• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream that i attempted 4 plates on bench and as i was going up i nearly guillotined myself. Im such a gymrat.

I know that feeling exactly. I do this to myself with pretty much all uncharted territory for weights. Its like some sort of mental barrier. Once you get under the weight its like"this is heavy but it aint so bad"

lol

And yeah, it is more mental than anything. I was able to explode with 285 lbs. Was way easy but 315 was an intense struggle. Sure it was 30 lbs but I felt like it was a lot harder than it needed to be. Oh well, just gotta keep going.

Good shit Edge. Congrats on 3 plates.

Thanks!

Good shit bud.

I've pretty much started to do my own thing now that I pretty much understand what's going on. The underlying template that I'm using is iron sport strength method though.

As for heavy but not heavy. I touched on that in a post I made a while back about how weight feels different as it gets to be more. What might feel "too heavy" might just be how that weight is going to feel now and not indicative of your ability to move it.

Hmmm okay. I will read into that. I decided that I really like to lift heavy. Deadlifting gave me the biggest increase in size as far as arms, traps, back etc. I want to continue to go heavy and hard. I'm thinking something like 2-3 sets of 3 @ 85%. Then work my way up. I feel like I can do so much more and my journey is only beginning.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hey guys injured my knee :(, getting to the doctors this week, but I need some exercises in the mean time to replace my squats/deadlifts. I'm going SS and normally do..

Squats- 3x5
Bench- 3x5
Deads- 3x5
Pullups- Until fail

So I'll be stuck with just bench and pull ups... anything I can add in the meantime since I can't use my left knee?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey guys injured my knee :(, getting to the doctors this week, but I need some exercises in the mean time to replace my squats/deadlifts. I'm going SS and normally do..

Squats- 3x5
Bench- 3x5
Deads- 3x5
Pullups- Until fail

So I'll be stuck with just bench and pull ups... anything I can add in the meantime since I can't use my left knee?

Row and bench like it's going out of style.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Squats- 3x5
Bench- 3x5
Deads- 3x5
Pullups- Until fail

UPPER BODY MONTH

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BOOM

995567_10202719115369974_149742568_n.jpg

Just add more? Will that be beneficial? Also I row on fridays as part of SS 3 days a week... is it alright to kick it up to 2 times a week now?

If you can't work legs at all work as much chest and back as possible. Just do it smart.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BOOM

[IG]https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/995567_10202719115369974_149742568_n.jpg[/IMG]

If you can't work legs at all work as much chest and back as possible. Just do it smart.

Legs for now are out of the question, and I'm afraid to even think about how I'm going to get back... gonna have to drop about 50 pounds maybe more across the board to prevent any injury.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The FUCK @ that beard - it's growing lightning fast. Jeeeeezus.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sorry to be a pain, so what should my routine look like if I'm doing a ton of bench/rows etc. instead of squats/deads/legs.

Noema

Are there any good before and after Starting Strength pictures? I don't trust some of the ones I see on Google.

Starting Strength isn't a 'before and after pictures' sort of program. Its success is measured by how much more weight you can move in the lifts. It's designed to make you strong, not to make you pretty.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Anybody? Bout to start my lift and so far I've got

Incline Bench- 3x5
Bent over Rows- 3x5
Flat Bench- 3x5
Curls?

Servbot24

Banned
I think I'm around 15% body fat right now. Totally unscientific, just looking at comparison images. My new years resolution (only calling it that due to the time of year, if I have a goal I resolve to do it immediately) is to get that down to 10% without losing muscle.

The immediate thing I need to do is cut out energy drinks. I buy a variety from the health section of the store that has "no calories or sugar" but I'm certain it can't be helping. I'm guessing I should cut cliff bars as well.

As for the rest of my diet, I primarily eat oatmeal, protein shakes, kashi fiber cereal, carrots, bananas, apples, tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, beef wraps, almonds and soybeans. Immediately I can probably cut out the tortilla wraps and just eat the beef on its own, plus add chicken and fish to the diet. I also take multivitamins, fish oil, coral calcium, and c4 preworkout. Anything I should add/remove?

As for my workouts I mainly just need to add more variety to it but I think I'm doing fine. Just alternating lifting days with running days.

I think I'm around 15% body fat right now. Totally unscientific, just looking at comparison images. My new years resolution (only calling it that due to the time of year, if I have a goal I resolve to do it immediately) is to get that down to 10% without losing muscle.

The immediate thing I need to do is cut out energy drinks. I buy a variety from the health section of the store that has "no calories or sugar" but I'm certain it can't be helping. I'm guessing I should cut cliff bars as well.

As for the rest of my diet, I primarily eat oatmeal, protein shakes, kashi fiber cereal, carrots, bananas, apples, tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, beef wraps, almonds and soybeans. Immediately I can probably cut out the tortilla wraps and just eat the beef on its own, plus add chicken and fish to the diet. I also take multivitamins, fish oil, coral calcium, and c4 preworkout. Anything I should add/remove?

As for my workouts I mainly just need to add more variety to it but I think I'm doing fine. Just alternating lifting days with running days.

I'm where you are in terms of BF% although I have calipers backing me up. You can join me in my new year's resolution: 6-8 weeks of Ultimate Diet 2.0. I know some GAFers have run it though I can't for the life of me remember who or what kind of results they saw. But the universal opinion seems to be that it's the hardest, most effective thing you will ever do as far as dieting goes.

Pete Rock

Yep cut all that out, iirc Cliff Bars contain 20g of sugar.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maybe something like this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CamberedBarLyingRow.html

Though it looks like it still requires support from your legs.

Such a strange injury :(. Got it while deadlifting, a pinch on the outside of my knee, and now after using it for a bit if I extend my leg I'll feel something pop/slide and get a stabbing pain. Like I said symptoms point to either IT band or Meniscus... really hoping I didn't tear my meniscus here :(.

How should I go about stacking the bench then? Is it even beneficial? Is there any other good exercises to toss in for upperbody?

Noema

Such a strange injury :(. Got it while deadlifting, a pinch on the outside of my knee, and now after using it for a bit if I extend my leg I'll feel something pop/slide and get a stabbing pain. Like I said symptoms point to either IT band or Meniscus... really hoping I didn't tear my meniscus here :(.

Unless you are older than 50, it's almost impossible to tear your meniscus from non-traumatic injuries, so don't worry too much about it. It'll heal. It's probably just inflammation.

I am surprised this got glossed over because despite being very overweight you are, IMO, stupid strong for a female. If you're dilligent about tracking your calories and patient about the fat loss you will look awesome in a year with only minor strength loss if there even is any.

Read everything on www.bodyrecomposition.com about fat loss, nutrition etc. and keep us posted. Good luck!

Thanks for the link, I've been reading up as much as I can with what free time I have.

I was lucky enough to be naturally strong. Unfortunately I also loved to eat and used it as comfort. I want to post before pictures but I'm almost too ashamed to.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Unless you are older than 50, it's almost impossible to tear your meniscus from non-traumatic injuries, so don't worry too much about it. It'll heal. It's probably just inflammation.

This is very reassuring, appreciate it. Feels like it might be on my hamstring to be honest, is it possible it's some sort of tendonitis/strain?

Well this is interesting.... despite the fact that I'm cutting, I scored 2 new deadlift PRs today:

1x5 285 lb / 130 kg

1x1 308 lbs / 140 kg

My regular gym buddy said that from observation I still had alot more power/strength left in me :-o

Also first time cardio sprints today (following advice by canditotraining for weightloss sprints)

I feel good. Bottoms up gents and ladies *drinks proteinshake*

sphinx

the piano man
Damn what the fuck is wrong with me, I lost my wrist straps... and when I used to train with gloves I lost 3 of them....

shit I don't want to buy another pair >_<

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is interesting.... despite the fact that I'm cutting, I scored 2 new deadlift PRs today:

1x5 285 lb / 130 kg

1x1 308 lbs / 140 kg

My regular gym buddy said that from observation I still had alot more power/strength left in me :-o

Also first time cardio sprints today (following advice by canditotraining for weightloss sprints)

I feel good. Bottoms up gents and ladies *drinks proteinshake*

:jnc

Damn what the fuck is wrong with me, I lost my wrist straps... and when I used to train with gloves I lost 3 of them....

shit I don't want to buy another pair >_<

Thieves!

Servbot24

Banned
I'm where you are in terms of BF% although I have calipers backing me up. You can join me in my new year's resolution: 6-8 weeks of Ultimate Diet 2.0. I know some GAFers have run it though I can't for the life of me remember who or what kind of results they saw. But the universal opinion seems to be that it's the hardest, most effective thing you will ever do as far as dieting goes.

sounds intense! i'll definitely think about that as i'm planning my diet and routine.

Has anyone ever taken Hyrdrowhey protein? Extremely expensive protein for how much you get, but it's supposed to be the purest form of protein you can buy and fastest digestible protein. Hench, shuttling it to your muscles the fastest after the gym.

Is it all just bullshit? I've been thinking about picking it up for months and now bodybuildying.com is having a pretty good deal right now for cyber monday. I've heard lots of mixed reviews on it. Since I've been trying to decide if i want to buy it for forever now.

I've taken Whey-Isolate and I feel like it definitely helped me at the end of my workout in terms of making my body feel replenished.

I normally shove a huge meal down my throat as soon as I get home from the gym, so I don't really know if this shit is just hyperbole bs.

sphinx

the piano man
Vince McMahon said:

Assholes!

Has anyone ever taken Hyrdrowhey protein? Extremely expensive protein for how much you get, but it's supposed to be the purest form of protein you can buy and fastest digestible protein. Hench, shuttling it to your muscles the fastest after the gym.

Is it all just bullshit? I've been thinking about picking it up for months and now bodybuildying.com is having a pretty good deal right now for cyber monday. I've heard lots of mixed reviews on it. Since I've been trying to decide if i want to buy it for forever now.

I've taken Whey-Isolate and I feel like it definitely helped me at the end of my workout in terms of making my body feel replenished.

I normally shove a huge meal down my throat as soon as I get home from the gym, so I don't really know if this shit is just hyperbole bs.

in my opinion, poeple reaaaally tend to overestimate and glorify the post-workout protein shake.

it's supposed to help you reach your macros, and not much else.

I'd would love to see a study that shows what happens if you drink the shake at home 30 or 40 minutes after workout instead of right there in the lockers as if gains would quickly escape from your body if you didn't.....lol

abuC

I haven't posted much lately, only been going to the gym once a week for the last month, but today had my first really good workout in a while and I'll be back to a more normal workout schedule now that I'm back to doing PHAT. I pretty much only did compound lifts and went heavy with them on the 4 days I went, so I had no drop off in strength. Was able to go really heavy on pendlay rows & bench today, did 9 singles of 385lbs bench and 335 for pendlays. I felt just as strong, my shoulders are pretty weak right now though and I don't even try to push them anymore.

To put in perspective how shitty they have become I get some pain if I try to do seated ez-bar curls. So I do a ton of facepulls now just hoping it can correct some of the problem going on inside, my impingement went away for a few months and came back like it was in training waiting to face me. And it brought a friend, which is my left shoulder now has the same damn problem.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Did 155 3x5 incline
and 175 flat 3x5. First time doing flat in months, feels good man.

edit- nvm pushed up to 185 got 5 of those too, feelin good to see this progress from the incline. Last flat I was pushing 155 with a 1 rep max at 185ish.

blackflag

You sure? Mine is torn, confirmed via MRI but I don't remember any traumatic injury. The thing is, I decided not to have surgery. It hurts if I don't work legs for awhile but it doesn't if I do.

Noema

You sure? Mine is torn, confirmed via MRI but I don't remember any traumatic injury. The thing is, I decided not to have surgery. It hurts if I don't work legs for awhile but it doesn't if I do.

Well, the other usual cause of meniscus tears is degenerative injuries which occur over long periods of time, which is what happens who play certain sports.

I don't know if msdstc plays any sports regularly, but I'm pretty sure he didn't tear his meniscus deadlifting.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well, the other usual cause of meniscus tears is degenerative injuries which occur over long periods of time, which is what happens who play certain sports.

I don't know if msdstc plays any sports regularly, but I'm pretty sure he didn't tear his meniscus deadlifting.

I'll probably have a good idea tomorrow, going to see my orthopedic doctor, hoping for the best :(. So I asked in my other thread, but can you feel your meniscus yourself? I have isolated the pain to right next to my patella tendon, unfortunately near the lateral meniscus. Feels tender in the whole fat pad area, not sure if that's my meniscus I'm feeling or the fat pad.

Petrie

Banned
Checking your ego sucks. Benching 155 today and squatting 195 when I was doing 255 and 325 a month ago is depressing. Could've done more, but have to be safe.

Doodis

Not to rain on your parade, but I tore the meniscus in my left knee when I was 18 and then in my right knee when I was 19—both from non-traumatic injuries. I didn't even know I'd injured the first knee until I woke up in the morning and couldn't move my leg. The second one happened when I was adjusting how I was sitting in an innertube in a lake.

I know my case is abnormal, but it happens. I think the cartilage was weakened after years of improper stretching playing hockey.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not to rain on your parade, but I tore the meniscus in my left knee when I was 18 and then in my right knee when I was 19—both from non-traumatic injuries. I didn't even know I'd injured the first knee until I woke up in the morning and couldn't move my leg. The second one happened when I was adjusting how I was sitting in an innertube in a lake.

I know my case is abnormal, but it happens. I think the cartilage was weakened after years of improper stretching playing hockey.

How has your recovery been? Also you couldn't move your leg? I don't have any problem with mobility or swelling so I'm holdin out hope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Checking your ego sucks. Benching 155 today and squatting 195 when I was doing 255 and 325 a month ago is depressing. Could've done more, but have to be safe.

Check in with us on how you feel tomorrow, very curious.

Noema

Not to rain on your parade, but I tore the meniscus in my left knee when I was 18 and then in my right knee when I was 19&#8212;both from non-traumatic injuries. I didn't even know I'd injured the first knee until I woke up in the morning and couldn't move my leg. The second one happened when I was adjusting how I was sitting in an innertube in a lake.

Which is why I mentioned:

Well, the other usual cause of meniscus tears is degenerative injuries which occur over long periods of time, which is what happens to those who play certain sports.

Chocobro

Today was bad...I only got a few hours of sleep due to a presentation. I was short on time too.

Squat: 4/3/2x125 lb
BP: 5/5/3x95 lb
CU: 5/4/3

I feel weak; feels bad guys :( That was my third attempt at 3x5x95 BP, should I deload or give it another try this Friday with enough rest to get 3x5?

On a brighter note, I saw a guy squatting high-bar, ATG so well; makes me feel inferior because I remember him starting SS around the same time as me and he's currently lifting 1.5x my numbers.
However....There was a muscular guy that was learning how to squat and he had 70lbs on each side and he was only quarter squatting with his knees caving in. I gave him tips, after he asked the previously mentioned guy to critique his form, but once I said he should learn with just the bar, he was: nope.avi no can do. A few reps later, the whole BB fell to one side :T

blackflag

I did used to box and play football. I also got obese before I got in shape so there was a lot of stress on it. You are probably right.

Christopher

Really great transformation brah.

But I can't help imagine what you would be looking like if you started exercising. Just looking by what you accomplished by eating right, makes me wonder how far you'd get if you were weightlighting big numbers. You got some awesome potential.

...?? I excerise all the time lol. I just dont hit the hard big weights I like being lean and sorta big not too big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom