• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

Xpm4SAw.jpg

Check it out, the gym aboard the Titanic. These guys were bulking and getting swole before it was cool.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Skinny fat is not a body type. It just describes someone who has so little muscle that they carry a high percentage of body fat even at a low body weight. Lifting will fix that. I used to be skinny fat until I got serious with training.

Don't try to bulk or cut. You are a novice. Just keep training, make sure to get enough protein, stay away from sugar and keep getting stronger. That's it.

So don't bulk? I should drop my calories?

You guys ever been around someone so big that you were intimidated?

Didn't feel intimidated, but my fiancee and I saw a dude similar to what you described at a Best Buy. Largest and possibly strongest man we'd ever seen. He looked like the PED/roid-esque guys you see on the cover of some of those magazines, except instead of being the usual 5'6" to 6'0", he was easily 6'10" if not taller, but just as muscular and somehow still a low body fat % (as far as we could tell, he was wearing sweat pants and a T-shirt).

I feel good walking around looking like I do, but that dude must be high on life with what he had.

Noema

You mentioned you are eating between 3000 and 4000 calories? What sort of ratios are we talking about here? What does your diet look like?

I switched to GSLP recently and after racking 245x22 on squat amrap I passed out directly on the floor and hyperventilated, he looks down at me and says "man what the fuck, get up, that shit's a warmup set!" I was so proud, I just laughed hysterically! That was the second time we "talked" in six months. Srs bz

If you can do 22 reps on your AMRAP set you need to really add some weight to your worksets. Like, a lot of weight. At least 300lb for your worksets. You shouldn't be able to hit more than 10 reps on your AMRAP sets and that number will go down quickly as you progress in weight.

How big are you? Everyone requires different calorie intakes. 2500-3000 a day really doesn't seem all that bad. Even moreso if you're eating relatively clean.

How have your lifts been progressing? If you're progressing strength wise i wouldn't worry so much if you aren't noticing large growth in your arms/legs. If you're getting stronger you will see some growth eventually.

Also you should try posting progress pics. You see yourself everyday and so it's harder to notice small changes. Showing other people pictures 4 months apart can show bigger results.

Oblivion

You mentioned you are eating between 3000 and 4000 calories? What sort of ratios are we talking about here? What does your diet look like?

If you can do 22 reps on your AMRAP set you need to really add some weight to your worksets. Like, a lot of weight. At least 300lb for your worksets. You shouldn't be able to hit more than 10 reps on your AMRAP sets and that number will go down quickly as you progress in weight.

How big are you? Everyone requires different calorie intakes. 2500-3000 a day really doesn't seem all that bad. Even moreso if you're eating relatively clean.

How have your lifts been progressing? If you're progressing strength wise i wouldn't worry so much if you aren't noticing large growth in your arms/legs. If you're getting stronger you will see some growth eventually.

Also you should try posting progress pics. You see yourself everyday and so it's harder to notice small changes. Showing other people pictures 4 months apart can show bigger results.

I've been eating pretty clean these past few months (for the most part). My daily meals pretty much include:

-chicken sandwiches
-lots of milk (chocolate)
-bananas
-fried eggs
-cheese sandwiches
-the occasional T.V. dinner

The last one is probably the least healthy thing that I eat.

I'm 5'11" and 140 lbs. and yes I've been progressing on my lifts (slowly, but still progressing nonetheless).

I've been eating pretty clean these past few months (for the most part). My daily meals pretty much include:

-chicken sandwiches
-lots of milk (chocolate milk)
-bananas
-fried eggs
-cheese sandwiches
-the occasional T.V. dinner

The last one is probably the least healthy thing that I eat.

I'm 5'11" and 140 lbs. and yes I've been progressing on my lifts (slowly, but still progressing nonetheless).

If I were you I'd remove these from the diet.

I understand you're trying to gain weight, but I wouldn't go about it by dirty bulking. You could try looking into the 2DEAD method (a dozen of eggs per day). I was pretty skinny when I started out too. That's just my 2 cents.

3x10 @ 265 lbs for bench. I was exhausted. Done with Smolov Jr. for now. Just been eating for the rest of the day. Picked up a Wii U as well. Woooooo.

Oblivion

If I were you I'd remove these from the diet.

I understand you're trying to gain weight, but I wouldn't go about it by dirty bulking. You could try looking into the 2DEAD method (a dozen of eggs per day). I was pretty skinny when I started out too. That's just my 2 cents.

Cheese sandwiches are bad?

Banglish

I hope I don't get shit kicked for posting this here as there is no thread for it that I could find, but does anyone know of a good yoga routine (dvd) for beginners?

Oblivion

It's all individual, I'm just all against gluten in any form and most dairy products. My previous post should be considered as a suggestion. I'm not an expert in any way.

Well since you mentioned it, that dozen egg a day diet, is that really healthy? Sounds like a good way to make your heart hate you.

(not directed at you, just in general)

Well since you mentioned it, that dozen egg a day diet, is that really healthy? Sounds like a good way to make your heart hate you.

It seems pretty extreme and i certainly wouldn't recommend it. It's not hard to get enough protein so a diet like that seems unnecessary to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

No, I think your heart will be just fine. Dietary cholesterol fears are unfounded. The causes of heart disease are most definitely not solved, and much damage has been done making cholesterol a boogie man.

TopDreg

For some reason, I have been seeing a LOT of Mike Chang advertisements recently, all centered around his new drink that's supposed to 'get you ripped.' I don't know how this guy can live with himself.

Oblivion

For some reason, I have been seeing a LOT of Mike Chang advertisements recently, all centered around his new drink that's supposed to 'get you ripped.' I don't know how this guy can live with himself.

Mike Chang is good people, yo.

Haha. Seriously though? No one?
I guess I'll test some random ones then. I don't wanna be the guy who can only move limbs at 45 degree angles.

I'm not kidding fucker, look up DDP Yoga. Here I'll do the goddamned legwork for you

http://www.ddpyoga.com

If you watch this guy's video and don't at least smile you have no soul: http://www.ddpyoga.com/arthur.html

Full disclaimer: I only have the precursor to this program, DDP's Yoga for Regular Guys. I still use the 20 minute quickie workout to stay somewhat limber though. My copy is autographed too!

Zoe

Haha. Seriously though? No one?
I guess I'll test some random ones then. I don't wanna be the guy who can only move limbs at 45 degree angles.

Are you a true beginner? You would benefit from taking some in-person classes before just using video instruction. You may think you're doing everything right, but you never really know until an instructor is there to push you into place.

sphinx

the piano man
I have a question regardingLayne Norton's PHAT program.

Day 2: Lower Body Power

Pressing Power Movement: Squats
3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts
3 sets of 5-8 reps
Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls
2 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise
3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise
2 sets of 6-10 reps

there's no mention anywhere of "warm-up" sets.

am I supposed to go for my 3-5RM from the get go on squats, for example?? seems like a bad idea.

in general, there's no mention or indication of how to deal with the weight factor. I'd personally try to up the weight across the board every week but the site doesn't go into detail about it....

any thoughts?

SeanR1221

Making an appointment with a nutritional counselor at my wife's hospital.

I'm steadily gaining weight even eating around 2000 calories a day. Something ain't right...

Guuuys. Help me here. I decided to start cutting before focusing on gaining more mass because I don't like my gut. What is, in your experience, the best kind of routine to lose fat and losing the minimal amount of muscle? I'd like to specify the following parameters:

- Cardio: How many times per week and what kind of cardio you do?
- Weights split: Do I go with full body workouts with the important exercises, maybe two-day splits? Or should I continue with my 4 day split?
- Repetitions: High or 8-10? If I'm doing lots of cardio, should I still go with high reps? Remember I want to avoid losing much muscle.

Do you recommend a program such as Insanity for losing fat and complement that with weights for the muscles that are not targeted in the program?

Maybe I should tell you that I'm not a novice and I've worked out moderately for years, so it's not like doing just anything will give results. I need something focused that has worked for you personally. Thx bros

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Guuuys. Help me here. I decided to start cutting before focusing on gaining more mass because I don't like my gut. What is, in your experience, the best kind of routine to lose fat and losing the minimal amount of muscle? I'd like to specify the following parameters:

- Cardio: How many times per week and what kind of cardio you do?
- Weights split: Do I go with full body workouts with the important exercises, maybe two-day splits? Or should I continue with my 4 day split?
- Repetitions: High or 8-10? If I'm doing lots of cardio, should I still go with high reps? Remember I want to avoid losing much muscle.

Do you recommend a program such as Insanity for losing fat and complement that with weights for the muscles that are not targeted in the program?

Maybe I should tell you that I'm not a novice and I've worked out moderately for years, so it's not like doing just anything will give results. I need something focused that has worked for you personally. Thx bros

Cardio: none needed but if you want to kickstart this thing, HIIT is the truth! It's also hell.
Weights: while cutting you should just keep things as they are.
Reps: High reps are good for size, low reps are good for heavier weights. Pick what you like, cardio makes no difference.

Diet diet diet diet diet diet diet is all that matters imho. Did you try keto? For some people it's perfect.

I need something focused that has worked for you personally. Thx bros

I typed up a whole bunch of shit but there's no point. It all boils down to:

* Manufacture a caloric deficit through some combination of cardio and diet.
* Don't go nuts with volume. If you maintain the weight on the bar you can cut volume by up to 2/3rs what you normally do and it will still minimize muscle loss.
* The workout that best builds muscle for you is the workout that will best preserve muscle for you.
* You will always lose muscle on a diet.
* There is no magic bullet.

Making an appointment with a nutritional counselor at my wife's hospital.
I'm steadily gaining weight even eating around 2000 calories a day. Something ain't right...

Sounds like you should be getting a metabolic rate/thyroid test done over seeing a nutritionist.

Cardio: none needed but if you want to kickstart this thing, HIIT is the truth! It's also hell.
Weights: while cutting you should just keep things as they are.
Reps: High reps are good for size, low reps are good for heavier weights. Pick what you like, cardio makes no difference.

Diet diet diet diet diet diet diet is all that matters imho. Did you try keto? For some people it's perfect.

So I'm basically getting from what you're saying that I should pretty much keep doing what I already do and change my diet? When you guys talk about cutting/bulking up it's all about the diet?

Jelly because I can't bench 265lb and jelly because I want a Wii U.

Don't worry, you will get both eventually!

Brointhians

LOL

Good shit, you still down with the decline wave?

I am but I haven't done decline in months. Did the DL program for 3 months and the past 3 weeks have been Smolov Jr. since I want a 315 bench. Once I'm all done, I think I will prolly transition back to decline. I want to do more of a bodybuilding program. Start off with some heavy single/doubles/triples and then follow that up with a traditional BB routine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm basically getting from what you're saying that I should pretty much keep doing what I already do and change my diet? When you guys talk about cutting/bulking up it's all about the diet?

Totally brother. It sounds like you're on a good usual schedule. Adjust the intake, the food, and the change will come. Add HIIT for extra suffering and it'll just melt off.

Since you're not a novice, fellow Fit-GAFfer abuC has been using Ultimate Diet 2.0 and it absolutely melted his fat off in crazy time. You may want to look into that. He has glorious refeed days.

SeanR1221

I typed up a whole bunch of shit but there's no point. It all boils down to:

* Manufacture a caloric deficit through some combination of cardio and diet.
* Don't go nuts with volume. If you maintain the weight on the bar you can cut volume by up to 2/3rs what you normally do and it will still minimize muscle loss.
* The workout that best builds muscle for you is the workout that will best preserve muscle for you.
* You will always lose muscle on a diet.
* There is no magic bullet.

Sounds like you should be getting a metabolic rate/thyroid test done over seeing a nutritionist.

Gonna get blood work done soon, and the nutritionist can refer me to get a metabolic test done.

I can see the nutritionist for free so I figured why not. :)

I'm just getting concerned now. I'm steadily increasing weight and I don't even eat like
A boss hog.

Petrie

Banned
Every time I think my back is improving, I wake up and it feels worse. This shit fucking sucks.

Tender spot simply hasn't gone away or felt any better.

Gonna get blood work done soon, and the nutritionist can refer me to get a metabolic test done.

I can see the nutritionist for free so I figured why not. :)

I'm just getting concerned now. I'm steadily increasing weight and I don't even eat like
A boss hog.

I love getting bloodwork and/or metabolic tests. It's nice to keep track of cholesterol levels for one thing, just to make sure they don't silently creep up to an unhealthy range before it's too late. Good luck with all the results, I hope they find something that is extremely minor that is simple and easy to fix.

My results came in a few weeks ago and my cholesterol is a little high but that is it. I'm not too worried about it. But it is nice to see where you are at with regards to testosterone levels, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I think my back is improving, I wake up and it feels worse. This shit fucking sucks.

Tender spot simply hasn't gone away or felt any better.

Sad to hear. How do you sleep? Do you sleep with legs elevated at all? I had a hell of a healing sleep once (which this wasn't easy) by sleeping with my knees up on a pillow. Took all the pressure off. Might not work out for you though, backs are complex machines.

Also, the other day when my hip flexors got fucked - went over to the bench, didn't look, put my head in a big splotch of grease from someone else.

GOD DAMMIT

iRfPMDvS5ETJ.gif

Petrie

Banned
Sad to hear. How do you sleep? Do you sleep with legs elevated at all? I had a hell of a healing sleep once (which this wasn't easy) by sleeping with my knees up on a pillow. Took all the pressure off. Might not work out for you though, backs are complex machines.

I'm going to have to buckle down with my girlfriend on how I sleep. I know this may help, but it's my upper/mid back which makes it a bit odd. Right where my shoulders blades would touch on the lower part if I pull them back.

SeanR1221

I love getting bloodwork and/or metabolic tests. It's nice to keep track of cholesterol levels for one thing, just to make sure they don't silently creep up to an unhealthy range before it's too late. Good luck with all the results, I hope they find something that is extremely minor that is simple and easy to fix.

I'm wondering if I have a thyroid issue. Gaining at that amount of calories at my size and activity level just seems weird.

Pete Rock

Yeah for sure, I was at 325 for 3x5 and it was feeling really heavy, so I would agree and consider that I reset too aggressively starting this program.

Although a big part of my switching from SS to the other programming was the over development of the squat, I looked like a little T-rex, my upper body was so weak. It'll be heavy again sooner rather than later but I do appreciate the suggestion.

I hope I don't get shit kicked for posting this here as there is no thread for it that I could find, but does anyone know of a good yoga routine (dvd) for beginners?
Peggy Cappy - Yoga for the rest of us. It is really well done and available from a few sources online. Good intro to various positions and their benefits so you can then base a 30 minute routine off what you need to work on the most.

Yoga is phenomenal and incredibly important. What good is strength without flexibility? Why squat twice your body weight if you can't touch your toes? I feel working on both issues concurrently is highly complimentary, particularly with hip mobility issues and form breaking down as the weights go up. Also great in general for recovery when done every morning after you're stiff from sleeping. There are also other major benefits like the development of mindfulness and breathing technique to help focus on how your body feels right now to the exclusion of every other stream of consciousness, which is really helpful to carry over to the bar.

Go_Ly_Dow

Absolutely fucked from my back session which consists of deadlifts, pull-ups and BB row.

530pm and feel like passing out!

Must...go...library...and.. Work...on...assignment :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to the Xbone I'm gonna superset everything today and make it back home gasping for breath because I want to play gaaaaames. This wait at work is excruciating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom