• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I just can't go on like this, I reaaaally need a week off.

I am always sleepy, I don't have the strength for anything and my mood is awful. I keep seeing progress in my workout sessions but damn, is it a hassle to push through everything.

all I want is my bed.

I just need to understand that I am not sending my gains to oblivion if don't go to the gym for 4 or 5 days....

(yeah, I know, I know...deload weeks are part of the plan, yadda yadda)

EDIT:

Eh, I hadn't read this when I submitted this post, you read my mind.

so true.

It's bigorexia bro!!!

I'm pushing through bench today (just 180x3 not going for extra reps) and some light accessory. Then light squatting on Saturday and then it's a solid week off. Gonna ice, heat and stretch every day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Eh, you run risk doing any weightlifting or any sport for that matter. My soccer friends are way more beat up than I am.

I think a lot of us could just benefit from an honest week off. But a lot of us tend to keep pushing and pushing. It's tough taking a week off your hobby ;)
Hahaha! Week off? I'm going on 24 days of straight weightlifting! Eat that!!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't go on like this, I reaaaally need a week off.

I am always sleepy, I don't have the strength for anything and my mood is awful. I keep seeing progress in my workout sessions but damn, is it a hassle to push through everything.

all I want is my bed.

I just need to understand that I am not sending my gains to oblivion if don't go to the gym for 4 or 5 days....

(yeah, I know, I know...deload weeks are part of the plan, yadda yadda)

EDIT:

Eh, I hadn't read this when I submitted this post, you read my mind.

so true.

I TOLD YOU BROTHER! It's time for either a deload week or a whole week off! I've been postponing mine as every time I feel like I'm at my sanity limit, then I have a really GOOD workout that fixes it. I know I need a week off. My gains won't vanish. Neither will yours. Take a week. Soak it up. Then it's time to get to work!

A question I never really thought about. On Wednesdays I do OHP's after my squats. Should I do them first? Will freshness help any?

Squats first, OHP later, but it depends on what program you are on.

Do you guys have any go to workouts for bulking up your abs?
1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Squats
4. Squats
5. Deadlifts

What are you gaining from this?
He is doing the cyclical keto diet, I think

I TOLD YOU BROTHER! It's time for either a deload week or a whole week off! I've been postponing mine as every time I feel like I'm at my sanity limit, then I have a really GOOD workout that fixes it. I know I need a week off. My gains won't vanish. Neither will yours. Take a week. Soak it up. Then it's time to get to work!

Are you still on SS? Sounds like Starting Strength towards approaching the first stall. What's your program right now?

You could take a deload week. It's better than just not going to the gym

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If I feel I can push for the final set of an exercise in SS, is it ok to move up weight? I just did 125x5
125x5

and it was easy, looking to go 130 for the final set, see how it feels.

If I feel I can push for the final set of an exercise in SS, is it ok to move up weight? I just did 125x5
125x5

and it was easy, looking to go 130 for the final set, see how it feels.

No, it's not ok. Don't be desperate to move the weights up, trust me, the time will come when the weight will be too heavy to lift. This is about patience and discipline

sphinx

the piano man

lol, you are right now but back then when you suggested it I was doing fine :p haha,

and it's exactly like the bolded, I know that if I force myself to go today, I'll break some PRs somehere cause I try hard enough but then it's just a spiral, I will get weaker and sleepier each passing day untl my CNS is in the trash, it's just a bad plan.

will probably wait until Sunday, the earliest, to go back to it, that will make 4 days...

Are you still on SS? Sounds like Starting Strength towards approaching the first stall. What's your program right now?

BronzeWolf, dear bro, you are going to kill me, I am doing a modified SS.

and i'll leave it at that. suffice it to say I've read SS through and follow it very closely, I swear I don't fuck around, haha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Final stretch of SS. Wanna stick it out, take a week entirely off to get my mind right, then tackle 5/3/1 BBB.

lol, you are right now but back then when you suggested it I was doing fine :p haha,

and it's exactly like the bolded, I know that if I force myself to go today, I'll break some PRs somehere cause I try hard enough but then it's just a spiral, I will get weaker and sleepier each passing day untl my CNS is in the trash, it's just a bad plan.

will probably wait until Sunday, the earliest, to go back to it, that will make 4 days...

Take a full week my friend. Wait till you're DYING to go to the gym at the end of that week - then you'll appreciate it.

My money is on day 4 you'll snap and go!

Alrighty, when do I move up in weight?
The following workout. If you complete 125x3x5 on Friday, you do 135x3x5 on Monday

Final stretch of SS. Wanna stick it out, take a week entirely off to get my mind right, then tackle 5/3/1 BBB.
Take a full week my friend. Wait till you're DYING to go to the gym at the end of that week - then you'll appreciate it.

My money is on day 4 you'll snap and go!
Err. I really strongly suggest you take an intensive reset:

INTENSIVE RESET
Do only warmups, and quit there for the day

Do this only for the squat and the Deadlift, bench and OHP are low volume enough to not affect your recovery. A whole week of doing nothing is a lot of time for rest and doing an intensive reset should actually make you feel better instead of just not showing up.

I have been where you guys are. In fact, after one of my lifts, I couldn't sleep for 36 hours straight due to fatigue. Crazy

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The following workout. If you complete 125x3x5 on Friday, you do 135x3x5 on Monday

Do this only for the squat and the Deadlift, bench and OHP are low volume enough to not affect your recovery. A whole week of doing nothing is a lot of time for rest and doing an intensive reset should actually make you feel better instead of just not showing up.

I have been where you guys are. In fact, after one of my lifts, I couldn't sleep for 36 hours straight due to fatigue. Crazy

Following workout? What if it's too difficult?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I'll do this instead. Warmup sets are so easy to me right now so it'll feel like I have time off without it being off off.

Listen to this man sphinx! He knows more than I do.

Got my washers! time to microload! Got them weighted at my lab's precision scale:

1. 260gr +-1gr (0.57lb)
2. 284gr +-1gr (0.62lb)
3. 257gr +-1gr (0.56lb)
4. 275gr +-1gr (0.60lb)
----------------------------------
Total = 1076gr +-4gr (2.37lb)

I will be using them today for my OHP. I did 130x3x5 real easy on monday, but 135x3x5 is my PR, so I will just do 132.5lb today and I am sure 135 will be a breeze next week.

Cudder

I took this whole week off (well, almost. Still had my chest/tri workout on Monday). But I'll be back in the gym on Monday ready to tear shit up. Taking some time off really helps if you're having motivational issues. It won't be long until you're dying to get back in the gym.

Cudder

how often do you guys have a week off/give a muscle group a rest for a week?

every 2 months? 3 months??

Usually every 3-4 months or so. I mostly don't do it unless something (work related, traveling, etc) throws my workout schedule out of whack. I'm a creature of habit, and if something breaks my habit and forces me to workout at weird times (for me) or miss my workouts or something like that, I'll likely just throw the whole week out the window and start again the next week when everything is back to normal.

sphinx

the piano man
I understand the usefulness of taking time off but my mind keeps bugging me with thoughts like.. "...you are already late to the party starting this being 34 to go and take your time, your are not getting younger"...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I understand the usefulness of taking time off but my mind keeps bugging me with thoughts like.. "...you are already late to the party starting this being 34 to go and take your time, your are not getting younger"...

Fuck off with that talk! Why if you were in my area I'd give you a good shaking! Dammit Sphinx just listen to your peers THAT IS HOW SCIENCE WORKS!

I love bulking. I really do. It feels so amazing. Yesterday I had 2 Five Guys Burgers and an order of fries. Then came home and had steak and potatoes. I feel fucking fantastic. Water weight and retention and all that, but I'm in at 240 lbs today. And I look leaner than I did @ 240 in March. 255/260, I'm comin' for you sucka!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love bulking. I really do. It feels so amazing. Yesterday I had 2 Five Guys Burgers and an order of fries. Then came home and had steak and potatoes. I feel fucking fantastic. Water weight and retention and all that, but I'm in at 240 lbs today. And I look leaner than I did @ 240 in March. 255/260, I'm comin' for you sucka!

...this keto cut is going on far too long, and I've only been back at it a week. God damn you FE.

...this keto cut is going on far too long, and I've only been back at it a week. God damn you FE.

Best part is my strength is shooting back up. I got my PRs on a cut. I can't wait to see what I can do when eating at a surplus. I know I can get a 1RM of 500lbs on a deadlift. I KNOW IT.

CMON SUNNY. DO IT FOR GWF.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best part is my strength is shooting back up. I got my PRs on a cut. I can't wait to see what I can do when eating at a surplus. I know I can get a 1RM of 500lbs on a deadlift. I KNOW IT.

CMON SUNNY. DO IT FOR GWF.

the cut? still doing it.

bulk later, not dirty :( all I wanted to do was dirty bulk but I last about 2 days then FREAK OUT FREAK OUT back to keto to undo the damage.

Keto 4 life :(

I'm sitting here drinking a protein shake on campus and was just thinking "fuck, I'm still hungry." Gonna eat a bunch of peanuts and dried fruit between now and when I can get home and damn I cannot wait. Tonight is grill night. ~4 lbs of homemade burgers and 2 lbs of brats to last me for the weekend; already made the chicken last night. Got some zucchini marinating in the fridge too. Tonight is gonna be a good eating night. mmm.

Do any of you eat eggs raw?

Thinking about mixing in raw eggs with my protein shakes. Good idea?

lol i literally posted about this yesterday a page or two back. throw them in smoothies and shakes. egg whites work too if you aren't feeling raw yolks, you can't really taste them if you're blending something that's got flavor. i'm also eating them raw whisked up with a little bit of water or milk mixed in.

Cudder

Sooo about to order one of those Inzer lever belts. Do the sizes correspond to waist size? For example, I'm a 32-34 size waist, so would I get a Medium size? Just want to make sure I pick the right one. If anyone who owns one can chime in that would be great.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Wow, I am 5'10.5" and if I get down to 160 I look like I'm dying. I guess I have those proverbial "big bones".

Haha, I wish I had your frame. I've always been really thin, as evidenced by my wrists and ankles.

TheJerit

I'm sitting here drinking a protein shake on campus and was just thinking "fuck, I'm still hungry." Gonna eat a bunch of peanuts and dried fruit between now and when I can get home and damn I cannot wait. Tonight is grill night. ~4 lbs of homemade burgers and 2 lbs of brats to last me for the weekend; already made the chicken last night. Got some zucchini marinating in the fridge too. Tonight is gonna be a good eating night. mmm.

MMmmm when can I come over???! haha

hqdefault.jpg

Wife and I are cooking up some bacon-wrapped fillet mignots and shrimp. A lil surf and turf action. and then a sometin sometin ;p

Kabuto

so I did power cleans for the first time yesterday and I love them. It felt so good to jump after I did them; felt like I was flying hahah.

I also want to change my workout routine to only do compound workouts. Should I still do individual muscles days (chest/tricep, bicep/back, etc.) or is it okay to just do any combination of compound workouts?

deadbeef

Sooo about to order one of those Inzer lever belts. Do the sizes correspond to waist size? For example, I'm a 32-34 size waist, so would I get a Medium size? Just want to make sure I pick the right one. If anyone who owns one can chime in that would be great.

I think they have sizing information on their website

Cudder

I think they have sizing information on their website

They don't have a belt section in their sizing info popup. They only have the numbers next to the sizes when you order. Medium (30-33) which I'm guessing refers to waist size? I'm about a 32 on waist so Medium sounds about right for me. Just wanted to make sure.

They don't have a belt section in their sizing info popup. They only have the numbers next to the sizes when you order. Medium (30-33) which I'm guessing refers to waist size? I'm about a 32 on waist so Medium sounds about right for me. Just wanted to make sure.

Measure around where you are going to wear the belt. SHould be about the same as your waist but just make sure.

deadbeef

Oh I didn't realize that. Sounds like they have a decent sized range on them. I guess I'd try and land in the middle or something. Googling tells me the actual range in the sizing is a bit bigger than what's listed (must be the optimal range), so you'll probably be okay. Yeah seems like waist size in inches

Cudder

Measure around where you are going to wear the belt. SHould be about the same as your waist but just make sure.

Oh I didn't realize that. Sounds like they have a decent sized range on them. I guess I'd try and land in the middle or something. Googling tells me the actual range in the sizing is a bit bigger than what's listed (must be the optimal range), so you'll probably be okay. Yeah seems like waist size in inches

Thanks, I'll order the medium one.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Out of town in the bay area this weekend and hitting my brother-in-laws gym tomorrow. Kinda looking forward to it. It's back day so I'll show these mofos what's up with some 110lb pull ups!

Is fish oil worth it if i eat half a pound of fish a day? I eat salmon half the time, other 50% split between swai and tilapia. Like do i get enough from that half pound or is it totally unrelated?

abuC

Do you guys have any go to workouts for bulking up your abs?

What are you gaining from this?

I'm doing ultimate diet 2.0, I eat really low carbs for 5 days of the week, 1 day around maintenance and another where I carb up. I'm shedding body fat and retaining muscle mass, it's difficult because there's a workout that goes a long with it that is designed to drain glycogen levels in your muscles.

Also, by low carbs I had no more than 50 a day from Monday until Thursday night, and had 2 high volume workouts and 1 workout with moderately heavy weights. Plus I did some cardio (played basketball), needless to say the body fat is flying off me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing ultimate diet 2.0, I eat really low carbs for 5 days of the week, 1 day around maintenance and another where I carb up. I'm shedding body fat and retaining muscle mass, it's difficult because there's a workout that goes a long with it that is designed to drain glycogen levels in your muscles.

Also, by low carbs I had no more than 50 a day from Monday until Thursday night, and had 2 high volume workouts and 1 workout with moderately heavy weights. Plus I did some cardio (played basketball), needless to say the body fat is flying off me.

Fuck. You're tempting me. How good is it for beginners/almost intermediate? Or is it for intermediate/advanced levels?

abuC

Fuck. You're tempting me. How good is it for beginners/almost intermediate? Or is it for intermediate/advanced levels?

Lyle says the diet is for people at 15% body fat trying to go lower, I started at 16%.

The workouts themselves aren't really that hard if you've done some volume workouts in the past, I had done 2 months of GVT so the 6x15 days don't bother me all that much. There are days where you wake up feeling like complete shit though, and you wonder how you're going to get through a workout.

Mon-Tues - 60% 1 rep max 6 sets x 15 reps
Thursday - 85% 1 rep max 3-4 sets 6-10 reps
Saturday - Max out

On those first 3 workout days I averaged around 1600 calories and 45g of carbs (220-240g protein), my maintenance is 3400 calories so you can imagine how bad I feel towards the end of the workouts.

But, on Thursday night you can start the glorious carb up. If you can keep your hunger pangs under control I'd say it's definitely worth it, last week was my first tension workout and it went awful, but yesterday it was pretty good.

deadbeef

Lyle says the diet is for people at 15% body fat trying to go lower, I started at 16%.

The workouts themselves aren't really that hard if you've done some volume workouts in the past, I had done 2 months of GVT so the 6x15 days don't bother me all that much. There are days where you wake up feeling like complete shit though, and you wonder how you're going to get through a workout.

Mon-Tues - 60% 1 rep max 6 sets x 15 reps
Thursday - 85% 1 rep max 3-4 sets 6-10 reps
Saturday - Max out

On those first 3 workout days I averaged around 1600 calories and 45g of carbs (220-240g protein), my maintenance is 3400 calories so you can imagine how bad I feel towards the end of the workouts.

But, on Thursday night you can start the glorious carb up. If you can keep your hunger pangs under control I'd say it's definitely worth it, last week was my first tension workout and it went awful, but yesterday it was pretty good.

Using ephedrine (if you can tolerate it) makes dealing with the hunger pangs much easier.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Woo, Today's workout complete. I didn't know if I would make it through the week. I've been helping my cousin repaint, refloor, and fully furnish his new room and it's been a bunch of manual labor. But now the weekend rest is upon me.

I think on Monday I will finally be deadlifting more than I squat. I've been doing equal gains for both since I started. But I'll move up to 110lb Deadlifts and 105lb Squats next week. Bench is gonna move up to 90lb.

I actually really enjoy working out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom