• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Contemplating attempting a 550 DL tonight. Feeling pretty good and my heavy dead day was way easier last week. Hmmmmm

You can only push yourself as far as you mentally allow yourself to go (barring injury, duh). For some people, having a spotter offers some placebo/psychological effect of allowing them to push themselves further than without.

I agree that you don't need a spotter to push yourself, progress, or make gains, but I'd by no means discourage someone from finding a spotter or workout partner especially if it helps drive themselves further and make their journey of progress that much better.

Just be clear that you don't NEED one for anything. So in the event you don't have one, you don't hold yourself back.

sphinx

the piano man
regarding the spotter, I've been doing better since I started paying attention to my 3RMs. that's the sweet spot where it's doable and relatively safe, but you are gonna bust your ass.

Knowing exactly what's my 3RM and working on that has been helping me overcome plateaus.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just hit two new PRs on week 6 of Madcow's 5x5.

Bench: 170x5
Squat: 195x5

I'm around 158 pounds right now. I have no doubt I'll break these PRs next week, which is the way the program is designed (each week starting from week 5 you set a new PR in every major lift). It's cool that it's actually been working for me as well as it has. I've only really been lifting a few months (that is, following a specific program), so I feel good about these numbers. I can only keep going up if I stick with this for a year, two years, three even.

Mark1

Starting Strength isn't a 'before and after pictures' sort of program. Its success is measured by how much more weight you can move in the lifts. It's designed to make you strong, not to make you pretty.
I thought I'd get more muscle gain, I expected to look a bit different afterwards (I know it's only 2 months but judging by what you're saying it doesn't sound like the muscle gains will be much more than that.). I knew a lot of it was going to be related to strength. What would be the best thing to do at this stage now?

I thought I'd get more muscle gain, I expected to look a bit different afterwards (I know it's only 2 months but judging by what you're saying it doesn't sound like the muscle gains will be much more than that.). I knew a lot of it was going to be related to strength. What would be the best thing to do at this stage now?

There should still be a difference in the way you look. And I would keep going with SS. At least 6-12 months if you can. That is if what SS is offering you is what you want.

Mark1

There should still be a difference in the way you look. And I would keep going with SS. At least 6-12 months if you can. That is if what SS is offering you is what you want.
If I can still get a lot of muscle definition along the way then I will happily stick with it. The program would be a big help for when i do more difficult workout routines next year and beyond. But muscle gain and definition are what I'm focusing on.

sphinx

the piano man

where you already working out prior to these two months doing SS? two months isn't really much. My advice would be to come to terms with the program as it is and embrace it and do it longer, like FE says..

It's a program to get stronger and as a beginner is the best thing you could be doing.

If I can still get a lot of muscle definition along the way then I will happily stick with it. The program would be a big help for when i do more difficult workout routines next year and beyond. But muscle gain and definition are what I'm focusing on.

the bolded is something we all are looking for so I don't think there's anything wrong in having those goals., but I think your approach to all of this is a bit off.

You need to get stronger to get muscled, you can't take a bodybuilding path being that weak, as a beginner.

get strong first, go for the looks later.

rokkerkory

You can only push yourself as far as you mentally allow yourself to go (barring injury, duh). For some people, having a spotter offers some placebo/psychological effect of allowing them to push themselves further than without.

I agree that you don't need a spotter to push yourself, progress, or make gains, but I'd by no means discourage someone from finding a spotter or workout partner especially if it helps drive themselves further and make their journey of progress that much better.

Just be clear that you don't NEED one for anything. So in the event you don't have one, you don't hold yourself back.

Agree and that's what I was trying to say I. \m/

Mark1

where you already working out prior to these two months doing SS? two months isn't really much. My advice would be to come to terms with the program as it is and embrace it and do it longer, like FE says..

It's a program to get stronger and as a beginner is the best thing you could be doing.
I had a few issues before with programs (they were made by trainers at the gym) plus the diet was still far more of a problem prior to this routine. As I said I before I'm aware it's more strength than muscle gain, and honestly as long as I get some along the way I'll be fine.

the bolded is something we all are looking for so I don't think there's anything wrong in having those goals., but I think your approach to all of this is a bit off.

You need to get stronger to get muscled, you can't take a bodybuilding path being that weak, as a beginner.

get strong first, go for the looks later.
I'm loving the strength gains, maybe I don't fully understand how these things work just yet. I'd love to know more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Final leg of the "eat all the good shit in the house so I can replace it with cutting food" tour is coming to a close.

Cereal, I think I'll miss you most.

Chocobro

For cereal though, Omar Isuf has one of the better fitness channels on youtube. Get aware.
I agree with that. Omar Isuf and CanditoTrainingHQ are my top two fitness channels. Buff Dudes are pretty good to watch I think.
A few weeks ago I discovered Ben Rice's channel and I enjoy his philosophical commentary over his training footage. I kind of stopped watching Elliott Hulse's videos for the last month or two.

Imm0rt4l

I agree with that. Omar Isuf and CanditoTrainingHQ are my top two fitness channels. Buff Dudes are pretty good to watch I think.
A few weeks ago I discovered Ben Rice's channel and I enjoy his philosophical commentary over his training footage. I kind of stopped watching Elliott Hulse's videos for the last month or two.
Yea, I enjoy watching Ben Rice. He seems like a really humble guy, the weights he moves are pretty inspiring.

abuC

I don't really follow any fitness channel outside of Bro-Science, mainly because he's funny. I know what I gotta do, pick things up, put things down.

SeanR1221

Holy shit edge that's gotta be hard eating that much. I'm pretty full off 2300 calories today (4 eggs and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast. 4 cups broccoli and 2 cups shrimp cooked in olive oil for lunch, buffalo chicken cheesesteak for dinner and two quest bars for snacks. Also just had a cup of hot chocolate). I'd have to eat double that.

Had a shit workout today. Didn't get enough sleep last night and i and i had my final assessment for my post grad course today and just didn't feel up to it. I still managed to get PR's on my main lifts (though my OHP is definitely stalling i think). After that i couldn't do my usual accessory work as i was just bloody knackered and felt a little feint.

I'll be getting some extra calories and sleep over the next few days and really trying to get straight back into things.

Cooter

Fuck eating before lifting. I had subway about 5 hours before and then a quest bar 30 min before and my DLs were utter shit. I'm only lifting fasted from now on.

J. Bravo

got 7 reps at 125 for OHP on 2 hours of sleep after working 16 of the last 24 hours. granted 125 isn't that much weight but I did better than expected ,and had a few reps in the tank like I always do on 5s week.

You can do anything you put your mind to! I don't deal in I can'ts and I don't think so's. Like anything, your body adjusts after time. :)

Maybe i could, i have done it. I'm just not sure i would want to do it. On a different note on Friday i finally am going for my 100kg squat, excited to finally hit triple digits on one of my lifts. Next up is getting all my lifts over my bodyweight, gotta work on dat bench.

Cooter

do you take BCAA pill before and after u work out?
No. Just water most of the day. You have to understand the magnitude of my evening intake. I wake up so full it lasts until noon most days. Then it transitions into satisfied and by the time I lift at 4:30 I take a large dose of caffeine and my energy and strength levels are functioning pretty well.

I happen to love eating to fullness! Just how I was built I guess. This diet allows me to live most of life not experiencing much hunger. Bonus in my book.

Holy shit edge that's gotta be hard eating that much. I'm pretty full off 2300 calories today (4 eggs and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast. 4 cups broccoli and 2 cups shrimp cooked in olive oil for lunch, buffalo chicken cheesesteak for dinner and two quest bars for snacks. Also just had a cup of hot chocolate). I'd have to eat double that.

It gets hard. It is just like lifting in that there are some days where you are killing it and others where you are just dragging along. Definitely start eating just for the sake of eating and not because you are hungry. Hey man, anything to get to my goals.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Fuck eating before lifting. I had subway about 5 hours before and then a quest bar 30 min before and my DLs were utter shit. I'm only lifting fasted from now on.

haha

I'm the opposite. I do best when I eat just before lifting. I'll routinely drink a 900-1200 calorie shake 30 minutes before a workout and feel great.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh, my wrists have been hurting for like two weeks now. I don't think I've been doing anything differently, aside from adding more weight.

What should I do?

Imm0rt4l

Mike said that cooking your own food is for losers? Not sure what this dude is talking about. I've seen several of his videos where he insists on people making their own food (at least for those of us wanting to bulk).

I didn't understand the reference since I don't watch mike chang videos, all I know is that he was a proponent for paleo.

Also don't watch Mike Chang videos

got 7 reps at 125 for OHP on 2 hours of sleep after working 16 of the last 24 hours. granted 125 isn't that much weight but I did better than expected ,and had a few reps in the tank like I always do on 5s week.

I wouldn't sell yourself short on that 7x125 for OHP. That's not baby weight by any means. Also, it's almost 900 total lbs more than most humans lift over their head in an entire day, and you did it in what, 30-60 seconds?

Pete Rock

Ugh, my wrists have been hurting for like two weeks now. I don't think I've been doing anything differently, aside from adding more weight.

What should I do?
Boo, boo, booyakasha!

I think the worst offender is maybe bad wrist position on OHP & upright rows, you gotta keep em straight. Even if that is not the culprit I find this tool very handy. Used it years ago when I would work/play on a PC for over 12 hours a day and developed terrible RSI. Still use it when I'm standing around after lifting while eating, rolling my feet with a massage ball, etc.

As long as it has been at least an hour since my last meal, I'm good to go. No way I can lift with a heavy stomach.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it has been at least an hour since my last meal, I'm good to go. No way I can lift with a heavy stomach.

Same here. I go into the gym starving, leave feeling satisfied. Dunno why but that's how my body works. Of course I feed it afterwards.

No fun = still being a bit sweaty and getting protein powder out of the bottom of the tub...and you get that shit on your skin. "Shit I smell like chocolate now..."

ILoveBish

I have to eat or get some fat in before i lift, going in fasted = bad idea for me. I've experimented with all types, what works for me is having something to burn while in the gym.

So i finished my 5's week this morning and i did it without a single carb. I just eat fat before the gym, and i have beyond energy at the gym and still hitting new pr's everytime i go. Being fully keto adapted is amazing, took a while to get there, but i've never looked or felt better. Getting a handle on doing less at the gym has also helped me quite a bit. Do my compound, do 3 accessories that compliment that compound, then im out. If i have time, i throw in some tricep work because they need work badly.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have to eat or get some fat in before i lift, going in fasted = bad idea for me. I've experimented with all types, what works for me is having something to burn while in the gym.

So i finished my 5's week this morning and i did it without a single carb. I just eat fat before the gym, and i have beyond energy at the gym and still hitting new pr's everytime i go. Being fully keto adapted is amazing, took a while to get there, but i've never looked or felt better. Getting a handle on doing less at the gym has also helped me quite a bit. Do my compound, do 3 accessories that compliment that compound, then im out. If i have time, i throw in some tricep work because they need work badly.

When keto is going full force it's like an awakening for some - I'm the same. Finished all the cereal in my home last night. It's time to get back on the keto wagon.

Lucius86

Banned
Just got back to doing an Insanity workout after a few months off thanks to new gf & career commitments, plus being a tad lazy. Most I had done of late was a run once every other week, plus 5 mins of press-ups/sit ups every other day.

Damn, I forgot how tough they are. I feel like shit now.

MjFrancis

Holy shit. Took those farmer walk handles for a spin (no weight added mind you) and I'm smoked. These things are gonna get a lot of use.
I'm jealous! Farmer's walks are my next favorite conditioning tool after stadium step sprints. Still haven't bit the bullet to get some yet.

Yeah, the issue is if there's a riot or some such thing I'm fucked because I can't use a breather. I keep a trimmer packed just in case. I also can't do sort or dct. But I'm fine with that. To be honest this is one big reason I wanted to work In the bop. I can look how I wanna look and I always have time to hit he gym.

I can't believe my beard is longer than yours but I can imagine not wanting to keep it as long as you had it. I think once mine hits mid pec I'll start trimming it.
After a couple years a change is welcomed. I think other people were more distraught by my beard trimming than I was. It reached the bottom of my chest but then I kept it mid-pec until I grew bored of the look and cut it off last spring.

If you grow your beard long enough you'll reach a point where front squats require some careful beard adjustments and power cleans simply pull the hair off your face. I'm happier now that I'm able to perform those movements without those unique difficulties. Plus, I had no idea I had a bigger neck until I could see it again. I'll keep a short beard for the foreseeable future.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly doubt i'll ever stop being on keto. Welcome back to the fold, broseph.

In about 2 days I'll be shaking from carb withdrawals and shitting out soup, but then you turn that corner and life is great.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm jealous! Farmer's walks are my next favorite conditioning tool after stadium step sprints. Still haven't bit the bullet to get some yet.

After a couple years a change is welcomed. I think other people were more distraught by my beard trimming than I was. It reached the bottom of my chest but then I kept it mid-pec until I grew bored of the look and cut it off last spring.

If you grow your beard long enough you'll reach a point where front squats require some careful beard adjustments and power cleans simply pull the hair off your face. I'm happier now that I'm able to perform those movements without those unique difficulties. Plus, I had no idea I had a bigger neck until I could see it again. I'll keep a short beard for the foreseeable future.

Definitely glad I got them. Plus I got em in green.

Yeah right now it bumps the bar when I OHP. When it gets longer ill just tuck it into my shirt like Clint darden does. I can see it getting old after a while and toning it down. It's amazing th attention you get with a big beard though.

For my forever bulking friends. I've added a good 10 lbs of weight to my frame, from 172 to 182 since summee. most of it leg mass but my 6 pack is down to a 2 pack. I am having trouble staying the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom