• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you guys. A couple months ago I injured my left shoulder when learning squats due to inflexibility and bad form. I've taken a week off here and there hoping it would be 100%. I still have dull pains in the shoulder when squatting and doing pullups. Is it time to see a doctor? What kind of doctor would I see and what is the usual cost?

Cudder

Getting a meal plan from an expert tomorrow, but before I get it I'd like to know something, what is a good breakfast for someone who wants to gain mass and weighs 70kg?

EDIT: If I was to add 5-10lbs of muscle, how long would that take? Are there good pictures to show a transformation of it?

years.

Cudder

Placed an order for an Inzer lever belt, but got the wrong colour, fuck! Will call them in the morning to switch it over.

PKrockin

Why are pull ups so much damn fun?

So much more satisfying than bent over rows or any other inadequate substitute exercise. And yet I can't do them because I have no gym, no strong door frames, and no space for equipment. ;-;

Mark1

How long would you normally rest between pull up sets? I can do 8/9 on the first set, then I wait a while to find I can only do 5 reps.

Also is it normal if my Power Cleans are really light? I can only add 10kg, however I'm not sure what the weight of the barbell is by itself. It's not one of the really light beginner ones.

I also find when lifting the weights to my shoulders in the exercise, I'm doing it slowly, does it matter?

Noema

Nahhhhh, DL should be waaaaay more taxing than OHP.

Deads are a huge strain on the central nervous system. OHP are tough, but his deads deads are definitely harder ;)

I'd personally do OHP first, since OHP will probably not have much of an impact on my deadlifts, but my deadlifts would probably have a larger impact on my OHP.

How long would you normally rest between pull up sets? I can do 8/9 on the first set, then I wait a while to find I can only do 5 reps.

I usually do 5 sets of 10-12 on Fridays. By the end I need to rest up to 7 minutes before the last set in order to hit all my reps. Rest as long as you need; the important thing is that you hit your reps.

I also find when lifting the weights to my shoulders in the exercise, I'm doing it slowly, does it matter?

Yes, it does matter. You can't do 'slow' Power Cleans. Power Cleans are explosive by nature. You are not doing Power Cleans, you are doing reverse curls.

The bar should travel from the floor to the rack position (on your shoulders) in one fast, explosive motion.

2 weeks into the Magnusson/Ortmayer Deadlift routine. So far, so good. Just continuing to eat and go on. I was told that week 3 is when shit starts to get going. Hopefully I can keep up the level of intensity in all my lifts. Time to get straps to kick up my trap training.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XOUD5K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I believe those are the best ones to get.

Also on "clean eating vs dirty eating"

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
http://www.jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

eat eat eat

Necrovex

Food question for y'all. Going to Publix in a few minutes to restock on breakfast. I usually pick up Mini Wheats, Rasin Bran, and Special K Honey and Oats. A quick google search told me that "Fiber One Apple Cinnamon Buns" are tasty and healthy, and "Optimum Blueberries" is a good cereal. I know breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. I want to make sure I grab the right things. Any thoughts on those google results, and any food advice for someone who typically only has 25 minutes to eat breakfast in the morning?

Food question for y'all. Going to Publix in a few minutes to restock on breakfast. I usually pick up Mini Wheats, Rasin Bran, and Special K Honey and Oats. A quick google search told me that "Fiber One Apple Cinnamon Buns" are tasty and healthy, and "Optimum Blueberries" is a good cereal. I know breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. I want to make sure I grab the right things. Any thoughts on those google results, and any food advice for someone who typically only has 25 minutes to eat breakfast in the morning?

Never had the last two, but I highly recommend you look into "old-fashioned" oatmeal. There is also the "quick oats" variety, but they got through an extra step or two of processing. Don't worry about "steel-cut," it isn't significantly better for you than old-fashioned (or even quick oats probably) but takes a lot more time and effort to prepare.

It only takes 6 minutes to make "old-fashioned" oatmeal in the microwave, including prep time and cooking time. I would consider it much healthier for you than any of the super processed, highly sugar-added cereals you're eating. Here's what I do with my oatmeal:

-1 cup dry oats
-1 cup milk
-Microwave on medium for 3-4 mintues (depending on your microwave)
-Dash of cinnamon
-Drop of vanilla extract
-Any fruit you have on hand (I like cold strawberries, blueberries, or bananas).
-If you are into protein powder, unflavored or vanilla flavored is very good in this, you can easily mix in a half or full scoop.
-My favorite way to eat this though is with a bit of yogurt; I take one little 6 oz carton of yogurt and spoon some on top with each bite of oatmeal.

Anyway, with or without the yogurt, I assure you it's much healthier overall than any cold cereal you're eating. Should have more fiber, less added sugar, more protein, cost less, and taste better. If it's not sweet enough for you, you can always add your own sugar, but it really isn't necessary if you have fruit in there.

Sorry if that's a bit off-topic and a bit late (since I'm guessing you're already doing your grocery shopping), but there's my recommendation for a quick/healthy breakfast.

sphinx

the piano man
I wouldn't say years, plural, but 10lbs is a pretty decent one-year goal for a complete novice imho as they have such an easy time adding on mass in the beginning.

Agreed, 6.6 lbs of pure muscle in a year is absolutely doable, in fact, that's just an "o.k" goal, not the best you can do.

great read thansk for sharing.

I believe that if you go to failure you shouldn't have a dropoff of more than 2 reps per consecutive set, or you're not resting enough. If you stop short of failure you should be able to hit the same numers for at least a couple of sets. I think I rest about 5 minutes, maybe more.

Soka said:
Sorry if that's a bit off-topic and a bit late (since I'm guessing you're already doing your grocery shopping), but there's my recommendation for a quick/healthy breakfast.

Don't see how food info/recipes can be off-topic since it's basically half the battle in fitness. :) Besides, I'm always interested in how people get their cals.

Necrovex

Never had the last two, but I highly recommend you look into "old-fashioned" oatmeal. There is also the "quick oats" variety, but they got through an extra step or two of processing. Don't worry about "steel-cut," it isn't significantly better for you than old-fashioned (or even quick oats probably) but takes a lot more time and effort to prepare.

It only takes 6 minutes to make "old-fashioned" oatmeal in the microwave, including prep time and cooking time. I would consider it much healthier for you than any of the super processed, highly sugar-added cereals you're eating. Here's what I do with my oatmeal:

-1 cup dry oats
-1 cup milk
-Microwave on medium for 3-4 mintues (depending on your microwave)
-Dash of cinnamon
-Drop of vanilla extract
-Any fruit you have on hand (I like cold strawberries, blueberries, or bananas).
-If you are into protein powder, unflavored or vanilla flavored is very good in this, you can easily mix in a half or full scoop.
-My favorite way to eat this though is with a bit of yogurt; I take one little 6 oz carton of yogurt and spoon some on top with each bite of oatmeal.

Anyway, with or without the yogurt, I assure you it's much healthier overall than any cold cereal you're eating. Should have more fiber, less added sugar, more protein, cost less, and taste better. If it's not sweet enough for you, you can always add your own sugar, but it really isn't necessary if you have fruit in there.

Just got home, but I'll save this post on a word file for future reference. Any yogurt in particular you would recommend?

I really appreciate the in depth post!

Edit: I have only begun how to cook, so getting healthy recipes from people, especially when it is easy to make, is invaluable. Trying to get some decent skills before getting a full time position and leave my parents' place.

I tried deadlifts for the first time the other day.

Is it normal for hamstrings, abs, lats, upper back and traps to be sore? Been a while since i've had this kind of soreness... I like it :)

I dunno, there was this t-nation article suggesting that you had an easier time building muscle at a 10% bodyfat percentage than at a 15-16% one.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

jdavid should still work-out though while trying to lose fat.

Perfect timing. I was about to go back to IF diet next month. I just did a month and 1/2 of bulking but I feel fat already.

I think I'll try gradual weight loss then maintain

Exis

Perfect timing. I was about to go back to IF diet next month. I just did a month and 1/2 of bulking but I feel fat already.

I think I'll try gradual weight loss then maintain

What type of IF are you doing? Leangains is working well for me. Every time I try for something else and go for 24 hours I end up only making it about 20 hours before I want to kill something.

Don't see how food info/recipes can be off-topic since it's basically half the battle in fitness. :) Besides, I'm always interested in how people get their cals.

Good points!

Just got home, but I'll save this post on a word file for future reference. Any yogurt in particular you would recommend?

I really appreciate the in depth post!

Edit: I have only begun how to cook, so getting healthy recipes from people, especially when it is easy to make, is invaluable. Trying to get some decent skills before getting a full time position and leave my parents' place.

I recommend a fruit-flavored yogurt. Plain yogurt is generally pretty bitter and most people only like it with fruit or other flavors mixed into it. I'd avoid coffee-flavored or any of those weird flavors... kind of strange in oatmeal in my experience. I like basically any fruit-flavor in there though, I'd just pick the fruit you like the most and try that first.

Keep in mind there are also different types of yogurt: regular (usually made with 2% or whole milk in addition to sugar/high fructose corn syrup), light (usually made with skim milk and artificial sweeteners), and Greek (usually made with skim milk, sugar, but is much thicker than regular/light yogurt in addition to having 2x as much protein). So, if you want the lowest-calories option, that'd be light yogurts. If you want a smooth consistency and aren't worried about low calorie or low carb, then regular yogurt is what you'd want; regular yogurt is often called "Original" or "Fruit on the Bottom". Finally, if you're out for the highest amount of protein per oz of yogurt, then Greek is your best choice.

I usually just buy what's cheapest, but since I'm trying to increase my protein intake, I tend to prefer whatever brand of Greek-style is on sale that week. They run about $1.00/6 oz container, but Sunday ads, store specials, and online coupons can drop them down to $0.75/ea fairly regularly. Non-Greek yogurt runs closer to $0.60/ea without any coupons/sales. Brand-wise, I don't really have a preference, but Dannon and Yoplait are both fine, with Stonyfield or Chobani being similar but a bit more expensive in my experience. If you find yourself going through a lot of yogurt, sometimes the large tubs (~4 cups in each I believe) are cheaper per oz, but you're limited to only a few flavors that come in that size.

Teggy

Careful with fruit yogurt, there's a ton of sugar in it. What I've been doing is getting the large cup of Chobani fat free and just mixing in some fresh blueberries. Overall it's about 24g protein and 13g of carbs per serving. The regular Chobani blueberry is 20g carbs for a smaller amount of yogurt and non-greek brands will probably have even more sugar.

What type of IF are you doing? Leangains is working well for me. Every time I try for something else and go for 24 hours I end up only making it about 20 hours before I want to kill something.

oh no. Leangains did well for me. I got up to 127 then I started bulking up. After 1 month and a 1/2 I got up 135, and I'm guessing that's 5-6 pounds of fat.
So next month I'll try and shave off that fat then not go crazy in bulking (ICE CREAM)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh wowzers. Hi rep deadlifts are no joke. I'm exhausted.

225x15
255x12
285x10
315x8
345x6

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Tried enabling Coot-mode today.

Did weighted pullups with a mining belt and some chain, belt n chain were ~5-6lbs, used my bumpers. Really felt it on the hips had to loosen the belt up...

50x5
72x5
83x5
72x5
50x12
50x6

Gonna cook these big ass top sirloin steaks now

Cooter

Tried enabling Coot-mode today.

Did weighted pullups with a mining belt and some chain, belt n chain were ~5-6lbs, used my bumpers. Really felt it on the hips had to loosen the belt up...

50x5
72x5
83x5
72x5
50x12
50x6

Gonna cook these big ass top sirloin steaks now
Coot mode fully enabled. Damn you are a mini Hulk MTP!

noquarter

Been doing a little bit of lurking in here and saw that someone was looking for a deal on protein whey. Amazon has a coupon for 20% off Bodyfortress stuff right now. Brings the two packs down to about $24 (4lbs~) with Prime.

_Isaac

Question for you guys. A couple months ago I injured my left shoulder when learning squats due to inflexibility and bad form. I've taken a week off here and there hoping it would be 100%. I still have dull pains in the shoulder when squatting and doing pullups. Is it time to see a doctor? What kind of doctor would I see and what is the usual cost?

I guess I've had a similar experience. I hurt my shoulder probably around February. It might have been me practicing dumbbell bench press, but I'm not quite sure. I've also taken a week off here and there, but even now, I can't really do any arm related exercises like a press or a pull up. I saw my general doctor and told him about it. At first we tried just regular rest, but that hasn't done much. We then got x-rays, but that didn't show anything. Now, he set me up with an orthopedic doctor for this Thursday, and we'll see how that goes. If it's really stopping you from doing your routine correctly like it has been for me, I'd say it's time to go to your general doctor at least and ask him about it. Especially since it's been a few months already. I don't know what the full cost is though since I have insurance. I do have to pay a 20 dollar copay each time.

despire

We were at my GF's summer house this weekend so being strict with my diet break macros was hard. Since I wasn't dieting per se, I indulged perhaps a bit too much on cookies and ice cream.

And boom, 6lbs heavier this morning. I just hope most of it is water and other random crap and not fat :(

Cooter

I finally met and had a conversation with the guy who gave me a fist bump after my successful 45lb muscle up. Nice guy. He would fit in well around here. Does mostly compounds and understands nutrition. He was telling me about how he can't get anyany more fat off his midsection. He's been to two nutritionist and they both gave him different advice. It dawned on me then that I really dislike giving advice on someones diet. I stick to what works for me and stray away from offering anyone personal help. It's too easy to come off as a snob and lacking compassion. Prefer to avoid it.

I mentioned how well IF has treated me. I've had 8 solid months of strength gains all while maintaining my desired bf% and weight. I credit the change in my eating patterns for the progress. Everything else remained constant so what else can it be?

Noema

So here's a question, do you guys think Frank Yang is on something?

Watching this video it's simply amazing how he got so huge so fast (he looks positively swole at the 7 minute mark; his traps and delts particularly stand out) without really gaining a ton of fat, and then got shredded without losing a ton of muscle.

I really like Frank's videos, and I wouldn't really care either way if he's on something or not, since he's not really a guru or fitness icon who's banking on his being 'natural' getting sponsorships and stuff; he's more of a visual artist who happens to use his body and bodybuilding culture as props, so if he's enhanced in any way doesn't really matter. Maybe he's just got great genetics. After all at one point he was squatting 405lb and Deadlifting 500lb at 140lb BW. So this is not about trying to pass judgement on him; it's more about curiosity, and it'd be nice to hear some opinions.

abuC

My willpower is going to be tested big time this week, my brother in laws grandmother is on vacation with us and she cooks some delicious Puerto Rican meals.

I have no idea if Yang is on anything. Wouldn't surprise me either way. Dood is enjoying his life, that is for sure. Defeated those Asian genetics.

Watching this video it's simply amazing how he got so huge so fast (he looks positively swole at the 7 minute mark; his traps and delts particularly stand out) without really gaining a ton of fat, and then got shredded without losing a ton of muscle.

I really like Frank's videos, and I wouldn't really care either way if he's on something or not, since he's not really a guru or fitness icon who's banking on his being 'natural' getting sponsorships and stuff; he's more of a visual artist who happens to use his body and bodybuilding culture as props, so if he's enhanced in any way doesn't really matter. Maybe he's just got great genetics. After all at one point he was squatting 405lb and Deadlifting 500lb at 140lb BW. So this is not about trying to pass judgement on him; it's more about curiosity, and it'd be nice to hear some opinions.

Holy fuck what did I just watch??

i want some more

If I ever did vids, I would be like Yang. Just have fun and lift. Not claim to be a guru or anything. Document my eating habits and all that.

No BBC though.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I think the conventional wisdom is that that's an indicator of anabolics use, due to the higher density of androgen receptors in those muscles.

For me, there is no evidence that he is not natural.

1. His body looks like it can be attained naturally. He is not overly big and is hovering at a quite easily maintainable bodyfat percentage for someone naturally skinny.

2. His transformation has come over years and not months.

3. He is built of ridiculous fast twitch muscle fibres which have the most potential to get big and strong.

4. He has the ability to eat a ridiculous amount of calories over an extended period of time.

5. He trains with extreme intensity and clearly knows what he is doing and how to accomplish his goals.

despire

There's a sale on strengthvillain.com, 30% off of all ebooks with a code "SVEBOOKS30".

http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks

Greyskull LP 2nd Edition is great book and an obvious choice for all the advanced novices in the thread who might want to take the next step from SS without moving on to a full blown intermediate program like 5/3/1. The powerbuilding book is also pretty good, albeit short, if anyone's interested.

All the books of the "Twelve weeks at Greyskull" -series are a bit useless in my opinion (I've bought one I think). Haven't read the Gladiator or the conditioning books so don't know about them. Drop the Fat/Panties isn't quite as good as I'd hope it would've been, not worth it imo.

Nelo Ice

Banned
There's a sale on strengthvillain.com, 30% off of all ebooks with a code "SVEBOOKS30".

http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks

Greyskull LP 2nd Edition is great book and an obvious choice for all the advanced novices in the thread who might want to take the next step from SS without moving on to a full blown intermediate program like 5/3/1. The powerbuilding book is also pretty good, albeit short, if anyone's interested.

All the books of the "Twelve weeks at Greyskull" -series are a bit useless in my opinion (I've bought one I think). Haven't read the Gladiator or the conditioning books so don't know about them. Drop the Fat/Panties isn't quite as good as I'd hope it would've been, not worth it imo.

Speaking of Greyskull I'm still not sure if I should start that tomorrow or do Greyskull, granted I need to figure out how Greyskull works.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78079153&postcount=1184

For that SS routine I'm guessing I'm gonna need to deload to do the 3x15 for week 2 and I move up in weight as usual for everything else? And I'm guessing start with the bar for front squats. Also my friend looked at it and said it was good but recommended instead of deadlifts every other week I should do them every week for 3x5 and take as much time as I need in between sets and skip power cleans.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man, I faltered hardcore from my diet for the first time in a long time today. Had seven thin-crust pepperoni pizza slices. :(

despire

Speaking of Greyskull I'm still not sure if I should start that tomorrow or do Greyskull, granted I need to figure out how Greyskull works.

Shit, apparently the writeup for GSLP wasn't in the last OT for some reason. I found it in the OT4. Here it is:

The issues, for some people, with most linear progression programs are normally:
Resetting isn’t fun
Too much volume
Little room for accessory work
Squatting is done first.

The Greyskull LP fixes these issues by doing a few slight modifications. The basic layout of the program is:

Day 1:
Bench/Overhead Press for 2x5 then 1xAMRAP (2.5 lbs heavier than the last time you did the lift)
Squat for 2x5 then 1xAMRAP (5lbs heavier than the last time you did the lift)

Day 2:
Bench/Overhead Press for 2x5 then 1xAMRAP (2.5lbs heavier than the last time you did the lift)
Deadlift 1xAMRAP (5lbs heavier than the last time you did the lift)

Day 3:
Same as day one

AMRAP=As Many Reps As Possible

Your goal on your last set is to push as much as possible. If you can get out 10 reps, great! If you can only push out the 5, that's awesome too!

This program solves the above issues:
Resetting will always be fun since, if you’re tracking your progress, you’ll be able to set rep records on previous reps. Instead of feeling salty that you have to do the same weight again, you can get hyped that you can aim to do the last rep for 10 instead of for 8.

Squatting 3 times a week, especially on the same day you’re going for a new max on your deadlift, is a lot on your body. This really will start coming into play when you're hitting your true 5 rep max. Squatting only twice a week is still gonna add 10 pounds to your 5 rep squat work a week. That's 40lbs a month or 480lbs a year. You’re NOT gonna be able to go up 480 pounds on a squat in a year unless your start at zero pounds. This adds more longevity to the program than squatting 3x a week. Same goes for starting out with less increases. 5lbs a week on your dead puts you at 240 more lbs on your dead, per year. Once your dead starts getting up in numbers, adding 240 is going to take switching programs.

Doing only two lifts a day leaves plenty of room for whatever you want. Wanna do curls in-between the lifts? Sure. Pull ups? Sure. Shrugs at the end? Whatever. Don't over train, but the two lifts and their spacing makes doing a little accessory work possible.

Squatting sucks. I mean, it’s a great lift, but it takes a lot out of you. Squatting really heavy is exhausting. Having to follow that up with a heavy press or bench is a nightmare. However, while a heavy bench or press is taxing, going from the presses to the squat still is less effort than the reverse.

I've heard good things about this program and I agree, should be in the OP as well. A few others as well. I would put these in the intermediate category.

Also here's the one possible template I was talking about. It also explains the program pretty well:
OUcEY.png

Imm0rt4l

It's hard to say because he's very trollish/deceptive. I don't even think 140 was his natural walking around body weight, he dieted down to that iirc. So if he went from nearly starving himself to eating a lot I could see a 25 lb fluctuation happen realistically.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Shit, apparently the writeup for GSLP wasn't in the last OT for some reason. I found it in the OT4. Here it is:

Also here's the one possible template I was talking about. It also explains the program pretty well:
OUcEY.png
Hmm thx i like the sound of it. Squatting heavy espcially at 205+ lbs saps me of so much energy. Usually takes me at least 10 mins in between sets.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1184

For that SS routine I'm guessing I'm gonna need to deload to do the 3x15 for week 2 and I move up in weight as usual for everything else? And I'm guessing start with the bar for front squats. Also my friend looked at it and said it was good but recommended instead of deadlifts every other week I should do them every week for 3x5 and take as much time as I need in between sets and skip power cleans.

A few points:
- Pretty sure that 3x15 is a typo by Bronze and it's meant to be 3x5.

- Don't start with the bar for front squats, experiment and find a comfortable starting weight then progress from there.

- If a program has a certain lift being done infrequently or for low volume it's usually for a reason. The main goal of something like the advanced novice program is to eke out the last bits of quicker progress for your squat. Going from one set of 5 deadlifts a fortnight to 6 is a pretty big variation from the program that may impede the progress of your squat. Texas Method is another intermediate program with squatting 3x a week that limits deadlifts to 1x5 a week. That said, you should feel free to experiment with these things. Take a look at some of the programs on this page to get an idea of what you should be aiming for.

sphinx

the piano man

yeah this guy on something.

he is on a roll of unendless awesomeness and badassery,

the motherfucker plays the violin, so fucking boss.

I can't say whether he is on something or not with my untrained eyes, but anyone who plays a classic instrument with some proficiency knows very damn well the meaning of the words discipline and consistency.

He has that on his side. and seeing how he eats, I would think he has attained his body naturally,

Nelo Ice

Banned
A few points:
- Pretty sure that 3x15 is a typo by Bronze and it's meant to be 3x5.

- Don't start with the bar for front squats, experiment and find a comfortable starting weight then progress from there.

- If a program has a certain lift being done infrequently or for low volume it's usually for a reason. The main goal of something like the advanced novice program is to eke out the last bits of quicker progress for your squat. Going from one set of 5 deadlifts a fortnight to 6 is a pretty big variation from the program that may impede the progress of your squat. Texas Method is another intermediate program with squatting 3x a week that limits deadlifts to 1x5 a week. That said, you should feel free to experiment with these things. Take a look at some of the programs on this page to get an idea of what you should be aiming for.
Thanks, When I was looking up this stuff i came across that link. Will def read more into it since there's so many diff programs I could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom