• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

OK, black friday coming up. Anyone know about any GNC deals? Specifically to stock up on Quest Bars!

getrippednutrition.com
sportsnutritiononline.com

both of those had quest bar deals last year. Haven't heard anything about GNC. but the 2 links above had the best deals I found. Their normal prices on Quest bars are the cheapest too.

Just started 5/3/1 today... and something doesn't feel right.

I went with the BBB routine. Today was Squat day.

Did all the warm ups (5/5/5). That went great.

Did all the set (5/5/3). No problem there.

finally got 1x 125 kg, but felt like I could've easierly done 1x 135 kg as suggested per. strstd.

Did my leg curls and now I'm done.

But I absolutely feel as if I have barely used my body.

I should probably also mention that I've changed my diet and started daily IF (16 - 8) last week.

Even tough it's the first day of this routine, I can't help but think that I'm missing something.

theytookourjobz

Hit a 275# front squat today, first progress I've made in any of my squats in awhile. Surprised I was able to gut it out because the grind is not my forte.

Anybody gonna try to eat good Thursday?

Petrie

Banned

finally got 1x 125 kg, but felt like I could've easierly done 1x 135 kg as suggested per. strstd.

I should probably also mention that I've changed my diet and started daily IF (16 - 8) last week.

Even tough it's the first day of this routine, I can't help but think that I'm missing something.

It doesn't sound like you did 5/3/1 BBB to me. You say you did 5/5/3, but I see no mention of the BBB sets. Did you actually do them?

BBB is 5 sets of 10 reps at half your 1RM after the 5/3/1 sets themselves.

Anybody gonna try to eat good Thursday?

If eating good means eating everything in sight, then yes.

despire

It doesn't sound like you did 5/3/1 BBB to me. You say you did 5/5/3, but I see no mention of the BBB sets. Did you actually do them?

Also if he started today, shouldn't his work sets be 5/5/5 and not 5/5/3? Also why the 1RM set?

Petrie

Banned
Also if he started today, shouldn't his work sets be 5/5/5 and not 5/5/3? Also why the 1RM set?

Yup. Sounds like he isn't following the program whatsoever.

I overlooked that part as I was focused on the lack of BBB. That's my bad.

highlxury, you should pick up the book or at least do a lot more reading on the program itself.

:-( no I didn't. I missed this.

Looking at my notes I've noted it wrong. Crap.

Well shit, one workout day gone to waste.

highlxury, you should pick up the book or at least do a lot more reading on the program itself.

Will do. Should've done my research more thoroughly.

I'm excited to eat a ton this weekend, gonna actually hit up the gym Thanksgiving morning too.
I've been on a bit of a bulk eating like a fiend, though I've naturally got a skinny frame at 5'7''. I'm up from 148 to 160 now which is the most I've ever weighed even when I played football back in the day. I'll continue through the holidays until I get to about 165 and then I'm gonna try going paleo-ish and cut. I've never tried cutting before so this will be quite an experience for me.

Petrie

Banned
Thank you.

I really appreciate it.

I'm sad down about this... I wasted a day, on practically nothing. It's really depressing me.

5x10 half the RM seems kinda low though...

Give it a try before you say that. Even at half your max that's huge volume, and for lower body stuff especially will leave you exhausted.

If it doesn't, then you've jumped to 5/3/1 too early and need to go back to something with linear progression each workout.

I-hate-u

I am finally done with cutting and its time to eat and start my bulk. I want incorporate strength training, primarily Bench/Squat/Deadlifts into my hypertrophy routine. I follow the bro split aka Dorian Yates split fyi. Any ideas fitgaf?

sphinx

the piano man
Today was a good leg day, my squat is back and next time I'll get that 100 kgs PR that has taken me so long to reach because of illness, a month ago.

today I tried Straight-leg Deadlifts for the first time and while the .gif looked like it could be bad for the back,...

(EDIT: upsss, hotlinking not allowed)

it's not at all. it's great for hamstring, I recommend it all the way. Seems like an alternative to the Good Mornings to me.

Noema

I don't get what you did and it sounds like you didn't do 531 at all.

I don't get what you did and it sounds like you didn't do 531 at all.

Yeah, I kinda based all of this on a superficial interpretation of 5/3/1 via strstd which was my error.

I'm gonna read up on 5/3/1 this week and see if I can earn some bucks to buy the e-book.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
First chest and bi day while bulking. Felt good besides my shoulder but my numbers weren't up much if at all...

Cooter

It is the first day. I wouldn't put much stock into that :p

I'm not but it would have been nice to feel and see a noticeable difference. I can already tell I'm going to put on a ton of weight these next 2 months. I set a cap at 200 but I'm taking it off. Whatever I am at the end of this bulk so be it. I can drop the excess fat in a month or so. I will take pictures on the last day of my bulk and then again when I've shredded the fat and am sitting on my 3 or 4 pounds of new muscle at 190 and 10 percent. This should be good!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Continuing my skinny-fat query from yesterday, should I cut down on bread? I've been eating a lot of white bread daily cause of my chicken sandwiches, and it has a lot of carbs.

And should I also cut down on my milk too, since I'm doing half a GOMAD diet (give or take a cup or two)?

ZeroRay

what happened?

also today I got 315 twice on squat, about two hours after eating something like 1500 calories worth of wendys haha. Gotta bulk somehow.

Noice.

And the squats weren't too bad but the damn weight put directly on my lower back during the incline leg press killed me. Did light RDL's to test my back's flex, it's good. Pain is constant on the right side only and not incurred because of me bending over.

Gonna go back to the doc to do X-Rays and not touch a leg press ever.

J. Bravo

Continuing my skinny-fat query from yesterday, should I cut down on bread? I've been eating a lot of white bread daily cause of my chicken sandwiches, and it has a lot of carbs.

And should I also cut down on my milk too, since I'm doing half a GOMAD diet (give or take a cup or two)?

just eat a lot, lift heavy, and do high intensity cardio 2-3 times a week (full court basketball, sprints, hill sprints, prowler sled, etc).

working for me the last 1.5 years or so.

edit:
Noice.

And the squats weren't too bad but the damn weight put directly on my lower back during the incline leg press killed me. Did light RDL's to test my back's flex, it's good. Pain is constant on the right side only.

Gonna go back to the doc to do X-Rays and not touch a leg press ever.

mmm that stinks :( guess leg presses are bad for you after all.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Dudes be all like "what program you using."

Good to know gettin fat ain't hurting my presence. I bet it's the beard. Lol.

Probably the body comp. of a silver back gorilla that's doing that...

; )

what happened?

also today I got 315 twice on squat, about two hours after eating something like 1500 calories worth of wendys haha. Gotta bulk somehow.

No shit! I just had a baconator, spicy chicken burger, fries and washed it down with that nasty fruitopia.

Saving my two extra chicken burgers for lunch tomorrow.

Oblivion

just eat a lot, lift heavy, and do high intensity cardio 2-3 times a week (full court basketball, sprints, hill sprints, prowler sled, etc).

working for me the last 1.5 years or so.

Cardio? Isn't that bad for someone like me?

J. Bravo

Probably the body comp. of a silver back gorilla that's doing that...

; )

No shit! I just had a baconator, spicy chicken burger, fries and washed it down with that nasty fruitopia.

Saving my two extra chicken burgers for lunch tomorrow.
nice man! I had that 3/4lb dave's hot and juicy cheeseburger (1090 calories and 69g protein in 3 patties, lol), 3 4-piece spicy nuggets (170 calories/10g protein each), 2 value fries (220 calories/3g protein each), and a jr cheeseburger (290 calories/16g protein). 2330 calories, 121g protein. that's actually most of what I ate today, so I'm still not bulking lol.
if you just eat a lot and lift heavy you'll probably get kinda fat. hiit is good for everyone that can do it.

What do you guys think about adding front squats into starting strength? I'm thinking of switching to front squats one day a week.

Why would cardio be bad for you? Just don't go overboard and put it at the end of your workouts or on off days (that's how i do it). I personally prefer HIIT but cardio is fine.

Oblivion

if you just eat a lot and lift heavy you'll probably get kinda fat. hiit is good for everyone that can do it.

Why would cardio be bad for you? Just don't go overboard and put it at the end of your workouts or on off days (that's how i do it). I personally prefer HIIT but cardio is fine.

Well, I'm trying to add muscle, so I figure doing cardio would start burning that and thus be counterproductive.

So I decided to take some pics. Forgive the shitty resolution, but hopefully you guys can tell me if I was needlessly worrying about the skinny-fat thing:

UhnnDgN.jpg

4gJeV4w.jpg

Well, I'm trying to add muscle, so I figure doing cardio would start burning that and thus be counterproductive.

I'm not an expert so others here might be able to answer better but as far as i'm aware cardio doesn't burn off muscles. So long as you're getting enough calories/protein and the cardio isn't impacting your ability to stick to your lifting program it shouldn't hurt your muscle gain. It probably depends on your goals as well. If you literally just want to get as big and as strong as possible cardio may be counter intuitive but i don't think that's what you want necessarily.

So I decided to take some pics. Forgive the shitty resolution, but hopefully you guys can tell me if I was needlessly worrying about the skinny-fat thing:

UhnnDgN.jpg

4gJeV4w.jpg

You've got a bit of a gut there but you just look like someone who is currently bulking. You don't look that bad at all to me.

Oblivion

I'm not an expert so others here might be able to answer better but as far as i'm aware cardio doesn't burn off muscles. So long as you're getting enough calories/protein and the cardio isn't impacting your ability to stick to your lifting program it shouldn't hurt your muscle gain. It probably depends on your goals as well. If you literally just want to get as big and as strong as possible cardio may be counter intuitive but i don't think that's what you want necessarily.

Yeah, for the near future I'd like to go from skinny twig to lean. Eventually I'd like to have a physique like Jax from Sons of Anarchy (though slightly more ripped), but I know that's gonna take a few years.

You've got a bit of a gut there but you just look like someone who is currently bulking. You don't look that bad at all to me.

Hope you're right!

I'm already getting the feeling that cutting will be pretty tedious.

I'm worried that I'm not getting enough protein. The feeling of waking up in the morning and going to school on an empty stomach for 8 hours feels like a drag.

Thankfully I've made some homemade lemon water to clench my thirst.

Thanks. After reading a bit of it, I'm beginning to see where I went wrong. Still have to finish reading it up entirely.

What bothers me is that I have to start so low in the 1st week. Won't it weaken my muscles due to the lowered weight?

EDIT: nevermind the question gets answered further down in the article.

sphinx

the piano man
Hope you're right!

Cardio does nothing but good things, "Cardio kills gains" is one of the worst broscience shit there is. I can see how powerlifters would want to reserve their energy for more important goals but everybody else should go for some cardio-related activity. Play a sport, go do some jogging in your park, better your heartrate, learn how to breath, it's all good things.

what you should be doing is eating well, lots of protein and carb, a solid routine in the gym and you'll see very good gains in 6 months, the latest.

You have the perfect body to start this, you'll look great. Be thankful you don't have to get rid of 45 lbs of overweight or stuff like that, you are in a perfect position now.

Groof

OK FitGAF, I've finally hit my first weight goal after over a month of cutting, undershot it slightly even. Still have some excess fat that I'm not too fond of, but I assume that'll disappear in due time. However, I'd like some tips on how to best maintain my current weight!
Thanks again!

What bothers me is that I have to start so low in the 1st week. Won't it weaken my muscles due to the lowered weight?

I doubt it'll be noticeable, but even if you lose (or just simply don't gain a lot of) strength for the first week/month, I assume you're into weight training for the longterm. One or two months of limited progress will mean nothing 3 years from now, and I wouldn't even go as far as to say you won't make any gains in this period. 5/3/1 is all about slow, consistent, logical progression. It might feel a bit too light too start, but if you read the book carefully, you'll see that is nearly 100% what the author intends.

Really, the three main aspects of 5/3/1 are as follow:
1) Start light
2) Focus on multi-joint, compound movements
3) Progress slowly

You have to stick to the plan; don't go throwing on an extra 10 lbs every week above what is prescribed or you'll stall out too soon. No point in telling yourself you're "doing 5/3/1" if you're not actually sticking to it.

Been great reading FitGAF over the past few months while starting on the very early stages of weight training (finally) at the fresh young age of 32.

I'm coming up on a period (3-4 weeks) where I'll have the time, freedom, and extra food, to dedicate to more training than is currently feasible. I'll also have access to some high level olympic lifting coaching for technique during this time. I'm wondering if anyone has any input regarding this and could possible recommend the type of routine (if any) that might be appropriate.

I'm not sure myself that such a routine is wise, as I'm very much a beginner, and have only been putting in about 4 months at the gym regularly. Here's some background info:

Height: 6'2 (188 cm)
Weight: 240 (108 kg)
Current Routine: SL 5×5 (4 months)
I started with a small amount of weight on the bar (about 45 pounds) for most exercises, and deloaded about 20 pounds across all lifts in the first few weeks as I got worried I came out of the gate a bit hard.

Lift current status (all 5×5 bar DL which is 1×5) :
Squat: hit 275 pounds (125kg) with no deloads but was starting to get achey knees. Have backed off to 175 pounds (80kg) currently. Not working on progression (waiting on form coaching)

OHP: currently 155 (70kg). One deload. Pretty fucking hard, normally clear 5×5 on third session.

Bench: currently 187,5 pounds (85kg). No deloads. Similar as OHP, usually takes the full 3 sessions to clear 5×5. Think technique needs a lot of work.

Barbell Row: max 170 (77,5kg). Couldn't clear 175 and currently working back up from first deload. Hate this exercise and really need form help on the shoulderblade squeeze.

DL: currently 340 (155 kg). Linear progression. Love this exercise. Slightly worried about knee soreness from (assumed) squats. Double overhand, started to use chalk.

Equipment: no belt or straps, focusing hard on proper breathing/tensing. Time to use a belt?

Diet: above maintenance. 1 protein shake a day and creatine. Obviously I'm a fat dude, but not currently slimming down due to desire to maximize my first few months. March-May 2014 is focused completely on weight loss and muscle retention (paid paternity leave!).

Question: should I change from my linear progression routine in order to utilize my extra available training time? If so, what sort of routine would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through all this; any feedback is greatly appreciated.

TLDR: 32, 6'2 240 pounds. Still on linear gains from SL 5×5. Have a month to train 6 times a week and eat and sleep like crazy. Should I change anything up to best utilize this period or just soldier on with SL?

damn dude, you're busting out 155 5x5 OHP after only 4 months of working out? never did it before? shit, keep it up, sure you're heavy but sounds like it's translating into stronk quickly because of it. keep it up.

damn dude, you're busting out 155 5x5 OHP after only 4 months of working out? never did it before? shit, keep it up, sure you're heavy but sounds like it's translating into stronk quickly because of it. keep it up.

Thanks mate. Did a little home dumbbell work years ago. And was a bit more regular at fucking around on the machines a year ago but this is the first time I've had a routine and used the barbell. Really happy so far; just gotta get the sore knees sorted.

And while fat, I don't carry it too badly. Think I've got an ok frame to build on. But that's next years problem!

Cooter

My stomach is three times bigger than yours Oblivion and I've only been bulking for 1 week. Don't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom