• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Sorry to hear that, man. As a physically active person, injuries have always been the worst. They put me in a state of depression unlike anything. So I feel for you, I do. If it's any consolation, you can still find ways to workout and stay relatively fit. First, get this:

Iron+Gym+Pull+Up+Bar.jpg

You can absolutely do pull-ups. They're a fantastic workout, and you can maintain lots of upper-body strength by doing them every day.

In addition, you can probably do push-ups if you keep your leg elevated. Again, do them every day. Also, find a way to do dips (like between two chairs--just make sure you've got plenty of room for the descent and that they're sturdy), and you'll continue to develop strength and muscle everywhere but your legs. Which is unfortunate, but at least it's something, and when you return you can hop on a beginner strength program that has you squatting three times a week and before you know it your legs will be developed again.

Oh noooo! Well brother every day is upper body day now!

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I won't lose too much. I already upped my protein intake to ensure I don't lose too much, while also keeping my calories under 1900/day.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How did I miss this?! Good for you Boogie. Dis dun be good!

Yup, it's exciting. Getting quite a few comments lately, like, "Bro, you're looking big..."

I'm still just a hair under 160 lbs right now (almost 18 pounds gained since I began my bulk), but because I've never been 160 in my life to people who know me I'm looking "big." lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yup, it's exciting. Getting quite a few comments lately, like, "Bro, you're looking big..."

I'm still just a hair under 160 lbs right now (almost 18 pounds gained since I began my bulk), but because I've never been 160 in my life to people who know me I'm looking "big." lol
FitGaf specializes in transformation! The number of people we have who say they are going to do something and actually accomplish it is staggering. No one ever changes at my gym. It's a rarity besides fluctuations from gear.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
My shoulder is so fucked ...got up to a pathetic 308x5 bench with the pain but it felt like my left shoulder and clavicle were going to rip apart as usual. Even the 150-200lbs warm ups were painful.

Imm0rt4l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYb6unoi2o

Synthol Man!!

Luis went IN on this guy lol. This shit is disgusting, and the way everyone is seemingly mirin hard is sad.

My shoulder is so fucked ...got up to a pathetic 308x5 bench with the pain but it felt like my left shoulder and clavicle were going to rip apart as usual. Even the 150-200lbs warm ups were painful.

I know that feel bro, taking it light right now myself as I pulled something in my trap/clavicle area when I deadlifted 500 for 3 triples. It isn't so bad though and seems to be healing fine.

my lowerback on the other hand, I hyper extended a couple of days ago, no good. no good at all. I'm typing this right now in a static stretch actually. After I recover I'm going to make it a point to work on my mobility in every which way I can. I'm going to be flexible as hell, fuck a injury.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Someone asked a good question the other day: why are prisoners so ripped?

The fact that they're super buff tends to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom that I've learned in the past few months:

- lifting weights every day is bad
- lots of calories are required daily (prison food I imagine isn't generous in either calories or nutritional content)

Imm0rt4l

Paging Brolic Jailer

but to throw my two cents in, being ripped isn't hard you're going to lean out just by virtue of taking in less calories. Lifting everyday isn't really bad, it may be inefficient depending on your goals. Not everyone in prison is jacked, but when you're working out all the time and resting well you should see some results. Also steroids are in prisons. As far as dieting is concerned, I'm guessing people share/barter food all the time. I think it's all a matter of efficiency when talking about diet. Genetics are important, and there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

If you look at pictures of natural pro Jeff albert when he was younger and fairly jacked, you'd be surprised to hear that he only ate once a day. I think their is some mma fighter that diets on bread and soup/salad. This is really suspect, there may be something to that, or maybe it's PED's

Go_Ly_Dow

The fact that they're super buff tends to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom that I've learned in the past few months:

- lots of calories are required daily (prison food I imagine isn't generous in either calories or nutritional content)

fitgaf is a lie!?

Go_Ly_Dow

OT needs reworking to....

commit big crime > get a long prison sentence > lift everyday > eat what they give you > get released and come out ripped

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Brolic will give you the info, but basically steroids make it in, and plenty of rest.

Visceir

Went and got a massage today. Was lectured how I'm lacking magnesium and need to stretch more, especially my traps to guarantee a good bloodflow to brain. Legs too or else I'd be bound to experience a major injury sooner or later.

I already do stretching before workouts, I suppose I'm gonna take the time and do some stretching after workouts too and put more effort into it.

mA9dtK1.png

inb4 you should have used the mosaic to hide those legs lolol

Me today. I took a pic right before doing my training... I will have to take a pic after the pump one day, but it's kind of embarrassing :(

Anyway, starting last week I changed my training routine and now I do

Day 1 - Biceps and Triceps training
Day 2 - Pecs and stomach training
Day 3 - Back training
Day 4 - Legs training
Day 5 - Shoulder and stomach training ( <--- This is what I was doing today)

And I keep repeating this all the time, with every Tuesday taking a break because the gym is closed. The schedule I was following before was too packed and I felt like I wasn't training certain parts of my body enough, so let's see if this gives me results! I will post pics in a month or so...

Nice work.

But why did you have to censor your face? You've already shown your face a couple of times in the post yourself threads afaik. Just doesn't make sense to me :p

SeanR1221

So I pulled a 295 x5 deadlift today no problem. Should be good for a 315x5 in 2 weeks. Keep in mind when I herniated my disk back in June I couldn't even do 135 :)

Nothing stops this train.

Chocobro

Went and got a massage today. Was lectured how I'm lacking magnesium and need to stretch more, especially my traps to guarantee a good bloodflow to brain. Legs too or else I'd be bound to experience a major injury sooner or later.

I already do stretching before workouts, I suppose I'm gonna take the time and do some stretching after workouts too and put more effort into it.
While you're at it, you can look into other possible micronutrient deficiencies you might have: video or you can scroll down to the notes I made for the video. I should look into these as well just in case..
Just curious, do you use a foam roller during your stretches and possibly after a workout or before going to bed?
So I pulled a 295 x5 deadlift today no problem. Should be good for a 315x5 in 2 weeks. Keep in mind when I herniated my disk back in June I couldn't even do 135 :)

Nice Sean! Keep it going!!

Nice I'm also about to hit 315 in the next few weeks, except I didn't have to deal with a herniated disk. Keep up the good work man

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm about to lose most, if not all of my progress from the past year. Tore a ligament in my left knee and won't be able to work out for at least three months.

Feels so bad man.

I came to post this :( something is definitely wrong in my left knee, not sure if it's my meniscus or something minor... was deadlifting and all of a sudden felt a nasty pinch right by the joint line on the outside of my knee. Can any of gaf chime in on this? I've done some preliminary tests, but nothing concrete yet. Gonna have to take a trip to the doctors this week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally consistently able to do 90 lbs for the overhead press. Been a couple weeks of fluctuating between 80, 85, and 90 depending on how I was feeling that day. I even pulled off a set at 95 lbs, but I really struggled with the last rep.

Still very much in untrained territory, but feeling better about my primary lifts now, which are as follows.

Overhead Press: 90
Bench Press: 135
Squat: 180
Deadlift: 205

Back when I started in late June, my numbers were like this:

Overhead Press: 55
Bench Press: 85
Squat: 105
Deadlift: 115

Not the most impressive progress by any measure, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Looking forward to seeing where I'll be at the one year mark.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the encouraging words, my fellow fit mangs.

You're gonna destroy 315 Gore.

Zefah that looks like great progress to me. Keep positive

Finally consistently able to do 90 lbs for the overhead press. Been a couple weeks of fluctuating between 80, 85, and 90 depending on how I was feeling that day. I even pulled off a set at 95 lbs, but I really struggled with the last rep.

Still very much in untrained territory, but feeling better about my primary lifts now, which are as follows.

Overhead Press: 90
Bench Press: 135
Squat: 180
Deadlift: 205

Back when I started in late June, my numbers were like this:

Overhead Press: 55
Bench Press: 85
Squat: 105
Deadlift: 115

Not the most impressive progress by any measure, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Looking forward to seeing where I'll be at the one year mark.

as long as your numbers are going up then they are impressive

I can't believe I haven't been to the gym in a whole week. I usually stick with Tuesday, Thursdays and Sunday but I couldn't make it on Tuesday and Wednesday because of homework and then the gym was closed on Thursday and Friday and closed early on Saturday before I got off work. When I miss the gym I lost interest in eating right and just get lazy all around. Can't wait to get back on track tomorrow so I can hit those end of the year goals

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The reason I say my progress isn't very impressive is because Starting Strength is a program where you're supposed to be increasing the weight every single workout. That definitely hasn't been the case for me. Granted, I haven't been following the program 100% in terms of consistency and diet, but there have been plenty of weeks where I'd stall for a bit and then have a breakthrough.

edit: oh damn, Paul Walker died? That's horrible... so many death reports in this thread these last couple days. RIP.

Their mindset is incredibly different from yours. You have to stress about school or work, bills. Prisoners worry about one thing only: survival. Theyre constantly thinking, like an animal really, trying to seem not weak and vulnerable so their whole body adapts to those pressures.

Their life is basically train, eat, and rest too, so their whole lifestyle really leans well towards getting ripped. They dont have to run kids around or go shopping. The mind is in fight or flight every day, so their body is ready to get everything out of whatever training they do. Lifting then going to the office doesnt put a mental strain on your body like lift then become defensive all day mentally living in a jungleish defend yourself or suffer the consequences environment

Prison food is quite nutricious, at least at state where my best friend went a few times, he ate better in there than most free people do, not as much chance to eat crap either, quite nutricious

IceCold

The reason I say my progress isn't very impressive is because Starting Strength is a program where you're supposed to be increasing the weight every single workout. That definitely hasn't been the case for me. Granted, I haven't been following the program 100% in terms of consistency and diet, but there have been plenty of weeks where I'd stall for a bit and then have a breakthrough.

edit: oh damn, Paul Walker died? That's horrible... so many death reports in this thread these last couple days. RIP.

That's normal. In the beginning you'll be able to add that much weight if you start with just the bar, but after a certain point you won't be able to. Imo that's a bit of a problem with SS since the routine is so rigid, it's easy to plateau unless you go crazy with your diet. Rippetoe doesn't really care about aesthetics, it's all about lifting more weight, which is why he proposes the GOMAD diet. Keep in mind that with SS is really aimed at teen athletes like football players.

Oblivion

Another question.

I just got back from the gym and had a decent workout. Not great, but decent. I've been trying to follow SS, but I haven't really been able to add weight to much benches. Recently I seemed to have maxed out at 85 lbs. This has been the most I've been able to lift for about 3 sessions now, and still even today, I'm able to lift just enough to complete my rep/set requirement, but not a single rep more. I'm honestly trying to use every bit of will power I have (or at least, I think I am), but alas can't seem to overcome it just yet (this goes for my standing press too).

Do I just keep at it?

Paging Brolic Jailer

but to throw my two cents in, being ripped isn't hard you're going to lean out just by virtue of taking in less calories. Lifting everyday isn't really bad, it may be inefficient depending on your goals. Not everyone in prison is jacked, but when you're working out all the time and resting well you should see some results. Also steroids are in prisons. As far as dieting is concerned, I'm guessing people share/barter food all the time. I think it's all a matter of efficiency when talking about diet. Genetics are important, and there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

If you look at pictures of natural pro Jeff albert when he was younger and fairly jacked, you'd be surprised to hear that he only ate once a day. I think their is some mma fighter that diets on bread and soup/salad. This is really suspect, there may be something to that, or maybe it's PED's

Brolic will give you the info, but basically steroids make it in, and plenty of rest.

So you guys are saying I' should start taking steroids? :O

Their mindset is incredibly different from yours. You have to stress about school or work, bills. Prisoners worry about one thing only: survival. Theyre constantly thinking, like an animal really, trying to seem not weak and vulnerable so their whole body adapts to those pressures.

Their life is basically train, eat, and rest too, so their whole lifestyle really leans well towards getting ripped. They dont have to run kids around or go shopping. The mind is in fight or flight every day, so their body is ready to get everything out of whatever training they do. Lifting then going to the office doesnt put a mental strain on your body like lift then become defensive all day mentally living in a jungleish defend yourself or suffer the consequences environment

Prison food is quite nutricious, at least at state where my best friend went a few times, he ate better in there than most free people do, not as much chance to eat crap either, quite nutricious

Huh, guess that's reasonable enough to make sense.

rokkerkory

Good news guys... in about 2 weeks, I have been able to put on ~3lbs!

I am now at 156-157lbs (from 145 in start of year)... the extra 500 calories a day is looking to work good.

I will keep gaining as much as I can until Feb/March time frame. \m/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Chicken, fish, peanut butter and lots of it. Also other passive/bitchmade inmate's food. Some anabolics make it in nuts it's very very rare. Many will admit they are also genetically blessed. I've watched these guys. Most of what they do is old school and anything they can get their hands on. You have to realize they have nothing but time. Also in a place like this is a huge verbal history/teaching hats passed on and it's in relation to lifting too. Pits "broscience" in action and it works. Also each guy is trying to out do the other guy.

To sit back and act like these guys aren't overdoing it and are simply coming out jacked is not true. These guys get hurt all the damned time. Mostly because if bravado though.

One last thing. They have plenty of time to sleep. That's a huge factor and the bigger guys I see resting a lot.

Sorry for typos I'm lazy and typing on an iPad after work.

Paging Brolic Jailer

Sorry took so long. Been busy as he'll.

Pretty much. For every jacked inmate there is a doughy bitchmade one on the compound. Being strong is such a big thing in the inmate culture it actually automatically earned me respect points with the inmates.

Also the bigger inmates stock up on PB and tuna.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does Brolic Gaoler's name come from his real life profession or something? You sure know a lot about prison!

Does Brolic Gaoler's name come from his real life profession or something? You sure know a lot about prison!
It's a pretty fascinating subject actually. Not many people know much about prisons given most people would prefer not to think about them.

I've considered working in a prison myself, but eh, there's a lot of shit I wanna do in CJ.

Oblivion

Chicken, fish, peanut butter and lots of it. Also other passive/bitchmade inmate's food. Some anabolics make it in nuts it's very very rare. Many will admit they are also genetically blessed. I've watched these guys. Most of what they do is old school and anything they can get their hands on. You have to realize they have nothing but time. Also in a place like this is a huge verbal history/teaching hats passed on and it's in relation to lifting too. Pits "broscience" in action and it works. Also each guy is trying to out do the other guy.

To sit back and act like these guys aren't overdoing it and are simply coming out jacked is not true. These guys get hurt all the damned time. Mostly because if bravado though.

One last thing. They have plenty of time to sleep. That's a huge factor and the bigger guys I see resting a lot.

Sorry for typos I'm lazy and typing on an iPad after work.

Sorry took so long. Been busy as he'll.

Pretty much. For every jacked inmate there is a doughy bitchmade one on the compound. Being strong is such a big thing in the inmate culture it actually automatically earned me respect points with the inmates.

Also the bigger inmates stock up on PB and tuna.

Thanks for the response. What were you in prison for? And was this an actual prison prison, or a county jail type thing?

Yep, it does relate to his profession.

Thanks for the response. What were you in prison for? And was this an actual prison prison, or a county jail type thing?

I believe he was/is in prison as a career, not as a convict!

I think Brolic could make a new topic: "I work in a prison, ask me anything!" and it'd be a big hit on NeoGAF.

God damn.

I felt like a click, only it's "soft", in my right shoulder when I did OHP today.
It's like two tendons or something sliding over eachother.
It doesn't hurt, but it feels so weird.

Now, what does hurt is my left elbow, which when doing certain movements "clicks", and hurts like hell (mostly when I was trying to do face pulls, not during the shoulder press).

No arm work for sure, but I really don't want to skip out on the press.

Mik2121

if I understood correctly and you work for Konami, then please tell whoever calls the shots over there that there are plenty of pissed off gamers that want the igavanias on handhelds back as they were :p.
Haha! Not Konami, sorry :p
I work for the company doing the Naruto titles and some other stuff.

I was curious about what kind of gym goer you are. the question about your exercises was to determine whether what you do is the best for your goals.

from what I've seen there are 4 main kinds of people hitting the gym

.- Fat/obese wanting to lose weight
.- regular guy/girl wanting to be or stay in shape. Feeling well and healthy is the first reason to train, not volume or strength.
.- Bodybuilder, cares for volume more than strength but both are important. Eats accordingly
.- Powerlifter, strength is priority, looks come in second place if at all. Eats accordingly.

you seem to be the second and what you do seems to be the best course of action for you so good for you.

be careful with "experienced guys" and their stories, always double check with other sources.
I guess the closest would be the second, but here in Japan not many people go to the gym to do lifting and stuff, so I'm already fairly bulkier than the average here :/ still trying to get bigger, of course!

As for the experienced guy... definitely. He doesn't try to get me to do the stuff he does, he just helps me with my form or whenever I ask him stuff. He's some super laid back guy.

Nice work.

But why did you have to censor your face? You've already shown your face a couple of times in the post yourself threads afaik. Just doesn't make sense to me :p
Thanks! I looked kinda serious in the photos and I didn't want to look like a douche here, so I decided to just censor it... :(

Cudder

So how do these guys get steroids (or anything else) into the prison? Is it like in the movies where one dude has "connections" and can get other inmates things for a price? lol

J. Bravo

Last night would have made you extra proud. Sushi and movies. Use your imagination. It was a heartburn in the morning kind of night!
same here...but only because I drank a lot of beer. I might go back to sleep lol. So glad I don't have to lift today.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's a pretty fascinating subject actually. Not many people know much about prisons given most people would prefer not to think about them.

I've considered working in a prison myself, but eh, there's a lot of shit I wanna do in CJ.

I did too, but this fits me well and let's me do the other shit I wanna do.

Yeah I changed it from AlienShogun to this because of my love of weights and my career choice.

I'm a federal correctional officer.

Yep, it does relate to his profession.

I believe he was/is in prison as a career, not as a convict!

I think Brolic could make a new topic: "I work in a prison, ask me anything!" and it'd be a big hit on NeoGAF.

I would if I didn't know there's a heavy anti law enforcement vibe on this forum. I'm trying to avoid being banned.

I think Brolic mentioned somewhere that hes working in prison security.

Yep I work custody.

So how do these guys get steroids (or anything else) into the prison? Is it like in the movies where one dude has "connections" and can get other inmates things for a price? lol

Smuggling in during visits, corrupt staff, people throwing shit over the rec yard fence. Etc. there's all kinds of ways.

Unicorn

It's a new month and I want to try turning over a new leaf, again.

Mainly I need help with meal ideas or weekly shopping list. I'm trying to cut back or eliminate my fast food intake, because currently that's all I eat. I'd like to budget for around $50 per week.

Alongside this I plan on cycling every night I can around the neighborhood for some cardio. Any suggestions on basic in-home routines would be helpful, such as push-ups, crunches, etc.

Basically, I need a first step plan. I'm more here for weight loss and toning than muscle gain. I know this is all "Read the OP" type stuff, but I'm just at a loss in terms of meal-planning, such as "This is what I eat, everyday of the week. Here's what I buy every Sunday and it will feed me until Saturday" type stuff. I typically only eat once or twice a day, but that will obviously have to change :-/

Thanks in advance!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's a new month and I want to try turning over a new leaf, again.

Mainly I need help with meal ideas or weekly shopping list. I'm trying to cut back or eliminate my fast food intake, because currently that's all I eat. I'd like to budget for around $50 per week.

Alongside this I plan on cycling every night I can around the neighborhood for some cardio. Any suggestions on basic in-home routines would be helpful, such as push-ups, crunches, etc.

Basically, I need a first step plan. I'm more here for weight loss and toning than muscle gain. I know this is all "Read the OP" type stuff, but I'm just at a loss in terms of meal-planning, such as "This is what I eat, everyday of the week. Here's what I buy every Sunday and it will feed me until Saturday" type stuff. I typically only eat once or twice a day, but that will obviously have to change :-/

Thanks in advance!

Muscle gain is very difficult. I wouldn't completely rule it out as part of your commitment to a healthy life. You need something to "tone" do you not? That being said, if you have no plans of weight training I would buy a door pull up bar and use the heck out of it! Push ups are better than nothing but they won't stimulate much if any muscle growth. Try pistol squats and handstand push ups. That's about all I have for you.

Your food choices depend on a lot of things really. How much time do you have to prepare? Are you ok with eating for survival as opposed to enjoyment? I would mainly eat green veggies, chicken, tuna, beef, pork, nuts, and dairy. Mix and match these things weekly until you get to about 2,000-2,500 calories a day. Everyone is different depending upon a number of variables which means only you can determine what your magical number is for weight loss or maintenance. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom