• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Is this a good program for a beginner (rotate 1A and 1B):

1A:
Squat 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Seated Military Press 4x10
Barbell Curl 3x10
Dip 3x10

1B:
Deadlift 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Barbell Curl 3x10
Situps 3xmax

Modified from Arnold's early training program (I just added dips and deadlift). Main idea is to get basic strength up to decent level before getting into the more complex routines.

No that's really poor programming. 3x5 on the compounds except deadlift. Make that a 1x5

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My breakfast:

4 eggs
2 pieces of Cinnamon and raisin bread with peanut butter
1 cup of milk
1 banana

~950 calories

That's what I'm talking about!

This morning I had a bagel with butter and three eggs, a banana, and a cup of Kashi GoLean cereal with whole milk.

All in all about 910 calories.

C&R bread + peanut butter is a champion's snack.

That's what I'm talking about!

This morning I had a bagel with butter and three eggs, a banana, and a cup of Kashi GoLean cereal with whole milk.

All in all about 910 calories.

C&R bread + peanut butter is a champion's snack.

I just recently starting doing this. It is so damn good. I love it.

Go_Ly_Dow

2 brah's. OHP. Squat rack. 8 sets.

WHY?

Also my session ended with me falling down 4 stairs and crushing 3 of my fingers between the stairs and my body. Just got back and think I will have to lay-off for a session or 3.

ADD ME TO THE OT6 INJURY CURSE!

Trying this good burger place tomorrow and your vote counts, Fitgaf. Do I get....

1.) Mac and cheese burger

2.) breakfast burger (complete with bacon, hashbrown and egg)

3.) grilled cheese burger. Yes, the bun is two grilled cheeses

4.) inside out burger (basically a burger with no bun) but then get a side of sweet potato fries.

Number 3 of course. How many times in your life have you had something like that? Always try new things!

WHY?

Also my session ended with me falling down 4 stairs and crushing 3 of my fingers between the stairs and my body. Just got back and think I will have to lay-off for a session or 3.

Fucking OT6 ghost pushed you down the stairs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

WHY?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE GHOST OF FITGAF STRIKES AGAIN

MgzAwH3.png

beware!

Szu

Trying this good burger place tomorrow and your vote counts, Fitgaf. Do I get....

1.) Mac and cheese burger

2.) breakfast burger (complete with bacon, hashbrown and egg)

3.) grilled cheese burger. Yes, the bun is two grilled cheeses

4.) inside out burger (basically a burger with no bun) but then get a side of sweet potato fries.

Number 4 just for the sweet potato fries.

i eat the same breakfast every day

6 scrambled eggs (or 4 eggs + 1/3 cup whites if i have them)
half pound of brocolli
handful of deli turkey
cooked in coconut oil

2 pieces of toast

idk how many calories it is but when i eventually get a job that consists of more than walking to the living room and getting on the computer at whatever lazy ass time i get up (this is actually the latest i've slept in for months for some reason but i beat my squat pr yesterday so i welcomed it) things is probably gonna have to change. i should probably add a little bacon to my breakfasts.

i feel like i need more carbs there tho. and throughout the day in general. but usually i have a shake an hr or so after bfast and i throw a cup of oats in that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone bulking but also sticking to IF? If so, do you just have 2 giant meals or do you eat more frequently throughout the 8-hour window?

MrOogieBoogie

Is anyone bulking but also sticking to IF? If so, do you just have 2 giant meals or do you eat more frequently throughout the 8-hour window?

IF? Is that the same as IIFYM? If so, then I eat all throughout the day. If I hit my protein and fat macros for the day and I have calories to spare, I'll eat pretty much anything.

J. Bravo

IF? Is that the same as IIFYM? If so, then I eat all throughout the day. If I hit my protein and fat macros for the day and I have calories to spare, I'll eat pretty much anything.

IF is intermittent fasting. Basically fast 16 hours, get all your shit in 8 hours.

Ex: fast 8pm-noon, workout at the end of your fast (1130 or so), post workout meal at noon, get all your nutrients by 8. repeat.

www.leangains.com is very helpful.

MrOogieBoogie

IF is intermittent fasting. Basically fast 16 hours, get all your shit in 8 hours.

Ex: fast 8pm-noon, workout at the end of your fast (1130 or so), post workout meal at noon, get all your nutrients by 8. repeat.

www.leangains.com is very helpful.

Interesting. Any reason why that'd be a more effective method?

MjFrancis

When I bulked during intermittent fasting I would sometimes adjust my 8-hour feeding window to 10 hours. Sometimes I snacked more often in the eight hour window and other times I'd have a small 500 calorie preworkout meal, a 2,500 calorie postworkout feast and a 1,000 calorie meal later in the day. A postworkout meal that large might inspire a late afternoon nap so your mileage may vary and I wouldn't recommend that strategy to just anyone.

J. Bravo

Interesting. Any reason why that'd be a more effective method?

I don't know anything in particular. It helps curb overeating if you don't eat at night. Training fasted is good for you as well, I think. I do know several people who have had success following something similar.

abuC

Week 4? You're about halfway through right? How's that dextrose working for you

I think I might do this for 10 weeks, it's getting easier and easier for me, and the results are really starting to show. I'm down 6lbs with strength going up and fat flying off.

I haven't noticed any difference with the dextrose yet, but I just started taking it last week. The creatine helps a lot though, I look jacked on my power day.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE GHOST OF FITGAF STRIKES AGAIN

MgzAwH3.png

beware!

I look at the Fitness ghost like
mike-tyson-stare-o.gif

He's failed several times before to keep me away from the weights.

After a week off due to a pinched back/neck nerve (which I see was apparently caused by a mummy or some shit haunting OT6) and another week of shitty workouts and failing to hit my numbers, yesterday and today were the victories I needed to get me back in a winning mindset (also doesn't hurt that I've been eating at maintenance for a few days - diet break FTW).

Yesterday - Deadlift, 295 x 5
Today - Bench, 205 x 5

I have never been this light (169) and lifted this much.

I attribute it to my newly-concocted preworkout of whey, creatine, and 20oz coffee chugged in the gym parking lot. It's like hyper-hyphymud, kicks in RIGHT at the heaviest of the 5/3/1 sets.

Imm0rt4l

I should probably start doing lunges again. I think my hams are lagging, quads are on point though. Maybe i'll rotate the emphasis on legs from quad to ham dominant. I want numbers. After trying more weight last week for squats I think I just need to explode off the ground a little bit more

Hams for the ma'ams

velociraptor

guys...

I find it so hard to gain weight

I even tried drinking 6 protein shakes in whole milk on top of my usual meals for the past 2 months and it's made no difference

what is going on

:(

is it even possible to lean bulk? how many calories am i really supposed to be getting in?

I probably get about 250g protein, 200-250g carbs, 70g fat everyday.

Go_Ly_Dow

hmm thinking this injury is a bit more serious than simply taking a few days out..... can't even bend my fingers without agony so that definitely takes all grip based lifts out of the question (oh wait, that's pretty much everything)

guess I will just take the positive that I can really focus on abs and strengthening my core until I heal up!

damn ghost :(

Imm0rt4l

I look at the Fitness ghost like
mike-tyson-stare-o.gif

He's failed several times before to keep me away from the weights.
word, I got my eye on him. I'm not doing weighted dips for a while for this reason and I'm working on mobility for shoulders just in case. Im very conscioys of my shoulders lately.

guys...

I even tried drinking 6 protein shakes in whole milk on top of my usual meals for the past 2 and it's made no difference

what is going on

is it even possible to lean bulk? how many calories am i really supposed to be getting in?

I probably get about 250g protein, 250g carbs, 70g fat everyday.

how much do you weigh. what is does your daily diet (the food) look like? perhaps you're gaining muscle and burning fat? usually when you can notice you're going up in weight a lot it coincides with adding a lot of fat. it's really easy to overdo it with GOMAD, if you're doing that.

try eating a dozen eggs a day. make sure you're eating lots of green veggies a day, at least a pound.

6 cups of whole milk should be almost 50 grams of fat a day alone, so your numbers seem kind of odd unless you're really somehow only getting 20g of fat from all that other food and whatever else is in your shakes...

Imm0rt4l

guys...

I even tried drinking 6 protein shakes in whole milk on top of my usual meals for the past 2 and it's made no difference

what is going on

I probably get about 250g protein, 250g carbs, 70g fat everyday.
How tall are you? 250 carbs for me is nothing

rando14

I should probably start doing lunges again. I think my hams are lagging, quads are on point though. Maybe i'll rotate the emphasis on legs from quad to ham dominant. I want numbers. After trying more weight last week for squats I think I just need to explode off the ground a little bit more

Hams for the ma'ams

Do it, friend. I've switched my leg focus to hams>quads and my legs are significantly improving. Not to mention that having strong hams is great for injury prevention

velociraptor

how much do you weigh. what is does your daily diet (the food) look like? perhaps you're gaining muscle and burning fat? usually when you can notice you're going up in weight a lot it coincides with adding a lot of fat. it's really easy to overdo it with GOMAD, if you're doing that.

try eating a dozen eggs a day. make sure you're eating lots of green veggies a day, at least a pound.

6 cups of whole milk should be almost 50 grams of fat a day alone, so your numbers seem kind of odd unless you're really somehow only getting 20g of fat from all that other food and whatever else is in your shakes...
How tall are you? 250 carbs for me is nothing

5'8, 67kg

Just filled out today's meals in Fitday:
Cals 2,679
Fat 74.6
Carbs 226.3
Protein 255.0

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hmm thinking this injury is a bit more serious than simply taking a few days out..... can't even bend my fingers without agony so that definitely takes all grip based lifts out of the question (oh wait, that's pretty much everything)

guess I will just take the positive that I can really focus on abs and strengthening my core until I heal up!

damn ghost :(

Take it super careful. I so baaaadly want to get back on shrugs but my traps still hurt at weird angles. GHOSTS.

guys...

I even tried drinking 6 protein shakes in whole milk on top of my usual meals for the past 2 months and it's made no difference

what is going on

If its that hard for you to gain weight then "dirty" bulking isn't as much of a thing because your metabolism is going to destroy most of that fat anyway.

Hams for the ma'ams

I've been following the 5/3/1 routine, including for my squats, and have added 3x10 (for each leg) of barbell lunges on my squat days. The searing pain is a great, great feeling. Added bonus for me: after lifting, I have to bike home a few miles. Squats followed by lunges followed by biking makes for the most painful bike ride of all time.

SeanR1221

guys...

what is going on

I suppose the grass is always greener, huh? I need to appreciate that more

word, I got my eye on him. I'm not doing weighted dips for a while for this reason and I'm working on mobility for shoulders just in case. Im very conscioys of my shoulders lately.

Yeah Im keeping dips to 3x10 and no more weighted ones. I also end my workout with light shoulder cable work. It's definitely helping.

MrOogieBoogie

5'8, 67kg

Cals 2,679
Fat 74.6
Carbs 226.3
Protein 255.0

You don't need to be eating that much protein. All you need is about 150g protein, at least 70g of fat, and fill in the rest with carbs. I'm about your size right now and I'm "lean bulking" at 3000 calories, but honestly will probably have to increase it a bit more because I burn so much energy every day and my metabolism is so fast. Probably goes the same for you.

You might still effectively be eating under maintenance at only 2700 calories, and I'm almost certain you are. So start eating at least 3000 calories every day for two weeks and then see if you've made progress.

Visceir

5'8, 67kg

Cals 2,679
Fat 74.6
Carbs 226.3
Protein 255.0

Don't think you need that much protein and I doubt guzzling down protein shakes will have any impact on you gaining weight. My weight started going up when I started eating pasta and nuts on a regular basis. But I do consider myself to be on a dirty bulk and have gained fat too -- don't really care though as my strenght is going up and I do like the way my body is developing.

Felt rather tired before gym today but had a great workout once I got to the gym. Benched 160 x 5 today, next up 165! Bodyweight is slowly moving up too.

Noema

Is this a good program for a beginner (rotate 1A and 1B):

1A:
Squat 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Barbell Curl 3x10
Dip 3x10

1B:
Deadlift 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Barbell Curl 3x10
Situps 3xmax

Modified from Arnold's early training program (I just added dips and deadlift). Main idea is to get basic strength up to decent level before getting into the more complex routines.

Nope, looks pretty bad. Sets of 10 are not conductive to strength.

Do the beginner's program found in the OP.

So I want to become a cop. However I am not in the best shape. I'm not fat or anything but I want to get very fit. Where do I start? I read the OP but I feel that I need more then strength but cardio as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I want to become a cop. However I am not in the best shape. I'm not fat or anything but I want to get very fit. Where do I start? I read the OP but I feel that I need more then strength but cardio as well.

Are you fat or skinny?

EDIT: Hurr you answered it. If you want strength do Starting Strength and check your diet. EAT EAT EAT. Strength first cardio later~

J. Bravo

Do SS and after 4 weeks, add hill sprints in 2x a week on your off days for 4 weeks, then add an extra day. If you ever feel like you are not recovered enough, skip cardio before you skip weights.

Just be aware that sprints will destroy you. Waiting 4 weeks might not even be enough.

SeanR1221

if you don't foam roll you're missing out on life

had my best foam roll session this morning, felt sooo niiice

I agree, but you should also get some good stretches in.

When I'm done PT would you guys want some pictures of me doing all the stretches? I know it's kinda corny but might help some.

velociraptor

You don't need to be eating that much protein. All you need is about 150g protein, at least 70g of fat, and fill in the rest with carbs. I'm about your size right now and I'm "lean bulking" at 3000 calories, but honestly will probably have to increase it a bit more because I burn so much energy every day and my metabolism is so fast. Probably goes the same for you.

You might still effectively be eating under maintenance at only 2700 calories, and I'm almost certain you are. So start eating at least 3000 calories every day for two weeks and then see if you've made progress.
Yeah I suppose. Guess I'll probably add a meal of oatmeal to what I'm currently eating. At the same time I admit I'm concious of gaining too much fat. I don't really believe in 'bulking' and 'cutting'. After all, there is only a finite amount of muscle your body will build. All else will be stored as fat.

I agree, but you should also get some good stretches in.

When I'm done PT would you guys want some pictures of me doing all the stretches? I know it's kinda corny but might help some.

It'd be useful. I've started to add 50 "reps" of foam rolling to each side of my glutes and back every morning and am slowly adding in more body parts every week or so. Haven't had any stretching going yet, but it's on my list to add to my training; taking it step-by-step for now.

Cudder

It'd be useful. I've started to add 50 "reps" of foam rolling to each side of my glutes and back every morning and am slowly adding in more body parts every week or so. Haven't had any stretching going yet, but it's on my list to add to my training; taking it step-by-step for now.

Foam rolling isn't really about the number of times you roll on the roller. It's more about feel. Short, slow rolls are much better than longer ones across muscles. And when you feel a certain muscle being tight or tense, concentrate on that one. Even just holding the roller on one spot on the muscle will be beneficial, and get it to loosen up pretty quickly.

Szu

if you don't foam roll you're missing out on life

had my best foam roll session this morning, felt sooo niiice

Agreed, while I've never done a whole session. Once I felt some lower back pain, I lied on top of a foam roller. When it hit the right spot, I was all like...
Tomhanks.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
That'd be great Sean, would be very useful information!

This! absolutely!! stretching is soooo goood, I'd stretch for hours if it made sense :p.

so, on a completely superficial note (hey, it's friday night here, let's chill), I once bought one of those compression shirts one size too small, not underarmour but by Nike. When I tried it in the store I liked it but then back home..... it didn't feel right, for whatever reason.... So I basically kept it in the drawer for weeks until today and I kinda came to terms with it..

it doesn't help that that kind of shirt doesn't combine that well with any kind of shorts or pants.

Frivolous Friday is Frivolous

greyshirt_zpsf5a95dac.jpg

Cudder

Agreed, while I've never done a whole session. Once I felt some lower back pain, I lied on top of a foam roller. When it hit the right spot, I was all like...
Tomhanks.jpg

Perfect image to sum it up.

I never do my whole body either, I usually just roll on whatever muscles I'm working out that day. And if I have DOMS on certain muscles I'll roll on those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom