• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm aiming for right around the same weight, lets get it!

Nope, just trying to be big & strong for no reason, before I started my cut diet I wanted to be built like NFL linebackers and now that I'm approaching the goal weight I'm aiming for that again.

If I can achieve a build similar to Jon Beason I'd be happy, I'm an inch taller and he's 235lbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OQ3tjPsL0 I'll never have traps like that but my chest is already there.

Monster physique. Goddamn.

Nope, just trying to be big & strong for no reason, before I started my cut diet I wanted to be built like NFL linebackers and now that I'm approaching the goal weight I'm aiming for that again.

If I can achieve a build similar to Jon Beason I'd be happy, I'm an inch taller and he's 235lbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OQ3tjPsL0 I'll never have traps like that but my chest is already there.

but what does that have to do with 285...?

this is my ideal physique too btw

moocow

It's so demoralizing seeing how some of my gym buddies grew over the summer, while I shrank. And while I've made good progress, I still have such a long way to go to get back to where I was. 2+ months in and I still can't get excited about my new prs.

abuC

Monster physique. Goddamn.

NFL Linebackers are like the pinnacle of the 6'0" - 6'2" height range.

but what does that have to do with 285...?

this is my ideal physique too btw

Going up to 280s will allow me to pack on as much muscle as I can before cutting down to 235. I've been 260-265 and in the upper teens before, and I was a long way off from being like Beason. I have large bones, and big legs so I can carry more weight without it showing as much, by comparison my calves are monstrous compared to Beason's.

It's so demoralizing seeing how some of my gym buddies grew over the summer, while I shrank. And while I've made good progress, I still have such a long way to go to get back to where I was. 2+ months in and I still can't get excited about my new prs.

time goes by so quickly these days that its pointless to worry about where you aren't

so long as you stay consistent you'll be there in no time

Teggy

Alright, I'm going to up the calories per day by 100 this week, see how I feel each workout, and then go up by another 100 each week based on my lifts and such.

You could always just up it a little at a time and watch the scale. I'm doing recomp now as well at around 1700/2500 and I've found that I'm still slowly losing weight so I might increase the numbers.

Going up to 280s will allow me to pack on as much muscle as I can before cutting down to 235. I've been 260-265 and in the upper teens before, and I was a long way off from being like Beason. I have large bones, and big legs so I can carry more weight without it showing as much, by comparison my calves are monstrous compared to Beason's.

what was your body fat percentage like at 265?

Do you think you'll be able to cut all of that weight while retaining most of the muscle?

Petrie

Banned
You could always just up it a little at a time and watch the scale. I'm doing recomp now as well at around 1700/2500 and I've found that I'm still slowly losing weight so I might increase the numbers.

I think I'm past the point of recomping though. BBB just requires more food.

MrOogieBoogie

Getting to the point where 3000 calories might actually still be below maintenance for me.

Holy fuck. And to think I was eating 1650 at one point.

despire

Moving on to Greyskull...

Just thinking out loud here FitGaF, any input welcome. Here is a comparison shot of me:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l32/Dashel2/Paleo/compare_zps7d4a5107.jpg

On the left I weigh about 172, on the right 185. In between I bulked up to 202 on Starting Strength and cut from there. I'd guess I'm around low to mid teens in the 185 lb picture.

So during SS I focused on my squat disproportionately. I was doing 350 3x5 at one point and it took so much out of me that my other lifts suffered. So now I'm looking to balance my upper body with my lower. I think Greyskull will help with that. Bench and Press as primary lifts... curls, chins and harness.. then squat and DL at the end. I will throw in dips somewhere too because I want to... my arms are kinda sad.

Any thoughts, criticisms, or positive reinforcement welcome.

GSLP is a very good program, can't go wrong with it.

abuC

what was your body fat percentage like at 265?

Do you think you'll be able to cut all of that weight while retaining most of the muscle?

I was 18% a year and a half ago at 261lbs.

DSCN0386_zps7c7be652.jpg

I was in the 255-260 range there over a year ago.

I think the way I carry weight it's going to take a lot for me to reach the goal, and I'll lose mass, but I'm willing to cut over a 6 month period if that's what it takes. I won't be in competition so it can take however long it needs to, I just want to be in that 230-235 range at 10-11% like all these linebackers.

despire

I think the way I carry weight it's going to take a lot for me to reach the goal, and I'll lose mass, but I'm willing to cut over a 6 month period if that's what it takes. I won't be in competition so it can take however long it needs to, I just want to be in that 230-235 range at 10-11% like all these linebackers.

Huh, I always thought you were black o_O

you're making me excited for my bulk

you going clean?

MrOogieBoogie

The guys at the top of the Crossfit world are honestly some of the most impressive athletes on the planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ur7QGmZ6KY

2.1-mile run, followed by what is essentially a 500-pound tire flip (but it isn't a tire, making it far more uncomfortable to handle) over 100-yards, then carrying a 100-pound log for a while, and finally sprinting 66 yards while pulling a 310-pound sled on wet grass... all for time against competition just as good as you.

The guy in front finishes the 2.1-mile run at a pace just over 6 minutes per mile... and that's conserving energy for the INSANE exercises that follow immediately after. I've done one mile in 6 minutes before and felt like I was gonna die.

Don't care who you are, if you're at all a fitness junkie you should find this impressive.

I think by summer of next year, I can hit 235 @ 14% or so. Then focus on a slower bulk/recomp. I say that now but who knows. Maybe get to around 265/270 in February. Then from March on, go on a slow cut? I really have no idea. In any case, the goal of 255/260 by the end of the year is one that I plan to keep then reevaluate from there.

He is #teamcuba

or might be Puerto Rico. Or half and half. I swear he has some Cuban in him.

abuC

Afro-Cuban father (Black) and high yella mother same color as Sade and looks like Whitley from a Different World, my mom obviously has some white in her.

This is my father

He doesn't want his pic on the net so I made the Robocop helmet, and that's no tan lol.

you're making me excited for my bulk

you going clean?

I will probably eat clean for the most part, except for the occasional carb up now that I understand how to do it.

abuC

I think by summer of next year, I can hit 235 @ 14% or so. Then focus on a slower bulk/recomp. I say that now but who knows. Maybe get to around 265/270 in February. Then from March on, go on a slow cut? I really have no idea. In any case, the goal of 255/260 by the end of the year is one that I plan to keep then reevaluate from there.

He is #teamcuba

or might be Puerto Rico. Or half and half. I swear he has some Cuban in him.

I have no idea either, just going to eat and eat and eat until I think I'm at the point where it's time to cut.

#teamcuba is the new NWO.

J. Bravo

How tall are you? Like 6'1"? Right now I'm about 173 and 11% at a shade under 6'. I don't want to get much bigger unless I can keep my quickness on the court- I'm much faster and can jump way higher than I could at 185. But I'd also love to be 185 and 10-11% and keep my quickness.

I think the gym I work at has prowler sleds, so maybe I'll take those out and do some work with those.

abuC

How tall are you? Like 6'1"? Right now I'm about 173 and 11% at a shade under 6'. I don't want to get much bigger unless I can keep my quickness on the court- I'm much faster and can jump way higher than I could at 185. But I'd also love to be 185 and 10-11% and keep my quickness.

I think the gym I work at has prowler sleds, so maybe I'll take those out and do some work with those.

Yes, I'm 6'1".

Start doing box jumps and box squats, you can retain your explosiveness even with added weight, the heaviest I was able to dunk at was 231lbs. Squatting with chains or bands and moving the weight quickly will help your jumping ability.

I've never used a power sled, but I've done car pushes which is the same principle and you will feel it everywhere.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
335lb deadlifts with 200+lbs of band tension for 5 set 5 reps is pretty brutal. The closer I get the more I think I might actually get this 600lbs next week. I have no doubt I'll hit 585 (6 plates) which is a 10lb PR.

Man, I'm getting anxious.

Also, gotta love being an american. 2 QPCs 1 Mc Chicken, 1 small fry for 6 dollars. GET IN MY MOUF!!!!!!!!!

So, um.... what's in your pocket?

I'm past the point where I don't care too much about being athletic on the court. I'm just a dood who hustles, rebounds, and takes up space. I see basketball as another way of staying active and tend to play in the non super competitive leagues.

ScubaD00d

Banned
I'm 230 heaviest I've ever been in my life. 30 lbs ago my baby was born (a year ago) and I've been an eating/drinking machine ever since.

This threat has motivated me to stop

The guys at the top of the Crossfit world are honestly some of the most impressive athletes on the planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ur7QGmZ6KY

2.1-mile run, followed by what is essentially a 500-pound tire flip (but it isn't a tire, making it far more uncomfortable to handle) over 100-yards, then carrying a 100-pound log for a while, and finally sprinting 66 yards while pulling a 310-pound sled on wet grass... all for time against competition just as good as you.

The guy in front finishes the 2.1-mile run at a pace just over 6 minutes per mile... and that's conserving energy for the INSANE exercises that follow immediately after. I've done one mile in 6 minutes before and felt like I was gonna die.

Don't care who you are, if you're at all a fitness junkie you should find this impressive.

Significantly higher weight versus significantly less milage in comparison to the Tough Mudders I've done. I'd love to get to a point where I'm competing at either of those events though.

Yeah except you're a hell of a lot more muscular ;)

Logically, why am I all over the place? Diets in check, I even started eating only between 12-8pm.

I either hold onto an extreme amount of water or something is off

are you taking creatine? that would explain some water weight.

i wish vitamin world took paypal....can anybody link me to a quality protein site/brand that takes paypal? i gotta get off these protein/creatine/AA mixups i buy at the store that probably have too much shit in them.

J. Bravo

Yes, I'm 6'1".

Start doing box jumps and box squats, you can retain your explosiveness even with added weight, the heaviest I was able to dunk at was 231lbs. Squatting with chains or bands and moving the weight quickly will help your jumping ability.

I've never used a power sled, but I've done car pushes which is the same principle and you will feel it everywhere.

How would you suggest incorporating those into 5/3/1? Should I replace the Big But Boring stuff with them on leg days? That would mean doing, say, 5x10 Box Squats at 155 instead of doing 5x10 squats. I'm sure Wendler mentions this kind of thing in his book, but I don't have the book :p

I'm just trying to get back to dunking, period. I broke my leg about 6 months back (compound fracture) in a pretty scary way, and while I'm back to hanging on the rim with 2 hands with just 1 step, it's hard for me to land confidently on my leg. Maybe box jumps will help with that...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 230 heaviest I've ever been in my life. 30 lbs ago my baby was born (a year ago) and I've been an eating/drinking machine ever since.

This threat has motivated me to stop

Every day lift your child over your head. In 18 years you will be in Hoss Mode.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How would you suggest incorporating those into 5/3/1? Should I replace the Big But Boring stuff with them on leg days? That would mean doing, say, 5x10 Box Squats at 155 instead of doing 5x10 squats. I'm sure Wendler mentions this kind of thing in his book, but I don't have the book :p

I'm just trying to get back to dunking, period, again. I broke my leg about 6 months back (compound fracture) in a pretty scary way, and while I'm back to hanging on the rim with 2 hands with just 1 step, it's hard for me to land confidently on my leg. Maybe box jumps will help with that...

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=100098&tid=

ACE 1991

God, I just can't seem to get my Bench past 135x9, I've been stuck here for a while now. Maybe I just need to up my calories? Bulking at 3000 calories. I'm 21 years old at 165lb and 5'8''. On a side note, what what carbs do you guys like to add extra calories? I'm getting sick of whole wheat pasta, bread and brown rice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God, I just can't seem to get my Bench past 135x9, I've been stuck here for a while now. Maybe I just need to up my calories? Bulking at 3000 calories. I'm 21 years old at 165lb and 5'8''. On a side note, what what carbs do you guys like to add extra calories? I'm getting sick of whole wheat pasta, bread and brown rice.

Go for 185 for reps for a bit.

What exactly is your programming/goal?

funny, i was thinking about the carb question earlier when i was eating. i'd add sweet potatoes to that list. as for the bench, perhaps try less reps? how many sets are you doing x9? have you tried 3x5 or something similar where it would be easier to progress to higher weights?

I have no idea either, just going to eat and eat and eat until I think I'm at the point where it's time to cut.

#teamcuba is the new NWO.

damn straight

prince-devitt-humilla-a-tanahashi.gif

cuban cock

1360604560-cameron-poe.gif

In actual gym news, shoulders and traps workout with a buddy of mine. Walked around the track doing shrugs @ 35 lbs and then again @ 45 lbs. Not to mention all the lateral raises, shoulder raises, and various DB shrugs we did. These Versa Grips are amazing. Really can focus on the weight. That being said, there is a lot to correct in my form but hey, I'm learning so that's always a good thing.

OMG broke my plateau. Two months ago I couldn't finished this bench weight no more than 3 reps then I end up doing roll of shame.
I stopped SS and started doing 5/3/1. Today (cycle 2 and week2) I did 5 reps rest then 3 more

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OMG broke my plateau. Two months ago I couldn't finished this bench weight no more than 3 reps then I end up doing roll of shame.
I stopped SS and started doing 5/3/1. Today (cycle 2 and week2) I did 5 reps rest then 3 more

The sweet sound of success.

ACE 1991

Go for 185 for reps for a bit.

What exactly is your programming/goal?

funny, i was thinking about the carb question earlier when i was eating. i'd add sweet potatoes to that list. as for the bench, perhaps try less reps? how many sets are you doing x9? have you tried 3x5 or something similar where it would be easier to progress to higher weights?

I got pretty tired of Strong Lifts, so I'm running this program instead: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

Basically, you do 2 work sets for each exercise on a cycle. At the beginning of the cylce, you do 8 reps for your work set and increase by 1 rep each week for each set until you get to 12. If you are able to do 12 reps for two sets at the end of the cycle, you increase the weights for that exercise by 10%. I really enjoy it, and it's one of the most highly regarded beginner routines on the bodybuilding.com forum.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I got pretty tired of Strong Lifts, so I'm running this program instead: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

Basically, you do 2 work sets for each exercise on a cycle. At the beginning of the cylce, you do 8 reps for your work set and increase by 1 rep each week for each set until you get to 12. If you are able to do 12 reps for two sets at the end of the cycle, you increase the weights for that exercise by 10%. I really enjoy it, and it's one of the most highly regarded beginner routines on the bodybuilding.com forum.

That routine looks like a load of horse shit to me, but that's simply my opinion.

Also, BB.com is a cess pit, also my opinion. If you enjoy it though, keep on keepin' on. I'm not gonna tell you to do otherwise. Being in the gym is better than not being in the gym, no matter what you're doing.

That routine looks like a load of horse shit to me, but that's simply my opinion.

Also, BB.com is a cess pit, also my opinion. If you enjoy it though, keep on keepin' on. I'm not gonna tell you to do otherwise. Being in the gym is better than not being in the gym, no matter what you're doing.

I wouldn't say that bb.com is that bad. You first have to know what you are doing/talking about to get the most out of that place. But yes, just picking random articles/programs without understanding what the hell is going on will lead you to a path of trouble.

ACE 1991

What makes you say that, out of curiosity? Lots of people have had great strength and mass gains on it, and I've definitely progressed well on it.

abuC

335lb deadlifts with 200+lbs of band tension for 5 set 5 reps is pretty brutal. The closer I get the more I think I might actually get this 600lbs next week. I have no doubt I'll hit 585 (6 plates) which is a 10lb PR.

Man, I'm getting anxious.

Also, gotta love being an american. 2 QPCs 1 Mc Chicken, 1 small fry for 6 dollars. GET IN MY MOUF!!!!!!!!!

Shogun ver Shogunusson, are you going to do any powerlifting comps?

LOL, my wallet

I'm just trying to get back to dunking, period. I broke my leg about 6 months back (compound fracture) in a pretty scary way, and while I'm back to hanging on the rim with 2 hands with just 1 step, it's hard for me to land confidently on my leg. Maybe box jumps will help with that...

I don't do 5/3/1 so I honestly couldn't tell you, but you don't necessarily need heavyweights to improve your vert. It's mostly about how quickly you can move the weight itself, look at some of the best leapers in the NBA, guys like Derrick Rose & Westbrook probably can't squat 3 plates but they explode off the ground and have skinny legs. They do a lot of plyometric work and squats with bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU01Gk6nxrU
So the bone came through the skin? damn. I'd get an x-ray to make sure my leg was good to go before I got back into playing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What makes you say that, out of curiosity? Lots of people have had great strength and mass gains on it, and I've definitely progressed well on it.

I don't wanna get into it and if you're enjoying it and progressing then keep doing you. I don't wanna put negative shit in your head based off of my own opinion/preferences.

If/when you want to change gears from a hypertrophy focused routine that's full body every workout with a deload day in every week let or any of us know. Until then, enjoy what you're doing because again, being in the gym is better than the alternative.

Shogun ver Shogunusson, are you going to do any powerlifting comps?

LOL, my wallet

Oh, wheew, that's a relief. For a second I was gonna ask for some smoked sausage. ;)

Yeah, the NASA Christmas meet on Dec 21st in Flora Illinois so long as my LT actually schedules me off.

I'm probably just gonna do a push/pull though instead of a full power meet.

SeanR1221

So interesting session with my PT today.

He was telling me it's time to start working on my core to help get me back to squatting and deadlifting heavy. He had my doing different things on a yoga ball, such as sitting up-right and leaning back (like a reverse sit-up), laying on the ball and slowly walking out while keeping my spine and head neutral and laying on the floor with my butt off the air and legs on the ball, pulling it closer to my body.

He emphasized focusing on keeping my spine and head neutral will help with my form. I brought up RDLs and Good mornings. He said they can work the core but because they primarily hit the hamstrings, these movements can help my core more.

He also said he wouldn't recommend doing GMs again as it can easily re-aggravate back issues.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So interesting session with my PT today.

He was telling me it's time to start working on my core to help get me back to squatting and deadlifting heavy. He had my doing different things on a yoga ball, such as sitting up-right and leaning back (like a reverse sit-up), laying on the ball and slowly walking out while keeping my spine and head neutral and laying on the floor with my butt off the air and legs on the ball, pulling it closer to my body.

He emphasized focusing on keeping my spine and head neutral will help with my form. I brought up RDLs and Good mornings. He said they can work the core but because they primarily hit the hamstrings, these movements can help my core more.

He also said he wouldn't recommend doing GMs again as it can easily re-aggravate back issues.

I swap out RDLs and GMs for you I'd think both very, very, very light with an emphasis on keeping everything tight and controlled would be great as a builder.

However, I'm not a PT, I'm not a doctor or nurse. I did pass the EMT exam but that means jack shit. Ultimately I'm a meathead who watches rapists, murderers and drug users/traffickers inside of a iron and brick campus.

So he's probably more right than I am.

SeanR1221

I swap out RDLs and GMs for you I'd think both very, very, very light with an emphasis on keeping everything tight and controlled would be great as a builder.

However, I'm not a PT, I'm not a doctor or nurse. I did pass the EMT exam but that means jack shit. Ultimately I'm a meathead who watches rapists, murderers and drug users/traffickers inside of a iron and brick campus.

So he's probably more right than I am.

Yeah if I do GMs again they'll be very light. RDLs he seemed ok with.

I was surprised that this rehab center is #1 in Pennslyvania and in the top 10 in the US.

Horray good insurance!

J. Bravo

wow, that's convenient. Thanks for the link.
I don't do 5/3/1 so I honestly couldn't tell you, but you don't necessarily need heavyweights to improve your vert. It's mostly about how quickly you can move the weight itself, look at some of the best leapers in the NBA, guys like Derrick Rose & Westbrook probably can't squat 3 plates but they explode off the ground and have skinny legs. They do a lot of plyometric work and squats with bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU01Gk6nxrU
So the bone came through the skin? damn. I'd get an x-ray to make sure my leg was good to go before I got back into playing.

I think on my off days I will do some of this jumping non sense along with a "light" prowler workout. "Light" as in don't die afterwards. Last time I used a sled, I was sick for the next few hours until I went to sleep lol.

Yeah the bone snapped in half and punctured the skin. Pretty nasty. Basically the exact same circumstances surrounding Kevin Ware's injury. I've had plenty of xrays since then, and I started squats and deadlifts again 6 weeks afterwards (with Dr approval). He said I can do whatever I want to do. I've been playing for the last couple of months, but I'm only recently (last month or so) getting back to pre injury levels.

mooooose

I had to take a few months off from the gym. I'm still working on my low bar squats. It's becoming very demoralizing. I think I lack the flexibility. My wrists hold up the bar and there is nothing I can do about it unless I spread my grip and my back becomes too loose. Any advice? Any stretches?

I had to take a few months off from the gym. I'm still working on my low bar squats. It's becoming very demoralizing. I think I lack the flexibility. My wrists hold up the bar and there is nothing I can do about it unless I spread my grip and my back becomes too loose. Any advice? Any stretches?

Stretch your pecs.

Make sure you're racking it right. Below the upper traps, atop the rear delts. "Low" is only really a fair description of the lift relative to the high bar squat, the bar is still racked very near to the top of your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom