• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
The protein timing meta-analysis courtesy of Alan Aragon is now indexed in PubMed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24299050

tl;dr anabolic window with regards to protein intake is bullshit

Aragon et. al said:
Second, the majority of studies evaluated subjects who were inexperienced with resistance
exercise.
It is well-established that highly trained individuals respond differently to the
demands of resistance training compared with those who lack training experience [66]. In
part, this is attributed to a “ceiling effect” whereby gains in muscle mass become
progressively more difficult as a trainee gets closer to his genetic hypertrophic potential.
There also is emerging evidence showing that regimented resistance exercise attenuates
anabolic intracellular signaling in rodents [67] and humans, conceivably diminishing the
hypertrophic response. Our sub-analysis failed to show an interaction effect between
resistance training status and protein timing for either strength or hypertrophy. However,
statistical power was low because only 4 studies using trained subjects met inclusion criteria.
Future research should therefore focus on determining the effects of protein timing on
muscular adaptations in those with at least 1 year or more of regular, consistent resistance
training experience.

Hope springs eternal

Szu

You sons of bitches, just reading that I felt a throb in my left shoulder. Now I gotta do twice the rotator cuff warmups and shoulder dislocations today just because you made me paranoid

Just throw some salt over your shoulder for good luck and you'll be fine.

MjFrancis

guys, where were you!

seeing you guys post is like a nostalgia trip to OT4/early OT5, nice to see you are still around.
Thanks sphinx. I'm been mostly keeping up on the thread, but I'm leaving the posts to our resident strength wizards. They've been covering the bases and keeping the motivation alive.

Judging by Rando's avatar I'm pretty sure we've both been riding the Seattle Seahawks train on it's way to the Super Bowl.

Pete Rock

I had a dream last night where I ate a mystical fried ice cream churro cone hybrid of sorts, got half way through it, then I started feeling guilty and awful. Damned strict diet, I can't even enjoy non-existent junk food in my dreams!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks sphinx. I'm been mostly keeping up on the thread, but I'm leaving the posts to our resident strength wizards. They've been covering the bases and keeping the motivation alive.

Judging by Rando's avatar I'm pretty sure we've both been riding the Seattle Seahawks train on it's way to the Super Bowl.

Whatevs...

Cudder

Failed my OHP sets this morning. Was supposed to hit 3 sets of 5 at 150. Only got 4 reps on the first set and 3 on the second. Ugh!

sphinx

the piano man
so, today was the day, I broke the 100kg/220lbs barrier on the Squat 5x3. I know is nothing compared to some strength achievements in the thread but I was looking forward to it so today is a good day.

my left knee was feeling bad the whole week but I said fuck it, warmed up the best I could and it was o.k for a first try. decent rom I think.

so gif time.

squat100_zps3bcda093.gif

sorry for the heel going up :p, this was the first set and took some adjusment, It felt like the weight was pushing me forward. Will work on that,

Szu

so, today was the day, I broke the 100kg/220lbs barrier on the Squat 5x3. I know is nothing compared to some strength achievements in the thread but I was looking forward to it so today is a good day.

my left knee was feeling bad the whole week but I said fuck it, warmed up the best I could and it was o.k for a first try. decent rom I think.

so gif time.

squat100_zps3bcda093.gif

sorry for the heel going up :p, this was the first set and took some adjusment, It felt like the weight was pushing me forward. Will work on that,

Nice work, sphinx.

Heh, left knee probably also feels bad about being left out of the gif. :(

so gif time.

squat100_zps3bcda093.gif

congrats! its more than I can squat

rokkerkory

so gif time.

squat100_zps3bcda093.gif

nicee!!!!!

so gif time.

squat100_zps3bcda093.gif

Congrats on the PR dude!

------------

I think I just may have found my dream gym....

On my way to scouting a MMA dojo - which was located in an almost super secret fashion - , I stumbled across a dislocated gym, close to the dojo's address (Seriously, the place was hidden in some warehouse behind, more warehouses, and then some more warehouses).

The place is super tidey, very open/spacious, professional, with a very strong emphasis on free weights. Squat racks everywhere. Personal/staff are former weight lifters. The female clerk I was talking to had a former carreer i powerlifting. The whole place stank of professionalism. It was kinda like love at first sight, plus is pretty close to this dojo for some afterwards jiu jiutsu training.

I only noticed this place by accident, while walking by I spotted something I rarely see - a fit woman squating 100 kgs in a squat rack - which is nearly unheard of around my area - so my curiousity naturally peaked and I had to learn more about it.

Only downside is the membership price, which is kinda steep for my budget atm - same with the dojo membership.

In about 2 months it might become a realistic possibility to switch from my current gym to this one.

The dojo was pretty okay. Seems pretty secretive which feels like its founded on a strong sense of brotherhood. It's seriously very secluded.

sphinx

the piano man
Nice work, sphinx.

Heh, left knee probably also feels bad about being left out of the gif. :(

Thanks!

the power rack in my gym is placed in a corner so it's bad for taking video or selfies, For sets 2 and 3 I changed the angle and turned out to be even worse :/

congrats! its more than I can squat

Thanks!

I am sure I am behind you on everything else.

For some reason the squat kept getting better. On OHP and Bench, I am taking for-fucking-ever to up the weight. Probably because I was sick and busy in Sept and Oct, lost strength and had to make my way back to the numbers I had reached. so basically I am right now where I left 2 months ago..,

I think some guys here are going through that, being sick or injured and making their way back up. It's infuriating, it's like someone stole your PRs. To see yourself struggling to finish sets that were supposed to be easy makes you want swear out loud.

220 lbs squat should have happened one month ago, if not earlier, but shit happens. Hopefully I have some good news the coming days. OHP would be 104.5 and Bench 154... piss poor numbers but that's where I stand.

nicee!!!!!

Congrats on the PR dude!

thank you guys, I was feeling bad cause many of you have been posting PRs and I was taking too long to break any of my previous ones.

on another note, today I received per mail liquid chalk and tomorrow is back day, so everything is going according to plan.

it's my last shot for a decent deadlift grip. I really really hope it makes a difference.

I finally got my squat to 100kg 3x5 yesterday. Now for the next set of goals!

All right, who's the dead man with the salt shaker?

I only had the potassium salt substitute handy. I believe this is why my shoulder was fine but i ended up doing the roll of shame trying to bench 185 for 9. The eighth rep seemed so easy, too! At least I didn't bang the shit out of my hip bones.

The roll of shame becomes much, much harder without a big squishy fat cushion to bounce the bar off of.

Failed my OHP sets this morning. Was supposed to hit 3 sets of 5 at 150. Only got 4 reps on the first set and 3 on the second. Ugh!

Shitty OHP day for me too. Expected at least 1x5 130 and instead petered out 1x1 and 1x2. I missed OHP last week and benched yesterday due to scheduling issues though, so I'm not all that surprised.

Cooter

What does fitgaf eat before bed?

I have a healthy helping of cottage cheese each night.

Hawaiian sweet bread at the moment. I try to mix it up so I get a small satisfaction via food. I have somewhat eliminated the ability of food to cause extreme euphoria by this point. It's necessary for me to control my food and not it me.

When I'm not trying to put on any weight I stick to cottage cheese, nuts or any other high protein/fat foods.

MarkusRJR

I'm trying to get into shape, but until I can save up for a nice exercise bike I'm focusing on lifting weights and eating healthy. My main goal is to keep muscle mass and lose fat (pretty common goal I'd assume). Tomorrow I'm picking up a ton of food, but I don't know what I should pick up. I'm mostly going to just focus on eating healthy foods before I move onto a specific kind of diet (like no carb or lots of carbs or whatnot)? Can someone give me a few ideas of some general healthy foods/meals? Due to work and money I've basically been living off frozen meals, take out, and cheap garbage. I need to relearn how to cook...

I know for sure I'm picking up some fish and chicken (fresh stuff) and a few fruits. What are some other easy healthy meals out there? Is there a good resource for this sort of stuff?

Thanks to whoever takes the time to respond. :)

Chocobro

I'm trying to get into shape, but until I can save up for a nice exercise bike I'm focusing on lifting weights and eating healthy. My main goal is to keep muscle mass and lose fat (pretty common goal I'd assume). Tomorrow I'm picking up a ton of food, but I don't know what I should pick up. I'm mostly going to just focus on eating healthy foods before I move onto a specific kind of diet (like no carb or lots of carbs or whatnot)? Can someone give me a few ideas of some general healthy foods/meals? Due to work and money I've basically been living off frozen meals, take out, and cheap garbage. I need to relearn how to cook...

I know for sure I'm picking up some fish and chicken (fresh stuff) and a few fruits. What are some other easy healthy meals out there? Is there a good resource for this sort of stuff?

SimpleScienceFitness - Short List of Foods. There are some meals if you scroll down a bit. That link used to be in the previous OT.
You could also look at BuffDude's YouTube playlist for healthy food recipes.

Good luck brah :)

EDIT: I think the other GAFfers would recommend you to buy a slow cooker if you don't have one already. Pretty good recipe for the slow cooker.

sphinx

the piano man
I finally got my squat to 100kg 3x5 yesterday. Now for the next set of goals!

nothing can stop us now! :) I think I could try 102.5 kgs next time, 100 kgs felt very o.k., it depends on my knees. If it feels 100% alright, I'll go for it.

how long did it take you to get there? I take pride on both www.exrx.net and strstd.com saying I have an above intermediate level on this move.

specially exrx.net, which states it takes "a couple of years" to reach that level. I don't think I've been squatting for more than a year yet. I was probably starting just now a year ago, if at all... I took my sweat long ass time with free weigths. :p

Nice and deep, sphinx. High five bro.

thanks man, I've reading you're doing better too!

fuck that fit-ghost.

Doing great sphinx!!! Keep it up!

thanks Darth. I will!

regarding leg days in general, those leg pics you posted last year were truly inspiring.

I remember I thought "Damn, I want that, I don't care if pants don't fit, I want to destroy watermelons with my thighs" lol XD.

Genes are not on my side as my legs are somewhat thin but I'll take any gains.

A few suggestions:

meat:
Ground meat
bacon
salmon
tuna
ground chicken
chicken breasts
pork

vegetables:
tomato
cucumber
radishes
brussels sprouts
onions
Peppers
celery
Bro-colli

Fruit:
banans
apples
pears
oranges
mangos
kiwi

+berries

NB!:

Don't forget them nuts!:

unsalted peanuts
almonds
walnuts
cashews

+eggs

You can make alot of combinations with just that in your grocery bag, and cook something tasty and delicious.

Cooter

Minor victory. After only 3 weeks of bulking a trainer asked a girl at the gym I know if I was on something. She said no and he asked again with a, are you sure? Felt good.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So set PRs across the board this week. I weigh at least 141 lbs or slightly more. Doing 5/3/1 BBB.

OHP: 100x3
Deadlift: 255x5
Bench: 155x3
Squat: 240x3

Still trying to fix the issue of grip slowly slipping from the bar in the middle of squat sets though. O and lets just say I was lucky to rerack the bar for squats today aftet the last rep of 240 lbs. Btw this is with a thumbless grip and lowbar squats. Did a quick search and guess I'll adjust bar placement since narrower grip doesn't work for me. Besides those issues, think I'm doing ok.

Edit: ok my hands just sweat like crazy which may be why my grip loosens during sets.

moocow

Failed at 310 squat :(. I only have myself to blame, cause I am positive I could have done it, but just didn't want it enough.

Gotta try again next week I guess.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I got a noob human biology question.

Why is it that if a skinny person eats too much, nearly all that weight goes to the gut? I mean, I know that it's suppose to be where men are supposed to store their excess fat. But I guess my question is, why doesn't it get distributed fairly evenly throughout the body? There's plenty of people out there, who, while they don't work out, and therefore don't really build muscle per se, their mass is spread throughout their body thus making them seem normal.

Why is that?

SeanR1221

Why is it that if a skinny person eats too much, nearly all that weight goes to the gut? I mean, I know that it's suppose to be where men are supposed to store their excess fat. But I guess my question is, why doesn't it get distributed fairly evenly throughout the body? There's plenty of people out there, who, while they don't work out, and therefore don't really build muscle per se, their mass is spread throughout their body thus making them seem normal.

Why is that?

Different people will put on fat in different areas. I don't think there's any rule that skinny dudes put on fat at the stomach first.

Why is that?

There is no set rule that skinny guys gain it in their stomach, although yes, men tend to collect fat in their stomach and women tend to collect fat in their hips and thighs. I am unsure if there's any proven reason as to why we collect fat the way we do, but I would speculate women collect fat around thighs and hips as some sort of benefit for childbearing, while men, not ever giving birth, instead collect fat around their midsection as a protective layer over their vital organs. Just spouting out shit I'm thinking up on the spot, but it seems logical to me.

As to why some people collect fat more evenly throughout their body? Who knows. Genetics are very complicated and as much as we know, it's only a fraction of what we'll understand 5, 10, or 50 years from now.

J. Bravo

may I ask your height and weight? cause 215 is a lot of weight to bench for reps.

that's already a great achievement.

You could probably get a couple reps at 225!
5'11 3/4" so basically 6'. 177lbs. I got 225 twice last month, just wanna be able to do it for, say, 3 sets of 8. Thanks though.

in the meantime, I think my squat form is shit, because I only got 285 5 times and it was hard.

Minor victory. After only 3 weeks of bulking a trainer asked a girl at the gym I know if I was on something. She said no and he asked again with a, are you sure? Felt good.

When will it be my turn?

I want people to think I'm on something too

215 for 6 on bench yesterday.

I just wanna rep 225. Is that too much to ask?

right there with you bro, except I'm at 205 so I have some catching up to do

rokkerkory

Chest round 2 for the week today!

- Bench press: 4x7-10 reps, 185 to 205lbs
- Dumbbell press: 3x8-10 reps, 70lbs
- Incline dumbbell press: 3x8-10, 65lbs
- Incline dumbbell flys: 3x8-10, 40lbs
- Machine seated weighted dips: 3x10, 230lbs

Added some calves at the end too. Really felt good today.

nothing can stop us now! :) I think I could try 102.5 kgs next time, 100 kgs felt very o.k., it depends on my knees. If it feels 100% alright, I'll go for it.

I started a year ago but kept giving up. I have been consistently doing SS for a month now, i want to get fit for rugby and decided to finally stick to this program. I'll be trying to do 102.5 next workout. I think once i reach 110-120 i'll do a pretty big deload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom