• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying not to bulk too heavy because i don't really want to have to go on a big cut at the end. It may stall my progress a little but i don't really mind. I'm trying to just stay consistent in the middle, i have to do a lot of cardio for my sport so it's hard not to anyway.

how da fuq do you handle that? I think if I tried to start with 350 today, my spine would explode...

luckily, having holes in your tibia doesn't impede deadlifting by much, so I got 5 reps of it. pretty happy with that effort, next week gotta get 370 for 1...lol

You don't START with the heavy set, I still warm up to it, just not with full prescribed sets. I do them after. Of course, I don't have holes in my tibias but you seem to be just fine, lol

So I'm on the road for work this week and the gym my hotel gives passes to is kinda rinky-dink, awesome sports facilities but the weight room feels like this weird combo of awesome and afterthought. Three power racks on big deadlifting platforms, but no dedicated bench press benches or anything else. One assisted pullup/dip station and no belt, but a glute-ham raise machine (which I cannot WEIGHT to try out).

Thursday is deadlifts, to be followed by an epic sushi refeed. Gotta re-initialize the hormones and keep the cut cutting (@160, 2-pack and minor cuts in the legs visible under the right light and phase of the moon).

Add me on Steam! Spiritreaver

*crickets*

If you get a FR from TheFightingFish that's me. Having too much fun with my PC to worry about next-gen consoles.

Ohh, and to attempt to stay on topic, my wife really wanted to try out one of those home cardio programs, so I picked up T25 with my companies fitness benefit cash. Honestly I was pretty impressed (never done any fitness DVD type of stuff before). It's obviously all just cardio and not really any muscle building, but I'm in solid shape and I found it to be pretty tiring at times. Might use it to replace some of my trail running cardio since long wet Seattle winters are killing my desire to hit the woods.

TopDreg

Damn it, the PS4 will eventually be mine. Or the Wii U first. Tough.

I've also begun cutting... the gains will have to take a small break.

After further consideration I think I'm gonna do something similiar.

I'm gonna start cutting in December. Evilore made a good point and going further could overcomplicate this bulk.

Next week I'm gonna begin the 5/3/1 routine and walk everyday from school as a light warm up cardio for sprinting, plus cutting back on foods with high fat, and going 40/30/30 on the protein...

have you stalled multiple times on SS though? i wouldn't advise straying from SS until you've run it dry like the mohave

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Question: on rest days, should I be eating more protein or carbs or fats, or does that not matter?

Husker86

So back in June I broke my ankle and back...luckily both injuries should heal back to normal over time. Anyway, ankle is pretty much good now, but my back (L4 vertebra burst fracture with hardware linking L3-L5) is pretty much preventing me from squatting. It hurts at maybe 90 pounds (was doing 260 for last set before accident). Probably going to have another surgery next year to get the back hardware taken out.

I'm sure eventually I will be able to squat again, but in the meantime...is my only option a leg press machine or something? I have a decent setup at home but nothing like that. I have a bench/squat rack, dumbbells, pull-up/dip station, treadmill.

I just got back working out about a month ago and feel shitty that I can't really do any lower body/back workouts besides bodyweight squats. On the plus side, I am pretty much back to benching what I was before the accident.

J. Bravo

The leg press and leg extension/leg curl machines are your best friends. And maybe flute ham raises if you can do so. Those will help keep your back strong.

Husker86

The leg press and leg extension/leg curl machines are your best friends. And maybe flute ham raises if you can do so. Those will help keep your back strong.

Guess I'll have to expand my home gym!

A very long time ago I was told that leg extension machines are bad for you knees; is this true?

edit: ooohh..just remembered my bench has a shitty leg extension attachment that I took off a while ago. I'll see if I can make do with that.

J. Bravo

A very long time ago I was told that leg extension machines are bad for you knees; is this true?

oh wow i didn't even read that you have a home gym. bulgarian split squats, lunges, goblet squats, and glute ham raises.

also i don't know about leg extensions being bad for your knees, i've never had any issue.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Isn't the leg press supposed to be really bad for back?

J. Bravo

Isn't the leg press supposed to be really bad for back?

no clue. all I know is that i've talked to guys who have injured backs and they all say they do the leg press because their back hurts. it's always seemed counter intuitive to me because you're putting a ton of pressure on your back. leg press just seems like an awkward machine to me anyways.

So for my engineering term project I attached a bunch of electrodes to my quads and gathered muscle activation data. I decided to do this because I've had some symptoms of patellar tracking disorder and wanted to see if I could learn shit about it in a hands-on way.

I gathered data a couple weeks ago and am doing analysis now. So far it's actually working. I'm looking at the 3 heads of the quad that are on the surface (since I'm not qualified to cut myself open to do internal electrodes) and I can see the VM activating as hard as it can and basically maxing out while the other parts consistently activate more and more as loading increases.

Now for data anaylsis part 2: meaningful exercise tips. Gotta figure out what this shit means

have you stalled multiple times on SS though? i wouldn't advise straying from SS until you've run it dry like the mohave

I'm feeling like I'm beginning to reach my limitations, yes.

besides I don't want to risk getting too much fat to work off (I got alot already). I've been bulking for 6 months straight. Reasonably speaking that's actually been a very long period. It's time to change course and focus on my overall health.

I've changed my plan. I'm starting 5/3/1 in December. It's only one month earlier than I planned anyway, and it probably also be more beneficial for me in the long run.

Petrie

Banned
Indeed.

I talked a good friend into going and he went to someone local instead of the dude I suggested and it was a disaster. He had a shoulder out of alignment and after 3-4 visits with acupuncture his shoulder was still out of alignment and he was $100 in the hole. A pretty bad experience.

Keep checking around, don't discount the practice because of a bad practitioner.

I'm just not sure how to find a good one, as nobody I know sees one. If any FitGAFers know a good one in the Syracuse, NY area please let me know!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

edit: ooohh..just remembered my bench has a shitty leg extension attachment that I took off a while ago. I'll see if I can make do with that.
I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't link to it but Jason Blaha has a video about leg extensions and he says that no other exercise puts as much strain and torque on your knees as leg extensions. He explains it we'll enough that I don't do them anymore.

Szu

imma buy a wii u!

and #foreverbulk until February where I will start my cut.

Tanahashi mode, let's go.

That's my goal too, my wife and I are holding off for now. We've got bigger things coming up in the next few months that need our attention.

Another reason my only gaming contributions in the past year has been playing with my 3DS on the subway and on the can.

I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't link to it but Jason Blaha has a video about leg extensions and he says that no other exercise puts as much strain and torque on your knees as leg extensions. He explains it we'll enough that I don't do them anymore.

Tried to find the video but I cannot. Please share it whenever you get a chance. I've always felt that leg extensions were bad due to the leverage placed on your knees but never have found evidence to back up my theory.

velociraptor

GAF, please clear up my paranoia.

I am in the hospital for 3 days. Won't really have much protein I imagine besides 100g and can't do any exercise (they barely give us many meals. Only breakfast, lunch, dinner, lol). I've got a cannula in my left hand and I'm effectively stuck here. I'll be sitting down... all day.... for three days.

Will I lose my gains? I feel really flat.

I am in the hospital for 3 days. Won't really have much protein I imagine besides 100g and can't do any exercise (they barely give us many meals. Only breakfast, lunch, dinner, lol). I've got a cannula in my left hand and I'm effectively stuck here. I'll be sitting down... all day.... for three days.

3 days rest is nothing to worry about. You might feel a bit lethargic by the time you get back to the gym since you're basically stuck in bed for 3 days straight, but it's unlikely you'll see significant losses.

Petrie

Banned

I've been out for 3 weeks. It'll take a week to get back where I was. You'll be fine.

_Isaac

Oh man. The squat just feels impossible to me. No matter what I do and how much rest I take or how much stretching or warming up I do it always hurts my hips. I can't do it alone anymore. Clearly I have no idea what my body is doing so I think I'll have to just see what a trainer will offer me. It just kinda sucks because I feel like my whole body is always injured. I feel way less athletic now than I ever have. I just have to remember to stay positive. I see some of you guys dealing with injuries more gracefully so I just gotta keep looking forward.

Addi

Fit not Thin is really becoming a trend for girls here in Norway and today I couldn't believe my eyes. The squat racks and deadlift area was completely occupied by 10-12 fit girls (some of the bench presses too). Three-four years ago there was a clear separation between guys lifting stuff trying to be alpha as fuck and girls on elliptical machines and going to spinning classes, but now there are almost more girls in the free weight area than guys. I love it.

_Isaac

Fit not Thin is really becoming a trend for girls here in Norway and today I couldn't believe my eyes. The squat racks and deadlift area was completely occupied by 10-12 fit girls (some of the bench presses too). Three-four years ago there was a clear separation between guys lifting stuff trying to be alpha as fuck and girls on elliptical machines and going to spinning classes, but now there are almost more girls in the free weight area than guys. I love it.
Yep it's almost always short fit ethnically ambiguous girls who try to correct my form.

Imm0rt4l

I've been drinking too much whole milk lately. Had some 2% milk today and was like "wtf is this shit". I've never had skim milk, but the though of it grosses me out now.

vanilla almond milk>>>>

Cudder

I'm up to 270x5 on squats now, and rising. I think that's great considering not too long ago I posted a single 295lb squat as my PR. This linear progression I'm on has me breaking all kinds of PR's.

This sounds great, but also a nightmare. My gym only has 2 squat racks and they're pretty full as is, if more people were in there I'd go crazy.

iddqd

Pics or it did not happen!
(good for you)

Deadlifts are the GOAT exercise. I love doing it so much that I do 7/8 sets AND do 5 sets of Sumo lifts later in my sesh.

Completing a set of deads is a better feeling than sex. Srs

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm going through a fitness valley right now FitGaf. Everything is boring. Unless I commit to putting on some mass I'm pretty much maxed out for a 185lb guy. They only goal I have in the coming months is a 3x bw deadlift and I'm pretty sure I can do that relatively soon. It may have something to do with my marital problems and the uncertainty of the future but motivation is hard to find at the moment. Or maybe it's because my Niners are horse shit now! Ha

*End of rant

Nelo Ice

Banned

I suddenly want to go to Norway now.

genjiZERO

Creatine questions:

Is there any difference between the types of creatine?

Does one type lead to less water weight than another?

If you get to a weight/strength/fitness you like and want to maintain can/should you go off creatine?

How hard is it to lose the water weight once off?

Creatine questions:

Is there any difference between the types of creatine?

Does one type lead to less water weight than another?

If you get to a weight/strength/fitness you like and want to maintain can/should you go off creatine?

How hard is it to lose the water weight once off?

1) There are minor differences between the types, but really, just get creatine monohydrate. It's the most well studied and it works.

2) I'm not sure.

3) I think you could go off of creatine and be totally fine if you just want to maintain your current routine. Hell, you could still progress (albeit at a slower rate) if you stopped taking creatine. Probably depends on the individual to what degree it will slow down your progress.

4) In my experience, I gained and lost the water weight in roughly he same amount of time. It took me about 2 weeks to put on 3-4 lbs after taking creatine and changing nothing else, and I lost about that same amount within 2 weeks after switching off of creatine. Probably again varies on the individual, but it shouldn't take more than a few weeks is my understanding.

Szu

I'm going through a fitness valley right now FitGaf. Everything is boring. Unless I commit to putting on some mass I'm pretty much maxed out for a 185lb guy. They only goal I have in the coming months is a 3x bw deadlift and I'm pretty sure I can do that relatively soon. It may have something to do with my marital problems and the uncertainty of the future but motivation is hard to find at the moment. Or maybe it's because my Niners are horse shit now! Ha

*End of rant

Cooter, there's a lot on your mind right now, but take it day by day.

Hey, look at it this way, if you invert the Niner's record, then you get the record of my Giants. :p

SeanR1221

Between dat ps4 and a huge presentation I'm giving tomorrow my head hasn't been in the game either. Gotta get back on track this weekend.

Actually I'm gonna squat before suiting up and heading into the city tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom