• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Believe me I won't.

Alright man. Ultimately you're the judge of what's impossible to get around and what isn't - you really are. It's just very tough when you don't have that kind of consistency. Good luck doing it - because if there's shit you TRULY cannot avoid, that sucks. It just sucks. So, best of luck to you! How often are you going weekly? You're still a beginner, yes? In which case more rest won't hurt much at all, but as you progress you will want to lock in that routine pretty ironclad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
had a cheese steak cheat day ON lift day

them weights aint ready

Cheese steak powered lifts

It's gonna be a cheesy steaky workout

fuck all of you im going to lift now

these straps and traps know no limits

Ugh you're killin me.

My right trapezius is still fucking hurt because I guess I did heavy-ass shrugs too heavy or weird. Waiting for it to feel better is SO FRUSTRATING.

velociraptor

I have shit genetics for lifting but I'm sticking with it anyhow, I find it very stress relieving. Maybe one day I'll actually look like I know how to pick up a barbell.
Same here bro, same here. If you look at me, I just look 'fit'.

Classic ecto though. But I'm in this for the long haul. As long as I make consistent progress where I get better at each stage, I'll be happy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This shit right here.

You fit other stuff in once the workout is complete.

Didn't take long for me to get that mindset. In the past I was always fucking around and in retrospect, wasn't even CLOSE to being serious about gym work compared to how I am once I started SS in earnest.

I had a million excuses. Weirdly enough, one of the things that broke through and made me realize I was making up bullshit excuses was seeing John Cena (of all fucking people...jeez) say "Look guys, if I can make 45 minutes in my CROWDED ASS DAY, you can make it to the gym" that put that shit in perspective for me.

abuC

I have shit genetics for lifting but I'm sticking with it anyhow, I find it very stress relieving. Maybe one day I'll actually look like I know how to pick up a barbell.

That's the way to do it, I'm not sure if I have good genetics or bad, but regardless I'll do it steroid free.

had a cheese steak cheat day ON lift day

them weights aint ready

Tomorrow evening I start my carb load, gonna murder some 5 guys burgers, donuts and frosted mini wheats, although those Cap'n crunch berries been calling my name.

Mark1

Alright man. Ultimately you're the judge of what's impossible to get around and what isn't - you really are. It's just very tough when you don't have that kind of consistency. Good luck doing it - because if there's shit you TRULY cannot avoid, that sucks. It just sucks. So, best of luck to you! How often are you going weekly? You're still a beginner, yes? In which case more rest won't hurt much at all, but as you progress you will want to lock in that routine pretty ironclad.
Well on my way to the gym today I came across some class students who had some difficulties going on and couldn't leave them...ended up being too late to go in the end since if I went I would've missed the last bus which takes me home. On Monday I was feeling ill and would've fainted while doing squats.

Yeah, I workout 3 days a week and run on Sundays. I don't know if I would consider myself to be a beginner since I started working out last October but have had crappy trainer built programmes involving too much cardio. Have had little muscle growth because of it

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well on my way to the gym today I came across some class students who had some difficulties going on and couldn't leave them...ended up being too late to go in the end since if I went I would've missed the last bus which takes me home. On Monday I was feeling ill and would've fainted while doing squats.

Yeah, I workout 3 days a week and run on Sundays. I don't know if I would consider myself to be a beginner since I started working out last October but have had crappy trainer built programmes involving too much cardio. Have had little muscle growth because of it

Hey hey I wasn't demanding you explain yourself! It's all good brah.

The way I see it, you're a beginner until you finish your first BIG and significant program - I don't mean you, but everyone, and myself. I'm still a beginner myself.

You'll make it happen brah I got faith. And illness getting in the way absolutely fucking sucks. You'll get there brother!

SeanR1221

Same here bro, same here. If you look at me, I just look 'fit'.

Classic ecto though. But I'm in this for the long haul. As long as I make consistent progress where I get better at each stage, I'll be happy.

Team endomorph checking in

borderlands_2___salvador_by_mjump-d5gue56.jpg

Who's with me?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still shooting for this:

9x3PDwP.jpg

Even if I fall short, I'm aiming for the stars.

Mark1

Hey hey I wasn't demanding you explain yourself! It's all good brah.

The way I see it, you're a beginner until you finish your first BIG and significant program - I don't mean you, but everyone, and myself. I'm still a beginner myself.

You'll make it happen brah I got faith. And illness getting in the way absolutely fucking sucks. You'll get there brother!
Would it be a good idea to go in and do the Wednesday workout tomorrow?

Petrie

Banned
Didn't take long for me to get that mindset. In the past I was always fucking around and in retrospect, wasn't even CLOSE to being serious about gym work compared to how I am once I started SS in earnest.

I had a million excuses. Weirdly enough, one of the things that broke through and made me realize I was making up bullshit excuses was seeing John Cena (of all fucking people...jeez) say "Look guys, if I can make 45 minutes in my CROWDED ASS DAY, you can make it to the gym" that put that shit in perspective for me.

Cena is a workhorse if nothing else.

You just plan your day with the gym as commitment like your job or anything else top tier. I go at lunch, then do a bit of cardio after work, and the rest of the day is for leisure. On the weekends I hit the gym first thing in the morning so the rest of my day can be free. That's how you get shit done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would it be a good idea to go in and do the Wednesday workout tomorrow?

Sure. Just make sure you adjust your current plan.

I go Sun-Tues-Thurs block myself, but if I have to move my tues to wed, I do my thurs on fri. And now I'm thoroughly confused.

You just plan your day with the gym as commitment like your job or anything else top tier. I go at lunch, then do a bit of cardio after work, and the rest of the day is for leisure. On the weekends I hit the gym first thing in the morning so the rest of my day can be free. That's how you get shit done.

Yup. I plan around it. It helps that my brother comes with me to the gym and I got him into it. We both put some extra accountability into each other so there's no way we're missing a day.

SeanR1221

You're a beginner.

Mark1

Sure. Just make sure you adjust your current plan.

I go Sun-Tues-Thurs block myself, but if I have to move my tues to wed, I do my thurs on fri. And now I'm thoroughly confused.
I was thinking of moving my Friday workout to Saturday and my Monday one to Tuesday. Come semester time I need to see what days are better for this programme. Getting bigger and fitter is one of my MAIN goals in life right now. :)

SeanR1221

That's why weekend lifting is great. Get your ass in early and no rush plus it's less crowded.

Think of your training like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Would you skip those things??

JB1981

he said he was trying to do Strong lifts, not Strating Strength so it's pretty much a given he hasn't read SS..

I don't understand this reaction.

You don't understand my confusion when someone is asking the difference between the Power Clean and the Deadlift? Really?

MjFrancis

Szu

I recently watched this movie:
Return_of_Chen_Zhen_poster-thumb-300xauto-16220.jpg

Return_of_Chen_Zhen.jpg

I'm pretty much aiming fro Donnie Yen's physique. Which I find interesting since when I started working out, I was actually closer to Sammo Hung's physique.

Two ends of the spectrum.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I recently watched this movie:

I'm pretty much aiming fro Donnie Yen's physique. Which I find interesting since when I started working out, I was actually closer to Sammo Hung's physique.

Two ends of the spectrum.

Aiming? But you're already there. The game's over.

Petrie

Banned
That's why weekend lifting is great. Get your ass in early and no rush plus it's less crowded.

Think of your training like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Would to skip those things??

I'd skip the shower before I'd skip the gym.

Priorities.

Petrie

Banned
I did this today. :-X

Woke up, met the missus at the hospital after her shift for breakfast, went to PT, went to the gym, threw some clean clothes on and new deodorant and went to work.

I give zero fucks.

I go workout at lunch in the tshirt and shorts on under my work clothes, then throw my work clothes back on after and apply some deodorant.

Luckily I sell construction stuff so I still look and smell better than all my customers.

Completed week 2 of my first mesocycle for 5/3/1. I was worried I started too light, as I was getting 12+ reps for my final set of my big lefts each training session, but I found a little note in the book that mentions it's almost expected to push for 10+ reps on the final set. I'm enjoying my routine so far, but I'm still adjusting my assistance work. I'm sticking with 3 lifts per training session; the 1 big lift of the day and then two assistance lifts for 3x10-15. I'm enjoying this all so far.

I though this might find an audience here.

A study from ~June of this year provided evidence that intaking twice the recommended daily allowance for protein (so, 1.6 g / kg body weight instead of the RDA of 0.8 g / kg of body weight) may help to reduce muscle loss during periods of short-term weight loss. They go on to suggest that going too far above the 1.6 g/kg level may not improve this benefit any further (they tested up to 2.4 g/kg).

Link to the article/abstract here for those wanting more info.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh lord, the post massage asswhippin' is starting. Beginning to feel like death.

I though this might find an audience here.

A study from ~June of this year provided evidence that intaking twice the recommended daily allowance for protein (so, 1.6 g / kg body weight instead of the RDA of 0.8 g / kg of body weight) may help to reduce muscle loss during periods of short-term weight loss. They go on to suggest that going too far above the 1.6 g/kg level may not improve this benefit any further (they tested up to 2.4 g/kg).

Link to the article/abstract here for those wanting more info.

No offense, but that's kind of always been "understood."

It's cool that there's more research on it though.

Imm0rt4l

Well, the only logical step is to bulk.

I know what's next.
d.jpg
Bolo is a beast. Swimming to Hong Kong, like its a thing to do. Who does that? Bolo. 50 years old in bloodsport and doesnt even look it. I think his son is a bodybuilder as well.

Visceir

What's the opinion here on rack pulls? Don't really enjoy deadlifts but tried rack pulls today and found them rather fun.

Also people here who complain about not having a platform to do deadlifts on, ever thought on just using the squat rack, using smaller sized weights and putting the safety reilings on the lowest level? Dropping the bar then would just make a lot of noise but should be fine otherwise....could even wrap something around the safety bars to dampen the noise. Just a random thought, or would that be really dumb for some reason?

Loving it when I'm starting to see muscles that weren't there before. My upper chest is also filling up rather nicely. More motivation!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's the opinion here on rack pulls? Don't really enjoy deadlifts but tried rack pulls today and found them rather fun.

Also people here who complain about not having a platform to do deadlifts on, ever thought on just using the squat rack, using smaller sized weights and putting the safety reilings on the lowest level? Dropping the bar then would just make a lot of noise but should be fine otherwise....could even wrap something around the safety bars to dampen the noise. Just a random thought, or would that be really dumb for some reason?

Loving it when I'm starting to see muscles that weren't there before. My upper chest is also filling up rather nicely. More motivation!

Rack pulls are a supplemental exercise. You find them more enjoyable because they are easier than real deads and can move more weight. You're exercising your ego.

As for your suggestion for squat rack = DL platform. No.

Petrie

Banned

As Shogun said above, if all you're trying to do is workout that ego, do Rack Pulls to your hearts content. Deadlifts are the primary lift for a reason.

Imm0rt4l

What shogun said. Rack pulls are accessory work for deads. Personally I dont like em but I'll do them if I need some off time from deadlifting since deadlufting is a shit ton more taxing than rack pulls.

Noema

Thanks!

One more possibly stupid question. Power cleans seem similar to dead lifts, except power cleans have one extra step. Is there a reason why the routine is split into dead lifts AND power cleans?

Well, they are very different movements. The deadlift is a slow movement of the ground that stops as soon as the lifter reaches full hip and knee extension.

The power clean is an explosive movement off the floor, which starts as a deadlift, yes, but continues with a jump to drive the bar to the air so that the lifter may catch it on his shoulders (the "rack" position. ) The purpose of the power clean is to teach you to use the strength you have been gaining through the program explosively; in other words it teaches you to manifest that strength as power.

They are basically Ying and Yang: the deadlift is slow, controlled, grindy and lets you use a lot of weight.

The power clean is fast, smooth and explosive.

This is a power clean:

fnXtxeM.jpg

I suggest you get your deadlift to 225lb before you introduce power cleans to the program.

(I had to edit this post like 10 times. Sometimes posting from a phone is like pulling teeth -.-)

Visceir

Obviously it's not as good as effective as deadlifts. Still feels like a good exercise for the back, just not as taxing on legs. Which is fine since I don't really care if my legs lag behind or I don't develope as much strenght as I would with deadlifts. I got squats for legs anyway.

It's not about ego, I don't really care how much I can lift -- that's not my goal. In my case it's either rack pulls or nothing at all since I'm def not going to be doing deadlifts.

Noema

Obviously it's not as good as effective as deadlifts. Still feels like a good exercise for the back, just not as taxing on legs. Which is fine since I don't really care if my legs lag behind or I don't develope as much strenght as I would with deadlifts. I got squats for legs anyway.

It's not about ego, I don't really care how much I can lift -- that's not my goal. In my case it's either rack pulls or nothing at all since I'm def not going to be doing deadlifts.

You can do whatever you like, of course, but in my opinion there's no reason why a novice shouldn't be doing Deadlifts.

And Rack Pulls are not for novices.

Imm0rt4l

I recommend you do them in that case.

Petrie

Banned

Well sounds like you have it all figured out. Why even bother posting if you're just going to disregard advice and do whatever the hell you want?

So you're going to ignore one of the 2 most important lifts. Way to go?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Walk into massage parlor and the MT looks at my arms and chest and says "does anything bother you? You obviously lift."

That's when you yell STUPID QUESTIONS FROM PENCIL NECK GEEKS BOTHER ME

Noema

Here's why I think rack pulls are not for novices if anyone cares:

If you do them light, they are useless, because the ROM is so short they are barely better than doing nothing.

If you do them heavy, they can be dangerous, since a novice doesn't have the joint and lumbar integrity (as well as the technique) a more advanced lifter does and can injure himself severely.

If someone can't deadlift at least 365lbx5 he has no business doing rack pulls.

Cudder

It's all about teaching/training your body/nervous system how to move as a functional, strong unit. Deadlifts and squats are the masters of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom