• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Oh wow another bodybuilder passed away yesterday. Greg Kovacs, dude was a mountain at 6'5" died at the age of 44.

Heart failure

sphinx

the piano man
Well I've jumped fully on #teambulk! You will barely recognize me when I post a pic of me at the end of this bulk.

I think many of us will want to see that!

I think I will have a big smile on my face and say out loud " daaaaaamn, just look at that muddafucker" and feel all excited and motivated. :D

I hope you took pics before you started your bulk! before/afters are always the best.

I want to take a seflie that really convinces me and pair it with a pic from 15 months ago. I think it will look good. I just have to find the right one...

No way, 400-500 per day should limit serious fat gain if you are training right. 500 cals per week or month? lol So if it would take 7 weeks to add 1 lb of fat how long you think it would take to add any muscle. That idea is not good.

Misread what he said, I assume he means to eat 500kcal over maintenance daily, which is actually a good way to go about things.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think many of us will want to see that!

I think I will have a big smile on my face and say out loud " daaaaaamn, just look at that muddafucker" and feel all excited and motivated. :D

I hope you took pics before you started your bulk! before/afters are always the best.

I want to take a seflie that really convinces me and pair it with a pic from 15 months ago. I think it will look good. I just have to find the right one...
I've looked the same for months now prior to starting this bulk. I can just use one from a month or two ago. I'm posting pre bulk, post, and post cut. All at once. Should be around March.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hip flexors good. Squatted heavy and often. All is right with the world. Got that weird hum afterwards though when you overdo it a little - where your body feels like it's vibrating just a little bit, a shock to your CNS. Gonna lie down.

Daud

Neo Member
My last two trainings have been a blast. I'm in my second cycle of 5/3/1.

Last Saturday, I was supposed to try 135 lbs for 3 at the press. My PR prior to that was 4 x at 130. Grabbed the bar furious and did 4 reps, it felt real great, almost light. I often get a boost when I reach another plate. Next week is 140 for a single and I'm so pumped.

This evening was DL day. My personal best was 6 reps at 265, was supposed to do 3 reps at 275 and managed 5, with correct form. Next up is a single at 290 though, haha, that's a lot.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well, well, well... Evidence of my bulk has already surfaced. Deadlift day and it was cake.

5x275
5x315
5x365
5x405
5x455

Going up next week. Planning on ending at 475x5.

Konka

Banned
Hey fitness GAF here is my issue. I don't really want to be bulky or anything and I don't really need to lose weight in theory but I do need some help. I'm like 6"1 165 lbs but I've started to develop a gut/spare tire. So my BMI is fine but is does bother me where the fat is. Basically skinny everywhere but the gut, and it's not that awful but it seems like it's the only place there is actually fat on my body.

Any advise for workouts? I can't really afford to own a gym. I have a couple 20 pound dumbbells but I want to do away with this fat and maybe gain some muscle, but not a crazy amount...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I'm not fat, that's good to hear. :D

So how many calories should I consume daily? I've been doing 2,500 - 3,000 for the past month or so. And is gaining 2 lbs. a week too much, or okay?

Anyone? Gotta leave for the gym soon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I swear AC:New Leaf just knows me. Tomorrow Sheldon moves in who is apparently gym animal whose all about being swole.

I got a mouse that lifts and a baboon that does too. My favorite pals in AC:NL. I built a space gym. IN SPACE YOU CAN LIFT FOREVER

rokkerkory

Misread what he said, I assume he means to eat 500kcal over maintenance daily, which is actually a good way to go about things.

Yeah that's what I meant. I can't really count my calories exactly each day but I am shooting for 3000 calories a day which is extremely hard for me with my crazy schedule. I might have to add milk in my regiment which I don't like too much.

I meal prep as much as possible... eating lots of chicken, oats, almonds, sweet potato and of course protein shakes.

It's working so far but slowly... 8lbs over 6 months or so?

abuC

Oh wow another bodybuilder passed away yesterday. Greg Kovacs, dude was a mountain at 6'5" died at the age of 44.

Heart failure

Safe to assume roids played a part in this?

Edit - Just saw his pic, drugs definitely played a part

11799d1027593330-greg-kovacs-heavygreg11.jpg

RIP though, sucks he died so young.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

RIP Kovacs. Greg was very well known as an extremely reckless participant in the chemical warfare against small muscles. I met his chemist once, and just hearing some of the mixes he was taking was mind blowing.

The coolest rumor was that he had actually developed a fourth deltoid head. I was told that his shoulders had gotten so big and due to the amount of site injections in his deltoids that a muscle that usually sits underneath the largest head of the deltoid pushed itself out. It needed more space.

Dude was a monster.

Imm0rt4l

Undoubtedly.

People often understate/estimate how detrimental to your health the stuff can be when abused . Steroids increase blood volume which leads to an enlarged heart. Enlarged hearts are inneficient in delivering oxygen to heart muscle and systemic tissues. The heart muscle dies if it doesnt get enough oxygen.

So many great bodybuilders have died young, hell even Arnold had a couple of heart surgeries years after not using.

It's ironic that some of those are seen as the peak of health/fitness have lower life expectancies. A woman just died like 2 months ago in her 40's I believe, but that was probably due to diuretics, she was absolutely shredded.

RIP Kovacs. Greg was very well known as an extremely reckless participant in the chemical warfare against small muscles. I met his chemist once, and just hearing some of the mixes he was taking was mind blowing.

The coolest rumor was that he had actually developed a fourth deltoid head. I was told that his shoulders had gotten so big and due to the amount of site injections in his deltoids that a muscle that usually sits underneath the largest head of the deltoid pushed itself out. It needed more space.

Dude was a monster.

hgh, I'm guessing.

dat dere hyperplasia

J. Bravo

Okay, so I'm not fat, that's good to hear. :D

So how many calories should I consume daily? I've been doing 2,500 - 3,000 for the past month or so. And is gaining 2 lbs. a week too much, or okay?
3000 doesn't really seem like that much but I don't remember how big you are. I ate 2330 in one sitting the other day.

2lbs a week seems fine.

entremet

Heart failure

Man, the stacks these mass monsters take isn't good for your body. It's not just steroids, but super doses of IGF1, Insulin, and pharmaceutical grade fat burners. It's just crazy. And then the dosages.

I've read that the stacks that guys like Arnold or Lou Ferrigno ran were nothing what wannabe Jersey shore types run these days. It's crazy. The dosages are insane.

Imm0rt4l

Man, the stacks these mass monsters take isn't good for your body. It's not just steroids, but super doses of IGF1, Insulin, and pharmaceutical grade fat burners. It's just crazy. And then the dosages.

I've read that the stacks that guys like Arnold or Lou Ferrigno ran were nothing what wannabe Jersey shore types run these days. It's crazy. The dosages are insane.

Yea, I have no real reference point when I see the dosages. But when I see monsters telling guys like zyzz that he's taking stupid high doeses, then I can only imagine guys like him are cruisin for a bruisin.

entremet

Yea, I have no real reference point when I see the dosages. But when I see monsters telling guys like zyzz that he's taking stupid high doeses, then I can only imagine guys like him are cruisin for a bruisin.

Well during Arnold's days, it was all pharma grade, so it was measured accurately and had some quality control.

Now everything is underground and you have no idea what you're taking. Stuff is being made underground labs. That's a reason why the dosages are higher.

I've read a lot of about gear and it just seems like an hassle if you're not making millions of dollars of it such a pro athlete or movie star.

You don't need gear to look good on the beach. Just hard work, good eating habits and consistency.

Imm0rt4l

Well during Arnold's days, it was all pharma grade, so it was measured accurately and had some quality control.

Now everything is underground and you have no idea what you're taking. Stuff is being made underground labs. That's a reason why the dosages are higher.

I've read a lot of about gear and it just seems like an hassle if you're not making millions of dollars of it such a pro athlete or movie star.

You don't need gear to look good on the beach. Just hard work, good eating habits and consistency.

oh yea, I'm aware of that. I'm referring to the actual dosages of drugs. When I see testosterone of x cc(not sure how these things are measured) or whatever ever few days or week, I have no idea what's 'normal' and what's 'mass monster'. I'm pretty sure not all drugs are underground though, but the lab made stuff is more expensive. I know tren is a drug that can only be made underground though, not sure of any other designer drugs. The prospect of injecting something that some random guy made in his bath tub is scary to me.

J. Bravo

oh yea, I'm aware of that. I'm referring to the actual dosages of drugs. When I see testosterone of x cc(not sure how these things are measured) or whatever ever few days or week, I have no idea what's 'normal' and what's 'mass monster'. I'm pretty sure not all drugs are underground though, but the lab made stuff is more expensive. I know tren is a drug that can only be made underground though, not sure of any other designer drugs. The prospect of injecting something that some random guy made in his bath tub is scary to me.

well, when I was researching testosterone and contemplating doing a cycle, I found that a 20ml vial of test would last me 10-12 weeks. that's 500mg a week at 200-250mg/ml. that's a normal dosage (for a first cycle, anyway).

that's just pure test e or prop or w/e you're taking. I didn't look into steroids such as deca, tren, clen, winstrol, etc.

Ok so my foray into front squats lasted all of 5 minutes. I fractured a few of my fingers last year and they never really recovered properly and now i can't straighten them, my hand also has reduced flexibility. I'd probably need surgery to fix the problem but i don't want to go that far. I just found it really hard to get my hand into a proper position to actually do front squats.

I decided to do power cleans for the first time today. They really are an awesome exercise, i can see it being a bit of a favorite of mine. We'll see how i feel once i'm lifting a bit heavier though lol.

Hey fitness GAF here is my issue. I don't really want to be bulky or anything and I don't really need to lose weight in theory but I do need some help. I'm like 6"1 165 lbs but I've started to develop a gut/spare tire. So my BMI is fine but is does bother me where the fat is. Basically skinny everywhere but the gut, and it's not that awful but it seems like it's the only place there is actually fat on my body.

Any advise for workouts? I can't really afford to own a gym. I have a couple 20 pound dumbbells but I want to do away with this fat and maybe gain some muscle, but not a crazy amount...

I'd probably advise you to start with the OP, that's probably why no one has responded. Muscle is not easy to gain, that's the whole reason we're all in this thread talking about routines and working so hard to gain muscle. Seriously you can spend months doing the workouts listed in the OP and only see small amounts of muscle gain.

If you can't go to the gym i'd recommend looking up some body weight routines. Pushups, pull ups, dips etc there are lots of exercises you can do at home. Maybe something like p90x would be up your alley. I'd also highly recommend doing some HIIT training.

I cant really help you much more than that though, i'm not really familiar with routines you can just do at home.

Ok so my foray into front squats lasted all of 5 minutes. I fractured a few of my fingers last year and they never really recovered properly and now i can't straighten them, my hand also has reduced flexibility. I'd probably need surgery to fix the problem but i don't want to go that far. I just found it really hard to get my hand into a proper position to actually do front squats.

You could try the arms-folded method of front squats. I think the only time they're really accepted is in the case of a hand injury or flexibility issue, so it wouldn't be an awful idea to try them out. Just a thought.

You could try the arms-folded method of front squats. I think the only time they're really accepted is in the case of a hand injury or flexibility issue, so it wouldn't be an awful idea to try them out. Just a thought.

I did think about that but from what i was reading it seems like that sort of goes against what the lift was intended to do. I think i'll just stick to back squats because i can do them properly.

I hope this fasting shit gets better after the first week.

It's making me fucking moody and unfocused.

Intermittent fasting is basically what i normally do without trying. I often skip breakfast and at work lunch as well. I'm trying to get out of that habit because i struggle to get enough protein that way.

Intermittent fasting is basically what i normally do without trying. I often skip breakfast and at work lunch as well. I'm trying to get out of that habit because i struggle to get enough protein that way.

I get what you're saying. But In this case I'm going on a daily fasting on 16 hours ratio. 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of fasting, and finally a 8 hour window for eating.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I get what you're saying. But In this case I'm going on a daily fasting on 16 hours ratio. 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of fasting, and finally a 8 hour window for eating.

I was accidentally doing IF for a long time. No breakfast, haul ass to work, work till lunch, eat fuckloads, full the rest of the evening. It's easy for me, but my brother for instance? He can't get his day going without food. I'm fueled on hunger.

I was accidentally doing IF for a long time. No breakfast, haul ass to work, work till lunch, eat fuckloads, full the rest of the evening. It's easy for me, but my brother for instance? He can't get his day going without food. I'm fueled on hunger.

I'm staying strong brother!... it's just my brain trying to work against me.

15 minutes more and my fasting is done, I'm gonna jump on the two nearest bananas and savagely rip them to shreds like a hungry beast.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My fucking belt notch scare has me concerned. Then I see FE's Bonus 30 Lbs pic and I'm like shit, why not a guy like me? and I look for a box of frosted miniwheats.

I hope this fasting shit gets better after the first week.

It's making me fucking moody and unfocused.

it's easier to do things like IF if you gradually move into it. the body usually isn't too happy about an overnight change from gouging out whenever you want to being starved half the day lol, it's easier for it to adjust to a gradual change when it comes to something like that. but the beginning is the only hard part if you just jump in i guess.

sphinx

the piano man

my first advice is to look for a park or free area near you with some "street workout" equipment like double bars and a single bar and maybe a bench.

from the top of my had, with what you have, I'd do:

Arms: bicep curls and kickbacks (with your dumbbells)
Shoulder: Shrugs (with the dumbbells), Handstand Push-ups
Chest: Push-ups with variations,
Core:Leg raises lying on a bench or a bank Crunches with variations (be careful with form here you can hurt your back with these), Planks
Legs, Bodysquats (or Air squat), Pistol Squats when bodysquats are easy.
Back: Pull-ups/Chinups, you need a single bar for these. so go to a park and find it :)

Don't worry, you won't get big or muscled, just in nice shape.

it's easier to do things like IF if you gradually move into it. the body usually isn't too happy about an overnight change from gouging out whenever you want to being starved half the day lol, it's easier for it to adjust to a gradual change when it comes to something like that. but the beginning is the only hard part if you just jump in i guess.

Oh man the feeling of being able to gorge down two tasty bananas has never felt so good as it did 5 minutes ago.

I think FE is actually E. Honda.

What's everyone doing thanksgiving morning? It's supposed to be my deload deadlift day but i might bump up 10% or so, even those of us on a diet gotta take advantage of the turkey day backload.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

What's everyone doing thanksgiving morning? It's supposed to be my deload deadlift day but i might bump up 10% or so, even those of us on a diet gotta take advantage of the turkey day backload.
Deadlift. Then going to watch inmates for the remainder of the night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanksgibbons morning is deadlifts for myself as well. Can't wait. Then, when my body cries out for food, I will drown in it.

Chocobro

Going to the nearby gym because my university gym is closed. Squats, OHP, and pull-ups. I need to get 3x5x120 done or I'll be a sad for the rest of the day... I'll probably try out the prowlers they have while I'm there. After that, I'm going straight to my cousin's place to eat and chill out. He might challenge me to a push-up contest after I said I can do a lot more after a few months of SS, a few weeks ago.

Bulksgiving will consist of my upper split:
bench
bent over bb rows
ohp
weighted pullup/dips
maybe curls

If it's empty I'll probably shoot some jumpers to get warmed up. My SI Joint is super stiff in the mornings when I first wake up.

Progress on my SS program going well. Have been able to keep mostly continuous increases in weight added each exercise! Only thing I had trouble with was OHP and Power Cleans (I didn't start low enough) so I reset them lower and it's been going better so far.

I did my Monday lifts and its now Wednesday though and I have a kink/tension in my lower back near the base of my spine. The rest of my body feels fine but its definitely noticable? What do you guys think? Lifting has been one of my major stress relievers lately and I'd rather not miss another day (I had to take a break day last Monday due to a family emergency).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Progress on my SS program going well. Have been able to keep mostly continuous increases in weight added each exercise! Only thing I had trouble with was OHP and Power Cleans (I didn't start low enough) so I reset them lower and it's been going better so far.

I did my Monday lifts and its now Wednesday though and I have a kink/tension in my lower back near the base of my spine. The rest of my body feels fine but its definitely noticable? What do you guys think? Lifting has been one of my major stress relievers lately and I'd rather not miss another day (I had to take a break day last Monday due to a family emergency).

lower right?

Szu

So, I had another physical therapy session last night. I tried a new routine.

Bench press (not exactly). I was "benching" a light bar with about 4 lbs on it. The goal of this routine was to regain some flexibility around my elbow joints. I mentioned that I still had some stiffness in both my elbows.

My therapist asked me if I did bench press during my weight training workouts. I confirmed it. Then, she told me that I should probably cut down on it.

Sure. *wink wink*

Seriously, I'll definitely be more conscious of my elbow, but I'm not going to completely give up on benching.

Well, I'll probably have to take it easy in terms of weight. But I'm not worried, it's not like I have another elbow to break.

J. Bravo

I got deadlifts tomorrow. Its deload week though. Probably go ham on the back work.gonna start doing a lot more assistance so I can attempt to put on size

Remembered to pack shorts this time. Pretty pumped to squat today. I might go tomorrow morning as well depending on how amateur night works out since I missed Monday.

J. Bravo

oh also, i was talking to a couple of my friends and my recent PRs came up. they seemed to think that if I was pulling 405, i should be squatting quite a bit more than 315. what is the typical ratio between those 2 lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom