• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm tired of cutting I need to be back on the bulk, I'd rather have big arms, chest, and back than a 6 pack anyways

Yup. Now you're cooking! On that note got a great compliment from the monster BBer in my gym. Said I've packed a ton of muscle onto my upper back/traps. Feels good man.

Thought this was cool. Drugs or whatever, lots of hard work by Jackman to get to where he is now.

Hugh_Jackman_Wolverine_first_xmen_not_as_lean_strong.jpg

x-men-days-of-future-past-hugh-jackman2.jpg

I do thiiiiis.

Couple of questions.

1. How many times do you eat in one day?

2. Are you currently taking any supplements/or considering taking supplements?

3. When you strength train, do you have a friend with you? (Oh boy that sounded creepy) Just asking because it helps to motivate you when you workout with a friend.

Thought this was cool. Drugs or whatever, lots of hard work by Jackman to get to where he is now.

Your second image doesn't like being remote linked. Works if you load it on its own there.

On that topic. He was bigger and more ripped in The Wolverine I think... and yeah, masses of drugs, but hey, he still has to work for it.

fa43709613d86a39eae4d1fbe62ed193.jpg

Barzul

Okay boys and girls. I need y'all to motivate me! I've got three months to drop 15-20 lbs and stop being such a cow.

http://i.imgur.com/iAlt3Zm.jpg

Starting weight, about 170lbs, I want to get into the 150s again.

I'm not really going to be using a scale, just going by how I look and feel
also I don't have a scale

I am eating around 1200cals a day, give or take a couple hundred depending. Trying to keep carbs low and protein/fat higher.

I am going to be doing cardio 4-5 days a week for 35/40 minutes, and a 55 minute strength circuit workout on the weekends.

Can anyone add anything else?

Motivate me, tell me I'm a fatty, and if by September 1 I'm not smaller, hold me accountable.

I did Insanity and lost 30 pounds, I personally find HIIT better for weight loss than steady state cardio, but it probably varies by person. What will your daily cardio routine consist of?

Van Owen

Banned
Your second image doesn't like being remote linked. Works if you load it on its own there.

On that topic. He was bigger and more ripped in The Wolverine I think... and yeah, masses of drugs, but hey, he still has to work for it.

Nah, he said The Rock just told him to eat 8000 calories a day or something.

lol

fa43709613d86a39eae4d1fbe62ed193.jpg

Thanks.

Nah, he said The Rock just told him to eat 8000 calories a day or something.

lol

I remember reading that and saying because of training advice by The Rock, he was able to put on 25 lbs of muscle in 6 months. Cmon son.

I remember reading that and saying because of training advice by The Rock, he was able to put on 25 lbs of muscle in 6 months. Cmon son.

The worst thing ever isn't people that use some sort of steroid/HGH/whatever the fuck, but the people that use it and then deny it. It just leads to natural people being left confused and frustrated as to why they too cannot put on 25 lbs of muscle in 6 months. I'm truly 100% OK with any sort of substance people want to take to get stronger... just, be honest bros.

When you guys squat, do you go parallel, below parallel or ass to grass? I've been trying to get a firm consensus on this.

I have a hard time telling how low I go, so I occasionally record myself to double-check, but I aim for just below parallel to be 100% sure I'm not cutting my range-of-motion short. I'd prefer to just stick to parallel, but as mentioned, it's hard to tell so I prefer to go a bit below to be certain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing ever isn't people that use some sort of steroid/HGH/whatever the fuck, but the people that use it and then deny it. It just leads to natural people being left confused and frustrated as to why they too cannot put on 25 lbs of muscle in 6 months. I'm truly 100% OK with any sort of substance people want to take to get stronger... just, be honest bros.

The fucked up expectations keeps people making a profit. It sucks.

SeanR1221

Still not 100%. Yesterday all I ate was some bread, a banana and soup.

Today I tried eating some eggs with toast and now my stomach is cramping up again. Wtf is wrong with me? Might have to make a doctors apointment if this doesn't pass.

Leeness

Couple of questions.

1. How many times do you eat in one day?

2. Are you currently taking any supplements/or considering taking supplements?

3. When you strength train, do you have a friend with you? (Oh boy that sounded creepy) Just asking because it helps to motivate you when you workout with a friend.

1. Probably 5/6 depending. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, workout, dinner.

2. I have a bit of protein powder, and take things like green coffee pills and raspberry ketones even though I know they don't really work lol. Once I unpack everything, I have like, fish oil as well.

3. Naw, I work out at home alone. Which is why I like workout DVDs because Jillian Michaels super motivates me and then congratulates me at the end :D

I did Insanity and lost 30 pounds, I personally find HIIT better for weight loss than steady state cardio, but it probably varies by person. What will your daily cardio routine consist of?

I don't do steady cardio, I do circuits, which does the HIIT-thing by going hard for 30 seconds, then stop and do a weight lift thing or something slower for 30, etc.

At the moment, I'm doing this dvd as cardio right now and I do two of the workouts and it's about 40 minutes.

Faith

I (1.78m tall) started my lowcarb diet a month ago. I'm down from 89kg to 82.5kg right now and I'm at 22.5% body fat. My goal is to reach 15% or even below. I play tennis 8-10 hours/week and don't do any other sport activity.

Will I lose my muscles because I don't lift? Will I also lose my power?

Couldn't fast more than 10 hours today. The stomach was roaring and I bought some peanuts, which is not that bad. Should have eaten more last night.

On the plus side, I think I'm starting to see abs. But they will be the fat kind of abs, which look like a gut with a shirt. Like a HGH belly lol. I hope I have some results by July

1. Probably 5/6 depending. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, workout, dinner.

2. I have a bit of protein powder, and take things like green coffee pills and raspberry ketones even though I know they don't really work lol. Once I unpack everything, I have like, fish oil as well.

3. Naw, I work out at home alone. Which is why I like workout DVDs because Jillian Michaels super motivates me and then congratulates me at the end :D

Alright, this is good at least you understand that eating more boosts metabolism. That and you are also on a diet of 1200 cal a day is fantastic. Keep that up!! Just some advice for eating at night. I would stay away from breads and high carb foods at night. Also I would suggest having a protein shake at before going to bed. Helps with recovering what you lost during your workout. Make sure as while that breakfast is your largest meal, because that when you body needs the most nutrients ei. proteins and carbs. I'll consult with my nutritionist today for some more advice. Those are were the things off the top of my head.

Working out at home is ok. So what equipment do you have access to? (i.e resistance bands, Free weights, stationary bike or just a normal bike, step up, exercise ball)

Leeness

Alright, this is good at least you understand that eating more boosts metabolism. That and you are also on a diet of 1200 cal a day is fantastic. Keep that up!! Just some advice for eating at night. I would stay away from breads and high carb foods at night. Also I would suggest having a protein shake at before going to bed. Helps with recovering what you lost during your workout. Make sure as while that breakfast is your largest meal, because that when you body needs the most nutrients ei. proteins and carbs. I'll consult with my nutritionist today for some more advice. Those are were the things off the top of my head.

Working out at home is ok. So what equipment do you have access to? (i.e resistance bands, Free weights, stationary bike or just a normal bike, step up, exercise ball)

I don't eat breads or high carb food :D sworn off bread and pasta and rice for the most part. I'm trying to have less than 50g of carbs in my diet, though with berries, I tend to go over :( My diet is eggs, meat, veggies, cottage cheese, berries. After workout is dinner, which is some kind of meat and veggies, and usually a ~dessert~ of some strawberries and ricotta cheese. I think my dinner ends up being the biggest meal of the day, but my breakfast has a lot of protein and fat in it, so I'm hoping it balances out lol.

At home, it's mostly just hand weights (5lbs lol) and my yoga mat! I don't really want a stationary bike, they really aggravate my knees :( the only stationary work out machine I would ever want again is an elliptical, but even then, I enjoy the workouts I do much more than elliptical. Kickboxing, hand weights, circuits, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't eat breads or high carb food :D sworn off bread and pasta and rice for the most part. I'm trying to have less than 50g of carbs in my diet, though with berries, I tend to go over :( My diet is eggs, meat, veggies, cottage cheese, berries. After workout is dinner, which is some kind of meat and veggies, and usually a ~dessert~ of some strawberries and ricotta cheese. I think my dinner ends up being the biggest meal of the day, but my breakfast has a lot of protein and fat in it, so I'm hoping it balances out lol.

At home, it's mostly just hand weights (5lbs lol) and my yoga mat! I don't really want a stationary bike, they really aggravate my knees :( the only stationary work out machine I would ever want again is an elliptical, but even then, I enjoy the workouts I do much more than elliptical. Kickboxing, hand weights, circuits, etc.

Right on sister, fuck carbs. Coming soon to legitswole.com

grumble

I personally disagree with the above points. Eating more often does not boost metabolism, timing your carbs according to time of day isn't useful, and while breakfast should be eaten (maybe), it's not essential to make it a huge meal. This is all my opinion and the research I've read, so there is no guaranteed answer. The most important thing is adherence to your plan and not falling off the wagon.

For the exercise program, trying to do something a bit more strength focused tends to result in better results than almost pure cardio. First, it builds muscle which looks good and is healthy. Second, it also burns fat same as cardio so why not lift? Especially since there is the healthy attitude that it's the mirror that matters and not the scale. I'm concerned about how you are going from no exercise to 6 days a week; that is a huge lifestyle change and may cause burnout. Have you considered something a bit more measured like starting out with three days a week? It's easier on the willpower.

Pete Rock

If y'all have any problems with your elimination process or would just like it to flow more efficiently, I highly recommend squatty potty products. I bought a two pack of their low rise 7" squat platform and in combination some other treatments this has helped alleviate a lingering issue that was really causing me some concern. I think they are recommended for improved lower colon and rectal health overall.

My perfect bathroom facility would look like this, I guess I should just bite the bullet and move to Japan.

The last stage of transition is to get rid of a king size bed and train myself to sleep on a yoga mat on a wood floor, then I will be prepared.

Leeness

Agreeeeeed. They give me a belly :'(

I personally disagree with the above points. Eating more often does not boost metabolism, timing your carbs according to time of day isn't useful, and while breakfast should be eaten (maybe), it's not essential to make it a huge meal. This is all my opinion and the research I've read, so there is no guaranteed answer. The most important thing is adherence to your plan and not falling off the wagon.

For the exercise program, trying to do something a bit more strength focused tends to result in better results than almost pure cardio. First, it builds muscle which looks good and is healthy. Second, it also burns fat same as cardio so why not lift? Especially since there is the healthy attitude that it's the mirror that matters and not the scale. I'm concerned about how you are going from no exercise to 6 days a week; that is a huge lifestyle change and may cause burnout. Have you considered something a bit more measured like starting out with three days a week? It's easier on the willpower.

Well, my circuits aren't pure cardio either. They're back and forth between cardio and strength. I'm not doing it at the moment but if I did 30 day shred, it's 3 minute strength, 2 cardio, 1 abs and rotates. The rest of the stuff I do is similar but not as structured. But it jumps between cardio/strength/ab work.

Only got 3 months! I got the willpower! Though today, not gonna lie, my quads hurt like hell so I'll probably do a shorter/less intense workout or walk or something.

Ice cream right after a huge workout is legit tho. I like.

If y'all have any problems with your elimination process or would just like it to flow more efficiently, I highly recommend squatty potty products. I bought a two pack of their low rise 7" squat platform and in combination some other treatments this has helped alleviate a lingering issue that was really causing me some concern. I think they are recommended for improved lower colon and rectal health overall.

My perfect bathroom facility would look like this, I guess I should just bite the bullet and move to Japan.

The last stage of transition is to get rid of a king size bed and train myself to sleep on a yoga mat on a wood floor, then I will be prepared.

lol, the sphincter is a muscle after all, so we need to take care of that anus fitness as well!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Not sure if this is the right place to ask...:
I have a soreness on my right hip. It's kind of around my Iliac crest, but it's not the bone, and I can't seem to determine if it's a muscle or a tendon or whatever. I feel some soreness when I walk, and tossing and turning around in bed last night also caused the area to be sore.

I started feeling it about 3 weeks ago after I did leg day at the gym (and for whatever reason did some decline situps, which I haven't done in forever). It's come and gone. I played soccer last night and it started acting up again.

I can't tell if it's the external abdominal oblique or the gluteus medius.

Should I just go with the standard practice of RICE??

Barzul

I have a hard time telling how low I go, so I occasionally record myself to double-check, but I aim for just below parallel to be 100% sure I'm not cutting my range-of-motion short. I'd prefer to just stick to parallel, but as mentioned, it's hard to tell so I prefer to go a bit below to be certain.

I haven't recorded myself doing them, but my workout partners say I'm doing parallel. That's what I aim for anyway.

Booties

Banned
I'm having trouble getting comfortable doing deadlifts and bent over rows. I think my back and hips are in the wrong spots. For rows especially; am I supposed to keep everything still, upper back parallel to the ground, and lift with just my upper body?

velociraptor

I find it so hard to grip the bar during deadlifts, even with straps (I got them for free.. maybe it's because the quality is shit?)

I've progressed to 105kg now on my deadlifts and it's getting to the point where it feels like the bar is slipping.

I haven't recorded myself doing them, but my workout partners say I'm doing parallel. That's what I aim for anyway.

Personally, if you're hitting parallel then I wouldn't sweat it.

I find it so hard to grip the bar during deadlifts, even with straps (I got them for free.. maybe it's because the quality is shit?)

I've progressed to 105kg now on my deadlifts and it's getting to the point where it feels like the bar is slipping.

What grip are you using for your deadlifts?

In general, when you find your grip failing on deadlifts, try the following options, starting with the first of the list:

1) Chalk
2) Mixed grip (one overhand, one underhand)
3) Straps

Maybe others would disagree, but I think straps should be the last option used when grip is an issue. Mixed grip is great, but should be used only when you need it (so, don't use it on your warm-up/lighter sets). Chalk is of course awesome and has no downsides besides possibly being messy... and if you forget it at home you're gonna be pissed because it's so damn awesome.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Are you squatting and deadlifting a factor of your body weight (1.5, 2, 2.5) for work sets 3x per week while eating 4-6k cals per day? That's probably why not.
This is such a fantastic post. We should sticky it on the top of every page.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
on a positive note, since my ankle got busted I've finally got back up to 220lb squats, never did it 5x5 though so tomorrow is gonna be interesting..

Vooduu

Are you squatting and deadlifting a factor of your body weight (1.5, 2, 2.5) for work sets 3x per week while eating 4-6k cals per day? That's probably why not.

Squat 275 10x

Workout 5-6x a week. Cardio sometimes.

I focus more on protein intake, consuming my about 1-2x of my body weight, but I eat 3-4x a day with snacks in between.

Sounds like you are on the right course to weight loss. Keep up the good work. If you keep it up you should start seeing results soon. Keep us updated and keep motivated :)

Your equipment is fine, I personally think bodyweight fitness trainings is the most fun and most rewarding .

I personally disagree with the above points. Eating more often does not boost metabolism, timing your carbs according to time of day isn't useful, and while breakfast should be eaten (maybe), it's not essential to make it a huge meal. This is all my opinion and the research I've read, so there is no guaranteed answer. The most important thing is adherence to your plan and not falling off the wagon..

It was something I pick up on over the years and some advice. Skipping meals tends to slow down your(or just mine, who knows everyone is different :p) metabolism. Eating snacks in between meals always kept my body in a state of flux never really forcing the body to eat at itself. If you start skipping meals the body tends to store fat instead of burning it.

Zoe

It was something I pick up on over the years and some advice. Skipping meals tends to slow down your(or just mine, who knows everyone is different :p) metabolism. Eating snacks in between meals always kept my body in a state of flux never really forcing the body to eat at itself. If you start skipping meals the body tends to store fat instead of burning it.

There have been studies that have proven that to be false whereas there haven't been any studies that have proven that to be true.

Multiple small meals is more about portion/hunger control.

Cooter

Yeah....I don't believe this to be true at all. Why would you store fat more so when fasting? This just sounds like old wives tales that you used to always hear at the the gym back in the day. I only eat at night. No consumption until after 5. Works out to be about 18 hours without food. My metabolism is fine and I don't store anymore fat than I did when I was eating small meals all day. Actually, I find it leans me out more by fasting. There are many ways to approach eating and they all work. When and how often you eat matters very little if at all.

Petrie

Banned

Please don't post your anecdotal stuff as if it is fact then. It makes it hard to parse the real information from something somebody just heard from their bro.

Your body doesn't work that way.

Squat 275 10x

Workout 5-6x a week. Cardio sometimes.

I focus more on protein intake, consuming my about 1-2x of my body weight, but I eat 3-4x a day with snacks in between.

All you had to say was "nope".

You aren't doing what you should to put on mass. That's why you aren't gaining mass.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Are you squatting and deadlifting a factor of your body weight (1.5, 2, 2.5) for work sets 3x pe
r week while eating 4-6k cals per day? That's probably why not.

Fuck 2.5x bw squats three times a week is what bulgarian weightlifters do...on shit loads of pharmaceutical enhancements. Ilya Ilyin is only squatting 485-500 right now and he's one of the top lifters in the world.

ILoveBish

They have chalk freeeeee at my gym, but my friend uses the climbing chalk ball off amazon, another uses liquid chalk which is also pretty good apparently

I got a chalk ball on the way. Hopefully in time for my 425 deadlift attempt, but I kinda want to try fit it raw first. Damn you ego.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck 2.5x bw squats three times a week is what bulgarian weightlifters do...on shit loads of pharmaceutical enhancements. Ilya Ilyin is only squatting 485-500 right now and he's one of the top lifters in the world.

Yup. I don't even come close to that volume and I wouldn't consider myself small.

GD Mark Bell is a fucken beast.
He's jacked, lean and strong as an ox.
]

He's also on shit and annoying as fuck.

Cooter

I took it as DLing 2.5x bw and squatting 1.5-2x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom