• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

I've switched over to a thumbless grip for my OHP as well as bench in an attempt to avoid developing elbow/wrist issues.

What was that alternative grip for deadlifts called?
Something about the thumb against your other fingers, can't recall the exact positioning.

Congrats Cooter!
Hook grip

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's it, thanks, will do that in the future.

Put tape on your nails and I hope you have a good pain tolerance, lol.

Thanks Squiddy! Thank you everyone. I may experiment with a thumbless OHP. I need all the help I can get. That 225 continues to taunt me!

Thumbless (at least to me) feels like it puts the bar in the groove more easily and allows for a far more explosive lift.

I really wish I could do it and feel "safe" doing it for BP.

I've been meaning to get a mount of some sort so I can easily self tape. My PRs wouldn't be anything exciting compared to what gets posted here regularly, but it would still be a nice visual history as I progress.

Doesn't matter how it compares to everyone else.

1. It gives you a chronicle you can actually look at and compare.

2. It keeps you honest.

3. It shuts the naysayers up.

4. It actually works to motivate you. You get a little more "oomph" knowing it's being recorded.

Put tape on your nails and I hope you have a good pain tolerance, lol.

Yeah, lol, saw the pictures after a google search:

ryansthumb_lg.jpg

Exis

Did 3 45's a side on my squat to day and two on my deadlift!

I am not sure how long it will take me to move up much more on the squats, yet I know that one day this won't feel heavy. Just like 225 now feels like 135 did and 135 feels like I'm simply using the bar.

I know I can do more on my deads though, if only my grip strength held out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I am not sure how long it will take me to move up much more on the squats, yet I know that one day this won't feel heavy. Just like 225 now feels like 135 did and 135 feels like I'm simply using the bar.

Just make sure you're hitting depth. 90% of the people I see that squat don't hit or even come close to depth but actually think they are hitting it.

You're gonna get pissed off when you realize your 1RM is a giant lie and have to start over.

As for grip, high rep deads, shrugs, farmer carries, pullups, heavy rows etc ALL contribute to grip. Stay away from straps as much as possible, but don't avoid them completely.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just make sure you're hitting depth. 90% of the people I see that squat don't hit or even come close to depth but actually think they are hitting it.

You're gonna get pissed off when you realize your 1RM is a giant lie and have to start over.

As for grip, high rep deads, shrugs, farmer carries, pullups, heavy rows etc ALL contribute to grip. Stay away from straps as much as possible, but don't avoid them completely.

I had to get myself taped doing squats before realizing my form was ok. Now I know when I'm going low enough and after squatting heavy, I can barely walk lol. Also it is pretty amazing how many people don't squat low enough at the gym. Like 9/10 people barely bend their knees or get a 1/8 squat while loading up on plates like there's no tomorrow. Also see guys with some weird grip like having their wrists completely under the bar or having their grip all way to the weights without even really gripping the bar.

Noema

What sort of grip are you using? If you fail to lift the bar with double overhand switch to mixed grip (use an underhanded grip with your weaker hand).

And like Shogun said, make sure you're hitting depth on your squats.

In other news, Episode 3 of the Starting Strength Podcast is up.

iTunes Link

Ripclawe

Banned
bleh, I was stuck on a 270 pound plateau on a 2400 cal a day routine months and decided at least for August to hit it up to 2700 in case I was eating too little..... gained 4 pounds but

going down to 2300. what is irritating is I know its not muscle gain.

Also see guys with some weird grip like having their wrists completely under the bar or having their grip all way to the weights without even really gripping the bar.

saw this last week thinking this can't be safe. He was pressing at least 315.

abuC

I don't know when it happened, but I've reached a point where I no longer need my food to taste great, it can be flat out bland and it doesn't even matter anymore. Has this happened to anyone else?

If something tastes nasty I just pour sriracha on it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so my first day of doing that Starting Strength, or Stronglifts of whatever the hell it's called.

Bench press: 3 sets of 10 at 65 lbs.
Pull ups: 3 sets of 8
Squats: 3 sets of 5 at 100 lbs.
Dead lifts: 1 set of 5 at 50 lbs.

The deadlifts I know I could have gone a good bit higher but I was trying to get my form right first. Probably the type of lift I'm scared of the most. The squats are about 10 lbs. higher than from last time, so that's good, I guess! (and good god, squats are a goddamned bitch, son!)

So I know we're supposed to increase our weights every time we work out, but what do I do if it turns out to be too heavy?

_Isaac

What sort of grip are you using? If you fail to lift the bar with double overhand switch to mixed grip (use an underhanded grip with your weaker hand).

And like Shogun said, make sure you're hitting depth on your squats.

In other news, Episode 3 of the Starting Strength Podcast is up.

iTunes Link

I've seen these linked a few times. Does anybody actually like these? I haven't listened to a full episode yet, but I typically don't like podcasts with a single person just talking at you.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't know when it happened, but I've reached a point where I no longer need my food to taste great, it can be flat out bland and it doesn't even matter anymore. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yup. You have shifted to a mindset of eating food for survival rather than doing so as a reward or escape. Congrats. At this point you can pretty much transform your body into whatever you want. Get to work!

_Isaac

Oh hell no. Not even close. Food is the highlight of my day really. It's the only good thing in my life. Sometimes, I get a gross meal, and I get depressed.

Nelo Ice

Banned

I usually only do that when I'm too lazy to prep something. And I used to do that all the time when I thought cooking was impossible. But I actually enjoy cooking and making new stuff. Most of the stuff I've made has been delicious and easy to make. Figure may as well enjoy my food if I have the time and the variety helps too.

Noema

Okay, so my first day of doing that Starting Strength, or Stronglifts of whatever the hell it's called.

Bench press: 3 sets of 10 at 65 lbs.
Pull ups: 3 sets of 8
Squats: 3 sets of 5 at 100 lbs.
Dead lifts: 1 set of 5 at 50 lbs.

The deadlifts I know I could have gone a good bit higher but I was trying to get my form right first. Probably the type of lift I'm scared of the most. The squats are about 10 lbs. higher than from last time, so that's good, I guess! (and good god, squats are a goddamned bitch, son!)

So I know we're supposed to increase our weights every time we work out, but what do I do if it turns out to be too heavy?

Well, first of all, all the lifts are done 3 sets of 5, except the deadlift, which is done 1x5. If you do 3x10 like you did on bench you are doing the program wrong.

Secondly, there's an specific order to the lifts: squats should be done first. So on workout A it looks like this:

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B

Squat 3x5
Overhead press 3x5
Chin-ups / pull-ups 3x failure
Eventually power cleans 5x3

You need to add weight to the bar on every lift every workout. That's the most crucial thing to the workout. Usually you'll add 10lb to the deadlift and squat and 5lb to the press and the bench. You should be able to keep this up for several weeks (since every workout you are getting stronger, provided you eat plenty and rest plenty) so don't worry about this for now. Just make sure to add weight to the bar. For example, a friend of mine who's also doing the program squatted 95lb 3x5 on his first session 3 weeks ago. Today he squatted 175lb 3x5, so as you can see strength progresses very fast if you do the program correctly.

Make sure your squats are deep and that all your exercises are done with a full range of motion and if you like you can post a form check so we can help you with your form on squats and deadlifts.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, first of all, all the lifts are done 3 sets of 5, except the deadlift, which is done 1x5. If you do 3x10 like you did on bench you are doing the program wrong.

Yeah, I misremembered the proper instructions.

Secondly, there's an specific order to the lifts: squats should be done first. So on workout A it looks like this:

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B

Squat 3x5
Overhead press 3x5
Chin-ups / pull-ups 3x failure
Eventually power cleans 5x3

Oh, interesting. That'll probably help, haha.

You need to add weight to the bar on every lift every workout. That's the most crucial thing to the workout. Usually you'll add 10lb to the deadlift and squat and 5lb to the press and the bench. You should be able to keep this up for several weeks (since every workout you are getting stronger, provided you eat plenty and rest plenty) so don't worry about this for now. Just make sure to add weight to the bar. For example, a friend of mine who's also doing the program squatted 95lb 3x5 on his first session 3 weeks ago. Today he squatted 175lb 3x5, so as you can see strength progresses very fast if you do the program correctly.

Holy shit...o_0

Does your friend's physique look noticeably different?

Make sure your squats are deep and that all your exercises are done with a full range of motion and if you like you can post a form check so we can help you with your form on squats and deadlifts.

Cool beans, thanks for the advice!

SeanR1221

I've been this way for a while. My usual lunch is plain chicken, a dark green vegetable cooked in a tiny bit of butter and sriracha

Oh man, this is getting annoying. I never have a decent spotter when I'm benching. Last week the gym was a ghost town when I was benching so had to stop a rep too early. This week I had a spotter on my last 5+ set but the dude assisted me way too early and gave me a spot on my last two reps even though I specifically told him not to help until I say so....

And speaking of benching. Congrats Cooter! 2 x bodyweight is a huge accomplishment. I would have to bench 427lb to achieve the same. Oh well, only 150 lb to go...

Just something that struck me while watching Rippetoe videos... why is he working with Crossfit?

Here I thought the Crossfit mentality would put off someone so peculiar about correct form.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just something that struck me while watching Rippetoe videos... why is he working with Crossfit?

Here I thought the Crossfit mentality would put off someone so peculiar about correct form.

The Crossfit mentality is not shared across the board. It's just a name to slap onto your thing. If Rip's found a good one, then it's a good one for sure. They can vary a lot. I learned all this from theytookourjobs!

despire

AFAIK he used to be affiliated with Crossfit in like 2006 or something. He was brought on board to instruct the barbell lifts. He left at some point, probably when he discovered how asinine things were.

There's just a lot of instructional videos floating around from that time.

He's not working with CrossFit anymore. Here's what he said about CrossFit last year:

I tried CrossFit for 2 years. It exacerbated my injuries, produced some significant health problems, forced me to rationalize the illogic of the program in public, and set my strength back about 5 years. I'm just now recovering. So I'll be more careful in the future about trying things that actually make no fucking sense.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't question Rip! He's one of the Gods of Mount Olympus along with Scooby and Zyzz.

Also, man, DarthWufei is upsetting me with how much time he's able to put into FFXIV. I'll catch you someday brah.

Cooter great job! Reaching that milestone has to be a fantastic feeling!

Still in full blown eat eat eat mode. I'm sure I'm going to put on a few more lbs of fat than I want but whatever. I can just lose it later. Need them gains.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cooter great job! Reaching that milestone has to be a fantastic feeling!

Still in full blown eat eat eat mode. I'm sure I'm going to put on a few more lbs of fat than I want but whatever. I can just lose it later. Need them gains.

Just remember you can't out-workout a shit diet!

rando14

Don't question Rip! He's one of the Gods of Mount Olympus along with Scooby and Zyzz.

Also, man, DarthWufei is upsetting me with how much time he's able to put into FFXIV. I'll catch you someday brah.

Hah darth's playing FFXIV? How is the game, I've been trying to watch videos and it looks great but I dont think I have the time for it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hah darth's playing FFXIV? How is the game, I've been trying to watch videos and it looks great but I dont think I have the time for it

I'm really enjoying it, but I say that about most MMOs at the start. It takes time to see where the game falls short. It might be a reasonable contender to FFXI. I just can't say for sure. Shit's been fun though. Darth's like level Flexin' and I'm level Wimpy, so I have work to do.

Just returned from my first workout: I haven't started with the OP routine like I wanted, the instructor in the gym made a list of exercises and helped me the entire time. I started with a 15 minute walk (I thought they were going to let me run for a bit, but when I asked they said that it wasn't necessary), then I had to do three sets of 15 standing leg curl, lat pull down (25-25-30 Kg), pectoral machine (30-30-35 Kg), triceps extensions and crunch.

Except for the last two, everything went just fine, the right arm is a bit more sore than the left one (I was having some troubles at the end of the triceps extensions). The guy said that I'm going to have to follow this routine for 4 weeks and then we'll go into squats and deadlifts.

Petrie

Banned
Just returned from my first workout: I haven't started with the OP routine like I wanted, the instructor in the gym made a list of exercises and helped me the entire time. I started with a 15 minute walk (I thought they were going to let me run for a bit, but when I asked they said that it wasn't necessary), then I had to do three sets of 15 standing leg curl, lat pull down (25-25-30 Kg), pectoral machine (30-30-35 Kg), triceps extensions and crunch.

Except for the last two, everything went just fine, the right arm is a bit more sore than the left one (I was having some troubles at the end of the triceps extensions). The guy said that I'm going to have to follow this routine for 4 weeks and then we'll go into squats and deadlifts.

This guy is an idiot. Ditch him.

He isn't an instructor, he's a minimum wage moron without a clue.

You don't need to spend 4 weeks on machines before your body is ready for barbell lifts.
3 sets of 15 reps isn't really conductive either to growth in size/strength of your muscles.

sphinx

the piano man
Then watch as he teaches you the main compounds only to bring you back to machines a week later and change routines and goals every month or so.

We don't want to discourage you, it's great you decided to get fit but there is a lot to learn.

Just returned from my first workout: I haven't started with the OP routine like I wanted, the instructor in the gym made a list of exercises and helped me the entire time. I started with a 15 minute walk (I thought they were going to let me run for a bit, but when I asked they said that it wasn't necessary), then I had to do three sets of 15 standing leg curl, lat pull down (25-25-30 Kg), pectoral machine (30-30-35 Kg), triceps extensions and crunch..

Yeah, this is a terrible beginner's routine. I seriously have no clue why any trainer would use a program like this to "prepare" someone for squatting and other compound exercises.

Does anyone have a link to the paper/article of the study showing that taking steroids and not working out built more muscle than not taking steroids and working out? It was discussed on GAF in a different topic a few weeks or maybe a month ago, but I'm having issues finding it now.

This guy is an idiot. Ditch him.

He isn't an instructor, he's a minimum wage moron without a clue.

You don't need to spend 4 weeks on machines before your body is ready for barbell lifts.
3 sets of 15 reps isn't really conductive either to growth in size/strength of your muscles.

Then watch as he teaches you the main compounds only to bring you back to machines a week later and change routines and goals every month or so.

We don't want to discourage you, it's great you decided to get fit but there is a lot to learn.

Yeah, this is a terrible beginner's routine. I seriously have no clue why any trainer would use a program like this to "prepare" someone for squatting and other compound exercises.

Got it. I'll talk to him on Thursday and see if we can shorten times or delete right away the routine and start a new one, this time with squats and deadlifts right from the beginning.

Petrie

Banned
Nah, they usually have a clue. They're just chasing the profit.

Most of them have little to no training and really don't have a clue.

Got it. I'll talk to him on Thursday and see if we can shorten times or delete right away the routine and start a new one, this time with squats and deadlifts right from the beginning.

You don't want to be trained by someone who suggested what he does. Either find a new reputable trainer or ditch the trainer entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom