• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therapy can help. I've never decided to seek it out because it still feels manageable, but I will have HUGE issues doing things I feel I want to do - like see someone from out of town that I genuinely miss, for instance, but I'll just psych myself out and make up a bullshit reason not to. And it fucking sucks, because it's not fair to them and it's all in my head. I really hate it.

I pass on a lot of events and gatherings because I simply enjoy being on my own more, because I don't stress out about anything. I could have a weekend full of friends and fun but it wouldn't feel like a weekend on my terms, and I'd hate it after the fact and feel like I got no time off. I wish I didn't feel like that.

Fuck, maybe I should look into therapy.
Haha, this is like reading something from my own head.

I'm surprised my friends are still my friends. I never answer my phone, reluctantly respond to texts to go out (usually to decline). One of my best friends likes to show up to my apartment unexpectedly to check up on me, and I'm usually pretty furious every time. I always tell him to call and text ahead of time, but once we sit down and chat I'm a happy camper.

Great work tmonster, looking good, you competing soon?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Legion of Doom/Road Warrior Hawk (w/Animal in the background) putting in some work:
oXWIxKg.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
how did you come to that conclusion? when you gain weight, a bigger % than 95 is fat, always.

20 lbs in 3 months is way to fast or it to be muscle. Muscle takes time to form, a lot of time, 20 lbs of pure muscle is like a 1 year's hard work, maybe even more.

sorry to sound negative :-/

regardless, if you like the way you look that's what matters :)

I was joking on that. :p

I'm not that crazy to think I'd make those kinds of gains so quickly.

blackflag

I've thought about it. I'd be lucky to get 1,400.

As of tonight I am 60/40 in favor of starting a 7 week bulk. The goal is to put on 3 or 4 pounds of muscle. Adding a few bowls of cereal and more peanuts and raisins should be more than enough calories to accomplish this. It will be interesting bulking while fasting most of the day. I believe my body will respond very well. We'll see if I can pull the trigger. I'm setting 200 as a tipping point which would begin an immediate reduction in calories.

It's tough to get in a bulking mentality when you've spent the past two years walking the fine line of maintenance. End result would lead to a mean 190 hovering between 10-12% bf.

I bulked when I fasted for 16 hours per day once. It worked fine.

blackflag

Black Friday and Cyber Monday is fast approaching, does anyone have any good leads on some cheap supplements?

Just going from last year, keep an eye on

getrippednutrition.com

and

sportsnutritiononline.com

I got mad deals from these 2 places. grn regularly has 19 dollar quest bars. i always get my stuff there.

I want to ask monsters like yourself and darthWufei, how natural do you go? or what do you ingest?
The most morally grey supplement I've taken is a fatburner. I dunno if that answers your question, lol.

Preworkout with stims (or just coffee)
Whey/casein protein
BCAAs
Multivitamins
Fatburner
Creatine
Fish/flax oil caps

That's all I've taken supplement wise. Never done anything else.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
First time in a long time I had to lift on an empty stomach.

Never again. Had bad stomach cramps right after deadlifts.

Either way, just completed week four, day two of Madcow's 5x5! Next week is when I will hopefully start breaking my PRs in all lifts.

First time I've ever been on a linear program like this, and it's nice having a goal for each and every workout. I'm excited to post my progress pics, but I think I'm gonna wait one more month. Been eating and lifting without skipping a single day the past three months. My body has certainly seen a pretty drastic change.

Chipotle or panda express for post workout meal?

Can't go wrong with an 1100+ calorie burrito (40g fat/120g carbs/65g protein).

abuC

So decided to see if my flat bench and decline are in the same ballpark, and they are pretty much right in line with each other. I was starting to worry that decline bench would be considerably higher than my flat but I hit 365x7 on decline and 365x5 on flat. My chest has really taken off the last 4 months, both in size and strength.

I'm all in for 405 before the end of the year, I feel I could do it now but I'm going to work my triceps a bit more.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So decided to see if my flat bench and decline are in the same ballpark, and they are pretty much right in line with each other. I was starting to worry that decline bench would be considerably higher than my flat but I hit 365x7 on decline and 365x5 on flat. My chest has really taken off the last 4 months, both in size and strength.

I'm all in for 405 before the end of the year, I feel I could do it now but I'm going to work my triceps a bit more.
Your numbers with healthy shoulders would be Hulk scary!

sphinx

the piano man
Haha, this is like reading something from my own head.

I'm surprised my friends are still my friends. I never answer my phone, reluctantly respond to texts to go out (usually to decline). One of my best friends likes to show up to my apartment unexpectedly to check up on me, and I'm usually pretty furious every time. I always tell him to call and text ahead of time, but once we sit down and chat I'm a happy camper.

add me to the list of guys with social anxiety... all the things in life I like have one thing in common: they are for a single person.

Ice figure skating, piano, video games, strength training... I want to do things on my own and alsmot always dislike doing things in team, I love to play the piano in a group only if I know the other musicians very well, I want an empty Ice rink for me to traverse, I love single player video game adventures and I do not want to speak to time wasters in the gym.

like you Darth and Vince, I almost never go on the phone, I write back on an SMS, if someone tells me, "come! I am throwing a party! you'll get to know nice people!" haha, no way. I love to spend time doing my things in my room on weekends, I like and love the company of my friends but I am perfectly well on my own for weeks...

steveovig

I figure this might be a good place to ask this but how bad is soda pop for the body? I've heard it's not too good in the long run but I tend to buy a bottle once in a while and I start craving it with dinner when it's all gone.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Didn't realize some fitgaffers had social anxiety. Working out has increased my confidence tenfold. And hell I probably did the exact opposite of what you guys would do when I first went to the gym by myself. I just talked to people waiting to work in and ended up making some gym buddies lol. Since then I have no problem talking with anyone. Also helped that I remember Sean mentioning in another thread about don't be the guy staring at squat rack waiting to get his sets in. I used to do that but since then I just ask how many sets the guy or girl has and if it's alot I ask to work in. I usually end up just talking with people there too.

With that said I do enjoy going to the gym by myself mostly so I don't have to wait and I can go do my workout at my own pace.

Irobot82

Just going from last year, keep an eye on

getrippednutrition.com

and

sportsnutritiononline.com

I got mad deals from these 2 places. grn regularly has 19 dollar quest bars. i always get my stuff there.

Sweet, I actually just picked up some creatine from there. $15 for 1.2kg is a good deal. Also picked up some DAA as I've been wanting to try it.

The most morally grey supplement I've taken is a fatburner. I dunno if that answers your question, lol.

Preworkout with stims (or just coffee)
Whey/casein protein
BCAAs
Multivitamins
Fatburner
Creatine
Fish/flax oil caps

That's all I've taken supplement wise. Never done anything else.

So, no roids? lol

For how long do you use the preworkout and fatburners before taking a break? Or you have always consumed that all year long?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What, no one else is gonna commend me for my hard work thus far?

Confidence falling...motivation...waning..

What, no one else is gonna commend me for my hard work thus far?

Confidence falling...motivation...waning..

Sorry man, you only get commendations if you include pics of your progress :p. Seriously though you've done well to keep at it, i keep on stop starting and like you i'm still in the early stages. It's always motivating seeing other people make progress.

Noema

anyone have tips for improving OHP? I did 140 for 5/5/3 and this is the second time I was not able to complete all 3 sets

Just keep going. If you fail again next time, it's time to deload. OHP takes time to develop.

Also, if you got 5 in your first two sets but only 3 in the 3rd, you might want to take longer rest periods between sets. Whatever it takes to get that weight up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Martin is awesome.

Also, according to Jason Blaha, they disqualified one dude because he was using some plastic plates he spray painted to make them look like 20kg plates. Fucking pathetic, but also hilarious.

Fucking lol

J. Bravo

Ohp 150 but just once today. I weighed in at 168 right before lifting. I'm somewhat proud of myself lol.

gotta deadlift 370 for 1 tomorrow which should be fucking simple because I did 405 on Monday for one. Probably go for 8

Imm0rt4l

I would have given it a try, but I didn't feel like losing weight to do the challenge, just so I could lose lol. Most I've done is 5 and was spent.

Sick. 4th place dude shouldn't have counted. He's pulling off of pads several inches off the floor. How did those count.

was thinking the same thing.

Tom Martin is awesome.

Also, according to Jason Blaha, they disqualified one dude because he was using some plastic plates he spray painted to make them look like 20kg plates. Fucking pathetic, but also hilarious.

lol I hope someone has a video of that shit since the guy deleted his channel.

edit he created a new channel and he's still frauding lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlp097dG6-c

http://www.sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/Carlos-and-his-fake-plates....-20007

Fit not Thin is really becoming a trend for girls here in Norway and today I couldn't believe my eyes. The squat racks and deadlift area was completely occupied by 10-12 fit girls (some of the bench presses too). Three-four years ago there was a clear separation between guys lifting stuff trying to be alpha as fuck and girls on elliptical machines and going to spinning classes, but now there are almost more girls in the free weight area than guys. I love it.

Agreed! First I thought it was the handball and football chicks but I see
More and more girls doing deads, squats and OHP.

And PS my lovely wife, I only take my ring off at the gym because I don't want it to get squished...

Cooper

I had a good gym session today, finally getting past my previous plateaus that caused me to deload about 2 months ago. My weights today were

Squat: 140x5x3
OHP: 55x5x3
Deadlift: 190x5x3

I'd like some additional form checks if possible.

Deadlift
http://youtu.be/lrE5P2M-YmU

OHP
http://youtu.be/BPw6N4iiT10

It feels good to finally set PRs again. I was slow to work back up since I microloaded all the lifts (1 lb for OHP and bench, 2.5 for squat, 5 for DL). I'll stick with these small increments for now, and look into a non-linear program next year.

Chocobro

Just my opinion but you should probably change how your wrist position. You created a lever arm between your wrist and the hand/bar. You won't efficiently drive the force into the bar to push up and at heavier weights, your wrist will be put under a lot more stress (at least from my understanding, someone can go ahead and correct me). I found this video to be helpful, maybe you will too. Keep working at it :)

sphinx

the piano man
this is one amateur german BB I follow on Facebook, Marco Majewksi. he's in Germany and a couple of days ago he won first place at a regional and then didn't make it into the final German championship, Such discipline... I wrote to him in one of his FB comments and said he makes us, his followers, proud.

I personally believe he looks great on both the before and after... lol.

what current guys do you follow and admire, fitgaf?

Imm0rt4l

what current guys do you follow and admire, fitgaf?
Eric Helms and Alberto Nunez of 3DMJ Ryan Dorris of team norton
I really enjoy hearing eric speak on bodybuilding

Ryan Dorris of Team Norton

As far as naturals are concerned

Serge Nubret is an uncrowned Mr. O imo

his symmetry and conditioning>>>arnolds imo

Arnold had size on him though, not that it mattered. Zane beat Arnold and he was smaller than me.

sphinx

the piano man
Great people.

agreed on your last opinion. the german guy I follow doesn't have that chest curvature, like Arnold and Nubret, that will probably bring him down at a higher level. Don't know, I have no idea what a jury is looking for, what kind of aesthetic or attributes they are looking for.

you know.... sometimes... I'd like to make it there, doesn't matter if it takes 5 or 6 years...I don't know if I'd want to compete if I ever attained the level to do that... but I want to put myself in that path...

I don't care for "being in shape"... that's easy, just stop eating and do cardio. What I want is to be truly strong in my mind, heart and body, not for others or to brag, I just want to take this seriously and get it done. be honest with myself and with the discipline.

yet, there is so much to learn... and so much discipline to have...and so late in my life.

but I truly want to, if I had some kine of mentor or a person to look up to around me, I think I'd get my shit together and get into a real program doing every thing like it has to be done.

Had an odd day at the gym. Had great press sets (2x5 @ 130 so close to a plate), but Deadlifting felt terrible though. I think the bar I was using for both press and DL had a knurling narrower than I was used to.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have to say, I am enjoying this bulk much more than my past ones. Maybe it's because it has been over 2 years since my last bulk? I'm not going crazy but the addition of bread and the many bowls of cereal I've already consumed has been very satisfying. Anyway, this is going to be a fun 7 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom