• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thank you cooter! :)

Im really honored to get advice and confirmation from you or any of the fitness vets of swole gaf. I always appreciate your guidance and input dude!

Anytime! It's not always easy to achieve your long-term goals. You are well on your way.

Btw guys, I have a question:

I'm considering including boxing in my schedule next year. Does any of you have any experience, advice, whether or not it is a good idea, how to incorporate it or if it's realistic?

I'm not sure how I should include it when I'll already be doing 5/3/1, and sprints.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Btw guys, I have a question:

I'm considering including boxing in my schedule next year. Does any of you have any experience, advice, whether or not it is a good idea, how to incorporate it or if it's realistic?

I'm not sure how I should include it when I'll already be doing 5/3/1, and sprints.

Google 5/3/1 MMA or fighting. I'm 99% sure Wendler made a template for it.

J. Bravo

Did something that probably wasn't the smartest thing I could have done but it paid off.

I'm in the middle of my shift at work (I work at a gym), and I see Vashon Perryman, wr holder in the deadlift and squat, pulling 405 for an easy 10 reps. I walk up, no warm up, in my work clothes, wearing shoes, and set up to pull it. Now, idk if having an audience, or having just seen Vashon pull it easily increased my strength, but I got it for 1 pretty easily. Definitely could have done a few more, but gotta save myself for Friday, where I am not sure how much I'll do.

tl;Dr: pulled 405 for 1, could have gotten more, but saving myself for Friday. Scheduled to do 370 for 1, probably go for 405 again instead.

so I hit my goal of 405 by years end more than a month ahead of schedule, and only a few days after minor leg surgery lol.

Chocobro

Last thing, I may need to re-learn the power clean entirely. My gym doesn't have any bumper plates so does anybody have advice on learning the power clean at lighter loads from the proper height off the floor?

Stack up plates until the bar is at the appropriate height. I need to find that Mark Rippetoe video that was posted a few pages back :lol

stn

I'm a beginner to all this and I gotta say, chinups are the hardest thing for me. I've learned the form for nearly every exercise, have always completed my sets properly. But chinups? I got a more intense workout doing 5 chinups than a whole hour of what I usually do.

I need to work on my core.

Noema

Claims natty. Adam Charlton

tumblr_mn0o2mZ9Jo1rkfg4wo1_500.jpg

Natty my ass.

Imm0rt4l

I'm incredulous. How much does he weigh? You can be big, you can be shredded, but you can't be big AND shredded. He's frauding, not Mike O'hearn or Kali muscle(lol) frauding, but frauding all the same. Amazing physique though.

He's one of those Instagram fitness dudes that had a huge following and he claims that he's natural, when it's quite obvious he's a walking chemical experiment. Now I don't have any issue when anyone takes roids, I just have an issue when guys like him claim that they are "natural" and gives false hope to many aspiring people out there that want to change their lives, giving them false hope when they can't achieve that with hardwork and diet only.

I don't believe he's natty for a second, if you read a lot of BB.com posts he's a gigantic troll. NOt that it means much.

I've been a huge fan of his for years though. Wish I could pull off being that ripped/big 24/7.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
#foreverbulk

I wish....Upped my calories today. Still 185...

Actually managed to work out first time in 2+ weeks I think...up to 528x5 rack pulls, cgbp and some squats. Need to get some rubber cow stall mats because squatting on carpet is brutal and dangerous...I thought I blew my knee out yesterday trying warm up squats and gave up but I got it done today.

I'm thinking of a gym membership but I don't think I can drop weights at these prissy gyms...

Can't do BB rows anymore since I'm on the second floor of an apartment... :'(

I might have to make a doctors appointment for my foot if I continue to have.. discomfort while walking. About two weeks ago I started noticing it on my left foot the day after press/DL day. It doesn't really hurt outside of walking. Squatting/DL/Press feels fine in the foot too. It's just walking seems to irritate the outside area of my left foot.

I'm not real concerned about it, but would rather it not evolve into a larger issue.

J. Bravo

I might have to make a doctors appointment for my foot if I continue to have.. discomfort while walking. About two weeks ago I started noticing it on my left foot the day after press/DL day. It doesn't really hurt outside of walking. Squatting/DL/Press feels fine in the foot too. It's just walking seems to irritate the outside area of my left foot.

I'm not real concerned about it, but would rather it not evolve into a larger issue.
better shoes will help. Maybe get some inserts.

so today I pulled 405 and then benched 210 for three. Was gonna do arms but I just wanna drink some protein and eat some food and sleep. Freaking exhausted.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Progress update, I apologise in advance if it seems kinda NSFW:

This is me now.

This is me approx. 6 months ago:

Be careful with the bulk, man. That's some serious fat gain along with the muscle; from healthy to obese. Can be hard to lose once you put it on, and you can have loose skin and so forth. I wouldn't recommend going any further than you have.

Be careful with the bulk, man. That's some serious fat gain along with the muscle; from healthy to obese. Can be hard to lose once you put it on, and you can have loose skin and so forth. I wouldn't recommend going any further than you have.

yeah I know, I'm definitely reaching the limit for a bulk. I've already started to gradually lower my fat intake. I'm taking you on your recommendation.

EDIT: You can believe me or not, but I used to be way more fatter prior to my skinny period.

better shoes will help. Maybe get some inserts.

so today I pulled 405 and then benched 210 for three. Was gonna do arms but I just wanna drink some protein and eat some food and sleep. Freaking exhausted.

That's probably part of it. I lift barefoot which is fine, but my work shoes have absolutely zero padding left.

Cudder

So guys, just to be clear. High top Chuck Taylor's are okay for lifting (squats, deads)? Or should I go for the ankle cut version? Getting a pair soon as my current workout shoes are garbage.

I wish....Upped my calories today. Still 185...

Actually managed to work out first time in 2+ weeks I think...up to 528x5 rack pulls, cgbp and some squats. Need to get some rubber cow stall mats because squatting on carpet is brutal and dangerous...I thought I blew my knee out yesterday trying warm up squats and gave up but I got it done today.

I'm thinking of a gym membership but I don't think I can drop weights at these prissy gyms...

Can't do BB rows anymore since I'm on the second floor of an apartment... :'(

Depends on where you go. The 24 Hour I lift at have no problem with me dropping weights as a lot of their trainers and heavy lifters do the same.

I want to do some rack pulls but I always feel funny doing them. My ROM and form is wack.

blackflag

That's some poor programming but if you're happy with the results I can't hate.

I think it's pretty good if your goal is size.

I'm switching to something like this for a bit as an experiment. Ronnie Coleman said he never got big powerlifting and not until doing like constant 12 rep sets did he get big.

I don't totally believe that because I sure got pretty big but I just want to see what happens and if I notice any major changes.

Just curious really.

Imm0rt4l

My biggest fear. how can I avoid that?
Just don't use suicide grip
Good god, why did I click that :( And those were some bad spotters.

Ouch, but relatively tame compared to some other heavy bench press accidents.
Yea, that one from several months ago where a guy died was worse, It was less weight iirc, but he was a smaller guy and one spotter pretty much did nothing.
nope nope nope I'm not clicking on this

You stay with the terrifying videos! And I continue to click them and fuel my paranoia, why do you do this to me!

cats drops weight on they chest erryday b, *eats chips. You'll be aight.

Fonz72

What I learned today:

chiropractors are a scam meant to make you keep visiting them for their alternative medicine for the rest of your life.

So who should I see for help with my back issue?

I was in this camp once too. Most chiropractors are quacks, but if you find a good clinic it will change your life. I found a very very good doc in my area that is pretty straight with no nonsense if you make it clear you are not interested.

I go in for an adjustment once every 4 weeks and it is amazing. I have problems with my hips being out of alignment. After my first session running felt better than it ever had. At first I went 3 times a week for a couple weeks then 2 > 1 a week > Every other week > Every 3 weeks> Once a month.

I sleep better, move better and over all just feel better.

I was very clear that I wasn't interested in the lifestyle crap, all I wanted was everything put back in it's place.

Edit: My Co-pay is only $25 which makes it much easier to swallow.

So for various curling exercises, I'm going to try to "hold" the contraction and squeeze my biceps at the top of the motion before going back down and repeating the ROM. This may come off as bro-sciencey but Arnold did and a lot of the bigger guys at the gym do the same thing. Figured I try it out for a month or so to see if I notice a difference.

Petrie

Banned
I was in this camp once too. Most chiropractors are quacks, but if you find a good clinic it will change your life. I found a very very good doc in my area that is pretty straight with no nonsense if you make it clear you are not interested.

I go in for an adjustment once every 4 weeks and it is amazing. I have problems with my hips being out of alignment. After my first session running felt better than it ever had. At first I went 3 times a week for a couple weeks then 2 > 1 a week > Every other week > Every 3 weeks> Once a month.

I sleep better, move better and over all just feel better.

I was very clear that I wasn't interested in the lifestyle crap, all I wanted was everything put back in it's place.

Edit: My Co-pay is only $25 which makes it much easier to swallow.

Yeah this guy wanted 3-4 visits before he'd do anything. Not looking to get scammed, you know?

J. Bravo

Yeah this guy wanted 3-4 visits before he'd do anything. Not looking to get scammed, you know?

that sucks man. too bad you don't live near me, I'd hook you up with the best chiropractor I've ever had.
the service is pretty legit imo, I feel way bettter every time I go, and I feel like it's helped me get stronger.

Fonz72

Indeed.

I talked a good friend into going and he went to someone local instead of the dude I suggested and it was a disaster. He had a shoulder out of alignment and after 3-4 visits with acupuncture his shoulder was still out of alignment and he was $100 in the hole. A pretty bad experience.

Keep checking around, don't discount the practice because of a bad practitioner.

sphinx

the piano man
well dear friends, I bid farewell to bulk-GAF, I started some days ago eating more conscious, less sweets and trying to get rid of all the bread, going for truly nutritious stuff trying to follow my numbers aiming to reach a caloric deficit

and I also increased my cardio A LOT.

I am kind of thrilled about what's gonna happen, I really reached a point where in every single progress pic I took, I was fat. Yes I looked like "a man"... manly traps, chest, and back (arms are abscent as always) but otherwise I looked awful, like a 45 year old. it is time to shake things up.

since I can't spot reduce fat, everything will go down, not just the lovehandles. Oh well... can't have everything in life. but I want to give it a try, if I don't like the results or don't see improvement, then is back to bulk, no problems.

Just don't use suicide grip

you mean thumbless, right? (I will NOT click that video)

just today I say a guy benching double his weight with a thumbless grip....I can't believe those people are still among us. How they haven't killed themselves, I really don't know.

well dear friends, I bid farewell to bulk-GAF, I started some days ago eating more conscious, less sweets and trying to get rid of all the bread, going for truly nutritious stuff trying to follow my numbers aiming to reach a caloric deficit

and I also increased my cardio A LOT.

I am kind of thrilled about what's gonna happen, I really reached a point where in every single progress pic I took, I was fat. Yes I looked like "a man"... manly traps, chest, and back (arms are abscent as always) but otherwise I looked awful, like a 45 year old. it is time to shake things up.

since I can't spot reduce fat, everything will go down, not just the lovehandles. Oh well... can't have everything in life. but I want to give it a try, if I don't like the results or don't see improvement, then is back to bulk, no problems.

After further consideration I think I'm gonna do something similiar.

I'm gonna start cutting in December. Evilore made a good point and going further could overcomplicate this bulk.

Next week I'm gonna begin the 5/3/1 routine and walk everyday from school as a light warm up cardio for sprinting, plus cutting back on foods with high fat, and going 40/30/30 on the protein...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom