• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Well sounds like you have it all figured out. Why even bother posting if you're just going to disregard advice and do whatever the hell you want?

So you're going to ignore one of the 2 most important lifts. Way to go?

I'm sharing my thoughts. You in return can share your thoughts, but I don't take everything I hear here as gospel, no need to get butthurt over it. Ultimately I think I have entirely different goals than most of the posters here who chase after huge weights and want to become as big as possible.

I recently watched this movie:
Return_of_Chen_Zhen_poster-thumb-300xauto-16220.jpg

Return_of_Chen_Zhen.jpg

I'm pretty much aiming fro Donnie Yen's physique. Which I find interesting since when I started working out, I was actually closer to Sammo Hung's physique.

Two ends of the spectrum.

Sammo Hung was great in Dragons Forever.

You should try to be more like him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
OHP day. My enemy. Will attempt 70lbs today. I also ordered a squat rack from Amazon, can't wait to step my squats up.

Obviously it's not as good as effective as deadlifts. Still feels like a good exercise for the back, just not as taxing on legs. Which is fine since I don't really care if my legs lag behind or I don't develope as much strenght as I would with deadlifts. I got squats for legs anyway.

It's not about ego, I don't really care how much I can lift -- that's not my goal. In my case it's either rack pulls or nothing at all since I'm def not going to be doing deadlifts.

Great for the traps.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/09/the-great-rack-pull-myth/

As mentioned, more of an accessory lift.

SeanR1221

Here's why I think rack pulls are not for novices if anyone cares:

If you do them light, they are useless, because the ROM is so short they are barely better than doing nothing.

If you do them heavy, they can be dangerous, since a novice doesn't have the joint and lumbar integrity (as well as the technique) a more advanced lifter does and can injure himself severely.

If someone can't deadlift at least 365lbx5 he has no business doing rack pulls.

I agree.

J. Bravo

Deadlift BBB day. Needed 370x3, got 370x5. Then 5x10 at 205. only question is this: I failed the first time I tried, on the first rep. Couldn't even get it up... So I rested some more, tried again, and got it. Counts right? Idk why it wouldn't, just making sure.

Also what are rack pulls?

Petrie

Banned
I'm sharing my thoughts. You in return can share your thoughts, but I don't take everything I hear here as gospel, no need to get butthurt over it. Ultimately I think I have entirely different goals than most of the posters here who chase after huge weights and want to become as big as possible.

No, it's that you aren't at a level where you should be doing such things. If you've been around you'd know my primary goals are aesthetic, but ignoring legs (deadlifts are just as important to legs as squats) will hold you back no matter what your goals are. Once you reach a certain level of strength you can determine how to move forward, but rack pulls on their own are silly, and only working your ego. Assistance work is called that for a reason.

are you going to get rid of bench press and just do tricep pushdowns too?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Obviously it's not as good as effective as deadlifts. Still feels like a good exercise for the back, just not as taxing on legs. Which is fine since I don't really care if my legs lag behind or I don't develope as much strenght as I would with deadlifts. I got squats for legs anyway.

It's not about ego, I don't really care how much I can lift -- that's not my goal. In my case it's either rack pulls or nothing at all since I'm def not going to be doing deadlifts.

You may as well just do pullups then. There are far better things you could be doing than rack pulls.

If you think squats cover the same things as deadlift you're severely mistaken.

"Rackpulls or nothing at all" reeks of a cop out.

That's when you yell STUPID QUESTIONS FROM PENCIL NECK GEEKS BOTHER ME

She was cute as hell though, and she was asking because she needed to know since she was the one performing the massage. ;)

Honestly, I'd like to hear what your goal is and why rack pulls accomplish that goal better than deadlifts. Especially since you said "I don't like deadlifts, but I like rack pulls" as your only argument for doing them initially. Because at this point it seems like you might not even know what your goal is and if you do, you might not know the best way to get there.

But by all means, do you.

How did that massage go btw :p
I honestly prefer massages given by big burly men over small petite women, because the latter don't have anywhere near enough force to properly punch those dense muscles up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How did that massage go btw :p
I honestly prefer massages given by big burly men over small petite women, because the latter don't have anywhere near enough force to properly punch those dense muscles up.

It went great, she said she basically had to break my back down "from scratch." And said we both were going to be sore as hell the rest of the day.

Shogun, was the MT complaining her hands hurt from all dat muscle?

Actually, she did.

She actually said near the end "I feel bad when I work on guys like you, I don't even know if I'm getting to your issues and I end up beat to crap when I'm done."

I told her she was/is doing awesome and way better than my previous MT and she said that was very sweet to say and at the end called me "sweetie." lol.

She was literally propping herself up on the table to put her full weight onto me and eventually using her entire arm as a "foam roller" on my hamstrings back and glutes at the end.

Visceir

No, it's that you aren't at a level where you should be doing such things. If you've been around you'd know my primary goals are aesthetic, but ignoring legs (deadlifts are just as important to legs as squats) will hold you back no matter what your goals are. Once you reach a certain level of strength you can determine how to move forward, but rack pulls on their own are silly, and only working your ego. Assistance work is called that for a reason.

are you going to get rid of bench press and just do tricep pushdowns too?

I'm doing only incline bench right now, I don't do regular bench. Might consider adding decline bench later on if I feel the need to work on my lower chest.

I've seen your pictures and didn't really like the proportions of your body -- if that's what I'll be missing out on then I'm fine with that.

Again, my goal has never been to become huge. I'd still like to look representable and good in a suit.

Obviously I'm not ignoring my legs if I'm still doing squats and other leg exercises. My pants are already getting tight around the thighs area and I don't really care about getting them much bigger.

You may as well just do pullups then. There are far better things you could be doing than rack pulls.

Pullups were the first thing I did today.

I'm doing only incline bench right now, I don't do regular bench. Might consider adding decline bench later on if I feel the need to work on my lower chest.

I've seen your pictures and didn't really like the proportions of your body -- if that's what I'll be missing out on then I'm fine with that.

Again, my goal has never been to become huge. I'd still like to look representable and good in a suit.

Obviously I'm not ignoring my legs if I'm still doing squats and other leg exercises. My pants are already getting tight around the thighs area and I don't really care about getting them much bigger.

Mind posting up a pic of your ideal body?

And I don't know if it was your intention or not but the bolded part comes off as rather rude. To me anyway.

rando14

No need to get personal, we have no tolerance for that here.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I'm saying this as nicely as possible, but you really need to read up on fitness literature.

And what's wrong with Petrie's proportions? He's not out of whack at all. That phrase really confuses me. I think you may be confusing him with someone else.

Petrie actually has come a long way and down a tough road. He's been sculpting his body while having to deal with Diabetes and he's done a fantastic job.

I mean seriously. How are these proportions bad? Look at this stud. Sliced and diced.

1098295_577524871326_1864276223_n.jpg

1150933_577500130906_1662985843_n.jpg

I

Pullups were the first thing I did today.

That really doesn't tell me anything.

Also, lets see some pictures of you.

Petrie

Banned

My pictures aren't some big ripped dude. If you don't even want to have that much muscle, then you should just do cardio and eat better. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but you're ignoring deadlifts is just ignorant.

You must wear stupidly tight pants.

I think you must be mistaking my pics for someone else.

*see above*

That's out of proportion? lolz

I'm saying this as nicely as possible, but you really need to read up on fitness literature.

And what's wrong with Petrie's proportions? He's not out of whack at all. That phrase really confuses me. I think you may be confusing him with someone else.

Petrie actually has come a long way and down a tough road. He's been sculpting his body while having to deal with Diabetes and he's done a fantastic job.

I mean seriously. How are these proportions bad? Look at this stud. Sliced and diced.

1098295_577524871326_1864276223_n.jpg

1150933_577500130906_1662985843_n.jpg

That really doesn't tell me anything.

Also, lets see some pictures of you.

maybe he means that he isnt as strong and as sexy as me which i can understand.

its okay petrie, we can get there together.

sphinx

the piano man
what a weird page.

today I did 203 lbs on HB squat for the first time and took video with the phone, looked good enough and barring one or two reps, all were on parallel, go me.

I am very much in maintenance anyway, I try to eat and sleep but damn, it's hard, It's getting waaaayyyy to busy, have concerts and 25 piano students all of a sudden so I'll have to wait until october to have some peace of mind and take care of progression on the gym.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
what a weird page.

today I did 203 lbs on HB squat for the first time and took video with the phone, looked good enough and barring one or two reps, all were on parallel, go me.

I am very much in maintenance anyway, I try to eat and sleep but damn, it's hard, It's getting waaaayyyy to busy, have concerts and 25 piano students all of a sudden so I'll have to wait until october to have some peace of mind and take care of progression on the gym.

You're gonna get so swole you're gonna smash your peddles and fracture your keys.

At least it sounds like professionally, life is great!

Visceir

Honestly, I'd like to hear what your goal is and why rack pulls accomplish that goal better than deadlifts. Especially since you said "I don't like deadlifts, but I like rack pulls" as your only argument for doing them initially. Because at this point it seems like you might not even know what your goal is and if you do, you might not know the best way to get there.

But by all means, do you.

I already stated on the previous page that I do think that deadlifts are the better exercise. I just don't like doing them and I don't think it's a mandatory thing to do to build a bigger and wider back.

I've want more thickness to my back and rack pulls should serve that goal well.

Again, I'm not saying my way is the best way. But it's the best one for me as if I want to keep my gym going a positive and good experience for myself. If I don't want to do deadlifts then I won't -- simple really. I've happy with my gains and I've done it all without deadlifts.

Shoulders kinda small and core kinda thick, so just the hips to shoulders ratio. It's not like I'm calling him hideous -- just little things that could be better/different.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I already stated on the previous page that I do think that deadlifts are the better exercise. I just don't like doing them and I don't think it's a mandatory thing to do to build a bigger and wider back.

I've want more thickness to my back and rack pulls should serve that goal well.

Again, I'm not saying my way is the best way. But it's the best one for me as if I want to keep my gym going a positive and good experience for myself. If I don't want to do deadlifts then I won't -- simple really. I've happy with my gains and I've done it all without deadlifts.

Shoulders kinda small and core kinda thick, so just the hips to shoulders ratio. It's not like I'm calling him hideous -- just little things that could be better/different.

So you know something will work better, but you refuse to do it, because you simply "don't like it?"

You're not gonna last long lifting if this is your reasoning. The moment you stall you're gonna quit.

He must be referring to me. I can't even scrub my back without the assistance of my wife.

Sounds like a good excuse for shower shenanigans.

Side note. MT made a joke at the end telling me my homework was to "hit my IT bands while they were still lose and warm" then followed up with "Whoops, that's not appropriate in this setting *giggle*"

Awww yeah! Next appointment scheduled! ;)

All-you-can-eat sushi buffet, here I come.

eat

Well, I mean that would make sense, but clearly the dude wasn't wanna get big and well, FE, I hate to tell you, but you're just too bulky.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah. I got too big. Time to quit.

I have to wear garbage bags. Nothing else fits.

rip

How's your belly?

Bigger but I still have visible abs. No problem. Still feel leaner at 242 than I did at 240 in March.

SeanR1221

So you know something will work better, but you refuse to do it, because you simply "don't like it?"

You're not gonna last long lifting if this is your reasoning. The moment you stall you're gonna quit.

Sounds like a good excuse for shower shenanigans.

Side note. MT made a joke at the end telling me my homework was to "hit my IT bands while they were still lose and warm" then followed up with "Whoops, that's not appropriate in this setting *giggle*"

Awww yeah! Next appointment scheduled! ;)

Next up: the fabled happy ending.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've actually seen a guy wear garbage bags at one of my gyms. I can understand that it might work like a budget sweat suit, but...come on.

They actually sell suits like that. The only guys I ever see use them are Wrestlers/fighters cutting for weighin.

Next up: the fabled happy ending.

The thought ran through my head even though it would never happen.

It may sound weird but she seemed "really into" the massage. Made it much more enjoyable for multiple reasons.

Visceir

I think deadlifts are a great exercise and definitely has many positive sides but I don't think it's neccessary to get a bigger, nicer back.

Stall on what? Deadlifts that I'm not doing to begin with?

sphinx

the piano man
You're gonna get so swole you're gonna smash your peddles and fracture your keys.

At least it sounds like professionally, life is great!

let's see what happens :p, I am a bit late to learning (or bringing up to level) one or two pieces for those concerts in October so I am practicing more hours than I should.... plus students, plus eating, plus sleeping,..and keeping track of my numbers on everything, I try to take one step at the time but I REALLY think I will enjoy lifting more after I have more time in October.

He must be referring to me. I can't even scrub my back without the assistance of my wife.

no, he must be refering to me, damn that Squat video I took today, I was thinking about sharing and have someone check my form but no way, my ass is getting really disproportionate, It looks like that of an old fat woman when I am below parallel, lol.

SeanR1221

They actually sell suits like that. The only guys I ever see use them are Wrestlers/fighters cutting for weighin.

The thought ran through my head even though it would never happen.

It may sound weird but she seemed "really into" the massage. Made it much more enjoyable for multiple reasons.

Man I wish I has a hot MT. Last woman I went to was a humongous Russian. Think Zangief.

The time before that my wife and I did a couples massage. The girl was pretty hot. As she was rubbing up my back her boobs kept pressing against my head? Accident? Maybe!
probably
but made my wife jealous enough to say lets find a new place

Wait a minute, we can use the wife for that.

Why was I not informed?

You've missed out on years of back scrubbin'

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's worth the risk.

Always worth the risk. ;)

I think deadlifts are a great exercise and definitely has many positive sides but I don't think it's neccessary to get a bigger, nicer back.

/facepalm

Nevermind.

Man I wish I has a hot MT. Last woman I went to was a humongous Russian. Think Zangief.

The time before that my wife and I did a couples massage. The girl was pretty hot. As she was rubbing up my back her boobs kept pressing against my head? Accident? Maybe!
probably
but made my wife jealous enough to say lets find a new place

You've missed out on years of back scrubbin'

LOL that's hilarious.

Mine isn't "hot" but she's very cute. And only 1 year older than me. Our kids are about the same age too.

Petrie

Banned

Necessary? No. Going to hold you back and make shit take way longer, along with holding back your potential? Yes.

The body works in tandem, it's a system. You can't just ignore a huge part of the system and expect substantial results in any reasonable timeframe.

Shogun's right. Not even worth it. Do you brah.

SeanR1221

Man, I couldn't imagine not wanting to do deadlifts. When I was off them for those couple months it was terrible.

And major props to Sphinx for breaking the 200 barrier!

abuC

Necessary? No. Going to hold you back and make shit take way longer, along with holding back your potential? Yes.

The body works in tandem, it's a system. You can't just ignore a huge part of the system and expect substantial results in any reasonable timeframe.

Shogun's right. Not even worth it. Do you brah.

That's not 100% true though, the Hodgetwins don't do deadlifts, if someones goal is to just build an aesthetic physique they don't need deadlifts.

And I say that as someone that does them, there are too many athletes (specifically boxers) that are in incredible shape that have never done deadlifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom