• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
starting June i begin my cut, so final bulky lift on saturday.

one thing i am wondering, if it okay to get a little less sleep while cutting? tbh i kind of resent feeling like i have to sleep 8 hours after a lift. i'd rather be up doing stuff. obviously sleep is important either way but i'd love it if i could get away with 6 hours or something

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
212.5lbs, keeping on that bulk.

KTIBvYK.jpg

rqEuhiS.jpg

Chocobro

I'm drooling here...

Today I was about to do band-assisted pull-ups but my friend said, "fuck that shit. Do them without a band" because he knows that I've been on SS for almost 10 months. Surprised I was able to do 5. Last time I checked, I was barely able to do 1. Yay lol.

Getting the hang of Hang Cleans, might add the pulling from the ground part so I can practice the Power Clean.

despire

Can you link me to some science that backs this up? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just haven't seen anything backing this besides random internet posts.

I just remember Martin Berkhan (or some other expert) saying it. Can't find a source right away and I'm at work atm sorry.

Anyway we are talking about a very small increase here. I just remember that it was mentioned in counter to the myth that your metabolism needs to be jump-started in the morning and will slow to a grawl unless you eat every few hours.

despire

Come on, son.

There is a difference. Even Lyle McDonald recommends taking ephedrine instead of ephedra because ephedra can have some pretty serious side effects (racing heartbeat, feeling of heart coming out of your chest etc..). Ephedrine can too I think but it's not so common and they are milder. Also don't take too much.

How much of a deficit is too much? For whatever reason I'm finding it quite easy to put myself around the 1000kcal / day deficit area at the moment... but I'm thinking that's probably too much. Still hitting my protein target, just about.

despire

How much of a deficit is too much? For whatever reason I'm finding it quite easy to put myself around the 1000kcal / day deficit area at the moment... but I'm thinking that's probably too much. Still hitting my protein target, just about.

It depends. Many would argue that 1000 cal deficit in a day is too much but I don't think so. As long as your gym performance doesn't (dramatically) suffer I'd say go for it. Just make sure your protein level is high enough. How many calories are you eating a day?

ILoveBish

Worked my way up to my last set on bench, 235lbsx3. The sets till then felt great and strong. I unrack it, do 1 rep, felt heavy but went up clean. 2nd rep, much tougher but went up clean. I was about to rack it and then just remembered what brolic said about pushing yourself. So went for the third rep, going up felt bad, but instinct kicked in and leg drive came into work and got it easy. Damn it felt so good. I only ate 1700 kcals today so victory was even sweeter.

It depends. Many would argue that 1000 cal deficit in a day is too much but I don't think so. As long as your gym performance doesn't (dramatically) suffer I'd say go for it. Just make sure your protein level is high enough. How many calories are you eating a day?

~2,000 with an average exercise burn (HRM with V02 max data) of about 600 kcal.

Workouts are getting to be very hard, but my numbers aren't dropping yet (couple going up still, I guess from improved technique).

APF

There is a difference. Even Lyle McDonald recommends taking ephedrine instead of ephedra because ephedra can have some pretty serious side effects (racing heartbeat, feeling of heart coming out of your chest etc..). Ephedrine can too I think but it's not so common and they are milder. Also don't take too much.

Personally I didn't notice a difference going from one to the other after the ban. Like a lot of this stuff YMMV, so the best thing is to slowly acclimate / get a sense of what your natural tolerance is.

Matugi

Hmm, if caffeine irritates your colon (that's why things are moving), you may not want to take any before a workout. Trust me. I just got completely laid out due to the runner's trots.

nah i time it perfectly. Coffee with breakfast, hour-hour and a half to digest, then hit the gym full of energy and empty of poo

SeanR1221

Trying to make a doctors appointment for tomorrow. Last night some soup sent me into horrible abdominal cramps.

This morning some toast and apple sauce sent my stomach upside down.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to make a doctors appointment for tomorrow. Last night some soup sent me into horrible abdominal cramps.

Do it quick before you turn to dust. Good luck...

Cooter, and those who do or have done intermittent fasting successfully, how many calories you eat on lifting days and on rest days? I eat at a deficit on rest days but I think I'm gonna up it to at least maintenance because, maybe it's just me, but I feel like I lose muscle after a day.

Petrie

Banned
Cooter, and those who do or have done intermittent fasting successfully, how many calories you eat on lifting days and on rest days? I eat at a deficit on rest days but I think I'm gonna up it to at least maintenance because, maybe it's just me, but I feel like I lose muscle after a day.

Depends if I'm cutting or bulking. If I'm cutting it's 5-700 under on rest days and then around maintenance on lifting days. If I'm bulking all bets are off!

The time I felt like that is because I was walking around with a burst appendix. As you said, go hit up that doctor.

looking good MTP. Forever bulk.

It is crazy to see how flat I look without carbs. Looking back at old pics got me reminiscing of the good ol days. Just had some oatmeal with pb, some ezekiel bread, and a protein shake. Need them carbs brah.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Like Petrie said, it depends on my cutting/bulking/maintain goals at the time. I also train 6 days a week so that only leaves one rest day. On that rest day I eat the same amount as a lifting day. I don't adjust because I feel my body needs ample fuel while I'm resting and recovering.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Worked my way up to my last set on bench, 235lbsx3. The sets till then felt great and strong. I unrack it, do 1 rep, felt heavy but went up clean. 2nd rep, much tougher but went up clean. I was about to rack it and then just remembered what brolic said about pushing yourself. So went for the third rep, going up felt bad, but instinct kicked in and leg drive came into work and got it easy. Damn it felt so good. I only ate 1700 kcals today so victory was even sweeter.

Good deal man, I'd watch that low intake though.

Here is a pic of me in the Hamptons last weekend. I got 2 weeks left till Vegas to look completely shredded. Also had an epic cheat day on that Monday because I didn't have one in months and it was my Bday weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/LyWNCXg.png

I've seen you post many a time but never have seen a pic of you. Dood, you look fucking fantastic. Mad props. What is your height and weight again?

Seriously dood, looking great.

Pete Rock

Here is a pic of me in the Hamptons last weekend
Happy belated birthday! You're gonna slay 'em, thumbs up. Those shorts are so fucking o_0 unghhhhhh sexxxy!!! Serious question, have you practiced any poses? Idk maybe you're a professional model so it is natural but for me I had to practice a lot. When people request a photo, you gotta really play it up and look like supaman, so it's good to have three or four that you are really comfortable with that make you glow from the inside out! I feel they are well practiced enough when your muscles are all flexed, your body is creating a great line while most importantly you aren't looking concerted or focused in your brow or your expression. Gotta keep flashing that golden smile making it look effortless!

CI eat at a deficit on rest days but I think I'm gonna up it to at least maintenance because, maybe it's just me, but I feel like I lose muscle after a day.
Looks like 2800 on an off day if I only eat once and 4000 if I eat twice on a training day. Although like Cooter & Petrie it depends on your situation. If I was trying to look really shredded or focus on a cut I would do all the major points of IF, namely 1) 8 hour window 2) heavy calorie cycling/deficit on off days 3) fasted workouts.

Having already been shredded down to an uncomfortable skinny level, I have forgone the latter two points and stuffed my face with two meals a day for weeks on end and I barely gain weight, but it is all super lean mass and I maintain aesthetic integrity, so I am happy with the incremental progress.

I still prefer this over the "idea" of a bulk and cut cycle even though I have not attempted one. I think it would fuck with me too bad, while IF keeps me strict and honest all the time. Plus there's no way I could lose an inch of definition at this point without qq'ing all day, so. Infinite recomp is the name of my game! Most weeks I end up eating twice a day six days and just say fuck it to the off day cycling, unless I get super busy and end up playing frisbee golf or dancing all night or something which would not go over well with a belly full of food. Part of this is the focus on gains and part of it is not having any food go to waste as I cook everything on Sunday and if there is overage it piles up onto next weeks plate.

Happy belated birthday! You're gonna slay 'em, thumbs up. Those shorts are so fucking o_0 unghhhhhh sexxxy!!! Serious question, have you practiced any poses? Idk maybe you're a professional model so it is natural but for me I had to practice a lot. When people request a photo, you gotta really play it up and look like supaman, so it's good to have three or four that you are really comfortable with that make you glow from the inside out! I feel they are well practiced enough when your muscles are all flexed, your body is creating a great line while most importantly you aren't looking concerted or focused in your brow or your expression. Gotta keep flashing that golden smile making it look effortless!

Thanks im gonna try lol.

Not a model but my brother is. I am actually thinking about getting into fitness modeling since I've been living like this for the past 2 years (been lifting for 15). Im just so used to meal prepping and training that its become my day to day lifestyle. Might as well try and get paid for something you live by day to day. The only pose I do is the occasional "Zyzz pose" when goofing around

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Had an incident at the gym just now.

Was on my fifth set of 5x10 deadlifts. I hear someone shout, "Hey, bring it down slowly!" on my 7th rep, which as you might imagine can be incredibly distracting. I finish my 10th rep thankfully, exhausted as I just did 50 deadlifts after heavy squats, and this big dude (about 235lbs) goes, "You wanna bring it down slowly, that's half the workout."

I say, "You sure? That's a pretty different exercise, no?"

He says, "No, man, you're not doing most of the workout."

I say, "I dunno, this is a lot of weight for me, I'd injure myself going slowly on the negative, especially during 50 reps."

He has the fucking nerve to go, "Really? I mean, 185? That's not a lot of weight."

I say, "Dude, look at you and look at me. For you, this is probably warm-up weight. For me, it's just right."

He had no argument for that. Saw it in his face. All he said was, "...Yeah, I just, that *clink* *clink* *clink* is so, you know..."

I said, "Yeah, well, I love that sound at the gym. I like to know that people are actually working out, lifting heavy and shit, and not fucking around on their phones."

He finally goes, "Yeah, I guess..." and walks away, and that was that. Two guys afterwards came up to me and basically said, "Was that fucking guy serious?"

I'm incredibly surprised I kept my cool, actually. Nothing is worse than when someone interrupts you DURING an exercise. I mean, what the fuck? Have some courtesy.

Cooter

Was on my fifth set of 5x10 deadlifts. I hear someone shout, "Hey, bring it down slowly!" on my 7th rep, which as you might imagine can be incredibly distracting. I finish my 10th rep thankfully, exhausted as I just did 50 deadlifts after heavy squats, and this big dude (about 235lbs) goes, "You wanna bring it down slowly, that's half the workout."

I say, "I dunno, this is a lot of weight for me, I'd injure myself going slowly on the negative, especially during 50 reps."

He has the fucking nerve to go, "Really? I mean, 185? That's not a lot of weight."

I say, "Dude, look at you and look at me. For you, this is probably warm-up weight. For me, it's just right."

He had no argument for that. Saw it in his face. All he said was, "...Yeah, I just, that *clink* *clink* *clink* is so, you know..."

I said, "Yeah, well, I love that sound at the gym. I like to know that people are actually working out, lifting heavy and shit, and not fucking around on their phones."

He finally goes, "Yeah, I guess..." and walks away, and that was that. Two guys afterwards came up to me and basically said, "Was that fucking guy serious?"

I'm incredibly surprised I kept my cool, actually. Nothing is worse than when someone interrupts you DURING an exercise. I mean, what the fuck? Have some courtesy.
Dude is obviously a moron. Lowering a deadlift slowly?? Yeah, go right ahead if you're interested in throwing your back out. Control the drop. Use as little energy as possible lowering it.

Matugi

So I bit the bullet and got the stuff for the EC stack. I'd like to get my blood pressure checked but I'm not sure where to do it, but I don't think I've got high blood pressure. Nevertheless gonna increase fluids and lower sodium and hit the ground running on Monday.

So I bit the bullet and got the stuff for the EC stack. I'd like to get my blood pressure checked but I'm not sure where to do it, but I don't think I've got high blood pressure. Nevertheless gonna increase fluids and lower sodium and hit the ground running on Monday.

Keep us updated.

Speaking of which, there was someone here who did or was doing Smolov Jr. for bench and squats. Curious as to how that turned out.

Barzul

Jerk

Come on, son.

HUGE difference brAhPF. One's an unregulated herbal where you don't know the dose of effective ingredient, other's a medicinal product manufactured to tight tolerances with the amount in milligrams right there on the package.

And yeah more is not better.

iddqd

I don't have any answers for you but I'm going through something similar ATM. I posted earlier in the thread, sprained my left wrist as well. I won't share how as it's nowhere near as cool as MMA practice lol. I'm about 3 and a half weeks into it now - most of the pain is gone for day to day tasks though occasionally something gives me pause.

I decided to test the waters with a few things last night. At 85 lbs bench I started to have some issues near the base of my thumb where it meets the wrist in the back, mainly at the top of the range of motion, and especially when reracking the bar. Didn't bother trying OHP and definitely no clean and jerk yet.

I'm going to order a pair of strength wraps for my wrists and keep trying bench presses with light weights about once a week. I don't want to push things but I don't want to waste time either.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm saying goodbye to bench and OHP until the fall I think. Goodbye shoulders, hello pyramid breasts!

Pete Rock

This has only happened once to me and not quite to that degree, at least in terms of interrupting your set. That is unconscionable and as far as readily learned gym etiquette goes downright abhorrent. The only thing that should interrupt your lift is if the power to the entire fucking building goes out. Which has happened to me once, and I still blamed the city worker who cut the wrong cable two blocks away. Fuck that guy for screwing up my set!

A semi-new years resolution-er who had showed up and been lifting a few weeks came up and asked me why I hold my breath and go for sets of 10. I said because I am training for volume and I lose too much focus and hyperventilate and get light headed if I pull a deep breath on every rep. He says "oh well everyone knows you do better with a big breath on every rep, try it" so I just smiled and nodded and said sure thing brah and went about my session.

Two or three other times he mentioned this and particularly after I was getting done with squats. "Jesus dude you keep holding your breath like that I think you're gonna fall out one of these days. I've seen that shit on youtube" I'm just like uhhh... uhhh... ok dude. I've never seen you squat a goddamn thing, so near as I can tell you're speaking out your ass.

Next week he shows up and brings a manta-ray which is like a pussy pad on steroids that is sold to people who want to squat high bar but have no traps to rest it on, near as I can tell. He loads up 225 and does the shittiest 1/4 depth squats I have ever seen, then throws up 90 more pounds to 315 and does one set of five at the same depth. I was honestly surprised he didn't walk over to me and "show me" how to do it. It's been three months and I haven't seen the dude since. He also had the scrawniest build and shittiest chicken legs I have ever seen.

So Mr OGB I would suspect this fool probably never even deadlifts and just wanted to talk shit because he was miring your booty.

Two solutions - headphones, even if they aren't turned on and plugged in. Alternately, instead of engaging them, next time someone starts spitting ignorant bullshit at me instead of humoring them I am just going to start rolling my eyes and doing a double jerkoff motion with my hands at the same time until they get incredibly uncomfortable and walk away on their own behalf.

Not a model but my brother is. I am actually thinking about getting into fitness modeling since I've been living like this for the past 2 years (been lifting for 15). Im just so used to meal prepping and training that its become my day to day lifestyle. Might as well try and get paid for something you live by day to day.
Do it man you definitely look the part, I've only been on the grind for two years and am seriously considering a similar secondary career in that area. If I had over a decade under my belt it would be no question.

The only pose I do is the occasional "Zyzz pose" when goofing around
I would say look over a posing guide for traditional body builders and pick out your favorites, but to add some levity and comedy I would also recommend studying classic animation such as Looney Tunes. I lifted some of my most well received reaction/statement poses from Bugs & Daffy.

P44

Got a few questions guys, my squat form is frankly a bag of crap at the moment, hips rise too fast, it goes a bit squat morning.

So this morning I tried box squats.

LOL

Like so I have very little hamstring drive, though the box may have been a bit too low (around 11/12 inches high). Had to cut back from 50 to 20kg's. Which is telling me I've spent the past few weeks doing a glorified back and quads exercise - not the end of the world (at least..something gained, right?)

I'm on some 3x5 progression at the moment and would really like to fix these squats and box squats seems a good way to do it, build back up to 50kg's with some hip drive- but what would you guys advise?

Also, any tips for OHP? My overhead press increases really slowly and I really struggle at the bottom from a dead stop; how do I get better at that bit. Also after a few reps locking out at the top is kind of tricky so if there's any accessory work I could use to fix that too - would pullups help at all? I'm trying arnold presses but I've just started.

I started working out again, was trying to do aerobics with some circuits the past couple weeks, but this Sunday I think I sprained my foot or something. I started feeling it Sunday night, but my Monday morning my foot was extremely sensitive to any touching. Like I could brush my big toe against something and it would cause agony.

It's been a few days since then, and it's definitely better (I can walk on it with only a little discomfort), but I still feel some pain around the sesamoid/big toe area. I can squeeze it and rub it without feeling pain, but when I wiggle my big toe I definitely feel it.

This has kept me from the gym because I was afraid of making it worse and hurting myself, but now I'm worried I'm spending too much time away. It's been almost a week since my last visit. Should I try to go back now, or should I wait until all the pain's disappeared?

Zoe

I would not personally risk any weight-bearing exercises until you feel 100%.

A week is nothing in the long run.

sphinx

the piano man
Here is a pic of me in the Hamptons last weekend. I got 2 weeks left till Vegas to look completely shredded. Also had an epic cheat day on that Monday because I didn't have one in months and it was my Bday weekend.

Also completely carb depleted here too.

holy shit man, that pic just single-handedly positioned you in the Top 5 most aesthetic bodies of all of FitGAF, in this or previous threads.

this is why I don't recommend people new to the thread to try to make a grand entrance with some pics "to be an inspiration for the weak", there's plenty of guys that prefer to have a low profile and refrain from posting their pics but when they do, fuck, it's clear FitGaf has some damn high standards.

Sadetar

Also completely carb depleted here too.
Holy hell. You look absolutely smashing! Insane muscle definition!

I must by September!

Congrats on the 15lbs so far! :)

I'm going on a trip in September to Europe so I want to A: be able to walk everywhere and not give a fuck and B: be able to take pictures of myself in Europe lol.

I'm glad you're doing somewhat similar to me and getting results :)

Once I find my tape measure, I will take measurements. I'm guessing, since I remember what they were last time I was this heavy, 40-31/32-40. Bust will never go down lol. That has been consistent no matter what.

Planned to work out tonight but I've come home with a headache that is making me a bit nauseous, so forced rest day it is. Haha.
Awww, thanks honey.

Ooh! A trip to Europe! :D I am so excited for you! If you come to Finland, hit me up!

I have been in US once and it was epic. I actually roadtripped there with one of the gaffers. Ah, now when you mentioned travelling I am thinking I need to get some time and perhaps hit America again at some point.

With all honesty I don't think there is anything wrong with your measures - on the contrary. Sounds extremely good to me. But yes, I understand that if you are used to be a size or two smaller they bother you. Hahah, and the bust is just good news. ;)

Good luck and keep up the good work! You will get there!

Loving your chest and tummy. :p

Cooter

holy shit man, that pic just single-handedly positioned you in the Top 5 most aesthetic bodies of all of FitGAF, in this or previous threads.

this is why I don't recommend people new to the thread to try to make a grand entrance with some pics "to be an inspiration for the weak", there's plenty of guys that prefer to have a low profile and refrain from posting their pics but when they do, fuck, it's clear FitGaf has some damn high standards.
The bigger question is who did you demote out of your top five?

sphinx

the piano man
The bigger question is who did you demote out of your top five?

oh no, it's more like he joined the higher ranks of Fitgaf there but if you are curious well here's the top 5, lol, and it's not in any particular order.

Darth,
Immortal,
Cooter
Host Samurai
Either Jason's Ultimatum or BruceLeeRoy, I mix them up but I think both have great aesthetic bodies anyway so Top 6 I guess

that being said, Brolic has a way more badass and sexier chest than all of you, one that can only be achieved with certain genetics besides hard work, so no use trying to catch up to that lol so that's that.

Cooter

oh no, it's more like he joined the higher ranks of Fitgaf there but if you are curious well here's the top 5, lol, and it's not in any particular order.

Darth,
Immortal,
Cooter
Host Samurai
Either Jason's Ultimatum or BruceLeeRoy, I mix them up but I think both have great aesthetic bodies anyway so Top 6 I guess

that being said, Brolic has a way more badass and sexier chest than all of you, one that can only be achieved with certain genetics besides hard work, so no use trying to catch up to that lol so that's that.

Haha. Just messing with you. I don't recall a shirtless Brolic pic. That's pure conjecture!

And no order? Sure.... Darth just happened to be first? ;)

sphinx

the piano man
Haha. Just messing with you. I don't recall a shirtless Brolic pic. That's pure conjecture!

And no order? Sure.... Darth just happened to be first? ;)

hahaha, well Brolic does not need to take his shirt off, the massive pecs are visible no matter what.

and no, no particular order because placements depend on my mood any given the day and the pics you guys share, but everyone has been place Nr. 1 at one point or another.

(I better stop this conversation lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom