• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

I'll be on vacation next week, sticking to my diet too and still going to the gym, this boat don't stop for nothing!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Traveling to other gyms makes me appreciate mine even more. This place was huge. Unfortunately the kids club was larger than the free weight area. One squat rack! Nuff said.

Definitely got a lot of, "who the fuck is this guy" looks when I was doing weighted pull ups. Being that this was my hometown where I went to high school I was hoping to see someone I recognized. Not a soul looked familiar.

Shoulda busted out your 45+ lb muscle ups for good measure!.

Also I wish my gym had more than 2 freaking squat racks. Most 24 super sports I've been to only have 2 though I have been to ones with 3 and apparently there's one with 4 but out of way for me. At least the good news is they don't nearly get as much traffic as the smith machines so I usually don't have to wait or work in.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Shoulda busted out your 45+ lb muscle ups for good measure!.

Also I wish my gym had more than 2 freaking squat racks. Most 24 super sports I've been to only have 2 though I have been to ones with 3 and apparently there's one with 4 but out of way for me. At least the good news is they don't nearly get as much traffic as the smith machines so I usually don't have to wait or work in.

I didn't do a single muscle up, let alone weighted ones. Those are on Tuesdays anyway. Seven 90lb pull ups was enough to represent FitGaf proper!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Thoracic extension, aka squeezing your chest up, like we all do when a hot chick (or dude) walks by. Another small thing to help with this is instead of pointing your elbows backwards (shoulder extension), like your doing now, point them a little more downwards (just be careful the weight is still resting on your back, instead of your arms).

Thanks so much for the advice, will absolutely employ all of it next time.

I am starting to look skinny fat, but I gotta keep this cut going, still got a little bit of pudge I want to get rid of.

I think my legs are starting to look a bit on the thin side, so I might try to increase volume at expense of some superfluous ab work:
IMG_20130825_014509.jpg

IMG_20130825_014529.jpg

Looking forward to squats tomorrow!

Can anyone recommend a good protein powder for someone on a tight budget?

There was a specific site people post that has a good buy-in-bulk promotion called "recession whey" that you're probably about to get linked to.

Last time Ibought protein powder, Ibrowsed to find the cheapest flavor on amazon- saved 8 bucks to buy a less popular one over just chocolate.

TheJerit

Can anyone recommend a good protein powder for someone on a tight budget?

thinking about picking some of this next month to mix in with my trutein. pretty damn cheap for over 4 lbs. I hear that only banana nut or fudge brownie are the flavors you really want to go with though. Maybe others here have had experience with it. I can give a review in a couple of weeks. I'll try it by itself, but I'll admit that that won't be how I typically take it (dat trutein is fucking delicious).

Also since its a mix that includes egg protein like trutein, it should be pretty good for cooking/baking with. I know the trutein was for the protein waffles we did last weekend.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite-xt.html

thinking about picking some of this next month to mix in with my trutein. pretty damn cheap for over 4 lbs. I hear that only banana nut or fudge brownie are the flavors you really want to go with though. Maybe others here have had experience with it. I can give a review in a couple of weeks. I'll try it by itself, but I'll admit that that won't be how I typically take it (dat trutein is fucking delicious).

Also since its a mix that includes egg protein like trutein, it should be pretty good for cooking/baking with. I know the trutein was for the protein waffles we did last weekend.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite-xt.html

Damn, that's a fucking phenomenal price. Unless someone can post a better deal, I might just get this.

SeanR1221

Goddamn this cut has caught up to me.

I've been working on this report for work for months and finally finished. My wife and I celebrated at the sushi buffet. I can usually eat 4-5 full plates there.

Tonight? I was stuffed after 2. 2!!!!

Is vanilla/chocolate soy milk ok, Silk brand specifically? By ok, I mean is it fine to have it once a day blended with my protein, or should I not bother?

Noema

Is vanilla/chocolate soy milk ok, Silk brand specifically? By ok, I mean is it fine to have it once a day blended with my protein, or should I not bother?

Some people have certain reactions to soy milk like bloating / indigestion. If that's not the case for you I don't see why not.

abuC

My power day went well for the most part, however I might have to cut back the weight on Thursday or increase my protein intake, or do both. My strength is up, but there might be a little too much volume crammed into such a short period of time for my knee to handle, I had a bit of tendonitis in it today. And while my right shoulder is 99% of where it once was, I'm not sure all this volume is good for it, especially when 7 sets are devoted to lifting between 85-100% of my max, nevermind the 12 sets of light presses.

sphinx

the piano man
I admire MTP's eating habits. As he said, the only macro he is concerned about it CALORIES.

Beast Mode.

the last days I have changed my approach towards tracking my food.

I have been writing everything down and putting the total macros for complete menus, that way I can combine the meals in a much better way, depending of what I am lacking more.

on a related note, (bolded for visibility) what exactly is the difference between a clean bulk and a dirty bulk??

I hope somebody can asnwer this. The more I investigate about it, the more I get confused with those terms. the goal is to reach the macros, period, isn't it? why is it bad to get them from a burger than from a grilled chicken breast or a bunch of broccolis, etc?

have you guys read the nutritional info of a frozen pizza?? is like the fucking golden lottery ticket for anyone on a bulk!! near 1000 cals, a lot of carbs, not much but still decent protein, is such a no brainer on a bulk, I have to wonder why isn'0t it more popular.

I honestly have no idea what the difference between a clean/dirty bulk is.
When I think of a clean bulk though, I'm thinking of a really controlled bulk where you're only eating enough of a surplus to gain weight at a rate that suggests most of the gained weight is in the form of lean body mass (1-2lbs a month) and by ensuring that your diet as well is clean (complex carbs over simple ones, healthy fats over unhealthy fats, and plenty of proteins) because that aids your body in delivering the nutrients to your muscles rather than your fat deposits.

A dirty bulk, you just eat as much as possible, disregarding the fat you add on in addition to musclemass.

sphinx

the piano man
I honestly have no idea what the difference between a clean/dirty bulk is.
When I think of a clean bulk though, I'm thinking of a really controlled bulk where you're only eating enough of a surplus to gain weight at a rate that suggests most of the gained weight is in the form of lean body mass (1-2lbs a month) and by ensuring that your diet as well is clean (complex carbs over simple ones, healthy fats over unhealthy fats, and plenty of proteins) because that aids your body in delivering the nutrients to your muscles rather than your fat deposits.

A dirty bulk, you just eat as much as possible, disregarding the fat you add on in addition to musclemass.

yes, that is exactly the idea of CB vs DB that I have had so far... but at the end, it's just a matter of hitting the numbers at the end of the day. isn't it?

so if we disregard how much fat (or any other macro) we get, then that's not a serious plan regarding nutrition, we'd be just fucking around, in my opinion. Probably way exceeding the amount of one macro and not getting anywhere near another one.

conclusion, "Dirty Bulk" does not exist as a nutritionl plan, it's just not caring at all.

the bolded is the summarized concept of weight gaining while on a demanding strenght training plan. If we reach our macro numbers eating pizza, burgers, or absolutely anything and we don't exceed the amount of macros needed, then that would constitute a "clean bulk" right?

So clean bulk means you are sticking to the numbers that point towards gaining lean mass and as little fat as possible and not that we have to eat certain type of things. In this sense, Pizza sounds like a better food with all it contains than fucking Tuna which has absolutely nothing but protein, which you could get from better sources like eggs and meat. am I thinking this right? it's a revelation to me... some months back tuna was the food of the champions and Pizza was sin. I am now comparing the nutritional value and the truth looks completely different.

this is very interesting because it should help dispell some misleading thoughts regarding bulking up. People think:

" Guy eats tons of Chicken Breast and Veggies = guy on a clean Bulk"

" Guy eats Pizza: guy on a dirty bulk not giving a fuck"

none has to be necessarily true, both are dependent on the macro goals, the numbers, if I got this right

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
yes, that is exactly the idea of CB vs DB that I have had so far... but at the end, it's just a matter of hitting the numbers at the end of the day. isn't it?

so if we disregard how much fat (or any other macro) we get, then that's not a serious plan regarding nutrition, we'd be just fucking around, in my opinion. Probably way exceeding the amount of one macro and not getting anywhere near another one.

conclusion, "Dirty Bulk" does not exist as a nutritionl plan, it's just not caring at all.

the bolded is the summarized concept of weight gaining while on a demanding strenght training plan. If we reach our macro numbers eating pizza, burgers, or absolutely anything and we don't exceed the amount of macros needed, then that would constitute a "clean bulk" right?

So clean bulk means you are sticking to the numbers that point towards gaining lean mass and as little fat as possible and not that we have to eat certain type of things. In this sense, Pizza sounds like a better food with all it contains than fucking Tuna which has absolutely nothing but protein, which you could get from better sources like eggs and meat. am I thinking this right? it's a revelation to me... some months back tuna was the food of the champions and Pizza was sin. I am now comparing the nutritional value and the truth looks completely different.

this is very interesting because it should help dispell some misleading thoughts regarding bulking up. People think:

none has to be necessarily true, both are dependent on the macro goals, the numbers, if I got this right

You're essentially correct. You can basically eat anything you want as long as you hit your numbers (calories, fats, carbs, protein). A pizza, Nutella, a candy bar, a McDonald's burger, etc. can EASILY be fit into your diet if you know what you're eating. Of course, you get lots of nutrients from whole foods that you won't get from fast foods, which is another plus to them; however, there are some excellent supplements out there that'll help you consume those nutrients even if you're downing a Snickers bar or something.

It was a pretty big revelation to me when I learned about this, too. If it fits your macros, eat it. Your body doesn't care; food is fuel.

Go_Ly_Dow

Have to merge my back and shoulder routine due to time constraints this week.

Pullups

OHP

Deadlifts

And then finishing it off with the usual isolation exercises. ... does that sound about right or am I going about it the wrong way?

Have to merge my back and shoulder routine due to time constraints this week.

Pullups

OHP

Deadlifts

And then finishing it off with the usual isolation exercises. ... does that sound about right or am I going about it the wrong way?

I would do deadlifts --> OHP --> Pullups personally, just because I like to put the larger lifts first and the smaller stuff last.

That's before we get into stuff like insulin spikes, ineffecient partitioning of nutrients (e.g. the body having an easier time putting it towards fat rather than muscles) and other hormone dependant things that I don't know very much of.

So I would argue against eating a pizza everyday, even if it fits your macros, as pizzas are very simple carbs and has quite a decent amount of sugar in the form of tomato sauce, that might hinder muscle production/increase fat when compared to a similar sized meal consisting of complex carbs and fewer sugars.

SeanR1221

I'd put OHP first, its definitely the more taxing exercise out of those

OHP -> DL -> PU

Nahhhhh, DL should be waaaaay more taxing than OHP.

Deads are a huge strain on the central nervous system. OHP are tough, but his deads deads are definitely harder ;)

Visceir

I consider myself to be on a dirty bulk.

I don't have my portions laid out for me but I try to somewhat keep track of my numbers and macros. Some parts of my diet are fixed, some parts I eat whatever I want.

Breakfast is usually whatever, lunch is something that is really high on calories but depends on what I feel like eating. Inbetween meals I try to eat seeds/nuts, I try to get my protein shake in every day and usually my dinner consists of chicken/pork+veggies. Before bedtime I eat curd cheese which is an easy 30 g of protein with 0g of fat. I don't really weigh any of my portions but try to adjust my eating if I see myself not gaining enough weight or gaining weight too quickly.

Seems to work for me, but I'm still a novice too.

sphinx

the piano man
Nahhhhh, DL should be waaaaay more taxing than OHP.

Deads are a huge strain on the central nervous system. OHP are tough, but his deads deads are definitely harder ;)

you are most likely right, asuming he's at the same level on both lifts. :p

since my deadlift is at the much lower level than my OHP, I basically used my personal experience.to make a suggestion I probably shouldn't have. my bad.

That's before we get into stuff like insulin spikes, ineffecient partitioning of nutrients (e.g. the body having an easier time putting it towards fat rather than muscles) and other hormone dependant things that I don't know very much of.

So I would argue against eating a pizza everyday, even if it fits your macros, as pizzas are very simple carbs and has quite a decent amount of sugar in the form of tomato sauce, that might hinder muscle production/increase fat when compared to a similar sized meal consisting of complex carbs and fewer sugars.

thanks, I learn a lot by reading stuff like this.

despire

You could also argue against doing deadlifts first because it is the more taxing of the two. GSLP is programmed like this.

After a heavy OHP you are probably a bit tired but nothing major. Doesn't affect the rest of your lifts so much. In contrast after a heavy set of DL's you can be absolutely wasted and it will affect your next lift.

Gruco

Banned
Missed my Weds and Fri workouts last week because I got overwhelmed with moving. Where should I start back up on Monday?

Teggy

I just finished off a 2lb can of GNC whey that I bought because I was in a pinch (from the Walgreens GNC section which has a limited selection) and started a 5lb can of ON whey. Maybe this stuff is better nutritionally, but damn the GNC stuff tasted a lot better.

Cudder

I just finished off a 2lb can of GNC whey that I bought because I was in a pinch (from the Walgreens GNC section which has a limited selection) and started a 5lb can of ON whey. Maybe this stuff is better nutritionally, but damn the GNC stuff tasted a lot better.

What flavour did you get? Im using Mint Chocolate ON Whey right now and it tastes awesome in milk.

Teggy

What flavour did you get? Im using Mint Chocolate ON Whey right now and it tastes awesome in milk.

It's the Double Rich Chocolate. I usually just take it mixed with water and my first experience with the ON tasted very bland. I also make a smoothie with peanut butter, yogurt, milk and strawberries (+ whey) and the one I made last night also was missing some of the sweetness. I'm guessing the GNC stuff just has more artificial sweetener.

Mark1

Getting a meal plan from an expert tomorrow, but before I get it I'd like to know something, what is a good breakfast for someone who wants to gain mass and weighs 70kg?

EDIT: If I was to add 5-10lbs of muscle, how long would that take? Are there good pictures to show a transformation of it?

despire

So I'm currently on a diet break, after which I will continue with Leangains as planned. Might do UD 2.0 but I'm not sure yet. It either LG or UD2.0

Anyway I was thinking about switching to RPT style for now in my training, unless I decide to do the UD2.0 (which is the less likely option atm).

In any case this is what I have planned, I'd appreciate some critique/improvements you might come up with:

Monday
Press 3 x 6-10 RPT
Squat 3 x 5-8 RPT
Lateral Raise 3 x 10-20
Face Pull 3 x 10-20

Wednesday
Flat Bench 3 x 6-10 RPT
Incline DB Bench 3 x 6-10 RPT
LTE 3 x 8-12 (what rep range would be the best here?)
DB Incline Curl 3 x 10-15

Friday
Deadlift 2 x 3-6 RPT
Pull-up 3 x 4-8 RPT
T-Bar Row 3 x 6-10
Barbell Drag Curl 3 x 10-12
Hanging Leg Raise 3 x 10-20

jdavid459

hey guys, i'm back....

I've been trying out t25 (beachbody workout program) to loose as much fat as possible before trying to gain muscle. Well four weeks in...and I can't say my body has changed much. My cardio is probably better for basketball and running and such but aesthetically I look the same. I am also getting really tired of the same workouts over and over.

Could someone recommend me a workout plan for cutting fat? Some sort of HIIT program I could follow or something?

hey guys, i'm back....

I've been trying out t25 (beachbody workout program) to loose as much fat as possible before trying to gain muscle. Well four weeks in...and I can't say my body has changed much. My cardio is probably better for basketball and running and such but aesthetically I look the same. I am also getting really tired of the same workouts over and over.

Could someone recommend me a workout plan for cutting fat? Some sort of HIIT program I could follow or something?

I do not have any routines to recommend but would like to chime in and say that if you are having trouble cutting fat, you should reexamine your diet.

SeanR1221

hey guys, i'm back....

If your eventual goal is to gain muscle, just start now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom