• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Using ephedrine (if you can tolerate it) makes dealing with the hunger pangs much easier.

I'm pretty good with that, yesterday I watched my sister and nephews eat pizza in front of me. It was 7pm and I hadn't eaten since 6am, just me telling myself "Don't be a fat slob until after your workout!"

So today I did 155lb squats for 4 sets/5 reps comfortably, which I'm pretty stoked about. Haven't been training squats too long, and it's always been one of my weaker lifts. The fact that I can lift almost 15lbs over my bodyweight is reassuring.

But of course, I'd love for a form check!

I think this is the best angle I've taken so far, so let's hear it!

Are you trying to do high bar or low bar? Are you on SS? I would have you looking down instead of up. You are also going very deep, so try to always maintain your lower back super tight. The squat looks good otherwise, keep it up and keep posting the vids as you increase the weight!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Are you trying to do high bar or low bar? Are you on SS? I would have you looking down instead of up. You are also going very deep, so try to always maintain your lower back super tight. The squat looks good otherwise, keep it up and keep posting the vids as you increase the weight!

Not doing SS, and yeah, I'm focusing on deep high-bar squats.

abuC

MrToughpants, I can finally engage you in food pics!

Had this earlier -

2013-08-23165414_zpsc4d23c96.jpg

Beef pattie on cocoa bread from Jackie's Bakery in the Bronx.

Just had this -

8 cups of spaghetti and 8oz of chicken, not pictured the salad and bagel.

And will be having 5 cups of Cap'n Crunch berry to top off the carb off.

My microplates were a huge success today:
9578171685_6c7df71033_c.jpg

Today's lifts:
Squat 310x3x5 3/3/2 (just no energy)
Overhead Press 132.7x3x5 Easy!
Pull Ups 4/4/4 (1 rep more per set than last week)

Cudder

So today I did 155lb squats for 4 sets/5 reps comfortably, which I'm pretty stoked about. Haven't been training squats too long, and it's always been one of my weaker lifts. The fact that I can lift almost 15lbs over my bodyweight is reassuring.

But of course, I'd love for a form check!

I think this is the best angle I've taken so far, so let's hear it!

They look good, but it looks like you're not sticking out your butt a lot, and you're just bending at the knees in order to get low. Your hips unlocking and moving back should be the first movement.

MrOogieBoogie

They look good, but it looks like you're not sticking out your butt a lot, and you're just bending at the knees in order to get low. Your hips unlocking and moving back should be the first movement.

I've always been confused about that, because I hear that for high-bar squats, you should think about sitting in between your legs rather than sitting back in a chair like with low-bar squats. So that's the method I've employed for a while now. You're saying try it the other way?

Raxus

I've always been confused about that, because I hear that for high-bar squats, you should think about sitting in between your legs rather than sitting back in a chair like with low-bar squats. So that's the method I've employed for a while now. You're saying try it the other way?

I prefer sitting in a chair. I hate doing the full extensions I see people do. My knee aches at the thought.

Noema

I've always been confused about that, because I hear that for high-bar squats, you should think about sitting in between your legs rather than sitting back in a chair like with low-bar squats.

No, you are correct and your squats do look pretty good. In the high bar squat the knee travels forward quite a bit (it has to in order to accommodate the vertical path of the bar over the middle of the foot) , so there's no chance for the butt to stick out.

I'd try to keep a more neutral head positioning (but again, this is not as crucial as it is with a low bar squat, since in a low bar squat looking up will likely kill your hip drive), and you should try to lead with your chest a bit more on the way up but other than that they are solid, almost textbook high bar squats. You obviously have a lot of flexibility which allows you to go super deep without losing lumbar extension.

My microplates were a huge success today:
9578171685_6c7df71033_c.jpg

Those look fantastic. Where did you get them?

I can't believe I've been having the urge to cheat so much, it's up to like once a week. I normally can go without thinking of cheating for a month or so.

:(

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I really do think I need to move on from SS after 3 months. Thought I could do 215 lb squats on Wed after upping the food intake and carbs and sleeping well but I wasn't getting paralell until the last set and that was only 3 reps. Tried again today and only got like 4 proper reps first set and knew goin back up the the fifth rep would be ugly. Next set only got 3 reps at 210 lbs before running out of steam. Most I can do comfortably and properly atm is 205 lbs. Also is this normal?. Posted my lifts and other relevant info the other day and was told to eat more. Not sure if I should just continue eating more and doing SS even if my squats and deads are becoming a pain.
Edit: Looked up for anyone in a similar dilema and I guess instead of a new routine I should modify SS. If thats the case anyone have tips to modify to get my squats and deads back up.?

So I really do think I need to move on from SS after 3 months. Thought I could do 215 lb squats on Wed after upping the food intake and carbs and sleeping well but I wasn't getting paralell until the last set and that was only 3 reps. Tried again today and only got like 4 proper reps first set and knew goin back up the the fifth rep would be ugly. Next set only got 3 reps at 210 lbs before running out of steam. Most I can do comfortably and properly atm is 205 lbs. Also is this normal?. Posted my lifts and other relevant info the other day and was told to eat more. Not sure if I should just continue eating more and doing SS even if my squats and deads are becoming a pain.
Edit: Looked up for anyone in a similar dilema and I guess instead of a new routine I should modify SS. If thats the case anyone have tips to modify to get my squats and deads back up.?

Have you already reset 3 times? 3 months is not very long.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Have you already reset 3 times? 3 months is not very long.
Yeah I've been tryin to move up for the past week and a half or so for squats at least. Deads I can get like 3 reps at 205 lbs with normal grip them after I switch to alt grip since they'll look ugly otherwise. OHP I moved up 5 lbs to 80 lbs and bench is at 135 lbs.

Those numbers are actually pretty good. You might consider moving to an intermediate routine now. As you mentioned, if you don't want to drastically change routines, modifying SS is another good option.

Edit: Is that bench and OHP 1 rep max? If so, you might still want to stay on SS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Those numbers are actually pretty good. You might consider moving to an intermediate routine now. As you mentioned, if you don't want to drastically change routines, modifying SS is another good option.

Edit: Is that bench and OHP 1 rep max? If so, you might still want to stay on SS.
Naw bench I can def do 3x5 and same with OHP. Bench took forever to get at that weight too haha. Also just did it without a spotter for the first time. *Attempts to move up 5 lbs with spotter*. Edit: and yes I totally can bench over my body weight, just did 140 lbs woohoo.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Be sure to check out Greyskull LP before starting 5/3/1. It might work very well for you.

Hmm, I'll look into that. Googled and seems it's also a good program to move onto after SS.

Also from the OP I should be doing this?
Monday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
Neck Harness

Friday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift
2.5lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

If so what's the neck harness? And for weighted chins I'm guessing that means using the elastic band and adding a weight to it. Also thanks for the help, can't believe I'm already done with SS but I'm excited to move onto another program.

despire

That's one template of the program. The neck harness isn't really needed if you dont't want to do it. Most just skip it.

The basic GSLP programn has the same lifts as SS, just programmed a bit differently. It's a great program for an advanced novice if you will.

There was a good writeup of the program in the OT5 if you want to read it.

Also google "Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant". It's a sample template made by some dude which incorporates chins and rows to the program.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That's one template of the program. The neck harness isn't really needed if you dont't want to do it. Most just skip it.

The basic GSLP programn has the same lifts as SS, just programmed a bit differently. It's a great program for an advanced novice if you will.

There was a good writeup of the program in the OT4 if you want to read it.

Also google "Phrak's Greyskull LP Variant". It's a sample template made by some dude which incorporates chins and rows to the program.

Ahh thanks will look at check those out. Sounds perfect since I probably am an advanced novice now.

Ugh, I have been sleeping like shit lately, my ankles & wrists ache, the entirety of my legs hurt after a little airport trip, and for some reason my fingers are swollen.

giga

Any whey alternatives for those who are lactose intolerant? Or do you guys just take lactase with it?

Google is telling me to try whey protein isolate.

KanyeEast

Banned
So guys i'm 89kg/196lbs now. Goal is to be 65kg/143lbs by february. I have high work schedule of 56 hours per week. My job requires me to use my brains a lot, so being a walking a zombie is not what i need.I am signing up monday for the gym.

Is my goal realistic in a healty way? What kind of diet should i follow? What kind of equipment should i use?

SeanR1221

From Petrie. Can anyone help him out??

Looking for thoughts on my new bulking plan while keeping it working with my schedule. During the workweek all I have is lunch hour if I want a social life, so my intention is to do my 5/3/1 and BBB lifts 4 days a week, lets say Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, but no accessory work. Then on my Sunday "rest day" I want to have an "arm and accessory" day where I just go throw in whatever accessory lifts I missed out on, such as weighted dips, laying triceps extensions, various curls, etc. Looking for the FitGaf opinions. I wish I could fit my accesory stuff in during the week but if I ever want to see my girl and such, it just isn't happening.

So guys i'm 89kg/196lbs now. Goal is to be 65kg/143lbs by february. I have high work schedule of 56 hours per week. My job requires me to use my brains a lot, so being a walking a zombie is not what i need.I am signing up monday for the gym.

Is my goal realistic in a healty way? What kind of diet should i follow? What kind of equipment should i use?

Well it depends. Your goal is to lose 53lb in 23 weeks. That's about 2.3lb per week, which I think it's personally on the "highly dedicated, never cheating, no Christmas eating or beer drinking ever" category since that's about 1250calories in deficit per day.

The real question are:

1) What's your age, gender and height?
2) Why do you need to lose that specific amount of weight?
3) Is your work week 5 day or 6 day? If you are at work at 9AM, a 5 day 56/hour workweek will have you leave your work at 8PM. You could lift from 7:30AM to 8:30AM or 8:00PM to 10:00PM no problem. If it's a 6 day workweek, it's much easier.
4) Before you sign up for the gym, be sure to read the OP. Most people will recommend you to do Starting Strength and they wouldn't be wrong, but in order to do the program, you need to have access to a squat rack that is free weight, not on rails and a bench for bench pressing. Be sure the gym you sign up for has that stuff

Yeah seen alot of fit gaf doing it, that is my plan now. Just wanted to ask here to make sure I'm ready for it before moving off SS. Thanks for the advice.

Have you already tried starting strength variation for advanced novices, that's what I am doing right now. It adds a light day on wednesday on the form of the front squat, which is much lower volume than a regular back squat and has you deadlifting every other week:

Week 1
Monday:
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Chin ups 3x15

Wednesday
Front Squat 5x3
Overhead Press 3x5
Dips 3x15

Friday
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pull Ups 3x15
Arms

Week 2
Monday
Back Squat 3x15
Overhead Press 3x5
Chinups weighted3x5

Wednesday
Front Squat 5x3
Bench Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Weighted Dips 3x5

Friday
Back Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Wighted PullUps 3x5
Arns

This routine can squeeze the last of the last linear gains in you

Nelo Ice

Banned
Have you already tried starting strength variation for advanced novices, that's what I am doing right now. It adds a light day on wednesday on the form of the front squat, which is much lower volume than a regular back squat and has you deadlifting every other week:

Week 1
Monday:
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Chin ups 3x15

Wednesday
Front Squat 5x3
Overhead Press 3x5
Dips 3x15

Friday
Back Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pull Ups 3x15
Arms

Week 2
Monday
Back Squat 3x15
Overhead Press 3x5
Chinups weighted3x5

Wednesday
Front Squat 5x3
Bench Press 3x5
Power Clean 5x3
Weighted Dips 3x5

Friday
Back Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Wighted PullUps 3x5
Arns

This routine can squeeze the last of the last linear gains in you
First I'm hearing of this, hmm sounds good as well, gah so many choices.

KanyeEast

Banned
Well it depends. Your goal is to lose 53lb in 23 weeks. That's about 2.3lb per week, which I think it's personally on the "highly dedicated, never cheating, no Christmas eating or beer drinking ever" category since that's about 1250calories in deficit per day.

The real question are:

1) What's your age, gender and height?
2) Why do you need to lose that specific amount of weight?
3) Is your work week 5 day or 6 day? If you are at work at 9AM, a 5 day 56/hour workweek will have you leave your work at 8PM. You could lift from 7:30AM to 8:30AM or 8:00PM to 10:00PM no problem. If it's a 6 day workweek, it's much easier.
4) Before you sign up for the gym, be sure to read the OP. Most people will recommend you to do Starting Strength and they wouldn't be wrong, but in order to do the program, you need to have access to a squat rack that is free weight, not on rails and a bench for bench pressing. Be sure the gym you sign up for has that stuff

The date i wrote was something i thought was realistic, but you guys know better so that's why i asked it.

1) Age: 26 Gender: Male Height: 1.69meter
2) No specific reason. It's a goal i set for myself. I think it's my ideal weight being 65 at this length.
3) It's a 6.5 day a week. From 8am till 4pm. So that's no problem
4) I was thinking about just doing cardio in the beginning for the first 10kg/25 pound and from there going to other things. Is this a good idea?
5) What kind of diet should i follow?

Visceir

Speaking of fit women, I stumbled on this video while browsing through some FIBO 2013 videos on youtube: Models at FIBO 2013

Had chest day in the gym yesterday, tried doing 3x5 70 kg (154 lbs), but on the last set only managed to do 4. My elbow also started to ache slightly at the same place it did when I was doing triceps on wednesday. 3 months are up since I started going to the gym and I figured I'm gonna do a deload week, focus more on cardio, core and legs perhaps and let my arm/elbow rest.

The date i wrote was something i thought was realistic, but you guys know better so that's why i asked it.

1) Age: 26 Gender: Male Height: 1.69meter
2) No specific reason. It's a goal i set for myself. I think it's my ideal weight being 65 at this length.
3) It's a 6.5 day a week. From 8am till 4pm. So that's no problem
4) I was thinking about just doing cardio in the beginning for the first 10kg/25 pound and from there going to other things. Is this a good idea?
5) What kind of diet should i follow?

The only reason to hold off on strength training would be if you passionately hate it. It has health and fitness benefits and there's not really any reason to wait to start experiencing them. In fact, the fat-burning power of hour-long treadmill sessions is greatly exaggerated most of the time.

Wouldn't it make more sense to squeeze in the accessories every BBB day?

I mean, you're essentially just looking at doing bicep, tricep, maybe deltoid if you want some lateral raises, and abs to do.

Squeeze in lateral raises on OHP day, bicep on Squat, Tricep on Deadlift, and ab work on Bench day.

Even if it is a time issue, you'd think each accessory if spread out would only require at most an extra 5 minutes, but if you're really that short on time then I guess it might work squeezing them into a seperate day.

SeanR1221

I see Squiddy responded to me, problem is I am working out at lunch so it is pushing it time-wise to even fit in my 5/3/1 followed by BBB sets. There isn't time for any accesory stuff, and definitely not for stuff like weighted dips and such. The time simply isn't there, I have 35-40 minutes.

MrOogieBoogie

I'd try to keep a more neutral head positioning (but again, this is not as crucial as it is with a low bar squat, since in a low bar squat looking up will likely kill your hip drive), and you should try to lead with your chest a bit more on the way up but other than that they are solid, almost textbook high bar squats. You obviously have a lot of flexibility which allows you to go super deep without losing lumbar extension.

Okay, great, will work on this next time. Any tips for "leading with my chest"?

BTW, cool pic a buddy took recently:

jop8IF2N4fAuH.jpg

dat unconventional training

Okay, great, will work on this next time. Any tips for "leading with my chest"?

Thoracic extension, aka squeezing your chest up, like we all do when a hot chick (or dude) walks by. Another small thing to help with this is instead of pointing your elbows backwards (shoulder extension), like your doing now, point them a little more downwards (just be careful the weight is still resting on your back, instead of your arms).

Using ephedrine (if you can tolerate it) makes dealing with the hunger pangs much easier.

+1, EC stack helped get me through the rapid fat loss diet & I started taking it again on my current cut. Definitely helps keep your hunger in check.

Seems to me like if all his accessory stuff is upper body and the first day BBB day squats he'd be fine.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Traveling to other gyms makes me appreciate mine even more. This place was huge. Unfortunately the kids club was larger than the free weight area. One squat rack! Nuff said.

Definitely got a lot of, "who the fuck is this guy" looks when I was doing weighted pull ups. Being that this was my hometown where I went to high school I was hoping to see someone I recognized. Not a soul looked familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom