• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

I workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Those are also the days I eat more calories.

If I miss today's workout do I eat the normal amount of calories I would on this day or eat a rest day amount?

Also should I make up the workout tomorrow or just wait till Wednesday?
Rest day amount, the only reason you eat more on workout days is because when you go to do the workouts, you're losing some calories so will need to make it by eating more food.

What machine? BIA machines are BS, they are thrown way out of whack by so many factors. Case in point: Yesterday morning I was 160 at 16% according to my scale, that night I was 165 and the same BF%, after a nice long bath I was 163 lbs lighter 13.5%. They're only useful if you use them at the same time every day and even then it's only a trend, not the actual number. Don't sweat it. Or actually DO sweat if you really need to see a low number :D

Don't succumb to FE's sweet succubus song, it's not too late to join me on team abs my xmas!

It is too goooooooooooood. Boo abs. Feel powerful! 3 month progress pics. 235 -> 258. Body fat: who knows

qFlKEKJ.jpg
9tWC1X1.jpg

tbh, I really don't see too much of a difference in these pics but people have told me that I am a bigger and my clothes are fitting tighter. Stronger as well. Maybe it all went to my legs. I guess I just wish there was more of a difference. Oh well. 3 more months to go!

Chocobro

Any alternative to Fitocracy, since it's ruined now?

I've been using JEFIT for the last 4 months, works well for me. Didn't bother try Fitocracy for too long after downloading it a few weeks ago so I can't make a comparison. Short list of things you can do:
1) Put together routines yourself or download routines made by other members
2) Have everything synced so you can view and change things on your computer
3) Has a resting timer between sets based on what is set in the routine made, can add notes during the workout
4) They recently added a workout summary telling you how long your workout is, how many PRs made, how much weight lifted, how much time you wasted, and a few more stuff. They're not stored though.
5) There are progress plots if that's your kind of thing (example with my squats)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It is too goooooooooooood. Boo abs. Feel powerful! 3 month progress pics. 235 -> 258. Body fat: who knows

tbh, I really don't see too much of a difference in these pics but people have told me that I am a bigger and my clothes are fitting tighter. Stronger as well. Maybe it all went to my legs. I guess I just wish there was more of a difference. Oh well. 3 more months to go!

Your forearms look great. Mirin brah.

Also that's you + 30 lbs roughly? I can't figure out where the fuck the 30 lbs went.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've been using JEFIT for the last 4 months, works well for me. Didn't bother try Fitocracy for too long after downloading it a few weeks ago so I can't make a comparison. Short list of things you can do:
1) Put together routines yourself or download routines made by other members
2) Have everything synced so you can view and change things on your computer
3) Has a resting timer between sets based on what is set in the routine made, can add notes during the workout
4) They recently added a workout summary telling you how long your workout is, how many PRs made, how much weight lifted, how much time you wasted, and a few more stuff. They're not stored though.
5) There are progress plots if that's your kind of thing (example with my squats)

Downloaded this months ago since someone mentioned it before. Have never used it but will def try it out now since yes fitocracy has been ass with the update.

Chocobro

Downloaded this months ago since someone mentioned it before. Have never used it but will def try it out now since yes fitocracy has been ass with the update.

It was most likely me back in OT5; I made a long post for someone who wanted an app to keep track of routines and stuff.

There's one thing I forgot to add in my earlier post; JEFIT has a database of exercises with how to do them, what muscles they work, and some other small info; you can of course add your own exercise if they don't have it. So putting together your routine is pretty easy.

One thing I wish every app has is a way to enter warm-up sets with a specific weight for each. My university's gym is in the basement and I would have to pre-load the SS warm-up set calculator via Google Spreadsheet on my phone to know how much to use.

Yeah I know the machines are nonsense, I just wished they were reliable so I could keep track of progress (or lack thereof), I still have to do something extreme across some months to know whether that machine works or not, it's new and I've used it for 2 weeks only, if I do some serious cut for some months, I wonder what will it show.

Well, skinfold measurements taken with calipers are reliable as a metric at least. The BF% results you get from calculations might not be completely accurate but if the measurements are going down you're losing fat. Although you seem to have pretty even fat distribution so the calculator results might good enough.

Away with ye, swole tempter! I shan't be swayed by your massive gains...wherever they're hiding! I have a hard time finding another 23 pounds from before to after. They couldn't possibly be in your back. I mean, nobody even knows if backs really exist since you can't see them ;D

I won't lie that it's disheartening to see all my lifts stagnating although I've started trying to eat more of my calories around workouts which seems to help a little. That and reminding myself that proportionally I'm stronger as I get leaner.

Well, skinfold measurements taken with calipers are reliable as a metric at least. The BF% results you get from calculations might not be completely accurate but if the measurements are going down you're losing fat. Although you seem to have pretty even fat distribution so the calculator results might good enough.

Away with ye, swole tempter! I shan't be swayed by your massive gains...wherever they're hiding! I have a hard time finding another 23 pounds from before to after. They couldn't possibly be in your back. I mean, nobody even knows if backs really exist since you can't see them ;D

I won't lie that it's disheartening to see all my lifts stagnating although I've started trying to eat more of my calories around workouts which seems to help a little. That and reminding myself that proportionally I'm stronger as I get leaner.

best i can do!

Yeah, I don't get it either. All my measurements are bigger (arms, calves, chest, legs, neck, stomach) but the pics don't really seem to translate that at all. *shrug*

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You look much bigger to me FE.

Question for everyone:

At the moment I DL twice a week on Tuesday and Friday. Tuesday is my 5x5 heavy day and Friday is higher reps at around 50-65% max where I work on my speed off the floor. Would it be beneficial to rotate regular DLs and sumos every week? By beneficial I mean would the sumos help my regular DLs? Or should I just stick to working on regulars twice a week? My ultimate goal is to get my max up 30 lbs to get the elusive 3x bw DL!

Chocobro

Hey everyone, I made a squat form check video [link] however it is longer than usual (3:23) because I recorded all three sets and I did my best to edit it together. You can skip through the video or just watch a set or two instead of sitting through the whole thing. It would be great if you guys can leave criticism!

I definitely could have went through the sets faster and I dunno if that's lower back rounding or pelvic tilting when I'm down in the hole. CanditoTrainingHQ said pelvic tilting is pretty unavoidable when going below parallel but lower back rounded is not good and is preventable.

strobogo

Banned
I started biking about a month and a half ago. It's a pretty shitty 12 year old Magna bike. Seat is too low and I can't raise it, brakes aren't great, but it works for me. I started easy doing around a 4 mile ride. I worked up to doing 20-30 mile rides regularly with little problem, even in fairly hilly (by Indiana standards) areas. But all of the sudden I can't even go 5 miles without being completely drained. I take days off between long rides, but now even a short ride kills me. It's like I have to completely start over and I have no idea what is going on. I don't have chest pains, I don't have leg pains, I just am totally zapped of energy no matter what I eat or drinking before or during the ride.

J. Bravo

Maybe you're sick. Could just be me on my mono kick. But that could be it. Take at least a week off and do nothing. That way if you're not sick and its just overtraining, you'll get better.

edit: oh yeah it could be the bike too LOL

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hurt my right hand :( my grip strength is now shot to shit, no doubt. gonna have some issues with...fucking everything. I don't wanna be Szu'd! NO HAND NO!

I started biking about a month and a half ago. It's a pretty shitty 12 year old Magna bike. Seat is too low and I can't raise it, brakes aren't great, but it works for me. I started easy doing around a 4 mile ride. I worked up to doing 20-30 mile rides regularly with little problem, even in fairly hilly (by Indiana standards) areas. But all of the sudden I can't even go 5 miles without being completely drained. I take days off between long rides, but now even a short ride kills me. It's like I have to completely start over and I have no idea what is going on. I don't have chest pains, I don't have leg pains, I just am totally zapped of energy no matter what I eat or drinking before or during the ride.

This happened to me a while back. Turned out my bike was shitty; one of the rear brakes got a bit bent inwards so it was constantly pressing against the tire. It was like biking with the brakes on 100% of the time. I'd suggest looking your bike over a bit and also maybe putting on some fresh oil and such. Just a random thought, anyway.

J. Bravo

Used mix grip and did my 275 on Deadlift easily. Moving my goal to try and hit 315 by years end and Ill be happy

If I can get 405 by years end, you should be able to get 315. at the end of this month I'll be going for 370x1+. If I get 5 reps like I'm expecting, week 3 of the last cycle of the year will have me going for 410x1+ lol. Just typing those numbers out gets me hyped.

Imm0rt4l

Michael Tuchscherer has the prettiest deadlifts. I can't believe I just typed that, but for cereal, his form is ace.

That weights he uses is fucking ridiculous too.

Cooter

If I can get 405 by years end, you should be able to get 315. at the end of this month I'll be going for 370x1+. If I get 5 reps like I'm expecting, week 3 of the last cycle of the year will have me going for 410x1+ lol. Just typing those numbers out gets me hyped.
How much do you weigh Qwark? I remember you saying you're a smaller version of me. How much smaller? 410 is no joke!

J. Bravo

How much do you weigh Qwark? I remember you saying you're a smaller version of me. How much smaller? 410 is no joke!

168-173 is where my weight hovers. Bout 6' tall. Lost a bunch of weight when I was sick, and am finding it difficult to gain it back. Trying to get to 185-190 ish.

Cooter

168-173 is where my weight hovers. Bout 6' tall. Lost a bunch of weight when I was sick, and am finding it difficult to gain it back. Trying to get to 185-190 ish.

Cool. Good luck with DL and the weight gain. Post that bad boy in here when you accomplish it!

sphinx

the piano man
So I decided to eat and not to think much about what has been going on with me as of lately and squat is back to 92.kg/203.5 lbs... next time is 97.5kg/214.5 lbs.. and then I am back to where I left.

on another topic, today we got CHAINS... my gym now has chains you can put around your neck for dips/pullups/etc. but they are fucking heavy, I still can't use them it's like it weights 20 pounds....

Cooter

So I decided to eat and not to think much about what has been going on with me as of lately and squat is back to 92.kg/203.5 lbs... next time is 97.5kg/214.5 lbs.. and then I am back to where I left.

on another topic, today we got CHAINS... my gym now has chains you can put around your neck for dips/pullups/etc. but they are fucking heavy, I still can't use them it's like it weights 20 pounds....

Chains are great to help your bench. Give them a shot.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Used mix grip and did my 275 on Deadlift easily. Moving my goal to try and hit 315 by years end and Ill be happy

This is my goal too. Well, 300, not 315. Really wanna be able to deadlift double my bodyweight.

Currently on week 3 of Madcow's 5x5, and still moving along nicely. Week 4 is when I start to break my PRs. Super excited.

Cooter

really? but how do I use them while benching? sorry for the noob question but I had no idea they could be used for that. people use them for dips/pullups mainly.
Attach them to the end of each side up against the last plate. As you bring it to your chest the weight becomes lighter because more chain is on the floor. As you press up it gets heavier. It helps. Trust me. Especially if you're having trouble half way through the movement.

sphinx

the piano man
Attach them to the end of each side up against the last plate. As you bring it to your chest the weight becomes lighter because more chain is on the floor. As you press up it gets heavier. It helps. Trust me. Especially if you're having trouble half way through the movement.

ooooohhhh.. mind blown, thanks!! will try,

the two ends of the chain seemed like they could fit somewhere... but never ocurred to me or saw anyone doing that.

can that be used on other barbell moves?

Cooter

ooooohhhh.. mind blown, thanks!! will try,

the two ends of the chain seemed like they could fit somewhere... but never ocurred to me or saw anyone doing that.

can that be used on other barbell moves?
Hell yeah they can! Let your imagination run wild!!

Daud

Neo Member
I forget who suggested this (maybe Noema?) but I've been doing front squats on my deadlift day; I following something along the "Triumverate" routine of assistance work as described in the 5/3/1 book.

With 5/3/1, there are a few suggested methods of doing assistance work (as mentioned, I follow Triumverate). There's one called Big But Boring (BBB) that basically suggests you follow up your 5/3/1 squats with a few more sets of lower weight squats.

So, you can absolutely add front squats or lower weight back squats to your routine. I've enjoyed having front squats on my deadlift day so it puts some separation between my back and front squats.

What I do in 531 is that on Mondays I follow regular 531 programming for squats and do either RDLs or Good Mornings for assistance, and then on Thursdays I do 3 sets of 5 with 80% of my max as volume work. That way get more volume and practice on squats which helps drive progress since I don't feel the 531 work is enough for me. I do something similar with bench: 531 programming on Tuesdays, 5 sets of 5 Close Grip Bench with 80% of my max on Fridays after OHP.

Thanks guys, I'll probably try to add low-intensity squats on my deadlift day and see how that goes. Maybe even do them before my 5/3/1 deadlifts, as a warm up, I'll see.

Meanwhile, hit 100 pounds at the power clean today. Time for a form check (available in 1080p, no less ;)):

Also, BEARD.

J. Bravo

Cool. Good luck with DL and the weight gain. Post that bad boy in here when you accomplish it!

thanks man. I definitely will.

I got 140 for 4 today on OHP. goal is tested 1rm of my bodyweight. and tomorrow I'm going to have to deadlift early in the morning because I'm having surgery at 1pm lol. Should be interesting.

strobogo

Banned
This happened to me a while back. Turned out my bike was shitty; one of the rear brakes got a bit bent inwards so it was constantly pressing against the tire. It was like biking with the brakes on 100% of the time. I'd suggest looking your bike over a bit and also maybe putting on some fresh oil and such. Just a random thought, anyway.

I checked the brakes on both sides. I don't think that is the issue.

Maybe you're sick. Could just be me on my mono kick. But that could be it. Take at least a week off and do nothing. That way if you're not sick and its just overtraining, you'll get better.

edit: oh yeah it could be the bike too LOL

Bike is shitty, but I haven't had problems yet. I have had some sinus/allergy problems, but I guess I'll take a few days off and see how I am. I'm afraid of taking time off because I'm the kind of person that will give up if I don't do it every day/every other day.

spootime

Thanks guys, I'll probably try to add low-intensity squats on my deadlift day and see how that goes. Maybe even do them before my 5/3/1 deadlifts, as a warm up, I'll see.

Meanwhile, hit 100 pounds at the power clean today. Time for a form check (available in 1080p, no less ;)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGsnLalIpbI

Also, BEARD.

I don't feel too qualified to give advice on power cleans as my form isn't great but it seems like youre pausing at your knees and then pulling it up. The lift should be an explosive movement and you should be ripping it off the floor. Also your elbows are too low. Here's a video of a klokov clean in slow mo http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJptd1F-T8 see how explosive he is? Also his elbows /arms are pretty much perpendicular to his torso. If you keep your elbows low you're going to put way too much stress on your wrists.

Imm0rt4l

went on a little vacation to minnesota and I'm back home now. Haven't been to the gym in 6 days. I'll probably kickstart this comeback with a leg day, hope to set a pr for reps.

Yeah I took an involuntary week off squats and came back and did more weight than I ever have for reps before on Monday and I am pretty sore today. It seems like when I take time off the second day is always worse.

Also got this in the mail today.

"Hello Jim,

An updated version of your past Kindle purchase of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is now available.

The updated version contains the following changes:
Significant editorial changes have been made."

Anybody know of a way to see just the changes without having to read through and find what's different?

It's funny, everyone I talk to always complains like an old man about how weak they get if they skip a few days, but I also tend to do a bit better performance-wise and a million times worse DOMS-wise. One lousy week skipped and after the first squat day back I thought my pelvis was just gonna fall out.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I transitioned over to low-bar squats no more than a week ago and already my ass has grown noticeably. Almost unbelievably fast, to be honest.

Wish that kinda growth extended to my arms, chest, back, legs, etc.

i done goofed up and tweaked my back deadlifting 280 yesterday. did 3 reps with no problem then on the 4th, i reset a little bit and didn't go up proper. was hoping to go past 300, maybe 315 by the new year but that's not gonna happen now. this whomps, back feels exactly how it did when i threw it out in january while moving my apartment.

i'm gonna switch to light deadlifting for 10 reps or so when i can get back to it, i don't have insurance so i'm going to keep away from heavy 5 rep sets for a while. besides, i noticed days where i did 10 rep sets my core got sore as fuck anyway. so it'll probably benefit my core more working with lower weights and making sure my form is more consistent. but it's gonna be a while before i can do any of them i'm sure. stinks because i only started them at the end of summer and i didn't have any trouble going up every time i did them from my starting point of 205 around september

sucks cause i threw it out before squats, and not doing squats irritates me more. if i can get back to them within a week i think i'll be able to pick up where i stopped, but longer and it ain't gonna be good. i definitely wouldn't do them with my back hurting as it does now, too much of a recipe for disaster. doing skullcrushers hurt alot after too as lying on my back was irritating. i guess i'll be doing lots of curls, calf raises, whatever i can fit in that doesn't involve hurting my back for at least a week or two :(

GODDAMN YOU FITNESS GHOST!

Overhead press: failed.
Power cleans: failed.

I got a crick in my neck and it's supremely pisssing me off. Every time I turn my head to the right it stings in pain.

I only managed to complete squats and weighted sit ups tonight...

GODDAMN YOU FITNESS GHOST!

Overhead press: failed.
Power cleans: failed.

I got a crick in my neck and it's supremely pisssing me off. Every time I turn my head to the right it stings in pain.

I only managed to complete squats and weighted sit ups tonight...

did u sleep on it funny. i have to make a conscious effort to sleep on my back and not on my side or anything goofy otherwise i wake up with that kinda neck pain, or i'll lie on my side and make my arm sore or other stupid shit. annoying bc i swear i used to be able to sleep on my side fine but not anymore. and i'm naturally flip-floppy at night so i really have to slap myself and make sure i stay on my back ha.

sphinx

the piano man
I transitioned over to low-bar squats no more than a week ago and already my ass has grown noticeably. Almost unbelievably fast, to be honest.

Wish that kinda growth extended to my arms, chest, back, legs, etc.

one thing that is a constant among gym goers is the big strong ass and traps, I am not sure why or how but they just explode with compounds.

the irony is that glutes is probably the least important area for most guys yet many women would kill for asses like that.

You look much bigger to me FE.

Question for everyone:

At the moment I DL twice a week on Tuesday and Friday. Tuesday is my 5x5 heavy day and Friday is higher reps at around 50-65% max where I work on my speed off the floor. Would it be beneficial to rotate regular DLs and sumos every week? By beneficial I mean would the sumos help my regular DLs? Or should I just stick to working on regulars twice a week? My ultimate goal is to get my max up 30 lbs to get the elusive 3x bw DL!

Thanks dood. I swear, my body makes no sense at all.

And as for your question, I highly suggest the Magnusson/Ortmayer Deadlift program. Good stuff there.

one thing that is a constant among gym goers is the big strong ass and traps, I am not sure why or how but they just explode with compounds.

the irony is that glutes is probably the least important area for most guys yet many women would kill for asses like that.

I'm not so sure about that. Guys may think that but i think it's actually pretty important for how good a guy looks particularly wearing things like jeans.

You guys may recall I thought I had a minor hernia last week after a day of dead lifts, front squats, and leg press. Went to my doc to be safe and she said I have no hernia and I have two choices: give up heavy weight training or don't give it up. Either was acceptable in her opinion.

Well, I've gone through over a week of 5/3/1 since then and have been totally OK. Obviously, I chose to keep on weightlifting.

Y'all can call me the Ghostbuster. FitGhost can fuck off!

Related to the above posts, my fiancee loves my ass. It inspired her to start squatting and deadlifting actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom