extensions
- Cable chest exercises

Day 3:
- Deadlift
Assistance:
- BBB Overhead press
- Good mornings

Day 4:
- Overhead press
Assistance:
- BBB Deadlift
- Kroc rows

I also do pull-ups most days. And I always start off with a good whole-body warm-up and some dynamic stretching.

BBB bench the day before 531 bench isn't a good idea. Do it on OHP day after OHP. Do OHP BBB after 531 bench; BBB squat after 531 deadlift and BBB DL after 531 squat. That way you'll have more time to recover. You can also do RDLs the day on squats day.

sphinx

the piano man
Lol It's not the scale it's the look, but the thing is the sheer strength I've gained is reassuring... in fact just finished my workout, got 15 on all my new highs, the biggest one being the incline. Talking SS 3x5s, and my deadlifts/squats continue to skyrocket as gaf predicted, so I'm happy, just wanna cut over the next 2 months or so (probably starting in january), so I can be ready to start bulking during summer again.

well I don't know what to think, I took pics at the gym today and while I am not defined and haven't gotten bigger/stronger in the last couple of weeks due to illness and other factors that made me take a break from the gym. I though I was "o.k" in my own personal context but the machine tells me I am at a whopping 18.5 % BF with absolutely no increase in body mass,

novgym_zps96ca037b.jpg

the stupid thing gives you smileys according to your stats and I am THIS near of getting a " :( " in both fat and muscle, I am barely " :) " and guys under 12% get a " :D "..... all of this is utter nonsense, somebody slap me in the face lol.

as for strength, oh that's a whole different story, if I think about strength, I don't care if I have to eat a complete cow to have a chance at breaking a PR. This is the "aesthetics" part of me speaking, not the strength part.

thomaser

BBB bench the day before 531 bench isn't a good idea. Do it on OHP day after OHP. Do OHP BBB after 531 bench; BBB squat after 531 deadlift and BBB DL after 531 squat. That way you'll have more time to recover. You can also do RDLs the day on squats day.

Thanks! That makes a whole lot of sense. I'll change the routine starting tomorrow.

Just one thing: I never quite got the difference between good mornings and RDLs. So when I write that I do good mornings on deadlift day, it might actually be RDLs. The way I imagine the difference is that gms are done quite slow, with a very rigid back and straight legs, while RDLs are more "dynamic", using the stretch reflex in the hamstrings to bounce up again after bending forwards. Is this right, or am I confused?

which flavors of quest bars should i order. i got chocolate chip and omg its good. I need these.

You mean cookie dough? That's the best one. Cinnamon Roll is good too.

well I don't know what to think, I took pics at the gym today and while I am not defined and haven't gotten bigger/stronger in the last couple of weeks due to illness and other factors that made me take a break from the gym. I though I was "o.k" in my own personal context but the machine tells me I am at a whopping 18.5 % BF with absolutely no increase in body mass.

What machine? BIA machines are BS, they are thrown way out of whack by so many factors. Case in point: Yesterday morning I was 160 at 16% according to my scale, that night I was 165 and the same BF%, after a nice long bath I was 163 lbs lighter 13.5%. They're only useful if you use them at the same time every day and even then it's only a trend, not the actual number. Don't sweat it. Or actually DO sweat if you really need to see a low number :D

Don't succumb to FE's sweet succubus song, it's not too late to join me on team abs my xmas!

I workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Those are also the days I eat more calories.

If I miss today's workout do I eat the normal amount of calories I would on this day or eat a rest day amount?

Are you cutting? If so why would you eat a workout day's amount of calories on what has now become a rest day?

I workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Those are also the days I eat more calories.

If I miss today's workout do I eat the normal amount of calories I would on this day or eat a rest day amount?

Also should I make up the workout tomorrow or just wait till Wednesday?

sphinx

the piano man
What machine? BIA machines are BS, they are thrown way out of whack by so many factors. Case in point: Yesterday morning I was 160 at 16% according to my scale, that night I was 165 and the same BF%, after a nice long bath I was 163 lbs lighter 13.5%. They're only useful if you use them at the same time every day and even then it's only a trend, not the actual number. Don't sweat it. Or actually DO sweat if you really need to see a low number :D

Don't succumb to FE's sweet succubus song, it's not too late to join me on team abs my xmas!

Yeah I know the machines are nonsense, I just wished they were reliable so I could keep track of progress (or lack thereof), I still have to do something extreme across some months to know whether that machine works or not, it's new and I've used it for 2 weeks only, if I do some serious cut for some months, I wonder what will it show.

oohh no, I won't succumb, I am about to do some serious changes in my diet, I liked it when I had some visible abs. It's not that hard to eat well, food with good nutritional values are very easy to spot, so I must have more of that and less bread...and less sweets and pastries.. (fuck germany and its backeries....)

and I've noticed I've neglected cardio a little too much... I used to comfortably jog at 9.5 mph and today I tried that after some months... and I really sweated it.... I think I will go "back to basics" in a certain way, I was a lot more diverses some months back, I'd do good cardio sessions, incorporate good bodyweight exercises and I've neglected that for months in favor of strength programs at the gym, which are fine and I see the benefits of it, but I kind miss the variety and the feel of it. I have to see how I mix things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom