• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the criteria to determine whether it is good or safe then? I think all of us are pretty much in the dark if noone publishes report like this.

Of course the more info the better, but a good place to start is the ingredients list. For example take the Muscle Milk product, one of the ones raised as a concern:

musclemilk61udk.png

And a better one (The Solgar)

solgar6wjpr.png

Now compare that to getting some 100% whey powder from a place that lists lab test results and chucking some bananas in for taste. I think it is worth the time to check all this out if you are worried, but I can see different countries might have different rules and standards for what is shown.

ILoveBish

Got all 3 on my deadlifts tonight @ 415lbs. However, as I got the barbell all the way up on my 3rd rep, my left hand gave out and I had to drop the barbell earlier then I usually do. I looked at my hand and it was all torn up. I might be reaching the limit on what in able to hold up at this weight. I'm doing mixed grip, but no straps, chalk or belt, 100% raw. I was hoping to get to 500lbs on deadlift without anything, not sure anymore.

Should I suck it up and get straps/chalk, or do stuff like farmers walks to work on grip?

Faiz

That's ideal but it is not doable for some people.
I'm a bit concerned because I am drinking optimum nutrition golf standard which is listed in the article. Am I being worried for nothing?

Considering what the article actually has to say about Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, YES you are worried for nothing.

Mr.City

Got all 3 on my deadlifts tonight @ 415lbs. However, as I got the barbell all the way up on my 3rd rep, my left hand gave out and I had to drop the barbell earlier then I usually do. I looked at my hand and it was all torn up. I might be reaching the limit on what in able to hold up at this weight. I'm doing mixed grip, but no straps, chalk or belt, 100% raw. I was hoping to get to 500lbs on deadlift without anything, not sure anymore.

Should I suck it up and get straps/chalk, or do stuff like farmers walks to work on grip?
Why no chalk?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

leave the straps, chalk is all you need brah

fair play lifting that without chalk, my sweaty hands can't lift past 250 w/out chalk

J. Bravo

I did 445 without chalk. Suck it up.

Jk, I tore the fuck out of my hand on that 445. Probably wouldn't have with chalk. Might as well use it.

Doing the Layne Norton approach atm.

50 secs light jog/ 10 seconds sprint
48 secs light jog/12 sec sprint
46/14
44/16
42/18
40/20
40/20
42/18
44/16
46/14
48/12
50/10

Doing it on a bike. Fucking tired.

I might add this after shooting hoops tomorrow. What kind of resistance are you setting on the bike?

Pakoe

Me grilling for memorial day. Got quite a bit of compliments when I put this up on instagram. The progress I've made since the start of the new year has been quite considerable. I was thinking about bulking up more, but I'm thinking I'll save that for the fall/winter.

Dat trap.

So busy nowadays at my gym, i have no idea where all these people are coming from. Probably wanting to reach a summerbody in a couple weeks.

Petrie

Banned
Hate being diabetic and having a weak immune system. Get these damn chest colds typically 3-4 times a year that hang around for a week. I know I'm past being contagious so I hit the gym today, but still just felt "off" and couldn't get beyond the 5 reps for my last set of 5's day for deadlifts. Would've loved to have done more beyond some biceps work after but body is dragging. Bleh.

JCX

Dat trap.

So busy nowadays at my gym, i have no idea where all these people are coming from. Probably wanting to reach a summerbody in a couple weeks.

Yeah as soon as it got warm here the free weight area got crowded with people curling.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not sure whether I should hit the gym today. If I do, it's to do some sort of frankenstein workout.

it would be like going to the arcades in the late 80's:

I will go there without a plan, walk around and see the machines, if one looks like fun and safe, I'll use it

hahahah being injured sucks

Why no chalk?

this.

I wouldn't even bother with DLs if I left my liquid chalk at home.

mad props to ILB for going over 400 without it though, I don't want to see the kind of calluses he must have by now.

Go_Ly_Dow

2 weeks outta the groove due to exams, but they're fucking over!

first session back and had no strength decline which was great.

ILoveBish

Why no chalk?

I wanted to push myself as far as possible without any assistance. That's all.

leave the straps, chalk is all you need brah

fair play lifting that without chalk, my sweaty hands can't lift past 250 w/out chalk

I did 445 without chalk. Suck it up.

Jk, I tore the fuck out of my hand on that 445. Probably wouldn't have with chalk. Might as well use it.

OK. Is there a particular brand of chalk everyone uses? Do you use a chalk bag?

It was nice and quiet at the gym for weeks, last night at 1am, 45+ people at the gym again. Sucks.

this.

I wouldn't even bother with DLs if I left my liquid chalk at home.

mad props to ILB for going over 400 without it though, I don't want to see the kind of calluses he must have by now.

Thanks man. Calluses are bad. Which type of liquid chalk are you using? How many uses does a bottle of one get typically?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I only use chalk when I get over 400 el-bees. I try to hold out as long as I can. Same goes for my belt. At 400 I will not wear one but anything over 420 I put it on. I think it gives me a mental boost waiting to put it on at heavier weights and at this point I'll take any advantage I can find!

RoeBear

Found a picture from a year ago. So did a update. I'm 193 in the before shot and 202 in the after shot. Pale as hell...

I'm not flexing in the recent picture at all, but I feel like I am in the older one. Most progress I feel is in my back because I neglected it before. Thing I feel best about though is my posture has improved!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Found a picture from a year ago. So did a update. I'm 193 in the before shot and 202 in the after shot. Pale as hell...

I'm not flexing in the recent picture at all, but I feel like I am in the older one. Most progress I feel is in my back because I neglected it before. Thing I feel best about though is my posture has improved!

God damn you gained 10 pounds and look so much more lean, congrats.

J. Bravo

I only use chalk when I get over 400 el-bees. I try to hold out as long as I can. Same goes for my belt. At 400 I will not wear one but anything over 420 I put it on. I think it gives me a mental boost waiting to put it on at heavier weights and at this point I'll take any advantage I can find!
Same. I don't use mixed grip until 315+. Makes 335 feel easier than 285 lol.

Matugi

Kinda like squatting with no safety bars. The fear of death propels me upwards.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks man. Calluses are bad. Which type of liquid chalk are you using? How many uses does a bottle of one get typically?

I bought one tube from amazon, it was dirt cheap and it lasts for months,

It was like night and day for me, best thing I could have ever done. I was beginning to hate pull-ups and deadlifts because if it was a hot day, my grip would fail almost immediately,

prepare to break some nice PRs, if your raw grip is so strong that you can lift over 400 now then with chalk the bar will feel like a natural extension of your body.

ILoveBish

I bought one tube from amazon, it was dirt cheap and it lasts for months,

It was like night and day for me, best thing I could have ever done. I was beginning to hate pull-ups and deadlifts because if it was a hot day, my grip would fail almost immediately,

prepare to break some nice PRs, if your raw grip is so strong that you can lift over 400 now then with chalk the bar will feel like a natural extension of your body.

I just got normal chalk for now. I look forward to it, wasn't earlier. My grip gives up real quick on pull ups so this should be good.

Sadetar

Looking very good sweetie!

And come on, nothing wrong with being pale.

I received a 3.3 lbs ON strawberry whey and 2 tubes of preworkout from bodybuilding.com meant for someone else and they told me to keep it for free lol

Are preworkouts good?

Pete Rock

I am always starving at 8PM when I have an off day. When it's gym day and I am actually supposed to eat a second phase during that time I am never hungry and it is always a chore. The inputs are exactly the same at the same times, only difference is strength training occurred or did not. It has always been this way.

Is it like this for most people? I would assume so, as I am not really a special snowflake after all. Hmph.

Just finished at the gym. While doing some bech presses a young guy sets up next to me and starts to warm up.

He then looks at what I'm lifting and proceeds to rack up the same amount...plus an extra 2.5kg.

He then goes on to bust out a full set of half-reps.

Come on son.

Leeness

Okay boys and girls. I need y'all to motivate me! I've got three months to drop 15-20 lbs and stop being such a cow.

http://i.imgur.com/iAlt3Zm.jpg

Starting weight, about 170lbs, I want to get into the 150s again.

I'm not really going to be using a scale, just going by how I look and feel
also I don't have a scale

I am eating around 1200cals a day, give or take a couple hundred depending. Trying to keep carbs low and protein/fat higher.

I am going to be doing cardio 4-5 days a week for 35/40 minutes, and a 55 minute strength circuit workout on the weekends.

Can anyone add anything else?

Motivate me, tell me I'm a fatty, and if by September 1 I'm not smaller, hold me accountable.

Motivate me, tell me I'm a fatty, and if by September 1 I'm not smaller, hold me accountable.

What you are starting sounds achievable but pretty tough to stick to due to real life stuff. It can be done of course, but I'd suggest planning in scheduled breaks and days off (maybe even a week). That way you can get some rest, do whatever needs to be done and still be sticking to your original plan.

Not going to say you are a fatty though, you already look good and will look even better if you stick with it. Also you can smile in your after picture, take the glasses off and let the hair out, so you've got that going for you already.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Went to the gym tonight, still on a cut. Took a break last week so I did deadlifts for the first time in a couple weeks. Finished my sets and figured what the hell I'll give 300 a shot even though the last time I attempted 295 I barely got it off the ground. Got it up easy peasy. New personal record, woot.

Leeness

What you are starting sounds achievable but pretty tough to stick to due to real life stuff. It can be done of course, but I'd suggest planning in scheduled breaks and days off (maybe even a week). That way you can get some rest, do whatever needs to be done and still be sticking to your original plan.

Not going to say you are a fatty though, you already look good and will look even better if you stick with it. Also you can smile in your after picture, take the glasses off and let the hair out, so you've got that going for you already.

If I schedule breaks, I tend to get lazy. :/ So I'd rather say "I will work out every day" and when inevitable days happen when I can't for whatever reason, then I also won't be lazy and take rest days. Lol. Though I'm also toying with the idea of a "rest day" involving just one short 20 minute kickboxing session instead of my 40 minute stacked kickboxing workout.

Okay boys and girls. I need y'all to motivate me! I've got three months to drop 15-20 lbs and stop being such a cow.

http://i.imgur.com/iAlt3Zm.jpg

Starting weight, about 170lbs, I want to get into the 150s again.

I'm not really going to be using a scale, just going by how I look and feel
also I don't have a scale

I am eating around 1200cals a day, give or take a couple hundred depending. Trying to keep carbs low and protein/fat higher.

I am going to be doing cardio 4-5 days a week for 35/40 minutes, and a 55 minute strength circuit workout on the weekends.

Can anyone add anything else?

I only do cardio 5 minutes every other day before stretching and I've lost 20 pounds. If you want to lose weight, get stronger. Your increased muscle mass increases your base metabolic rate, which means your diet uses up more of your body fat. And strength training workouts burn a lot of calories.

Leeness

I only do cardio 5 minutes every other day before stretching and I've lost 20 pounds. If you want to lose weight, get stronger. Your increased muscle mass increases your base metabolic rate, which means your diet uses up more of your body fat. And strength training workouts burn a lot of calories.

Well, by cardio workouts, I mean circuit training stuff, which has some circuits with weights and whatnot. I don't just run or anything like that.

I also don't have the energy to do the whole 50/55 minute weight training at the end of a work day, so I do it twice a week on the weekend. Though I could probably stick it out on Fridays too... Maybe 4 cardio/3 strength?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
First time going over 4 plates for multiple sets on back squat since my knee pain, went beltless and rock bottom, it felt better that way. I'm installing hardwood for another 3 weeks so the soreness won't subside but it doesn't hurt when squatting anymore. I'll continue to take it slow, this ain't no race.

Well, by cardio workouts, I mean circuit training stuff, which has some circuits with weights and whatnot. I don't just run or anything like that.

I also don't have the energy to do the whole 50/55 minute weight training at the end of a work day, so I do it twice a week on the weekend. Though I could probably stick it out on Fridays too... Maybe 4 cardio/3 strength?

When it comes to strength training, if you work out the same two days in a row, you won't make progress because you aren't giving your muscles enough time to recover and therefore you won't be able to use more weight.

Leeness

When it comes to strength training, if you work out the same two days in a row, you won't make progress because you aren't giving your muscles enough time to recover and therefore you won't be able to use more weight.

Unfortunately, that's just kind of what it is for me and my work schedule/bedtime, etc. :(

Also, I'm the weakest person ever and probably will never use more weight. :p I'm more high rep, low weight combo. Right now it's more about finishing each set because my arms/legs hurt so much lol

Lol sorry I'm kind of shooting you down, I'm just working with what I know I can stick to, etc. And I'm pretty sure I can't stick to a 55 minute strength workout with my 2.5 hours a night before bed. :/

Unfortunately, that's just kind of what it is for me and my work schedule/bedtime, etc. :(

Also, I'm the weakest person ever and probably will never use more weight. :p I'm more high rep, low weight combo. Right now it's more about finishing each set because my arms/legs hurt so much lol

If you can only do 2 strength workouts, I suppose you will go for a split (upper body/lower body for example), that way you can workout on 2 consecutive days. Look at the split routine in the OP. Just make sure to give it your best and take them seriously because even if they are only 2, they are still important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom