• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alert Alert

Belt feels better at a larger size. GETTING FAT

Cut alert cut alert

Man, I ain't ready to go back...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fat sounds nice and we all know cutting is easy, the problem is it opens your mind for all these stupid questions.

"Man...shitty workout, I feel like I have no energy. Must be my cut..."

"Goddamn I'm tired. Might be the cut."

"Why can't I do more reps? Fucking cutting weight is doing it..."

etc etc.

OHP: currently 155 (70kg). One deload. Pretty fucking hard, normally clear 5×5 on third session.

OHP on 70 KG? on 5x5??

Jesus christ dude. That's monster.

I doubt it'll be noticeable, but even if you lose (or just simply don't gain a lot of) strength for the first week/month, I assume you're into weight training for the longterm. One or two months of limited progress will mean nothing 3 years from now, and I wouldn't even go as far as to say you won't make any gains in this period. 5/3/1 is all about slow, consistent, logical progression. It might feel a bit too light too start, but if you read the book carefully, you'll see that is nearly 100% what the author intends.

Really, the three main aspects of 5/3/1 are as follow:
1) Start light
2) Focus on multi-joint, compound movements
3) Progress slowly

You have to stick to the plan; don't go throwing on an extra 10 lbs every week above what is prescribed or you'll stall out too soon. No point in telling yourself you're "doing 5/3/1" if you're not actually sticking to it.

Thanks for clarifying. Soka. I've been thinking, and I believe, I jumped the gun on 5/3/1 a bit too early in my progress.

Squatting 125 kg, was somewhat relatively unchallenging, so I don't think I've reached my max yet. I think I'm gonna resume SS for at least 2 more months, and then go back to see if 5/3/1 is for me. I'll keep going on SS untill I've squeezed drop left in me. I still feel like I got some more juice I can get outta this lemon.

I have to admit I may have being overly eager to start a new routine to progress past untrained. During this period I'll keep reading into 5/3/1 though, and keep cutting as I do now.

my "fat" pants are starting to get a little tight but I am not ready to give up on bulking until March, might just see if I can come to work in tracksuits.

#foreverbulk

JmjG6wQ.jpg
NV7NLzz.jpg

damn, look at dat ass.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit FE I see the bulk! How do you like being a fledgling fat? Do you find yourself warmer? More solid? Being ex-fat myself I don't know this weird world of fitting into chairs, etc - I want to know what the other side of the coin is like.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol. Fatness GAF. Lifting weights shoveling chow.

Probably the body comp. of a silver back gorilla that's doing that...

; )

No shit! I just had a baconator, spicy chicken burger, fries and washed it down with that nasty fruitopia.

Saving my two extra chicken burgers for lunch tomorrow.

Thanks man. You're too kind. The dude was a little creepy though. Him and his buddy. After asking me I told him about iron sport method. Then he continued to stare and evaluate everything I did. I don't see myself as impressive or someone to be watched but little stuff like that is an ego boost. On another note and yeah it was my wife but when she parked in the garage and I opened the door for her she said " damn you look strong". Dat chest day pump and that L T-shirt, lol.

Bout to take my son to chucky cheese today now then come home and play some battlefield 4.

Bulksgiving!

Was going to lift during my lunch break today. Got to the gym and find that I packed two shirts and no shorts.

1) Turn the T-shirt upside down
2) Put your legs in through the arm holes. Might be a tight fit, but whatever, let your legs rip the sleeves
3) Pull the shirt up and tie it into a knot around your midsection to keep it from falling down
4) Lift big weights

1) Turn the T-shirt upside down
2) Put your legs in through the arm holes. Might be a tight fit, but whatever, let your legs rip the sleeves
3) Pull the shirt up and tie it into a knot around your midsection to keep it from falling down
4) Lift big weights

haha. I actually thought of trying something like that but decided against it. Of course, my gym sells branded t-shirts and hoodys, but no shorts from what I could tell.

abuC

Breakfast is the devil, the last couple weeks I've been eating a big breakfast and today is the first day that I've gone back to not eating it and my stomach has been screaming at me all day.

You gone learn today stomach!

rokkerkory

Chest round 1 for week today!

I weighed myself yesterday and sooooo close to 155lbs (154.3 to be exact). Going to up calories a bit more each day by 400-500.

Goal is 160lbs then start cutting in time for spring. \m/

I weighed myself yesterday and sooooo close to 155lbs (154.3 to be exact). Going to up calories a bit more each day by 400-500.

cut at 160? how tall are you? i'm only 5'9 or something but i was as thick as a piece of paper at 160

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If I chose to cut after gaining 5 more pounds my cut would start in 1 or 2 weeks! Haha

Mark1

Something occurred in my mind re my gym progress. I've noticed my chest is looking bigger, but how am I meant to know they are muscle or fat. I'd like to know if my pecs are developing.

As I've said, I have been getting stronger with these weights a lot.

rokkerkory

cut at 160? how tall are you? i'm only 5'9 or something but i was as thick as a piece of paper at 160

I am around your height as well. It's extremely hard for me to gain weight... the extra 5lbs will probably take another 3 months which is when I'd like to lean out for spring/summer. I am planning to go on vacay so want to look good on the beach. :D

Cooper

SL 5x5 has you start small and work up to your max for the 5th set. So its 155 for a set of 5. Still straight up beast mode though, not gonna lie.

The SL 5x5 program is five sets across except for DL, so I read Bjern's post as 5 sets of 5 reps at 155 pounds. Meanwhile, strstd.com says my OHP 1RM is 65 lbs. Bah.

Go_Ly_Dow

Something occurred in my mind re my gym progress. I've noticed my chest is looking bigger, but how am I meant to know they are muscle or fat. I'd like to know if my pecs are developing.

Hmmm fat feels squishy whilst muscle feels hard?

Put on a bra. If it looks good then those are man boobies and you are fat. If it looks bad then those are muscle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Time to see if my hip flexors are feeling any better. My hand's mostly good now. Gonna hit the gym hard if my flexors hold up! I love working my arms to bad I walk like an asshole. A swole asshole.

sphinx

the piano man
holy shit, going on thursday evening, 7:00 PM to the gym was a terrible idea. I normally arrive at the gym around 8:30 and start workout around 9:00 after stretching and whatever.

I stood in line for every single fucking piece of equpment I wanted to use, never again.

there is no way I'll go for PRs on my lifts with three guys waiting in line after me, fuck that, I need to breathe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit, going on thursday evening, 7:00 PM to the gym was a terrible idea. I normally arrive at the gym around 8:30 and start workout around 9:00 after stretching and whatever.

I stood in line for every single fucking piece of equpment I wanted to use, never again.

there is no way I'll go for PRs on my lifts with three guys waiting in line after me, fuck that, I need to breathe.
I hate feeling rushed. I shave about 15 mins off my program when there's a lot of people because I don't stop for air like I would if it were quieter.

Anyone else use a gym where people bring their shitty families? I think I need to change gyms that have an anti-bastard policy. Buncha little shits playing on the weights. The temptation to throw a dumbbell and give in to roid rage without roids was there when I saw one of them fart on a barbell.

Going against the grain here,

But if we're looking at bulking/muscle building as a marathon not a sprint, I think you'd be better served increasing caloric intake 400-500 a week or even over a month. Rushing weight gain, is just going to have you put on way more fat than muscle mass.

Cooter

Just was given 2 loaves of free sourdough bread from a local bakery. Looks like I found my late night snack for tonight! Toasted sourdough with lots of butter equals total win!

Pete Rock

Buncha little shits playing on the weights.
To be fair, I saw a 5 year old girl waiting for her mom to finish up her workout by utilizing the hip flexor machine in a totally inspired way - by sitting on the knee-pad while holding the opposite handle and using it like a solo teeter-totter. 2legit

sphinx

the piano man
I hate feeling rushed. I shave about 15 mins off my program when there's a lot of people because I don't stop for air like I would if it were quieter.

Anyone else use a gym where people bring their shitty families? I think I need to change gyms that have an anti-bastard policy. Buncha little shits playing on the weights. The temptation to throw a dumbbell and give in to roid rage without roids was there when I saw one of them fart on a barbell.

WAT.

in my gym nobody under 13 years of age is allowed, and that's correct like that as far as I am concerned.

Children have no business in a gym and it's dangerous, they aren't as aware of their surroundings and they run and play without thinking much and I guarantee it would be a matter of time until a guy unintentionally hits a kid with a dumbell.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I saw a 5 year old girl waiting for her mom to finish up her workout by utilizing the hip flexor machine in a totally inspired way - by sitting on the knee-pad while holding the opposite handle and using it like a solo teeter-totter. 2legit

lol. then I see adults do similar shit...

WAT.

in my gym nobody under 13 years of age is allowed, and that's correct like that as far as I am concerned.

Children have no business in a gym and it's dangerous, they aren't as aware of their surroundings and they run and play without thinking much and I guarantee it would be a matter of time until a guy unintentionally hits a kid with a dumbell.

Yeah, I agree completely. Little shits run around us too. Lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't want to hurt any kids period.

The SL 5x5 program is five sets across except for DL, so I read Bjern's post as 5 sets of 5 reps at 155 pounds. Meanwhile, strstd.com says my OHP 1RM is 65 lbs. Bah.

I've been doing 5x5 at working weight. Pretty sure that's how it's described in the ebook and it agrees with the app (which is sadly a bit broken now).

(Not technically a reply to Cooper, just replied to last post in the chain)

sphinx

the piano man
It warms my heart to see FE's pics and realize I am not the only one. lol

ever since I crossed the 69 kgs (152.5 lbs) barrier, These are the only shots I show: back pics

espaldanov_zps31387fe6.jpg

I like my back but trained eyes would definitely think "mmhhh,, there's seems to be a nice gut on the front part, tsk tsk, time to cut"

come on brah join CutGAF, after thanksgiving,

we'll look scrawny and small but we'll get nice abs!! EVERYBODY wants a sick pack, right!?....

right?

ever since I crossed the 69 kgs (152.5 lbs) barrier, These are the only shots I show: back pics

I like my back but trained eyes would definitely think "mmhhh,, there's seems to be a nice gut on the front part, tsk tsk, time to cut"

we'll look scrawny and small but we'll get nice abs!! EVERYBODY wants a sick pack, right!?....

right?

nah, you're looking good man. how tall are you? i think i'm one of the shorter/lighter posters here.

Cooter

right?
Oh man Sphinx, I would keep bulking. What you were doing was clearly working! Cut after 2013 is over!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I'm not fat, that's good to hear. :D

So how many calories should I consume daily? I've been doing 2,500 - 3,000 for the past month or so. And is gaining 2 lbs. a week too much, or okay?

sphinx

the piano man
nah, you're looking good man. how tall are you? i think i'm one of the shorter/lighter posters here.

I am quite small at 5'5 so 154 lbs, makes me look ..er.. stocky.. compared to my previous self one year ago. that time I was 132 lbs, that has been my lowest I think. .

Oh man Sphinx, I would keep bulking. What you were doing was clearly working! Cut after 2013 is over!

the truth is, I recently saw a comment by Noema that somehow clicked with me, he said to someone else "as a novice, don't bulk or cut, just eat well, high on protein and carbs" .. and I think that's what I have to do. I went on to eat all sorts of shit: pizza, burgers, pastries, etc. and something wasn't right, I really looked like shit, like an wrinkled old guy, strange, just not nice. it's been a week since I tried to change my eating habits and I have seen positives changes, I took some front pics that I liked, for instance....

cutting is for guys with plenty of muscles to uncover (bodybuilders) and mass bulking (as in, you are a dump for all food that crosses your path) is for powerlifters or high intensity sport guys or atheltes that rely on strength (football players, wrestlers..etc) to suceed.

Cooter

the truth is, I recently saw a comment by Noema that somehow clicked with me, he said to someone else "as a novice, don't bulk or cut, just eat well, high on protein and carbs" .. and I think that's what I have to do. I went on to eat all sorts of shit: pizza, burgers, pastries, etc. and something wasn't right, I really looked like shit, like an wrinkled old guy, strange, just not nice. it's been a week since I tried to change my eating habits and I have seen positives changes, I took some front pics that I liked, for instance....

cutting is for guys with plenty of muscles to uncover (bodybuilders) and mass bulking (as in, you are a dump for all food that crosses your path) is for powerlifters or high intensity sport guys or atheltes that rely on strength (football players, wrestlers..etc) to suceed.
I think that is a great plan. I thought you were cutting but apparently you are not. Good!

Chocobro

You didn't ask me but I'm 5'9" and I weigh 135 lb now, so I'm pretty light for my height on Fit-GAF :T I was at 130 lb about two months ago. I'm still slowly increasing my weight.

The coming month or two is going to be glorious (after finals of course). Going to the gym, hopefully learning to drive, and applying for jobs and such. My goals before New Years is to get one plate 5RM on the squat and DL; I probably would've been much closer to the goals if it wasn't for exams, group projects, and university gym closing early near holiday times.

sphinx

the piano man
I think that is a great plan. I thought you were cutting but apparently you are not. Good!

I actually had it in mind!

I am kinda sorta having a cut mentality right now by keeping an eye on what I eat but is not a true, real, long, cut phase, like a bodybuilder preparing for competition would do. god, lol, I'd show bones if I did that, XD

the truth is, It's just eating better, nothing else.

but I like to be part of a team, so it's #teamcut for now.

EDIT:: Kevo_Huevo and Chocobro, I'd like to add I am nearly 36 years old, so it's easier to put weight as you get older.... for better or worse. >_>

Cooter

I am kinda sorta having a cut mentality right now by keeping an eye on what I eat but is not a true, real, long, cut phase, like a bodybuilder preparing for competition would do. god, lol, I'd show bones if I did that, XD

EDIT:: Kevo_Huevo and Chocobro, I'd like to add I am nearly 36 years old, so it's easier to put weight as you get older.... for better or worse. >_>
Well I've jumped fully on #teambulk! You will barely recognize me when I post a pic of me at the end of this bulk.

blackflag

Going against the grain here,

But if we're looking at bulking/muscle building as a marathon not a sprint, I think you'd be better served increasing caloric intake 400-500 a week or even over a month. Rushing weight gain, is just going to have you put on way more fat than muscle mass.

No way, 400-500 per day should limit serious fat gain if you are training right. 500 cals per week or month? lol So if it would take 7 weeks to add 1 lb of fat how long you think it would take to add any muscle. That idea is not good.

You didn't ask me but I'm 5'9" and I weigh 135 lb now, so I'm pretty light for my height on Fit-GAF :T I was at 130 lb about two months ago. I'm still slowly increasing my weight.

The coming month or two is going to be glorious (after finals of course). Going to the gym, hopefully learning to drive, and applying for jobs and such. My goals before New Years is to get one plate 5RM on the squat and DL; I probably would've been much closer to the goals if it wasn't for exams, group projects, and university gym closing early near holiday times.

Keep at it man. We gotta rep for the lightweights!

LOL I think my metabolism shut down the minute after I graduated college, and I'm 27 (28 in Jan). I can put on weight a lot easier now so I decided to embrace it #teambulk
2014 is gonna be about cutting since I'll be joining a couple of basketball leagues at the beginning of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom