• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alrighty, much appreciated Noema. The hard truth is good to know. I'll take the advice and deload to 105 lbs. Will try to get another video with hopefully much better form.

You'll get there brother!

We're all really fortunate to have Noema here. His knowledge is awesome and helps so many of us who listen. Noema, here's to you brother. You're a great guy, and we all appreciate the time you take helping.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You'll get there brother!

We're all really fortunate to have Noema here. His knowledge is awesome and helps so many of us who listen. Noema, here's to you brother. You're a great guy, and we all appreciate the time you take helping.
Seriously, thx for all the help Noema. I wasn't sure if my squats were right until i pmed Noema about them and was relieved to hear I was doin low bar squats but with the bar in high bar position. Have since fixed it and my squats have felt great ever since. I really should tape myself doin deads sometime too and get that checked out.

abuC

Down 3lbs since last week, and strength is still where it was when I started, veins are starting to appear everywhere.

I-hate-u

SwoleGaf, I wanted to get you opinion on pyramid (ramp up the weight/decrease reps) vs straight sets. I heard the pyramid sets helps in attaining both Myofibrillar Hypertrophy and Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy but I am not sure. I like to do 5 working sets for my exercises so straights sets would mess me up.

Boem

Hi everyone,

First off, some background info: I'm 25 years old, male, 1.83m and I weigh 70kg (sorry US-guys, I'm from Europe). I've lead a very inactive lifestyle for the last couple of years and I'm trying to change all that. I'm not exactly fat, and I'm not overweight, but I do have a bit too much bellyfat and my arms/shoulders/chest are way too skinny. Not a very attractive look, as you can imagine. Problem is, I work two jobs (both desk-jobs so I'm sitting on my ass all day) and have very little time to work out, and going to the gym isn't really an option for me (mostly financially). I start at 10 every morning, so that gives me about 2-3 hours to work out every day. I've been cycling for about 1, 2 hours every day for the last couple of weeks, and while that isn't much of a workout I have been noticing small improvements (my stomach is slowly getting back to normal and I've been sleeping better/feeling more energized during the day). I really need to do some proper workout sessions next to that though, to work on my chest, shoulders, back and arms. All I have is a set of dumbbells (2x3kg), and I've been looking for a set of exercises I can do every day. I know I'll never get the Chris Hemsworth-look with just this, but it's all I can do at this point in time. Buying additional equipment or a gym membership is out of the question for me, at least for the next couple of months. All I'm hoping to achieve in the meantime is a more healthier, normal 25-year old body.

So yeah, I was hoping someone could point me toward a set of excercises that makes sense for me, and maybe someone can tell me if what I'm doing right now will make any difference at all or if I'm just wasting my time. Like I said, I don't necessarily want to look like a Greek god, but I do want to increase the size of my shoulders/arms/back/chest, and decrease my bellyfat. I've also changed my diet, but that was mostly focused on losing that fat. Not sure how I should change it to account for my upper body - all the advice I've read online on diet suggestions are mostly for people doing the really heavy workout sessions.

I hope that wasn't too long. Thanks!

sphinx

the piano man
Germany? You have a food that's a dirty bulker's dream - Currywurst

yeah we've got that, all kinds of sausages but they aren't really that bad, one krakauer or one currywurst is basically one mid-day snack and it isn's exactly cheap so as to eat several of those per day, costs 2.20 euros the piece.

I really wished we had "all you can eat" menus.

my best bet is to buy good food and eat a lot of it at home...even if I have to cook and clean 3 times a day -_-

My buddies gf had an accident squatting today and broke her arm in multiple places. :( My wife was spotting her and the bar slipped behind her and down her back. Apparently she didn't let go and it snapped her arm. We thought she dislocated her elbow but unfortunately it was much worse. Poor thing. Lesson.....let go of the damn bar!

squats accidents must be the worst and most horrifying of them all.

what happens if you are using a normal rack, take several steps back, proceed to do reps, fail on one and you fall forward? wouldn't the weight crush your skull or neck?

I am NEVER doing heavy squats anywhere else but a power rack, with proper safety bars. I still have to practice how to let go the bar though.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hi everyone,

First off, some background info: I'm 25 years old, male, 1.83m and I weigh 70kg (sorry US-guys, I'm from Europe). I've lead a very inactive lifestyle for the last couple of years and I'm trying to change all that. I'm not exactly fat, and I'm not overweight, but I do have a bit too much bellyfat and my arms/shoulders/chest are way too skinny. Not a very attractive look, as you can imagine. Problem is, I work two jobs (both desk-jobs so I'm sitting on my ass all day) and have very little time to work out, and going to the gym isn't really an option for me (mostly financially). I start at 10 every morning, so that gives me about 2-3 hours to work out every day. I've been cycling for about 1, 2 hours every day for the last couple of weeks, and while that isn't much of a workout I have been noticing small improvements (my stomach is slowly getting back to normal and I've been sleeping better/feeling more energized during the day). I really need to do some proper workout sessions next to that though, to work on my chest, shoulders, back and arms. All I have is a set of dumbbells (2x3kg), and I've been looking for a set of exercises I can do every day. I know I'll never get the Chris Hemsworth-look with just this, but it's all I can do at this point in time. Buying additional equipment or a gym membership is out of the question for me, at least for the next couple of months. All I'm hoping to achieve in the meantime is a more healthier, normal 25-year old body.

So yeah, I was hoping someone could point me toward a set of excercises that makes sense for me, and maybe someone can tell me if what I'm doing right now will make any difference at all or if I'm just wasting my time. Like I said, I don't necessarily want to look like a Greek god, but I do want to increase the size of my shoulders/arms/back/chest, and decrease my bellyfat. I've also changed my diet, but that was mostly focused on losing that fat. Not sure how I should change it to account for my upper body - all the advice I've read online on diet suggestions are mostly for people doing the really heavy workout sessions.

I hope that wasn't too long. Thanks!

Those dumbbells are too light to do much other than rehab exercises, so if you're looking to avoid spending money in the short term bodyweight exercises would be your best bet. Squats, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges and planks are a good starting point. With the dumbbells, look up exercises such as rear delt flyes, external rotations, iron crosses etc...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If you are doing 3x5 like we discussed yesterday, you are not doing Stronglifts; you are doing Starting Strength. (which you should do as it is the superior program)

You should rest as long as you need in order to complete your reps. At this point of the program 1 or 2 minutes will suffice. As the weights get heavier, longer rest periods will be necessary. I rest up to 8 minutes before a heavy squat or deadlift set.

You need to warm up in this manner. Suppose you are going to squat 100lb.

45lbx5x2 (that is, 2 sets of 5 with just the empty bar)
80lbx3 (1 set of 3)
100lbx5x3 <--- this are your actual work sets

Your warmup sets will get heavier as the weights you use increase. Bascially a warm-up serves the puprose of getting some blood flowing to the joints and muscles, it stretches the bodyparts that will be used in the lift and it also prepares the nervous system for the task of lifting. For example, once you get to a 185lb squat (which should happen in about 4 weeks), your warm-up will look like this:

45lbx5
135lbx3
155lbx2
185lbx5x3

No cool downs.

No ab work needed.

Rest days are called rest days for a reason.

Thanks!

One more possibly stupid question. Power cleans seem similar to dead lifts, except power cleans have one extra step. Is there a reason why the routine is split into dead lifts AND power cleans?

SwoleGaf, I wanted to get you opinion on pyramid (ramp up the weight/decrease reps) vs straight sets. I heard the pyramid sets helps in attaining both Myofibrillar Hypertrophy and Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy but I am not sure. I like to do 5 working sets for my exercises so straights sets would mess me up.

That's essentially what 5/3/1 does.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fit into an XL t-shirt for the first time since high school. My arms and shoulders and chest are blasting out of it. Feels awesome. Reinvigorated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
note: previous to my program I was wearing 3XL shirts. So yeah this is a big jump for me, really happy.

Really interesting read on a writer who did his first cycle. I cant help but feel he embelished at least a bit . But he looked like he's never lifted a day in his life so its possible that he just did everything wrong but I wouldn't know anyways. Dude got all the sides.

Don't do sterons kids

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/may/18/healthandwellbeing.features1

Dat ending

Basically, you pump so much testosterone into your system that you rob your gonads of purpose, they lie dormant for the duration of your steroid cycle. And while I knew this would happen, the physical sensation was beyond horrible. I felt this rude clenching inside my scrotum, like a pair of tiny hands had grasped the spermatic cords and tightened into fists

nonononoo

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Really interesting read on a writer who did his first cycle. I cant help but feel he embelished at least a bit . But he looked like he's never lifted a day in his life so its possible that he just did everything wrong but I wouldn't know anyways. Dude got all the sides.

Don't do sterons kids

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/may/18/healthandwellbeing.features1

Dat ending

I skimmed it, but from what I saw I have to think he over did it and failed to take a PCT during/after.

If people are gonna do that shit they need to get under the guidance of someone who really knows their shit or do the extended research themselves. That's not some shit people should just jump into half assed like people like to do with everything else.

Don't do sterons kids

Dat ending

Week 12, I peak at 240lb. I've packed on 35lb in less than four months.

The stuff dreams are made of.

But damn at that article. Losing all the gains would be my biggest fear. Just a shriveled up little man.

#AllNatural #QuestTo255

SeanR1221

Don't do sterons kids

Dat ending

Jesus. Maybe this will shut Salsa the fuck up.

And I agree he was probably doing some poor programming. He was stuck on the same DB press for 2 years?

abuC

I can't really respect someone that takes roids for aesthetics.

Now, if you're on the verge of getting a multi-million dollar contract from some professional team, I can understand why you'd do it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really respect someone that takes roids for aesthetics.

Now, if you're on the verge of getting a multi-million dollar contract from some professional team, I can understand why you'd do it.

Talent agent comes down to watch you wrasslin' at the local fire station. Says he likes what he sees - but if you could just pack on more muscle quickly, they'd offer you a deal.

That's a tough call for a lot of people who dream of being a wrestler.

SeanR1221

Well yeah if I was gonna be in a movie, sure.

Look at how fast Chris Pratt got into shape for Guaridans of the Galaxy.

chris-pratt-transformation-e1373306605140.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd do it. I have no real reason to now other than my own ego.

But for a movie? Money? Career stuff? Give me all of it.

Especially considering this dude in the article just kinda muddled his way through. Can you imagine how much better optimized things could be if you had hollywood-level advice and plans? Hm.

Imm0rt4l

Well yeah if I was gonna be in a movie, sure.

Look at how fast Chris Pratt got into shape for Guaridans of the Galaxy.

chris-pratt-transformation-e1373306605140.jpg
Didnt that take the better part of a year? He very well could be on cell tech, being Hollywood, I wouldnt fault him. Now Chris Hemsworth in thor going from a twig to jacked in 3 months and subsequently losing his gains is textbook gear.

SeanR1221

Didnt that take the better part of a year? He very well could be on cell tech, being Hollywood, I wouldnt fault him. Now Chris Hemsworth in thor going from a twig to jacked in 3 months and subsequently losing his gains is textbook gear.

Oh it took him that long? For some reason I thought it was quick.

velociraptor

How does he look without gear?

abuC

Don't do sterons kids

Dat ending

Cranial swelling - most often a neanderthal-like ridge forming above the brow -

tumblr_miw7ibO2921r7ye39o1_400.gif

That explains all the gorilla looking dudes at my gym, the guy who benched 495 for reps looks like a shaved pale gorilla. He straight up looks like a caveman with that brow, it all makes sense now.....I assumed he was juicing anyway.

Petrie

Banned
Goddamn, shortcuts sure sound good sometimes.

Goddammit. I need to remember to be patient.

Fuck that. If I could do so without spending my life savings under expert supervision, I'd take those shortcuts in a heartbeat.

You still have to work hard, anyone saying otherwise is fucked.

My primary motivator is aesthetics, even if I make strength my number 1 goal to best achieve that.

Szu

I was wrong he tooks 6 months to lose the weight and build muscle.

That's nothing compared to the Hulk. Banner packs on over half a ton of muscle and over a foot of height in less than a minute. He loses it just as quickly though, unless he keeps the pump going.

Mark1

Is it a big deal if I've missed the past few workouts? I hate missing them. Wasn't feeling well on Monday and certain circumstances occurred as I was heading to the gym today...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a big deal if I've missed the past few workouts? I hate missing them. Wasn't feeling well on Monday and certain circumstances occurred as I was heading to the gym today...

Already? Yes it's a big deal! Consistency is king.

You MUST not miss workouts. Some leeway is fine but you will need to be as consistent as you can be.

Imm0rt4l

tumblr_miw7ibO2921r7ye39o1_400.gif

That explains all the gorilla looking dudes at my gym, the guy who benched 495 for reps looks like a shaved pale gorilla. He straight up looks like a caveman with that brow, it all makes sense now.....I assumed he was juicing anyway.
It's something more prominent in guys on hgh. Then you have genetic freaks who just naturally produce more hgh, a condition called acromegally, think Andre the giant.
That's nothing compared to the Hulk. Banner packs on over half a ton of muscle and over a foot of height in less than a minute. He loses it just as quickly though, unless he keeps the pump going.
Even Banner is constantly chasing the pump. I wish I could look pumped all the time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like missing workouts, but sometimes certain things come up which I can't help.

Well, then you're going to have a tough time with anything that requires discipline. Do your best to not skip entire days.

abuC

It's something more prominent in guys on hgh. Then you have genetic freaks who just naturally produce more hgh, a condition called acromegally, think Andre the giant

Yeah, makes sense since someone with acromegaly has a pituitary gland that is producing too much HGH.

Having read that guys article I can see why someone would take roids, he had been lifting for years and plateaued. I often forget that not everyone has the genetics to really take off with lifting and changing their body.

ACE 1991

Yeah, makes sense since someone with acromegaly has a pituitary gland that is producing too much HGH.

Having read that guys article I can see why someone would take roids, he had been lifting for years and plateaued. I often forget that not everyone has the genetics to really take off with lifting and changing their body.

I have shit genetics for lifting but I'm sticking with it anyhow, I find it very stress relieving. Maybe one day I'll actually look like I know how to pick up a barbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom