• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What's up GAF... still making good gains on SS, but I'm EXHAUSTED lately during my workouts. Any suggestions?

Chocobro

oh also, i was talking to a couple of my friends and my recent PRs came up. they seemed to think that if I was pulling 405, i should be squatting quite a bit more than 315. what is the typical ratio between those 2 lifts?

I think I remember seeing a ratio being thrown here like DL is about 150% of your squat. I have friends who have unusual ratios; one can squat ~360 lbs but can only DL around 220 lbs (61%), another can DL 405 lb but can only squat 225 lb (180%). It's a result of training one lift way more than the other.

What is SS?

I sometimes eat mid workout like an apple or sweet fruit.

SS = Starting Strength

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's up GAF... still making good gains on SS, but I'm EXHAUSTED lately during my workouts. Any suggestions?

Eat more is the correct answer! MORE MORE MORE! Think you're done? Eat more. SS is an aggressive program and you must feed the beast!

EDIT: Oh, DURING. Well uh, keep working. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time in between sets. I'm guilty of doing my workout, coming home and feeling like I have a LOT more left in the tank. If I had just paced myself more I would have pushed myself harder at the gym.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No pretty positive its the lower center.

I had something similar happen to the lower right side of my back. I was doing both squats and deadlifts every session, so I think that may have just been too much for me. It was when I first began and I was untrained (still am, really). It's mostly better now, but I'm definitely more careful with the deadlifts.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
oh also, i was talking to a couple of my friends and my recent PRs came up. they seemed to think that if I was pulling 405, i should be squatting quite a bit more than 315. what is the typical ratio between those 2 lifts?
Everyone is different. Your ratio looks perfectly normal to me. Obviously the order from heaviest lift should be DL>squat>bench>OHP but the exact ratios differ among the individual.

sphinx

the piano man
so since I haven't been able to progress on the DL due to sweaty hands and failing grip, I am a click away from buying LIQUID GRIP

it's actually very cheap for what it is, but is it the real deal??

guys doing heavy DLs in my gym use straps, all of them. if noone uses it in my gym, I can't help being a bit skeptical about it...

should I buy??

J. Bravo

so since I haven't been able to progress on the DL due to sweaty hands and failing grip, I am a click away from buying LIQUID GRIP

it's actually very cheap for what it is, but is it the real deal??

guys doing heavy DLs in my gym use straps, all of them. if noone uses it in my gym, I can't help being a bit skeptical about it...

should I buy??

yes it works great. chalk is a godsend. I don't want to use straps until i absolutely have to. which i don't see happening any time soon.

I think I remember seeing a ratio being thrown here like DL is about 150% of your squat. I have friends who have unusual ratios; one can squat ~360 lbs but can only DL around 220 lbs (61%), another can DL 405 lb but can only squat 225 lb (180%). It's a result of training one lift way more than the other.

Everyone is different. Your ratio looks perfectly normal to me. Obviously the order from heaviest lift should be DL>squat>bench>OHP but the exact ratios differ among the individual.
awesome. I just read an article that says 3:4:5 for bench:squat:deadlift. that would be sick and is my next goal I guess.

Go_Ly_Dow

resting between sets....

how much is too little and how much is too long?

always here broscience on "DON'T REST TOO LONG COS YOU RECOVER AND WON'T GROW"

bull/truth?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
resting between sets....

how much is too little and how much is too long?

always here broscience on "DON'T REST TOO LONG COS YOU RECOVER AND WON'T GROW"

bull/truth?

I've always felt that you simply rest until you're ready. Usually falls around 1:30 for me. Anywhere from 30 secs to 2 mins. It's better to rest a little longer than fail a set.

sphinx

the piano man
any of the regulars here go back to past OTs to reread what you once said?.

it's mindblowing..

take this for instance:

Sphinx said:
- how long till I have a solid, not flabby stomach assuming I am eating properly and doing a daily workout routine of 6 different abdominal excersizes for a total of 180 reps?

I can't stop laughing at it, really I am laughing my ass off in front of my laptop as I post this. .

J. Bravo

I always thought it meant 300/400/500 lbs. As in you're just a strong mofo if you can hit those numbers plain and simple
that is what it means. I'm pretty sure I'll hit those numbers in a year or so. Not planning on slowing down to too much. I'd prefer 315/405/500 but can't always get what you want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still probably in "untrained" status, but my bench is around 75% of my squat (low-bar), which is around 85% of my deadlift.

Now, these aren't "one rep max" values or anything, since I have no good reason to even determine those. They're just based off what I'm doing for my 5 rep sets.

Losing strength while fasting really shows.

I was struggling doing 3x5 115 squat, and my OHP has definitely weakend - I couldn't complete the last set (5/5/4).

Man I hope the end results are worth it.

Sometimes I feel like the number of reps I can do is inhibited by the amount of air I take in. Even if I take a deep breath it almost feels like the air isn't getting into my blood / muscles fast enough.

Does that sound normal and is this something cardio would help?

rokkerkory

Hey guys, wanted your input and help. One of my biggest goals right now is to grow my chest. I am an ectomorph/slim body type and have been getting decent weight gains and growth over this past year however I really want my chest to be nicely developed. I am not worried about shaping it too much right now but growth as I am in my bulking cycle.

What I need input on: I am currently lifting heavy chest twice a week. Is it recommended that I up this to 3 times a week? Would that be too much and impact the time muscle needs to rest and heal in order to grow? I am not trying at all to be huge, but to have a decent sized chest.

This pic hopefully shows the growth I've gotten so far this year (sorry for the crap quality). Thanks for the help.

46873_10152012959073758_456003591_n.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

it's mindblowing..

take this for instance:

I can't stop laughing at it, really I am laughing my ass off in front of my laptop as I post this. .

Yeah mine is pretty bad lol.

Eat more, sleep more, longer breaks and you might need to work on your conditioning.

Ekdrm2d1

@ Cooter, Sean, Shu, etc. etc.

So... tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I could care less about getting fat. If anything, I want to over-eat and enjoy myself. Totally the opposite of last year! Last year, I was majorly concerned with gaining weight and being fat.

My fitness injury has gotten a lot better within the past 2 months. I'm almost healed!
My PT said she's noticed my muscle gain <3

A little drunk * Eve of Thanksgiving lol
Trying to display my biceps, triceps, and shoulders.
I love my body. Thanks guys!!

An extra special shout out to Mr. Shu

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I went to the gym today, and something unusual happened. I got an okay-ish work out done, but my arms were in immense pain. Mind you, I'm not talking about the typical dull soreness type pain that you get from working out, nor the sharp kind that you get from pulling a muscle or what have you. This felt quite a bit different, as if someone's been punching me in the arms for like ten minutes. They were actually throbbing.

I never felt that before on my work outs, but it's worth pointing out that today was the first time I focused a lot more on negative reps (or whatever they're called. You know, when you lower the bar slowly when you're going down).

it's mindblowing..

take this for instance:

I did that once. Never again though, far too embarrassing.

First things first, I hope that everyone is going to have a great Thanksgiving. Relax, kick your feet up and enjoy the day.

Second, thank you for all the love. The comments and compliments just make me smile. I visted my mom yesterday and she is telling me that I am too big and "have no neck". As dumb as it sounds, her saying that just made me real happy haha.

Oh shit FE I see the bulk! How do you like being a fledgling fat? Do you find yourself warmer? More solid? Being ex-fat myself I don't know this weird world of fitting into chairs, etc - I want to know what the other side of the coin is like.

Yeah fitting into chairs can be a pain at time. They aren't wide enough. I love the solid feel but hate the bloated feeling. My attire most of the time is a plain shirt and a hoodie. It is how I stay comfortable. Wearing button downs suck right now.

lol damn FE, when you cutting? Never?

I'm an ex obese. Too scared to bulk like that haha.

I plan to do a cut from Feb to July. Just more of a slow cut/recomp. I think I might be 270 lbs by then but really, who knows. I know there is a lot more fat gained than muscle but whatever. Easier to lose the fat than gain muscle.

dayum, not someone I want to run into in a dark alley for sure

I'm a friendly guy, I promise!

oh my god

My jaw actually dropped when I saw these photos.

You look fucking huge.

Thanks dood! <3

I think FE is actually E. Honda.

I do main Honda in SF and Taka in VF.

My fucking belt notch scare has me concerned. Then I see FE's Bonus 30 Lbs pic and I'm like shit, why not a guy like me? and I look for a box of frosted miniwheats.

#foreverbulk

In 2 workouts i'll have my first lift reach 100kg pretty excited for it. Just wondering though i feel like my squat is going to peak fairly soon, i'm still reaching my PR's but i can feel it coming. If i'm say at 100-110kg how much should i look at deloading? I want to keep going on SS for a few more months if possible.

Imm0rt4l

strong man Mike Jenkins died this morning in his sleep. I feel bad for his family, what a horrible Thanksgiving it must be for them.

^^^

General consensus for a deload is 10%

Only that much? Hmm minimum weights at my gym are 1.25 kg which means you have to go up 2.5 kg each workout. SS has you doing squats 3 times a week. So if you're at 100kg and deload 10% it will only take 4 workouts or about 8 days to be back where you were. Doesn't seem like much.

sphinx

the piano man
strong man Mike Jenkins died this morning in his sleep. I feel bad for his family, what a horrible Thanksgiving it must be for them.

are these early deaths always related to taking prohibited substances? I read he just won arnold's classic last year.

shame, RIP

Imm0rt4l

are these early deaths always related to taking prohibited substances? I read he just won arnold's classic last year.

shame, RIP
Usually they are, I'm sure they played a part. His case was a little unusual since he was like 6'6" 390lbs iirc, drugs can only exacerbate matters really.

Mark1

I have either not been eating enough protein or my squats and bench press are starting to plateau. It's been nearly two months since I started the beginner's routine, what would be the best course of action to take in this situation?

Stannis

I think I'm done with the whole bulking/cutting/myfitnesspal/calorie counting for a while.

I'm going to just eat, do my 5/3/1 lifts four days a week, hill sprints three times a week and see where I end up.

I really like Wenlder's 'just train to be awesome' mentality, and it will be nice just give my mind a break.

yeah just do heavy chest twice a week. if you want more size maybe add some more volume. couple exercises of 3-5x12-15 ish.

I second this. Stick to doing heavy work twice a week, but you can add in something like dumbbell press at sets/reps similar to what Qwark suggested if you want.

spootime

Not sure if its been mentioned but the adidas adipower lifting shoes are 140 (60 bucks off) on elitefts for their black friday sale.

Almost had a blackout today.

Every lift has dropped, and so has my strength. As expected.

Fasting is getting more tolerable, but still tedious.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I think I'm done with the whole bulking/cutting/myfitnesspal/calorie counting for a while.

I'm going to just eat, do my 5/3/1 lifts four days a week, hill sprints three times a week and see where I end up.

I really like Wenlder's 'just train to be awesome' mentality, and it will be nice just give my mind a break.

Man, my progress would come to a near immediate halt if I stopped counting calories. I used to think I ate a lot... that is, until I looked at the numbers. According to MFP I've logged my food 180 consecutive days now, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. To hit 3500 calories every single day by guessing would drive me nuts. My estimates are often off, and there's no way I could accurately keep track of my protein intake every day.

So yeah, good luck man, but I know for a fact that I would actually be exerting MORE effort trying to guess my daily intakes as opposed to recording them accurately (and quickly) with a scale and MFP.

You get used to it actually. I don't really track my diet these days even when cutting. I just know from experience how much everything I eat is worth, so it becomes rather easy to just eye ball.

Would I do it for a show? Of course not. But if I eat about the same weight of chicken breast in a meal every time, the macros aren't going to change much. It only gets out of hand when you start eating things you don't normally eat.

sphinx

the piano man
Man, my progress would come to a near immediate halt if I stopped counting calories. I used to think I ate a lot... that is, until I looked at the numbers. According to MFP I've logged my food 180 consecutive days now, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. To hit 3500 calories every single day by guessing would drive me nuts. My estimates are often off, and there's no way I could accurately keep track of my protein intake every day.

So yeah, good luck man, but I know for a fact that I would actually be exerting MORE effort trying to guess my daily intakes as opposed to recording them accurately (and quickly) with a scale and MFP.

this and darth's comment are the real deal.

it all comes down to this: simple math, numbers.

I wish I had your perseverance, guys, I also try to "calculate" but I know it's like MrOogieboogie says, I am surely eating less and doing mostly mantainance instead of slightly over that as I should,

I am trying to eat better now and I know I am eating the right stuff but I think the numbers wouldn't look like they should.

it takes so much discipline... -_- I will get to that someday, I just have to be convinced about it and start taking breakfast, I hate eating before midday...:/

rokkerkory

yeah just do heavy chest twice a week. if you want more size maybe add some more volume. couple exercises of 3-5x12-15 ish.

I second this. Stick to doing heavy work twice a week, but you can add in something like dumbbell press at sets/reps similar to what Qwark suggested if you want.

Okay thanks guys. I may add a bit more volume then... I always try to hit a certain rep per set regardless if I can't. I take a short pause and keep going until I can hit that rep count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom