• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally gave sumo deads a spin. They definitely feel different, definitely more of a hip dominant movement. Also went ham on my back. Paying for it tonight.

So i've been trying to actually film and record my form (no idea how to upload which makes things hard). I think my main problem with the main compound lifts is that i have a bit of buttwink when doing deep squats. I don't think it's a matter of lifting too heavy as it looks exactly the same when i do body weight squats.

I'm thinking it's a flexibility issue which in general i'm working on (adding some yoga/pilates to my workouts) but any extra tips would be appreciated.

SeanR1221

My routine:

Monday: Chest/Biceps
4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8

Tuesday: Legs/Calves
4 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lunges 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Press 8-10 reps
3 sets of Leg Extensions till failure
3 sets of Leg Curls 8-10 reps
3 sets of Caves Raises til failure

Wednesday: Back

3 sets of Lat Pulldowns 8-10 reps
4 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Bent Over Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Dumbell Rows 8-10 reps
3 sets of Hyperextensions 8-10 reps

Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps
4 sets of Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-10 reps
3 sets of Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of front raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
3 sets of Close-Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps
4 sets of Pulldowns 8-10 reps
3 sets of Skullcrushers 8-10 reps

Saturday: Full Body
3 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
3 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
3 sets of Clean and Jerk 8-10 reps
3 sets of Weighted Pull ups 8-10 reps

Also tried intermittent fasting (google it) to cut down my bodyfat %

That's some poor programming but if you're happy with the results I can't hate.

Still pretty beginner, but I got up to a plate on bench yesterday (135 lb, goal #1). Feels good man. Not sure what to set my next goal at. Maybe 155 lbs.

It's awesome keeping a gym log and seeing progress. It's like an RPG. :lol

sphinx

the piano man

I am not sure what opinion I have on his routine.

It really resembles several bodybuilding routines I have seen in the internet. aka, use a lot of machines/moves jumping from one place to the other, with relatively high reps/ low weights, 3 instead of 4 sets. It looks like a 100% BB oriented routine to me. which doesn't have to be a bad thing per se....

on the plus side, he does include compounds. and there are dips, pullups, bent over rows and leg exercises, he covers the main assistance moves, so that's good in my book.

from a strength perspective, I personally believe is awful, but strength doesn't seem to be a goal of his so it's o.k I guess. Not sure about the "til failure" thing though, either way..

Still pretty beginner, but I got up to a plate on bench yesterday (135 lb, goal #1). Feels good man. Not sure what to set my next goal at. Maybe 155 lbs.

It's awesome keeping a gym log and seeing progress. It's like an RPG. :lol

I'm right there with ya brah. It feels great when you breach personal records and pre-set challenges. The sense of accomplishment is totally fulfilling.

Gotta reach that godly lv. 100 like Brolic, Cooter, immortal, petrie and Sean :p.

SeanR1221

I am not sure what opinion I have on his routine.

It really resembles several bodybuilding routines I have seen in the internet. aka, use a lot of machines/moves jumping from one place to the other, with relatively high reps/ low weights, 3 instead of 4 sets. It looks like a 100% BB oriented routine to me. which doesn't have to be a bad thing per se....

on the plus side, he does include compounds. and there are dips, pullups, bent over rows and leg exercises, he covers the main assistance moves, so that's good in my book.

from a strength perspective, I personally believe is awful, but strength doesn't seem to be a goal of his so it's o.k I guess. Not sure about the "til failure" thing though, either way..

I like to think of things in a way Brolic put it once. Every thing you do should have a purpose. If you're doing it "just because" there's probably something else you could be doing to train smarter to reach your goal/s.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
His routine looks fine to me, even the to failure stuff so long as this is just a BB routine he has actual progression built in and the failure stuff is executed correctly. There is definitely still room for lots of improvement, but it's not terrible.

However, I wouldn't roll into a thread brand spanking new with mostly an untrained looking body bragging while slyly playing yourself down to give yourself credibility then posting pictures that make you look relatively untrained.

His post comes off that way to me,(a brag post), and his "google it" comment is cringeworthy to me and shows he's not even been in this thread long.

So my main issue isn't the program he's using. It's how he comes off as someone to be emulated while not standing out at all and looking relatively untrained.
I would also wait for people to ask you what your routine was unless you're asking for advice. That also adds to the whole "brag" issue. No one asked, it's not a "good" routine and to be quite honest, there's many people here with that body type pulling it off a lot better. Petrie and Sphinx come to mind immediately.

With all of that said, I'm glad to see a new face in here and will probably fit in just fine. And maybe one day he will turn into Darth with he right guidance.

It's been working for me, but why do you think it's poor?

His routine looks fine to me, even the to failure stuff so long as this is just a BB routine he has actual progression built in and the failure stuff is executed correctly. There is definitely still room for lots of improvement, but it's not terrible.

However, I wouldn't roll into a thread brand spanking new with mostly an untrained looking body bragging while slyly playing yourself down to give yourself credibility then posting pictures that make you look relatively untrained.

His post comes off that way to me,(a brag post), and his "google it" comment is cringeworthy to me and shows he's not even been in this thread long.

So my main issue isn't the program he's using. It's how he comes off as someone to be emulated while not standing out at all and looking relatively untrained.
I would also wait for people to ask you what your routine was unless you're asking for advice. That also adds to the whole "brag" issue. No one asked, it's not a "good" routine and to be quite honest, there's many people here with that body type pulling it off a lot better. Petrie and Sphinx come to mind immediately.

With all of that said, I'm glad to see a new face in here and will probably fit in just fine. And maybe one day he will turn into Darth with he right guidance.

Lol, I didnt know you guys were so serious here. I'll remove it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's been working for me, but why do you think it's poor?

Lol, I didnt know you guys were so serious here. I'll remove it

He's probably saying its poor because for someone of your training level a simple linear progression routine would probably work best. In your post there's no sense of progression whatsoever or what/why you're doing what you're doing. Or if you even understand what you're doing. That said not everyone "needs" that. I didn't follow a routine for the first 2 years I trained, but that most definitely held me back. Second was understanding what I was doing why I was doing it and if it was helping me reach specific goals. If it didn't I removed it and found something that did.

At your level literally anything is going to "work for you."

Don't remove your post on my account man. I was simply posting my opinion of how you came off. If I removed every post people didn't like I would have a significantly lower post count.

You did confirm my thoughts about you not being familiar with this thread though.

Meh. I have no problem with his routine. IMO, I feel like as a beginner, you should do SS or some other 3x5/5x5 program even if it for 3-6 months, just to build a base. If you decide to go more with a BB program, that's fine but I think people don't know why they are doing the lifts they are doing, they are just doing it just because someone tells you do. The biggest problem people generally have is doing a split just for the sake of it. I know it can sound stupid but I like to think of why I am doing something. Why am I doing more glute ham raises or RDL or hip thrusts? Well, I feel like my hammys and glutes are a weak point for me. Increasing those will help my DL numbers go up. Same concepts can be applied with tris, traps, lats, etc.

I know that this is not for everyone but this is how I like to do things. I don't remember your pics exactly but from what I recall, there is definite improvement. What are your goals? That is one thing your program should reflect. Going by that, it looks like you are going for more of a BB physique. Is this the case?

He's probably saying its poor because for someone of your training level a simple linear progression routine would probably work best. In your post there's no sense of progression whatsoever or what/why you're doing what you're doing. Or if you even understand what you're doing. That said not everyone "needs" that. I didn't follow a routine for the first 2 years I trained, but that most definitely held me back. Second was understanding what I was doing why I was doing it and if it was helping me reach specific goals. If it didn't I removed it and found something that did.

At your level literally anything is going to "work for you."

Don't remove your post on my account man. I was simply posting my opinion of how you came off. If I removed every post people didn't like I would have a significantly lower post count.

You did confirm my thoughts about you not being familiar with this thread though.

I didn't read through all the pages in this thread but I thought it was a place where people could share their progress and current routines. Didn't mean to come off as bragging because like you said, I didn't have anything to brag about.

My goal was to cut down my bodyfat, I was around 25% last year and now I think I'm close to 12-13%. Diet was definitely key but I wanted to keep lifting at the same time. And no matter what routine I do I make sure to include compound lifts like deadlift, squats, rows, dips, pullups and bench... that's why I liked this routine. Plus I'm a newbie so this has really helped me build my cores, gain strength while burning fat at the same time even though gaining strength is not my priority right now. It seemed like a lot of volume at first but now I'm used to it and I've been slowly increasing my weights with this.

Meh. I have no problem with his routine. IMO, I feel like as a beginner, you should do SS or some other 3x5/5x5 program even if it for 3-6 months, just to build a base. If you decide to go more with a BB program, that's fine but I think people don't know why they are doing the lifts they are doing, they are just doing it just because someone tells you do. The biggest problem people generally have is doing a split just for the sake of it. I know it can sound stupid but I like to think of why I am doing something. Why am I doing more glute ham raises or RDL or hip thrusts? Well, I feel like my hammys and glutes are a weak point for me. Increasing those will help my DL numbers go up. Same concepts can be applied with tris, traps, lats, etc.

I know that this is not for everyone but this is how I like to do things. I don't remember your pics exactly but from what I recall, there is definite improvement. What are your goals? That is one thing your program should reflect. Going by that, it looks like you are going for more of a BB physique. Is this the case?

Thanks. I see what you're saying and I actually didn't start out with this, I did a routine called All Pro's Simple Beginner's Routine for the first 3 months or so and then I switched to this. But yea I guess I shouldn't recommend this to my friends who are starting out for the first time. My goal is to have a good physique, not really trying to get huge like professional BBers, but I wana be around 8-10% bodyfat and have muscle definition. I will probably start doing a slow bulk soon

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I didn't read through all the pages in this thread but I thought it was a place where people could share their progress and current routines. Didn't mean to come off as bragging because like you said, I didn't have anything to brag about.

It absolutely is and I may have simply misinterpreted your post. It's been known to happen on the internet. ;)

Also, nothing wrong with bragging either, just establish yourself first! (My opinion)

sphinx

the piano man
first of all, thanks for the compliment Brolic. It's truly encouraging.

now, on the topic of whether the posted routine is good or bad. there are two main aspects I see, one is good, one is not good.

Good: The program is very inclusive. Main, important moves are there and some body adaption (Form, CNS, Bone density) will take place, which is going to provide a good foundation for future goals. If he ever decides to pursue some strength goals, he will be in a much better position than a guy who receives some mix of 4 or 5 random machines per day from his personal trainer, that's the fucking worst.

not Good: I don't think anyone who hasn't been training seriously for at least year (at the very very least, probably more) should go for an all-bodybuilding routine. why? because everyone in their 1 year is weak as fuck, all those 8-10 rep sets are probably with shit weight. This makes progress slower in the long run, you are doing yourself a favor if you have strength goals early in your training life. Big guys lift big, that's the truth.

Strength is the basis of this, once you are at an (at least) intermediate level (use several sites to check your lifts and where you stand) you can decide on a course of action according to personal goals, which may include "glamour" things like calves, biceps and the likes.

heading into the gym and using every machine that crosses your path is not what I'd do for myself but if it's working then be it. like I said, main compounds are there so this is on the safe side.

just my 2 cents.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Theracane and Farmer walk Handles in route to my house. Hell yeah, time to start dominating my cul de sac!

first of all, thanks for the compliment Brolic. It's truly encouraging.

now, on the topic of whether the posted routine is good or bad. there are two main aspects I see, one is good, one is not good.

Good: The program is very inclusive. Main, important moves are there and some body adaption (Form, CNS, Bone density) will take place, which is going to provide a good foundation for future goals, if he ever decides to pursue some strength goals, he will be in a much better position that a guy who receives some mix of 4 or 5 random machines per day from his personal trainer, that's the fucking worst.

not Good: I don't think anyone who hasn't been training seriously for at least year (at the very very least, probably more) should go for an all-bodybuilding routine. why? because everyone in their 1 year is weak as fuck, all those 8-10 rep sets are probably with shit weight. This makes progress slower in the long run, you are doing yourself a favor if you have strength goals early in your training life. Big guys lift big, that's the truth.

Strength is the basis of this, once you are at an (at least) intermediate level (use several sites to check your lifts and where you stand) you can decide on a course of action according to personal goals, which may include "glamour" things like calves, biceps and the likes.

heading into the gym head on use every machine that crosses your path is not what I'd do for myself but if it's working then be it. like I said, main compounds are there so this is on the safe side.

just my 2 cents.

You've come a long way my friend, credit where credit is due.

Petrie

Banned
Seeing a chiropractor for Xrays and such this afternoon as my back isn't improving. Wish me luck Fitgaf brothers and sisters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing a chiropractor for Xrays and such this afternoon as my back isn't improving. Wish me luck Fitgaf brothers and sisters.

Good luck brah. I hope it works itself out. :/ This fucking Ghost is out of control.

Heading to the gym. 112,5 kg squats here I come!

cjNvPH6.gif

Petrie

Banned
What I learned today:

chiropractors are a scam meant to make you keep visiting them for their alternative medicine for the rest of your life.

So who should I see for help with my back issue?

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm guessing you passively heard that.?

My friend.

His point was that you don't have to worry about dangers and injury when alone on machines.

At the moment he's focused entirely on losing weight and not working on strength/muscles, but the moment he does I'm going to get him on a linear, compound based programme. (Probs SS)

Third week of Smolov Jr. and it totally could be a placebo effect, but I feel stronger and look more "full" in my chest, tris, and delts.

feels good man.

SeanR1221

What I learned today:

chiropractors are a scam meant to make you keep visiting them for their alternative medicine for the rest of your life.

That's probably why my insurance won't cover them....

Maybe see your general practitioner and ask for a PT script? Did wonders for me.

SeanR1221

Also to BabySlayer, sorry if I came off like a dick. Your programming just didn't have any sense of progression in it. I'm not really familiar with bb style programs though so I could be completely wrong.

Zoe

What I learned today:

Therapeutic massage if you think it's a muscle issue. Your insurance should still cover it as long as it gets a doctor's sign-off.

While I'm taking two weeks off from lifting to rest my groin muscles, I'm trying to figure out how to tackle making gains when I start up again. Just to recap, I'm doing SS to the tee (squat/bench/deadlift and squat/press/power clean on alternating days). I'll probably drop the weights back down significantly and attempt to fix form issues using the book and the videos in the OP.

I'm thinking of adjusting my routine to include the assistance exercises the book recommends (back extensions and chip ups). My question is when should I add these exercises? Can I add them to my routine right when I get back to it or should I wait until I plateau on the lifts again?

Also, do these numbers (from a few pages back) look normal?

Squat: 240 lbs
Bench: 160 lbs
DL: 275 lbs
Press: 95 lbs
Power Clean: 135 lbs

Last thing, I may need to re-learn the power clean entirely. My gym doesn't have any bumper plates so does anybody have advice on learning the power clean at lighter loads from the proper height off the floor?

Sorry I'm asking a lot, and thanks in advance. This thread is such an inspiration.

Progress update, I apologise in advance if it seems kinda NSFW:

This is me now.

This is me approx. 6 months ago:

Very personal opinion of course, but when do you think it will be time to cut?
I think if you wait too long, you will find it very hard to do, since cutting has fewer incentives than bulking.

sphinx

the piano man
You've come a long way my friend, credit where credit is due.

thanks!

Petrie said:
What I learned today:

I am sorry to hear it didn't work, best of luck looking for a solution for your problem.

You and Szu have been been forced to take time off due to injuries but you guys are gonna make it. Blackflag had an episode and he made it back, remember? you guys will overcome this. Just like Sean is doing better post injury and several others that got hit by the fit-ghost.

I never said it..but I got ill TWICE, after the first "herpes zoster" thing which gave me terrible back/torso pain episodes, I was one week alright, then on a saturday I caught something and get another flu that knocked me down for another week... this past months have been fucking awful for training but I am back and allright now, In the last 8 days I haven't missed a single training day.

just hang in there.

Progress update

I see major gains in your legs, you look like you squat! :)

Claims natty

at first I thought, "natty my ass" but upon closer inspection, his skin and muscles do seem "real", unnatty muscles/skin often look like metal blocks, unnatural, but somehow this body seems possible, it's just that he is at like 3-5% BF in that pic, which is insane.

dunno, I have a very untrained eyes for this.

Very personal opinion of course, but when do you think it will be time to cut?
I think if you wait too long, you will find it very hard to do, since cutting has fewer incentives than bulking.

I intend to start cutting in january. Gonna bulk one more month, primarily due to traditional christmas dinners and other related family stuff, and immediately after new years start 5/3/1, add sprints once a week, change the diet a bit, and continue my cutting phase till may~june '14, maintain over summer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that I'll be adding IF in it too.

Szu

I am sorry to hear it didn't work, best of luck looking for a solution for your problem.

You and Szu have been been forced to take time off due to injuries but you guys are gonna make it. Blackflag had an episode and he made it back, remember? you guys will overcome this. Just like Sean is doing better post injury and several others that got hit by the fit-ghost.

I never said it..but I got ill TWICE, after the first "herpes zoster" thing which gave me terrible back/torso pain episodes, I was one week alright, then on a saturday I caught something and get another flu that knocked me down for another week... this past months have been fucking awful for training but I am back and allright now, In the last 8 days I haven't missed a single training day.

just hang in there.

There are always hills and bumps in everyone's journey to be swole.

OK, not sure if gif is squat or power clean.

lol.

Whynotboth.jpg

Keep going highluxury! Getting the mass is the hard part. Cutting is pretty simple.

Thank you cooter! :)

Im really honored to get advice and confirmation from you or any of the fitness vets of swole gaf. I always appreciate your guidance and input dude!

I see major gains in your legs, you look like you squat! :)

Thanks man! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom