• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

Hmm thx i like the sound of it. Squatting heavy espcially at 205+ lbs saps me of so much energy. Usually takes me at least 10 mins in between sets.

I like GSLP because it makes deloads fun. It no longer feels like a punishment and going for rep PR's in the last set is fun. It also adds a little periods of hypertrophy because of the higher number of reps you will be able to do for a few weeks after deloading.

Imm0rt4l

I wish there was a metroflex here in las vegas. I just learned today that they have a camcorder and a monitor at the deadlift platform with a time delay so that you can watch yourself. That's pretty dope.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I like GSLP because it makes deloads fun. It no longer feels like a punishment and going for rep PR's in the last set is fun. It also adds a little periods of hypertrophy because of the higher number of reps you will be able to do for a few weeks after deloading.
So when would I deload and how much? Also ao for AMRAP the last set is the weight I was doing for the first 2 but as many reps as i can possibly go right? And for progression I increase every lift day?. And again thanks for the help, only problem I'm having now is which program to do and how to do it correctly lol.

despire

So when would I deload and how much? Also ao for AMRAP the last set is the weight I was doing for the first 2 but as many reps as i can possibly go right? And for progression I increase every lift day?. And again thanks for the help, only problem I'm having now is which program to do and how to do it correctly lol.

Yes, the weight is same for every set just like with SS. The difference is just that with the last set you go all out and get as many reps as you can, whereas with SS you would stop at 5 reps even though you could've done 10. SS is great for beginners but when you know the lifts, I feel that going all out on the last set is great for progress and keeps you motivated, even during a deload. After deloading the first two work sets are practically just heavy warm-ups, with the magic happening in the third set.

You deload when you can't get 5 reps in the last set. With SS you have three tries before you're out but with GSLP you deload after just one failure. It has the benefit of not having you push in to the red for a couple of weeks before finally deloading. Of course if you just had a crappy session for some reason, you might try to get the reps next time if you feel like you can do it.

You increase the weight on the bar every time you lift, yes. The increments are just a bit smaller than many use with SS. Again, this gives you longer progress. Use of fractional plates (washers are cheap) is recommended if your gym doesn't have small enough plates.

If you are interested, I highly recommend getting the book. With the discount it's a bargain. I can also answer any questions you have.

Edit:
Also when you start the program you should start with weights you can do for about 8-10 reps (just guess) and then go from there.

Mark1

Here is the meal plan done up by an expert, taking into account what foods I can take and can't take.

Meal Plan (Template)

Meal 1

8am
1. Water 250ml
2. Scrambled Egg & Toast. 3xEggs, ¼ Cup Cheddar Cheese X2 Slices of Burgen Bread
3. Apple 1 Red Apple

Meal 2

10.30am
1. Water 250ml
2. Milk (Powder) 100g 500ml
3. Almonds 15 x Almonds

Meal 3

12.30pm
1. Water 500ml
2. Tuna Sandwich (Option Chicken) ½ Can of Tuna X2 Burgen Bread ½ Red Pepper Diced Cucumber * *

Meal 4

3pm
1. Water 250ml
2.Greek Yoghurt Cup size
3.Banana

Meal 5

5.30pm
1. Water 500ml
2. Steak or chicken breast with brown rice & vege. (Option Quinoa) 150g/200g Spinach & Cabbage (1/2 cup of each)

Meal 6

8pm
1. Water 250ml
2. Cottage Cheese 150g
3. Beets
4. Milk (Powder) 100g 500ml

Here are the stats to go with it:

Stats

Body Fat : 15%

Lean Muscle Mass: 59KG

Basal Metabolic Rate: 1848 kcal

Training Days: Endurance: Multiply BMR by 1.4 (2587kcal) Strength: Multiply BMR by 1.6 (2956kcal) Non Training Days: Multiply BMR by 1.2 (2217kcal)

Weight Gain: + 500kcal

Weight Loss: - %00kcal

Recommended Water Intake: Non Training Days 2.3 litres / Training Days 2.6 litres

Protein Intake: Non Training Days 162g / Training Days 188g

Carbohydrate Intake: Non Training Days 208g / Training Days 242g

Fat Intake: Non Training Days 41g / Training Days 48g

That all sounds pretty solid actually.
Stick to that plan and let us know how it goes.

There's not even whey protein involved in that plan, pretty impressive.
I'm actually going to go ahead and copy that.

SeanR1221

Here is the meal plan done up by an expert, taking into account what foods I can take and can't take.

Meal Plan (Template)

Meal 1

8am
1. Water 250ml
2. Scrambled Egg & Toast. 3xEggs, ¼ Cup Cheddar Cheese X2 Slices of Burgen Bread
3. Apple 1 Red Apple

Meal 2

10.30am
1. Water 250ml
3. Almonds 15 x Almonds

Meal 3

12.30pm
1. Water 500ml
2. Tuna Sandwich (Option Chicken) ½ Can of Tuna X2 Burgen Bread ½ Red Pepper Diced Cucumber * *

Meal 4

3pm
1. Water 250ml
2.Greek Yoghurt Cup size
3.Banana

Meal 5

5.30pm
1. Water 500ml
2. Steak or chicken breast with brown rice & vege. (Option Quinoa) 150g/200g Spinach & Cabbage (1/2 cup of each)

Meal 6

8pm
1. Water 250ml
2. Cottage Cheese 150g
3. Beets

Stats

Training Days: Endurance: Multiply BMR by 1.4 (2587kcal) Strength: Multiply BMR by 1.6 (2956kcal) Non Training Days: Multiply BMR by 1.2 (2217kcal)

Recommended Water Intake: Non Training Days 2.3 litres / Training Days 2.6 litres

Lacks quest bars :p

Just kidding, looks really solid.

Hi Gaf

Started going to the gym and already lost 5 kgs. Went from 73.5 to 68.5. I'm 1'68 and 30 yo

Is losing weight incompatible to gaining muscle mass?

My body fat is arround 19% and i have fat in my abdomen

I'm trying to gather muscle and strenght in my arms, chest and legs. I'm a beginner in this, just 2 months on the gym. Seems i am a fast loser.

Mark1

My body fat is arround 19% and i have fat in my abdomen

I'm trying to gather muscle and strenght in my arms, chest and legs. I'm a beginner in this, just 2 months on the gym. Seems i am a fast loser.
How tall are you? You seem to be quite light (like I am). I'm not the best at this, but how skinny do you look? You're not a fast loser, joining the gym is a positive thing and you should be proud!

EDIT: Was told to expect a difference after using this diet for 6-8 weeks and the workouts I'm doing. How much should I expect?

Mark1

1'68.

Yeah. Gym feels great. It's one of the best decisions ever.
You're quite light for your EDIT:height, I would talk to trainers at your gym or some users here, they'd probably tell you whether you should build muscle or lose fat first. I would add muscle first personally, but don't take my word for it.

MjFrancis

So here's a question, do you guys think Frank Yang is on something?

Watching this video it's simply amazing how he got so huge so fast (he looks positively swole at the 7 minute mark; his traps and delts particularly stand out) without really gaining a ton of fat, and then got shredded without losing a ton of muscle.

I really like Frank's videos, and I wouldn't really care either way if he's on something or not, since he's not really a guru or fitness icon who's banking on his being 'natural' getting sponsorships and stuff; he's more of a visual artist who happens to use his body and bodybuilding culture as props, so if he's enhanced in any way doesn't really matter. Maybe he's just got great genetics. After all at one point he was squatting 405lb and Deadlifting 500lb at 140lb BW. So this is not about trying to pass judgement on him; it's more about curiosity, and it'd be nice to hear some opinions.
When Frank Yang was squatting 405lb and deadlifting 500lb he was closer to 160-170lbs. His cut to 143lbs wasn't even complete until late 2011 or early 2012. Regardless, that muscle memory and previous feats of strength is what separates Frank Yang's legendary bulk from the everyday rabble. He was underweight and simultaneously incredibly fit, taking the Fight Club aesthetic and doing it better than Brad Pitt could have ever hoped to.

From there he was free to eat, train, and reap the rewards of muscle memory and genetics. Ballooning up to 181lbs in such a short time is believable given that he may have been as large in the past couple years anyways. He then continued to bulk until he was at a point a diminishing returns (200 or so pounds?) when he was gaining a bit more fat than muscle. Being able to lift heavier shit to bulk is definitely to his favor. A man with a 205lb squat and a 300lb deadlift would undoubtedly have much less success replicating Frank's results.

Could he have used PEDs? Sure, but given his circumstances they don't seem necessary for his achievements.

I agree with all of muntersaur's points earlier with the added reminder that Frank Yang does not worry about money. However his life is arranged, his wealth allows his to do as he pleases. Without the burden of selling his labor he has the freedom to share his life through the internet and upload amusing videos and thoughts to his heart's content.

2 weeks into the Magnusson/Ortmayer Deadlift routine. So far, so good. Just continuing to eat and go on. I was told that week 3 is when shit starts to get going. Hopefully I can keep up the level of intensity in all my lifts. Time to get straps to kick up my trap training.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XOUD5K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I believe those are the best ones to get.

Also on "clean eating vs dirty eating"

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
http://www.jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

eat eat eat

Why not just get the cheapo $5 straps first and see if they work before dropping 11 times that on the versagrips?

I appear to have recovered from the neck/shoulder pop of death so it's back to action this week. Cut seems to be stagnating with me at 170. Might be time to take a break and eat at maintenance for a bit to kick the hormones back up if I can't break into the 160s this week. Only 2 months left to my cruise and I wanna look GOOOOOOOD.

Teggy

Frank Yang does not worry about money. However his life is arranged, his wealth allows his to do as he pleases. Without the burden of selling his labor he has the freedom to share his life through the internet and upload amusing videos and thoughts to his heart's content.

I'm not familiar with his story - where does his money come from? And did this all start from him wanting to jump really high?

Why not just get the cheapo $5 straps first and see if they work before dropping 11 times that on the versagrips?

I appear to have recovered from the neck/shoulder pop of death so it's back to action this week. Cut seems to be stagnating with me at 170. Might be time to take a break and eat at maintenance for a bit to kick the hormones back up if I can't break into the 160s this week. Only 2 months left to my cruise and I wanna look GOOOOOOOD.

It's in my nature to get the best thing I can buy. I can't help it.

I borrowed one from a buddy of mine. Noticed the difference immediately.

crpav

Anyone have Ulcerative Colitis here? I do and it sucks! Hit with a flare up and goodbye energy, appetite, gains and the ability to basically function as a normal human.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yes, the weight is same for every set just like with SS. The difference is just that with the last set you go all out and get as many reps as you can, whereas with SS you would stop at 5 reps even though you could've done 10. SS is great for beginners but when you know the lifts, I feel that going all out on the last set is great for progress and keeps you motivated, even during a deload. After deloading the first two work sets are practically just heavy warm-ups, with the magic happening in the third set.

You deload when you can't get 5 reps in the last set. With SS you have three tries before you're out but with GSLP you deload after just one failure. It has the benefit of not having you push in to the red for a couple of weeks before finally deloading. Of course if you just had a crappy session for some reason, you might try to get the reps next time if you feel like you can do it.

You increase the weight on the bar every time you lift, yes. The increments are just a bit smaller than many use with SS. Again, this gives you longer progress. Use of fractional plates (washers are cheap) is recommended if your gym doesn't have small enough plates.

If you are interested, I highly recommend getting the book. With the discount it's a bargain. I can also answer any questions you have.

Edit:
Also when you start the program you should start with weights you can do for about 8-10 reps (just guess) and then go from there.
Alright you've convinced me, I'll start greyskull today using Phraks variation.

SeanR1221

my wife wants to start going to the gym with me and have me show her how to workout. Believe me there will be lots of squats involved

Good luck my fiend. My wife is actually at the gym now OHPing.

Update on her if anyone was interested.

2 weeks off birth control and she's already seeing a difference. She finally feels less bloated and I'm noticing her confidence going up.

Imm0rt4l

2 weeks off birth control and she's already seeing a difference. She finally feels less bloated and I'm noticing her confidence going up.

Great news.

not so much for little sean though.

Teggy

Looks like my one year old Golden doesn't have the greatest hips. The vet said the best thing to do is build up the muscles in his hind legs. I'm trying to figure out how I can make him do squats.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like my one year old Golden doesn't have the greatest hips. The vet said the best thing to do is build up the muscles in his hind legs. I'm trying to figure out how I can make him do squats.

"sit"

"up up up"

"sit"

"up up up"

Probably won't work out so well though.

Real talk though, toss a ball up so he jumps to grab it out of the air. Do it often, dogs love play anyway. This might help.

velociraptor

Meal Plan (Template)

Meal 1

8am
1. Water 250ml
3. Apple 1 Red Apple

Meal 2

10.30am
1. Water 250ml
3. Almonds 15 x Almonds

Meal 3

12.30pm
1. Water 500ml

Meal 4

3pm
1. Water 250ml
2.Greek Yoghurt Cup size
3.Banana

Meal 5

5.30pm
1. Water 500ml

Meal 6

8pm
1. Water 250ml
2. Cottage Cheese 150g
3. Beets

Stats

That's not bad although fat intake looks a little low IMO. I would aim for about 60g personally.

A little OT but what are the main side effects of birth control?

Kainazzo

Newbie to adult fitness here: I'm 5'10'' and 155 lbs, and trying to tone down to ~140, same as my cross country weight in high school. I haven't been doing much beyond running miles every day, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Historically I haven't been a big eater, and even now I only eat ~1200-1600 calories per day and feel fine. Despite this, I'm still gaining weight, about 3 lbs in as many weeks. That's fine if it's muscle, but I wasn't aware I could still gain on so few calories. I've been keeping my diet for years, so is my metabolism just that low?

2. I also don't eat many sweets, but since running I've cut them out altogether. I've now started to notice that my urine smells especially sugary, like I was peeing fruit juice or something. Is it just my nose being more sensitive to sugar now, or something else?

Newbie to adult fitness here: I'm 5'10'' and 155 lbs, and trying to tone down to ~140, same as my cross country weight in high school. I haven't been doing much beyond running miles every day, so I have a couple of questions:
63.3 kilograms for a 1.78m guy baffles me, that's too light! Unless you are ripped, yet... :O

1. Historically I haven't been a big eater, and even now I only eat ~1200-1600 calories per day and feel fine. Despite this, I'm still gaining weight, about 3 lbs in as many weeks. That's fine if it's muscle, but I wasn't aware I could still gain on so few calories. I've been keeping my diet for years, so is my metabolism just that low?
It most likely is from muscle adaptation from running. Only you could know if it's muscle or fat.

2. I also don't eat many sweets, but since running I've cut them out altogether. I've now started to notice that my urine smells especially sugary, like I was peeing fruit juice or something. Is it just my nose being more sensitive to sugar now, or something else?
If you are doing cardio and eating low carbohydrates, you are probably in ketosis.

Noema

New Rippetoe article on T-Nation

I love how it's basically a jab at Crossfit. Even the photos:

iXvzXID.jpg

New Rippetoe article on T-Nation

I love how it's basically a jab at Crossfit. Even the photos:

iXvzXID.jpg

My first class of Crossfit had us doing like 6 cleans in a row followed by 10 crunches in rotation endlessly and as fast as we could for 8 minutes.

I never went back.

2ec520676c53b91a11177e6f49cf3cd3.gif

Kainazzo

63.3 kilograms for a 1.78m guy baffles me, that's too light! Unless you are ripped, yet... :O

It most likely is from muscle adaptation from running. Only you could know if it's muscle or fat.

If you are doing cardio and eating low carbohydrates, you are probably in ketosis.

So....bad? I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything, but if I'm potentially doing more harm than good, I'd like to know. A couple of years ago I was 175 with a 38'' waist, when traditionally it was 31''. I'm at 33'' right now. I've always had a light build, so maybe it was just all fat and no muscle?

• 5'10
  • Mix of weight-lifting/cardio 45-60 minutes five days a week, half hour of walking (about a mile) during my lunch period, one day for swimming, one day for absolute rest.

I'm trying to lose weight again. I tried it last year and got from 270 to 243, but then I either hit a plateau or stopped watching what I ate or how much I worked out. I ended up getting twenty pounds back, and now want to shoot for at least 200. I've already lost a couple pounds in a week, but it may just be water weight. I'm cutting out fast food when I can, not doing soda or other sweets, etc.

Assuming protein shakes are more-or-less the same, a Target next door sells containers of the Pure Protein for $19.99, which is a lot cheaper than getting bottles and some other brands. Might get some skim-milk to mix it with and see how that goes.

I've also heard of "supergreen" shakes where instead of protein, they aim to give you several servings of fruit/vegetable vitamins. This sounds attractive to me, because whenever I do buy some fruits and veggies from a store, I end up never eating half of them, and they go bad. Still, not 100% which brand I should use, or if I should even use them to begin with.

I've got a really long road ahead of me, but I'm hoping to stick with it this time.

So....bad? I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything, but if I'm potentially doing more harm than good, I'd like to know. A couple of years ago I was 175 with a 38'' waist, when traditionally it was 31''. I'm at 33'' right now. I've always had a light build, so maybe it was just all fat and no muscle?

On paper you're within a "healthy" range if you hit 140 going by BMI, but I can't say that I'd recommend it. In terms of muscular strength you'll be weak and probably look malnourished.

But dude, fuck what my opinion is if you think you'll feel good and like yourself better at that weight.

Kainazzo

On paper you're within a "healthy" range if you hit 140 going by BMI, but I can't say that I'd recommend it. In terms of muscular strength you'll be weak and probably look malnourished.

But dude, fuck what my opinion is if you think you'll feel good and like yourself better at that weight.

Got it. I guess I'll just keep doing my thing and reevaluate if I start feeling worse. Glad I got the urine thing cleared up too, thanks!

Got it. I guess I'll just keep doing my thing and reevaluate if I start feeling worse. Glad I got the urine thing cleared up too, thanks!

Yeah, in the end, you do you. We all have different opinions. I myself would suggest getting bigger but I'm always saying that.

#teambig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom