• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah yeah yeah. I know.

Making good progress though. August 11th my calculated 1rm was 406, today it's 434. I can deal with that.

You can "deal with" that? Dude, that's something to be proud of, don't sell yourself short! What percentage of people that you know personally can say they're capable of lifting 400+ lbs? 1-2%, maybe? You're officially abnormal and I certainly mean that as a compliment.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
lol! More props to you buddy. Maybe is it just my ass then :p

Who knows? I take it as a challenge when I see my calculated 1RM and when maxing make sure to go above it. All day I'm amped and only one thing is on my mind, hitting a certain number! Admittedly I'm a little extreme and neurotic when it comes to certain things though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
hhmmmm I know someone like this. he has huge chest, but considering he's in the military. I wonder if this is before

?!?! Wat?

You can "deal with" that? Dude, that's something to be proud of, don't sell yourself short! What percentage of people that you know personally can say they're capable of lifting 400+ lbs? 1-2%, maybe? You're officially abnormal and I certainly mean that as a compliment.

Seriously. You have to remember what you did today was impossible a week ago.

Not to be a wet blanket or anything but beware of those calculated 1RM. Most of the time you will not hit that number.

I agree, especially the stronger you get (the higher the number is).

Seems kinda risky trying to hit those calculated 1RPMs as well.

Especially if the number is based off of a +5rm.

What are you talking about? Most of the time I can hit more brother!!

This used to be the case for me, the stronger I got the less it applied. They are so out of whack I don't go by them anymore. They are either way too low or way too high. Nothing beats a true 1RM.

J. Bravo

Not to be a wet blanket or anything but beware of those calculated 1RM. Most of the time you will not hit that number.

nah I know that. I just know for a fact I can get 405, because I've done it before (about 3.5 weeks ago I wasn't doing much lifting while preparing my body for basketball tryouts at a junior college, so I figured with my body rested it'd be a good time to test my 1rm). 29 more pounds on there would be a huge deal in less than a month, but it's possible since last week I only did 345 for 5 and that felt heavy as fuck, and today I did 370 for 5.

so what I'm saying is, 434 doesn't seem out of the question, even accounting for being cautious with calc'd 1rms.

Noema

From now on, I propose we all call them Deathlifts, because they are so badass.

deadlift-knockout.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

TrueBlue

I'm probably going to come across as a total noob, which is proably fitting, but what the hell.

I'm restarting uni later this month, and I have plans to join up with the local gym. In the last two years I have lost five and half stone, and now find myself weighing around 11 and a half stone. I'm quite tall, 6'2 to be precise. I now want to move on to gaining muscle and toning up.

In preparation for this, I have bought myself some protein shake, with the intention of that being the starting point into a more protein-based diet. If I was to follow the Full Body workout listed in the OP in conjunction with this diet, would it help me to achieve the goals I previously set out.

Again, sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant, because I am. But I figure this might be the best place on GAF to ask these questions. Nice to meet you all :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm probably going to come across as a total noob, which is proably fitting, but what the hell.

I'm restarting uni later this month, and I have plans to join up with the local gym. In the last two years I have lost five and half stone, and now find myself weighing around 11 and a half stone. I'm quite tall, 6'2 to be precise. I now want to move on to gaining muscle and toning up.

In preparation for this, I have bought myself some protein shake, with the intention of that being the starting point into a more protein-based diet. If I was to follow the Full Body workout listed in the OP in conjunction with this diet, would it help me to achieve the goals I previously set out.

Again, sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant, because I am. But I figure this might be the best place on GAF to ask these questions. Nice to meet you all :)

Don't apologize for seeking information. Your intentions are good. Protein supplementation is great, but get as much as you can from regular food. That said I get about 50% of my protein from shakes. Aim for about 1-2grams of protein per lb of body weight (sorry I don't know stones).

Doing the OP lift and eat and you can't go wrong as you don't overdo it in the eating department. Get plenty of sleep 7+ hours and drink lots of water.

Sounds like my buddy.
His main problem is just not eating enough calories and protein.
Eat plenty of meats, eggs, dairy products, legumes alongside those whey shakes, while you stick to the program, and you should be getting some results at a reasonable pace if you're a beginner.

Covered by Shogun :p
Do check out the nutrition section of the OP, it'll come in handy.

SeanR1221

Yup. If your diet is in check and you follow the routine you'll get results.

Try lots of different foods. I had 227g of protein today and didn't have any whey.

Man, I need to increase my protein intake, but these whey shakes are starting to give me stomach aches and bloating.
Will have to switch over to almond milk I think.

Only got 160ish g of protein today, need more.

velociraptor

Man, I need to increase my protein intake, but these whey shakes are starting to give me stomach aches and bloating.

I only have stomach issues with milk when I take it without whey protein. If I down a cold glass of milk on it's own..... shiiiiiiiiet.

TrueBlue

Don't apologize for seeking information. Your intentions are good. Protein supplementation is great, but get as much as you can from regular food. That said I get about 50% of my protein from shakes. Aim for about 1-2grams of protein per lb of body weight (sorry I don't know stones).

Doing the OP lift and eat and you can't go wrong as you don't overdo it in the eating department. Get plenty of sleep 7+ hours and drink lots of water.

Right. So I;m around 158-160 in lb, so around 158 - 320g of protein is recommended? My math might be wrong.

I should probably also say that on work days, the journey to work and back takes around 4-6 miles of walking. Of course, this will change when I go back to uni. However, should I try and maintain this habit on the days when I'm not working out?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Right. So I;m around 158-160 in lb, so around 158 - 320g of protein is recommended? My math might be wrong.

I should probably also say that on work days, the journey to work and back takes around 7 miles of walking. Of course, this will change when I go back to uni. However, should I try and maintain this habit on the days when I'm not working out?

I would take 160-200 grams of protein. I wouldn't exceed 250grams personally at your weight.

And yes, I would consume this much every day in the way of protein.

rando14

I should probably also say that on work days, the journey to work and back takes around 4-6 miles of walking. Of course, this will change when I go back to uni. However, should I try and maintain this habit on the days when I'm not working out?

I would actually disagree with Shogun, though obviously more protein won't kill you. From what I understand 0.75 g / lb of bodyweight is good enough assuming you're not insanely fat or slim.

Personally I only get about 0.75 and I do fine.

Irobot82

Sweet. Squatted my body weight today.

3x5 @ 200lbs

Also deadlifted 265lbs. Felt great mostly. I tried out hook grip and wow, that takes some getting used to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He hurt his back, hasn't been posting in here since :(

Hurt and playing FFXIV with the rest of us :p

I miss him a lot. He said he's coming back. I told him we miss him. Those fucking delts! Still so envious.

APF

I would actually disagree with Shogun, though obviously more protein won't kill you. From what I understand 0.75 g / lb of bodyweight is good enough assuming you're not insanely fat or slim.

According to the majority of research there's no benefit, even for advanced lifters or lifters on a diet, in going over exactly that amount. Even the reviews that look at the absolute-absolute-max-according-to-margin-of-error don't see any benefit in going over 0.8g/lb.

This is all for natural lifters of course; if you're on AAS your requirements could likely double, which is probably where the larger recommendations are coming from outside of supplement companies trying to sell more product.

Imm0rt4l

Yea unless youre on gear your nutrient partioning isn't going to make use of all the protein. So going above is mostly useless anyways.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, they are very different movements. The deadlift is a slow movement of the ground that stops as soon as the lifter reaches full hip and knee extension.

The power clean is an explosive movement off the floor, which starts as a deadlift, yes, but continues with a jump to drive the bar to the air so that the lifter may catch it on his shoulders (the "rack" position. ) The purpose of the power clean is to teach you to use the strength you have been gaining through the program explosively; in other words it teaches you to manifest that strength as power.

They are basically Ying and Yang: the deadlift is slow, controlled, grindy and lets you use a lot of weight.

The power clean is fast, smooth and explosive.

This is a power clean:

fnXtxeM.jpg

I suggest you get your deadlift to 225lb before you introduce power cleans to the program.

(I had to edit this post like 10 times. Sometimes posting from a phone is like pulling teeth -.-)

Sweets, thanks once again.

So, since Im' no where near being able to deadlift 225 lbs., does that mean I replace the power cleans with dead lifts (for Wednesday's work out)?

Zoe

Sweets, thanks once again.

So, since Im' no where near being able to deadlift 225 lbs., does that mean I replace the power cleans with dead lifts (for Wednesday's work out)?

Practical Programming takes out the power cleans and puts in chin/pull ups.

Cudder

Is it me or does DB bench strength weirdly not correlate to BB bench strength? I switched back to doing BB bench this week and actually struggled a bit doing 3x5 at 185lbs. Felt TERRIBLE. I usually got up to 225x5 before I started doing them with DB's. I was making such good gains with DB's, it sucks it's like I'm set wayback now that I'm on BB's again. :(

abuC

Is it me or does DB bench strength weirdly not correlate to BB bench strength? I switched back to doing BB bench this week and actually struggled a bit doing 3x5 at 185lbs. Felt TERRIBLE. I usually got up to 225x5 before I started doing them with DB's. I was making such good gains with DB's, it sucks it's like I'm set wayback now that I'm on BB's again. :(

How much were you lifting with DBs? I'm the exact opposite, my bb bench is much higher than what I can lift with DBs.

Cudder

How much were you lifting with DBs? I'm the exact opposite, my bb bench is much higher than what I can lift with DBs.

100x5 on DBs. Maybe it's not that heavy, but I progressed from doing 80's on my heavy set to 100's in like 3 months.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

How much do you weigh?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Most people have a higher BB bench. Getting 100s up easier than 185 is definitely unique. Give it some time. If you were getting 225 up in the past you should be back there in no time. Regarding DBs, my gym stops at 150s and when I ask about maybe getting 160s they look at me like I'm Warren Buffet complaining about the sparse selection on the McDonalds $1 value menu. Oh well...

_Isaac

Wow that death lift gif is interesting. I frequently get deadlift dizzies myself. I used to think it was a problem with my breathing, but I think I think I do alright with that. It's just a tiny bit scary sometimes.

abuC

Most people have a higher BB bench. Getting 100s up easier than 185 is definitely unique. Give it some time. If you were getting 225 up in the past you should be back there in no time. Regarding DBs, my gym stops at 150s and when I ask about maybe getting 160s they look at me like I'm Warren Buffet complaining about the sparse selection on the McDonalds $1 value menu. Oh well...

My gym has up to 200s, I have never seen anyone use them for anything other than the occasional sloppy looking 1 arm rows. I've picked one up just to see what it's like and any man that can DB bench 200s should be in the NFL giving people concussions.

I suspect the guy that hit 495 for reps could do it though.

Cudder

Getting the 185BB bench was definitely easier than the 100 DBs, I was just surprised at how heavy it seemed to me. I stopped myself at 5 reps on the 185 because I'm going to be adding weight each week so I started a bit lower than what I'm used to.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My gym has up to 200s, I have never seen anyone use them for anything other than the occasional sloppy looking 1 arm rows. I've picked one up just to see what it's like and any man that can DB bench 200s should be in the NFL giving people concussions.

I suspect the guy that hit 495 for reps could do it though.

Ronnie Coleman, son.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Practical Programming takes out the power cleans and puts in chin/pull ups.

Oh, how I wish you responded sooner. :(

So I'm back from the gym and here's how it went:

Squats: 110 lbs.
Overhead press: 60 lbs.
Dead lifts: 70 lbs.

Was totally thrilled on the squats. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it, but I managed to do so LIKE A BOSS. I feel invincible! 8)

Though, I do have to ask. Since all my exercises today dealt with the back muscles in some way, I suppose it's not surprising that it's kind of sore. However, as long as I'm not in any agonizing pain, I shouldn't have to worry about any serious damage, right?

Sober

So I have NO upper body strength at all, like none. Bench Press? I can maybe put 10 extra pounds on it total. The problem is my left arm is just super uncoordinated or really flailing around. If I try to do nearly anything with a barbell I always end up deviating off to the side here and there, whether it be trying to bench press just the barbell or trying to do preacher curls, eventually most of the work is being done by my right arm.

Not to mention I cannot even do a single pull-up. Is there something I am missing or am I just weak as fuck and need to work on everything?

Oh, how I wish you responded sooner. :(

So I'm back from the gym and here's how it went:

Squats: 110 lbs.
Overhead press: 60 lbs.
Dead lifts: 70 lbs.

Was totally thrilled on the squats. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it, but I managed to do so LIKE A BOSS. I feel invincible! 8)

Though, I do have to ask. Since all my exercises today dealt with the back muscles in some way, I suppose it's not surprising that it's kind of sore. However, as long as I'm not in any agonizing pain, I shouldn't have to worry about any serious damage, right?

Regular old muscle soreness ain't an injury and will diminish during your warmup next time you lift, if you are still sore that day at all.

This depends on your ability to distinguish between muscle soreness and other kinds of pain but I don't think that should be a big deal?

Visceir

So I have NO upper body strength at all, like none. Bench Press? I can maybe put 10 extra pounds on it total. The problem is my left arm is just super uncoordinated or really flailing around. If I try to do nearly anything with a barbell I always end up deviating off to the side here and there, whether it be trying to bench press just the barbell or trying to do preacher curls, eventually most of the work is being done by my right arm.

Not to mention I cannot even do a single pull-up. Is there something I am missing or am I just weak as fuck and need to work on everything?

Probably won't fix all your issues, but I found that I can keep the bar more steady during bench presses when I pick a point on the ceiling to focus on rather than the bar itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom