• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'm looking for some longer term advice in terms of future goals and nutrition. My current PRs are:

Squats 3x5 @ 250
Bench 1x2 @ 205
OHP 3x5 115
DL 3x5 275 (injured myself doing these earlier in the month because I'm an idiot).

I'm 5'11" @ 175 lbs.

I'm getting married next september and don't want to pack on too much fat before them. My tentative plan is to maintain until October, bulk from October until March, and then cut until September. Part of what I'm not sure of is how much weight I should aim to pack on during my bulk. I really have no idea what a obtainable, realistic goal for my gains would be during that time period. I've been relatively the same weight for the past three years, slowly gaining ~8 lbs over three years.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I wouldn't focus on "bulking/cutting."

Simply eat and lift and don't eat carried away. About 3 months out from your big day if you realize you got carried away and wanna lean out before your wedding go on a 3 month "cut." That should be plenty of time.

I think people get too much into the bullshit mindset of "bulking/cutting". Unless you're a bodybuilder IMO you're wasting your time and over thinking shit. Eat and lift, monitor progress and adjust on the fly if you want to remain lean.

Also looking at your stats IMO the last thing you need is a cut. But I'm also a guy that thinks bigger is better lol.

I agree with shogun.

That t-nation article on bulking must have been posted ten times already, but I'll post it again:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Basically, since there is a hard limit to your muscle growth rate, it's pointless to go ham on bulking with crazy amounts of food as it'll just get deposited into your fat storages (which by the sounds of thing is something you're not looking to do).

A rate of two-three pounds per month is fine, of which 1.5-2 will be muscles, but if you're for an example gaining a pound every week - half of your gains is just fat.
So just eat healthy, good, and enough for you to gain an appreciate amount of muscles with minimal fat while monitoring your body. If you're gaining too much weight and/or fat, then simply cut down on your daily calorific intake.

SeanR1221

I'm starting to agree with Shogun. I'm obviously not having my weight fly off, but I'm looking better and getting stronger by really cleaning up my diet. If I stall I could eat a little extra and see if that helps.

I've come to accept to help obliterate the last bastion of fat on myself I'm going to have to bite the bullet and incorporate some cardio, so there's a question involved.

On the last leg of SS. Would cardio benefit me more on off days, after lifting, or doesn't matter?
Morning before you eat i thought is the best in this situation. Or after lifting, right after.

If you are going to cut, I would not cut 1 month before my wedding. Try to be at maintenance or a little above, weddings can be tough.

So I was wondering, how much of a difference would it make if I started doing 30 situps in the morning and 30 at night every day?

I don't work out AT ALL.
Im kinda lazy but Im not fat Im a bit skinny.

So since I have no fat gut to work off would starting doing these situps get me a 6pack quickly?

So I was wondering, how much of a difference would it make if I started doing 30 situps in the morning and 30 at night every day?

I don't work out AT ALL.

So since I have no fat gut to work off would starting doing these situps get me a 6pack quickly?

I'm sensing a shit storm coming

Imm0rt4l

.....moving on

Weighing in at around 207. Jesus im not even trying to gain weight. I should probably start tracking a little closer. I was meant to be a big boy I swear. Its like my body is used to being 220+ and so my setpoints are so high.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I don't work out AT ALL.

Can't tell if srs.

lenovox1

Can't tell if srs.

Now, now. If he did the sit ups Tabata-style (8 rounds of the movement with 20 sec. of As Many Reps As Possible and 10 sec. of rest), he could measurably improve his anaerobic capacity and aerobic fitness level.

But, seriously, If you're not trolling TheVampire, you could do any of plyometrics, calisthenics, martial arts (kickboxing and Muay Thai are great full body workouts), yoga, Pilates, running and other cardio, and a host of other things along with a close monitor of your diet if you want to change your body without weights.

If you are trolling, um... lol or something?

Another noob question sorry guys.

Is it accepted that doing 5 reps of say a bench press at a heavier weight is better than doing 15 at a easier weight?

TopDreg

Thanks shogun and Bird for the progression advice.

So, tried out low bar squat today. I found myself lowering the weight by 20 lbs when I felt like my form was faltering with the unfamiliar squat form. Maybe I wasn't squatting deep enough earlier... and this form helps on that? Supposedly, it's a stronger form though. Feels more unnatural... the movement certainly doesn't feel as vertical of a motion. Where as with resting the bar on my traps, moving the bar up felt more like a matter of focusing my mind on lifting upwards with my lower back, now I feel the trick is to focusing on thrusting my hips, and hopefully in the right manner. Rounding the back also seems easier to do with this form, which really scared me.

One big concern I have with the form: I feel like if I'm really struggling with lifting the bar up in this form (like where you're having a hard time midway in the rising motion to produce enough of a hip thrust), the low bar squat form can really strain your lower back by forcing you into a position in which you're leaning uncomfortably forward.

Visceir

Another noob question sorry guys.

Is it accepted that doing 5 reps of say a bench press at a heavier weight is better than doing 15 at a easier weight?

You should read the OP. It depends what you're going for, lower rep ranges for strenght, high rep ranges for size.

Graph from the OP

Might as well post it, here are my progress pictures from the past few months.
progress.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks shogun and Bird for the progression advice.

So, tried out low bar squat today. I found myself lowering the weight by 20 lbs when I felt like my form was faltering with the unfamiliar squat form. Maybe I wasn't squatting deep enough earlier... and this form helps on that? Supposedly, it's a stronger form though. Feels more unnatural... the movement certainly doesn't feel as vertical of a motion. Where as with resting the bar on my traps, moving the bar up felt more like a matter of focusing my mind on lifting upwards with my lower back, now I feel the trick is to focusing on thrusting my hips, and hopefully in the right manner. Rounding the back also seems easier to do with this form, which really scared me.

One big concern I have with the form: I feel like if I'm really struggling with lifting the bar up in this form (like where you're having a hard time midway in the rising motion to produce enough of a hip thrust), the low bar squat form can really strain your lower back by forcing you into a position in which you're leaning uncomfortably forward.

Low-bar does take some getting used to. It's definitely less of a vertical motion than high bar as well. It sounds like you might be"good morning"-ing the weight on the way back up (google search something like "good morning squat" for more info on this). If you could get video of your form for low bar and your previous form others and myself will be able to give more detailed advice. Just to reiterate though, you don't have to do low-bar. It's good to learn all the squat forms, but if it feels awkward and unnatural there's not much point in delaying 2 or more weeks of progress by switching to it from high-bar, assuming your high-bar is on point.

Now, now. If he did the sit ups Tabata-style (8 rounds of the movement with 20 sec. of As Many Reps As Possible and 10 sec. of rest), he could measurably improve his anaerobic capacity and aerobic fitness level.

But, seriously, If you're not trolling TheVampire, you could do any of plyometrics, calisthenics, martial arts (kickboxing and Muay Thai are great full body workouts), yoga, Pilates, running and other cardio, and a host of other things along with a close monitor of your diet if you want to change your body without weights.

If you are trolling, um... lol or something?

I dont know why you think I was trolling.
I was serious.
I will start going to the gym soon and getting into shape but Im very busy at the moment so its not going to happen just yet.
That why I was just curious what difference just doing 30 quick sit ups at morning and night would do to my abs seeing as how I already have no fat gut to work off as im skinny.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I was serious.
I will start going to the gym soon and getting into shape but Im very busy at the moment so its not going to happen just yet.
That why I was just curious what difference just doing 30 quick sit ups at morning and night would do to my abs seeing as how I already have no fat gut to work off as im skinny.
If you're skinny but don't have particularly visible abs then you may have a higher bf% than looks may indicate due to an absence of lean mass. Doing sit-ups and the like may change that a bit by strengthening and growing the muscles in your core but it won't "burn off" the fat in the area and give you a six-pack.
If you want a quick routine that you can do at home before you start going to the gym I'd recommend doing squats, pushups and planks, in that order.

I wouldn't focus on "bulking/cutting."

Simply eat and lift and don't eat carried away. About 3 months out from your big day if you realize you got carried away and wanna lean out before your wedding go on a 3 month "cut." That should be plenty of time.

I think people get too much into the bullshit mindset of "bulking/cutting". Unless you're a bodybuilder IMO you're wasting your time and over thinking shit. Eat and lift, monitor progress and adjust on the fly if you want to remain lean.

Also looking at your stats IMO the last thing you need is a cut. But I'm also a guy that thinks bigger is better lol.

I agree with shogun.

That t-nation article on bulking must have been posted ten times already, but I'll post it again:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Basically, since there is a hard limit to your muscle growth rate, it's pointless to go ham on bulking with crazy amounts of food as it'll just get deposited into your fat storages (which by the sounds of thing is something you're not looking to do).

A rate of two-three pounds per month is fine, of which 1.5-2 will be muscles, but if you're for an example gaining a pound every week - half of your gains is just fat.
So just eat healthy, good, and enough for you to gain an appreciate amount of muscles with minimal fat while monitoring your body. If you're gaining too much weight and/or fat, then simply cut down on your daily calorific intake.

I'm starting to agree with Shogun. I'm obviously not having my weight fly off, but I'm looking better and getting stronger by really cleaning up my diet. If I stall I could eat a little extra and see if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think as someone who was on the heavier side for most of my teen years I've been always worried that I'll slip back into that. Sounds like I should slowly increase my caloric intake, try and keep it clean, and continue to lift heavy things repeatedly.

Mark1

If I do incorporate runs into my routine, would it affect my BMR at all? I only plan to run on Sundays each week.

Zoe

I was serious.

You need to do something more intense than just sit-ups to build abs. By themselves, sit-ups are mostly cardio.

APF

If I do incorporate runs into my routine, would it affect my BMR at all? I only plan to run on Sundays each week.

It won't affect your BMR but it will affect your caloric expenditure. BMR is more what your body will burn normally at rest. Exercising will burn additional calories, eg increase caloric expenditure, and for a short time (usually under an hour, depending on the exercise) afterwards will elevate "resting" (in reality post-exercise you're still going to be in an elevated state as your body slowly returns to rest) caloric expenditure as well, but that's not the same thing as increasing your metabolism itself.

I was serious.

Building more muscle is a bit harder than that. Sets of 30 are gonna do more for muscular endurance than size.

Pick a harder ab exercise like planks or leg-lifts. Do some pushups and squats too.

People think you're trolling because this is an incredibly stereotypical "I dont know anything about exercise yet" question, to the point where if someone wanted to troll a fitness forum they would consider it. situps are a pretty poor exercise because even though it's easy to do a bunch of them and "feel the burn," that burn doesn't actually translate to long-term progress.

lenovox1

I was serious.

What fredrancour said. If you want to build strength and muscle with a bodyweight only routine, you're going to have to do something tougher than a sit up routine alone. Also, I wasn't lying about the Tabata and the other bodyweight training protocols.

And to add, If I've got about 10-20 minutes of energy, I love going to https://bodeefit.com and doing the daily workout they've got posted. Three different bodyweight only movements that are done in a high intensity fashion and are designed to ring out every last bit of effort in your entire body. Very fun challenge. They also have a Windows 8 and Windows Phone app.

Gruco

Banned
Failed at squats for the first time on 215. Not terribly surprised given how brutal 210 felt - not even sure I was fully recovered from that. Frustrating nonetheless. Got the first set in fine, then did one rep one the second and then just refused to keep going down.

On the plus side, I managed to pull off 95 OHP, which I failed last week. Well, I did have sloppy form on the last rep of the last set, but I still think I am going to try 100 next time, which is a pretty exciting milestone.

Gains are slowing big time, which is in part probably expected since I got the easiest ones, but I also attribute a lot to the stress and distraction of moving over the last week leaving me at sub-optimal recovery.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I agree with shogun.

Well this just got me to weigh myself and I've weighed about 134 lbs for years since high school and it no matter what I did I always weighed the same. Today just checked after waking up and I weigh about 140-141 after 3 months of SS and currently doin Greyskull.

abuC

I think I'm going to give 405 BB bench a shot before the end of the year, I'm handling 315-355 with relative ease for reps on incline and decline, and 150-155s on DB flat bench. It's more for my ego than anything else, those four plates have been my target for a while even though I've sort of abandoned flat BB bench.

And despite being on the Ultimate Diet 2.0, I've gained size in my chest, gone up quarter of an inch since I started.

was a beast today

Played a game of 21 and then hit PR's on squat, deads and bench.

My ass is gonna drink protein drinks and play videogames the rest of the day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Big day for me! Since I started lifting at 13 my goal was to bench 2x my body weight. Well, today I did it! 184.5 this morning and put up 370! I'm jacked up beyond belief right now! :)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I just realized that I started SS but I never set any goals for myself. I'm 6'1 185lb.

Would lifting:

1.5x BW DL
1x BW Bench
1.25x BW Squats
.6x BW OHP

By sometime early next year seem to be reasonable goals for a starter?

Noema

I just realized that I started SS but I never set any goals for myself. I'm 6'1 185lb.

Would lifting:

1.5x BW DL
1x BW Bench
1.25x BW Squats
.6x BW OHP

By sometime early next year seem to be reasonable goals for a starter?

It's not only reasonable. It's about what you should be getting for at least 1RM by the end of your linear progression if you do the program right.

Imm0rt4l

Big day for me! Since I started lifting at 13 my goal was to bench 2x my body weight. Well, today I did it! 184.5 this morning and put up 370! I'm jacked up beyond belief right now! :)

Good shit man!

I think I'm going to give 405 BB bench a shot before the end of the year, I'm handling 315-355 with relative ease for reps on incline and decline, and 150-155s on DB flat bench. It's more for my ego than anything else, those four plates have been my target for a while even though I've sort of abandoned flat BB bench.

And despite being on the Ultimate Diet 2.0, I've gained size in my chest, gone up quarter of an inch since I started.

I want to try 3 plates on incline soon, maybe in the power rack. 4 plates is the ultimate goal. Good luck.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anything wrong with eating sweet potatoes raw (with the skin)? Got them at Trader Joe's if it makes a difference.

I find when I'm pressed for time I just dice 'em and eat them like carrots.

Anything wrong with eating sweet potatoes raw (with the skin)? Got them at Trader Joe's if it makes a difference.

I find when I'm pressed for time I just dice 'em and eat them like carrots.

I'd still wash/scrub the outside just a bit since potatoes in general tend to have a bit of dirt on them, but otherwise, nothing wrong with it, even raw/uncooked. I bake regular and sweet potatoes all the time, then just put a small amount of ketchup in a bowl and dip the entire potato into it and eat it; I don't even bother cutting it.

velociraptor

Guys is there any difference between rubber and cast iron weight plates?

I currently have cast iron weight plates but they're beginning to annoy me. Everytime I touch the plate, my hands pick up a lot of the paint from the weight plate. Don't understand why it's happening but oh well. D:

Cooter

Guys is there any difference between rubber and cast iron weight plates?

I currently have cast iron weight plates but they're beginning to annoy me. Everytime I touch the plate, my hands pick up a lot of the paint from the weight plate. Don't understand why it's happening but oh well. D:

Difference as in total weight? umm...there shouldn't be. Sounds like you have just encountered some cheap weights.

abuC

Came in last!

But the jumper wasn't falling, no physical limitations.

Small victories.

Word, but if the jumper isn't falling and it's 21, it's time to play grown man "Ain't no fouls" type of ball.

I want to try 3 plates on incline soon, maybe in the power rack. 4 plates is the ultimate goal. Good luck.

Thanks, I can rep 315 on incline now, have even gotten 335 up a few times too. I think I can do 405, not 100% sure but I'm going to give it a shot when I'm bulking, I came really close last year when I was in the 250s and I'm stronger now at a lower weight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Nice man, but wtf at no video?

You let me down cooter, you let me down.

Cooter

Nice man, but wtf at no video?

You let me down cooter, you let me down.
I can't video every Shogun! I only decided to attempt it this morning and because the kids club was closed my wife had to stay home with the kids. I'll see what I can do in the future I'll definitely video the 475 squat and 500 deadlift attempt in the coming weeks.

Imm0rt4l

Met this dude at the gym that I see all the time, he has huge arms . I was surprised that his arms actually measure the same as mine but because he has this ectomorph frame they look huge on him. He competes in physique and was certain I was a bodybuilder. That felt nice to hear cuz his physique was ace at something like 8 weeks out. I think I'd rather just try powerlifting next year.

Today was my push day, tomorrow legs. I think the trick to mitigating Dom's on legs is less accessory work after squatting.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can't video every Shogun! I only decided to attempt it this morning and because the kids club was closed my wife had to stay home with the kids. I'll see what I can do in the future I'll definitely video the 475 squat and 500 deadlift attempt in the coming weeks.

I'm a sad panda. There's nothing cooler than actually watching someone smash a PR.

Either way, that's a fucking solid benchpress.

I'm a sad panda. There's nothing cooler than actually watching someone smash a PR.

Either way, that's a fucking solid benchpress.

I've been meaning to get a mount of some sort so I can easily self tape. My PRs wouldn't be anything exciting compared to what gets posted here regularly, but it would still be a nice visual history as I progress.

I've switched over to a thumbless grip for my OHP as well as bench in an attempt to avoid developing elbow/wrist issues.

What was that alternative grip for deadlifts called?
Something about the thumb against your other fingers, can't recall the exact positioning.

Congrats Cooter!

Cooter

I've switched over to a thumbless grip for my OHP as well as bench in an attempt to avoid developing elbow/wrist issues.

What was that alternative grip for deadlifts called?
Something about the thumb against your other fingers, can't recall the exact positioning.

Congrats Cooter!

Thanks Squiddy! Thank you everyone. I may experiment with a thumbless OHP. I need all the help I can get. That 225 continues to taunt me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom