• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

snacking on unroasted, unsalted monkey nuts

good way to bulk?

1GP5H7t.jpg

SeanR1221

Huge bench PR tonight! Before starting 5/3/1 in May my 1rm was 205. I could handle 200 for 2.

Tonight for 1s week, 200 for 6! Woo hoo!

Gotta give major props to Brolic for putting together my program.

injurai

Banned
Any suggestions for winter running clothing? I really struggle to stay active in the winter due to the cold. Maybe I should focus on just hitting the gym. But I'd really like the option to just go for an evening run out my back door whenever my schedule allows.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Huge bench PR tonight! Before starting 5/3/1 in May my 1rm was 205. I could handle 200 for 2.

Tonight for 1s week, 200 for 6! Woo hoo!

Gotta give major props to Brolic for putting together my program.

Huh? I just helped you iron it out man, I didn't make shit.

Good work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nice nice work Sean!

These bitch ass weights at my gym are flying up since my bulk began! This should be good in the coming month.

...?? I excerise all the time lol. I just dont hit the hard big weights I like being lean and sorta big not too big

Yeah, sorry about that comment. Zoe made me aware of that fault. I wrote that comment while being mentally drained due to IF, so I misread the content of your post dude.

Is microwave popcorn a good choice of snack on a workout day?

Seems like it could pad out my carbs without going crazy overboard on calories.

But I don't want to eat it if it's considered junk.

J. Bravo

I hate that I am at school and work all day from 9-10 on Mondays. I'm always so ready to work out lol. Good thing I work early tomorrow so I can lift afterwards. Been two days and im ready to start my beast cycle of 5/3/1.

Cudder

Me: Can I get a spot for bench?

Guy: Sure.

Me: I'm going for 5 reps (240lbs). Please don't touch the bar unless it is on my chest and I can't get it off me.

Guy: No problem, bro. I won't touch it, I'll guide it up.

Me: No, no. I don't want any assistance whatsoever unless I fail and can't get the bar off my chest. I don't want any guidance or anything whatsoever.

Guy: Yeah yeah, no problem, I'm a great spotter.

Me: Cool.

*does set, last two reps the dude "guides the bar up lightly"*

Me after set: Much help there?

Guy: No man, it was all you bro.

Me in my head: Yeah fucking right. Guess I'm repeating this same weight next week, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Me: I'm going for 5 reps (240lbs). Please don't touch the bar unless it is on my chest and I can't get it off me.

Me: No, no. I don't want any assistance whatsoever unless I fail and can't get the bar off my chest. I don't want any guidance or anything whatsoever.

Me in my head: Yeah fucking right. Guess I'm repeating this same weight next week, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

this shit kills me :/

J. Bravo

yeah that sucks when ppl don't do what you ask, but I'd just count it. You did the majority of the work, and its no use holding yourself back. Plus usually when people say it was all you, it usually was.dont beat yourself up over it lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

Exactly like this.

Last week.

NIN90

Exercise descriptions

Required watching:
These are the staple lifts you'll find in almost all programs, so do watch the following 10-30 minute in-depth exercise descriptions before you get started:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Press
Power Clean
Rack Pull
RDL
Front Squat
Leg Press
Lying Tricep Extension
Barbell Shrug

Anyone got these videos saved or know of a different channel where they are hosted? Because they were really good and now they appear to be gone.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! So I had the best workout I've had in a long time.

Squats - 120 (new record so far)
Deadlifts - 110 (also new record)
Overhead press - 70 (have been stuck on this one for a while)
Pull ups - 10 X 3

The main thing I'm excited for is that this is the first time in a while I've been able to fully complete all the reps. Usually I get fatigued by the last two, but I was able to finish them all the way this time. Feels good, yo!

Starting Strength isn't a 'before and after pictures' sort of program. Its success is measured by how much more weight you can move in the lifts. It's designed to make you strong, not to make you pretty.

Wait, it's NOT??!

Petrie

Banned
Check in with us on how you feel tomorrow, very curious.

Back still feels a bit "tight" or what have you, but I feel like I know my body at this point, and that it is something that'll now get better being eased into work. I didn't do a full load yesterday, just worked up to a comfortable weight on each lift and did a single set, followed by 3 light sets of pullups.

Wednesday will be the real test I suppose.

SeanR1221

Nice nice work Sean!

These bitch ass weights at my gym are flying up since my bulk began! This should be good in the coming month.

Great work Sean, keep at it bro!

I wanna bulk too now.

Nice man. Keep at it.

Thanks fellow fit mangs

That's terrible. I'd be pretty upset.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I feel like a weirdo because I actively go out of my way to leave women alone at my gym. Shit like not looking at them at all, because I want them to feel comfortable. It's a smaller gym so it's a more intimate setting, and I just assume people are creeps so I give them a wide berth and leave them completely alone. Being a 6'7" goliath makes people uncomfortable :(
Back still feels a bit "tight" or what have you, but I feel like I know my body at this point, and that it is something that'll now get better being eased into work. I didn't do a full load yesterday, just worked up to a comfortable weight on each lift and did a single set, followed by 3 light sets of pullups.

Wednesday will be the real test I suppose.

Good to hear, keep it safe. Tight like the skin on a hot dog.

My gym doesn't have one :(

Two smith machines though!

Time to hit the calves!
I almost never ask for a spot unless it's someone I know does it right, I'd rather do the roll of shame. I know that's not an option for decline benchers though.

My stock phrases for spotting depending on where I am in the equation:

"Don't touch the bar until I turn purple."
or
"I don't touch the bar until you turn purple."

159.2 this morn. Also crushed 7x120 on OHP yesterday, this deload did me good. Then I wedged in two tiny 1lb pink hand weights in between plates to do 87 for the BBB sets and pinned them with clips. It was hilarious and effective.

OH YEAH - quick tidbit for those of you who may be considering EC stack for cutting: I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago for a cold at which time I'd been on the full 20/200mg E/C dose for about 10 weeks. BP was 115/68, RHR 57bpm. I think I'm pretty stim tolerant but for me at least there are no issues with blood pressure and the fat continues to come off.

Cooter

Man, I feel like a weirdo because I actively go out of my way to leave women alone at my gym. Shit like not looking at them at all, because I want them to feel comfortable. It's a smaller gym so it's a more intimate setting, and I just assume people are creeps so I give them a wide berth and leave them completely alone. Being a 6'7" goliath makes people uncomfortable :(
Not me. I smile at all the cute ones! I'm also 9 inches shorter than you though if that matters. I don't stare but if eyes cross they are getting the pearly whites.

The random women who I make eye contact with at the gym, I give a little smile and eyebrow raise and go from there. Then it is back to the curls. Ready to hit it hard for the rest of the week. Past few days have been hard as far as diet is concerned. It is all over the place. Still at a steady 260 but I should be a bit more heavier.

Cooter

The random women who I make eye contact with at the gym, I give a little smile and eyebrow raise and go from there. Then it is back to the curls. Ready to hit it hard for the rest of the week. Past few days have been hard as far as diet is concerned. It is all over the place. Still at a steady 260 but I should be a bit more heavier.

I slacked yesterday too FE. I only got in 3,500-4,000 calories. :-(

XenoRaven

Back on the fitness train.

I decided to go from being a slug to starting up P90X earlier this year. I got halfway through but developed sleeping problems due to an unrelated issue that caused me to fall off the wagon. I've done absolutely nothing since then and have become what is known as a skinny fatass.

As I get older, my complete lack of caring about my physical well-being is starting to catch up with me and it's time to make a change. I'm becomg very self conscious of my physical appearance what with my feeble stick-like arms and expanding muffin top.

My current plan is to do the P90X maintenance workout, which is basically half of the strength workouts 3 days a week, and run every other day with a break on Sunday. This will continue into January, at which point I will take a week break and then start my second attempt at P90X proper. I'm not planning on following a strict diet plan until I start P90X, but I have committed to eating out less and getting more fruit and vegetable intake. I've also added a Quest Bar and a protein shake a day. Thankfully the batch of Quest Bars I got are not rock hard like the last time I tried them. Anyway, I'm posting this here mainly for accountability purposes. I moved to a new area and my only close friend eats Mike and Ike's for breakfast and downs them with Cherry Coke, so he's not going to be much help. Feedback on my plan is welcome, although I'm sort of committed to what I'm doing now. Looking forward to being athletic and strong again!

blackflag

This is one of the reasons I never use a spotter ever. 315 for 5 355 for 1 yesterday. people were asking to help, I just tell them it breaks my concentration, which is also true.

Pete Rock

Feedback on my plan is welcome, although I'm sort of committed to what I'm doing now. Looking forward to being athletic and strong again!
Ditch the DVDs, get a membership at a gym that has free weights and a power rack, read the OP = unlimited gainzzz

Something is better than nothing but I'm pretty sure that product has a dedicated thread if you're really all bananas over it.

Chocobro

You're a giant :O
I do the same in my university gym but not often because there aren't a whole lot of females that go into engineering majors in the first place, even fewer goes to the gym.
Not me. I smile at all the cute ones! I'm also 9 inches shorter than you though if that matters. I don't stare but if eyes cross they are getting the pearly whites.
I wish I was able to do the same; I'm a bit too shy to do that to random cuties haha.

Guys, I would like your opinions on this video: CanditoTrainingHQ - Why Everyone Should Squat in Weightlifting Shoes
I bought a pair of Chuck Taylors last week and Jonnie uploaded that video not too long ago. I was originally thinking about buying a pair of Wei-Rui Warrior WLing shoes (~$70 + $7 S/H) when maxbarbell.com restocks them this month, but went ahead and got some Chucks. I'm leaning toward going back to the original plan after watching that video.

Cooter

I wish I was able to do the same; I'm a bit too shy to do that to random cuties haha.

It's actually more of a smirk. Ha. Many of them aren't random but familiar faces I see quite often to be fair. Smile, smile, smile your shyness away my man!!

MjFrancis

I'm still browsing this thread every few days, and I just thought I'd let you know that this beard is bigger than mine now. I'm keeping it short(er) these days.

It's nice that your work is cool with the beard. There's not many jobs out there that are, especially in any sort of law enforcement.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy shit. Took those farmer walk handles for a spin (no weight added mind you) and I'm smoked. These things are gonna get a lot of use.

I'm still browsing this thread every few days, and I just thought I'd let you know that this beard is bigger than mine now. I'm keeping it short(er) these days.

It's nice that your work is cool with the beard. There's not many jobs out there that are, especially in any sort of law enforcement.

Yeah, the issue is if there's a riot or some such thing I'm fucked because I can't use a breather. I keep a trimmer packed just in case. I also can't do sort or dct. But I'm fine with that. To be honest this is one big reason I wanted to work In the bop. I can look how I wanna look and I always have time to hit he gym.

I can't believe my beard is longer than yours but I can imagine not wanting to keep it as long as you had it. I think once mine hits mid pec I'll start trimming it.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think I've gotten really lucky with spotters recently. I try to pick out the people who I've seen benching heavy before. I haven't had any issues in the past 6+ months.

my gym partner is great. sucks when he's not around to go with!

Peanuts are great. I've heard almonds and the like might be a bit better overall, but I'm allergic to nuts so peanuts are my snack of choice quite often.

yeah, i need to get serious with builking.

there are people i need to impress and running out of time to do it :p

rokkerkory

Man, having a good spotter is crucial to gaining I feel. Without a good spotter, it's very hard to push to the 10th degree because I just won't risk getting injury.

In anycase, pushing legs today! \m/

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, having a good spotter is crucial to gaining I feel. Without a good spotter, it's very hard to push to the 10th degree because I just won't risk getting injury.

In anycase, pushing legs today! m/

Nope. Shouldn't need someone to help you push yourself. It can help, but not required.

Also it's "the nth degree."

rokkerkory

Nope. Shouldn't need someone to help you push yourself. It can help, but not required.

Also it's "the nth degree."

Well that's really based on your goals right?

I push myself to a certain level where I am struggling but not risk injury. If that's not 'pushing myself' by someone else's definition then fine it doesn't really matter.

What matters is that I progress at the end of the day. I'll be able to progress faster with a spotter, that's for sure. But just because I don't have a spotter doesn't mean I don't push myself. :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I push myself to a certain level where I am struggling but not risk injury. If that's not 'pushing myself' by someone else's definition then fine it doesn't really matter.

What matters is that I progress at the end of the day. I'll be able to progress faster with a spotter, that's for sure. But just because I don't have a spotter doesn't mean I don't push myself. :)

Wat

rage1973

I am back to squatting after my ACL replacement surgery.
Starting slow at 135x20.
I am hoping to hit my old weights by middle of next year and doing 325x5.

blackflag

Now I'm totally confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom