• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
MgzAwH3.png

I'm expecting my pecs to snap or something on bench day tomorrow.

These fucking injuries.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Keep it up man!

Thanks mate!

Amazed, since chin ups have always been a mythical beast to me. I am a pretty big guy at 6'2 and 211lbs 22%, so dragging all that mass up has previously felt just impossible. Have built towards being able to do one with negatives and assisted chins. Next goal is 5, then 10, then same in dips, then in a few years a muscle up!

abuC

Thanks mate!

Amazed, since chin ups have always been a mythical beast to me. I am a pretty big guy at 6'2 and 211lbs 22%, so dragging all that mass up has previously felt just impossible. Have built towards being able to do one with negatives and assisted chins. Next goal is 5, then 10, then same in dips, then in a few years a muscle up!

I feel your pain, chin ups used to be the bane of my existence, so I can definitely relate to you on finally doing more than 1.

thomaser

Today a guy came up to me and said that I look really strong when squatting. First time that's ever happened! It's one of the strongest squatters there, too, someone everybody goes to for advice. He did point out that my knees tend to wobble when I push up out of the hole, though. But I'm still pleased!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'll look into that. But mostly the issue is my left hand is weaker; how much of an issue is that and how can I correct it? Like if I just take a dumbell and do say, bicep curls until failure or something, my right hand can do fine with something light like 10lbs but with my left hand I'll probably have to stop around 15 or so or I'd have to go down to 7.5 to get a similar 'feeling' that I do with my right hand.
Obviously most people will favour one side over the other and it can be quite common for that disparity to be a bit more pronounced in relatively untrained individuals. Focus on making improvement with bilateral movements such as push-ups, rows, chin ups etc... and you may find that the initial rapid improvement will balance the two sides.

_Isaac

Man, I've been trying to recover from this shoulder injury for months already. All that time, I haven't been able to do very many upper body exercises. I had been trying to do the beginner Starting Strength workout, but I'm really only able to do the squat and the deadlift. Those don't hurt my shoulder at all. I haven't been able to do a press or a bench press. The press is especially painful. I had considered doing a bench press without the full range of motion to avoid the pain and maybe lift a little bit of weight, but I don't know if that would just make it more dangerous. I don't know if I should continue trying to find replacements for those exercises, or if I should cut those out completely and stick to squats and deadlifts. I'm just not sure if I'm wasting my time just sticking to half of the lifts for that routine.

I guess I could cut out weight lifting completely and wait it out, but it's been six months already and still no improvement, and that's with the help of a doctor. I want to get back in the game already.

ZeroRay

Dat sugar.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. My body's been pretty good to me in that regard. About to indulge in a milkshake.

I had to take a few months off from the gym. I'm still working on my low bar squats. It's becoming very demoralizing. I think I lack the flexibility. My wrists hold up the bar and there is nothing I can do about it unless I spread my grip and my back becomes too loose. Any advice? Any stretches?

Get a 1" pvc pipe, broomstick, or other long pole-like object (DO NOT TRY TO USE A BARBELL) and do shoulder dislocations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvfAPqCBjdw

abuC

Wow, tension day went so much easier, I made the mistake the last 3 weeks of using a JEFIT UD2.0 routine that I found and it had way too much volume. It basically had twice as many sets as the sample Lyle had in his book, boneheaded on my part. I feel so much better and unlike the last 3 weeks it only took about an hour and 10 minutes to get through.

deadbeef

Wow, tension day went so much easier, I made the mistake the last 3 weeks of using a JEFIT UD2.0 routine that I found and it had way too much volume. It basically had twice as many sets as the sample Lyle had in his book, boneheaded on my part. I feel so much better and unlike the last 3 weeks it only took about an hour and 10 minutes to get through.

Week 4? You're about halfway through right? How's that dextrose working for you

is there anything you can take to counteract the endless fountain of gas i have from eating a dozen eggs a day? i don't mind it tbqh but the people i'm around have definitely noticed it.

TopDreg

So, round 2 of attempting the low-bar squat correctly. Hopefully a lot better after the horrid first video 2 days ago. Thanks again Noema for the criticism the first time. I tried to take your advice into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-bkeoNzbo&feature=youtu.be

Fire away at me again please. Hopefully it's better this time. I think my lower back is a lot better now...? Also, is the foot width alright?

Noema

So, round 2 of attempting the low-bar squat correctly. Hopefully a lot better after the horrid first video 2 days ago. Thanks again Noema for the criticism the first time. I tried to take your advice into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s-bkeoNzbo&feature=youtu.be

Fire away at me again please. Hopefully it's better this time. I think my lower back is a lot better now...? Also, is the foot width alright?

Well, this is much, much better.

Your back is not curved anymore and now the bar's path is almost completely perpendicular to the floor over the middle of the foot.

There's still one issue, and that's the infamous "butt wink". At the bottom, if you notice (specially in later reps), you pull your butt in for a second, in which you lose lumbar extension, because the hamstrings and the adductors are pulling your hips in and thus your spinal erectors can't keep your back in extension.

Usually the reason is lack of flexibility, but sometimes a cue is enough to fix it. That cue is "knees out". You have to consciously shove your knees so that they line up with your toes (remember your toes should be pointing out by about 30° ). This can enable you to go below parallel without having your hamstrings pull your erectors into lumbar flexion.

And you also need to work on your flexibility, specially hamstrings. At the bottom of your squat, there will be a tug-o-war between your erectors and your hamstrings and your erectors must win. . And tight / shortened hamstrings will make that more difficult.

And stop staring at the mirror. Your head should be in a neutral position.

Yes, but it's mostly a biceps / latismus exercise.

If you want to hit the rear delts you're gonna need rear delt flies, or my personal favorite, facepulls.
good to know. I'll consider it as a bonus exercise for delts. I do my delts during back day
I do facepulls already.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty cool. A lot of wrestlers are really strong and train with squats, deadlifts and clean and jerks.

Here's John Cena Deadlifting 616lb at Rippetoe's Gym, of all places:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1fvr7MQQgs

Cena does not fuck around. So strong.

Huge difference with all the testing going around what wrasslers do now compared to say, Sheiky Baby who would get high, do one set of pulldowns and stop - but the roids kept him strong.

TopDreg

Well, this is much, much better.

Your back is not curved anymore and now the bar's path is almost completely perpendicular to the floor over the middle of the foot.

There's still one issue, and that's the infamous "butt wink". At the bottom, if you notice (specially in later reps), you pull your butt in for a second, in which you lose lumbar extension, because the hamstrings and the adductors are pulling your hips in and thus your spinal erectors can't keep your back in extension.

Usually the reason is lack of flexibility, but sometimes a cue is enough to fix it. That cue is "knees out". You have to consciously shove your knees so that they line up with your toes (remember your toes should be pointing out by about 30° ). This can enable you to go below parallel without having your hamstrings pull your erectors into lumbar flexion.

And you also need to work on your flexibility, specially hamstrings. At the bottom of your squat, there will be a tug-o-war between your erectors and your hamstrings and your erectors must win. . And tight / shortened hamstrings will make that more difficult.

And stop staring at the mirror. Your head should be in a neutral position.

Many thanks Noema! You're a really big help. I'll read up in SS on how to solve those issues. I guess I'll up the weight a bit next time. That butt wink is... not noticeable to me in the video. Still trying to find it.

Edit: Ah... I think I see what you mean. By 'butt wink,' do you mean that when I'm at the bottom of my squat, my butt isn't pointing outward, but instead downward?

despire

Many thanks Noema! You're a really big help. I'll read up in SS on how to solve those issues. I guess I'll up the weight a bit next time. That butt wink is... not noticeable to me in the video. Still trying to find it.

Edit: Ah... I think I see what you mean. By 'butt wink,' do you mean that when I'm at the bottom of my squat, my butt isn't pointing outward, but instead downward?

Yes

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I've found is that the terrifying-sounding exercises never underpromise. If something is called a DESTROYER it will destroy.

Nobody's made an "Obliquerator" so I think we should brainstorm and create it.

Szu

One thing I've found is that the terrifying-sounding exercises never underpromise. If something is called a DESTROYER it will destroy.

Nobody's made an "Obliquerator" so I think we should brainstorm and create it.

Needs to look something like this.
hooters-o.gif

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does anyone else have unusually large breakfasts compared to every other meal? I need to eat at least 850 calories in the morning to feel at all satiated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else have unusually large breakfasts compared to every other meal? I need to eat at least 850 calories in the morning to feel at all satiated.

If anything I'm the opposite. In the mornings I feel full with a glass of water.

keiichi

Question about 5/3/1, I was supplementing with the periodization bible and was doing chin ups in my bench day, the first two sets go are terrific, I can manage 10. I can only muster 7 reps for each of the last 3 sets. Should I switch to a different exercise or keep up with the chin ups?

I was taking about a 2m break between each set (if that matters)

Szu

Not me, I have some egg whites and turkey sausage with a bit of juice. I don't really feel like eating anything else.

However, after a good workout, I fell like eating all the things.

Noema

Question about 5/3/1, I was supplementing with the periodization bible and was doing chin ups in my bench day, the first two sets go are terrific, I can manage 10. I can only muster 7 reps for each of the last 3 sets. Should I switch to a different exercise or keep up with the chin ups?

I was taking about a 2m break between each set (if that matters)

Just rest for longer if needed. I need to rest up to 5 minutes to hit all my reps when I do chins.

SeanR1221

Trying this good burger place tomorrow and your vote counts, Fitgaf. Do I get....

1.) Mac and cheese burger

2.) breakfast burger (complete with bacon, hashbrown and egg)

3.) grilled cheese burger. Yes, the bun is two grilled cheeses

4.) inside out burger (basically a burger with no bun) but then get a side of sweet potato fries.

Rad-

Is this a good program for a beginner (rotate 1A and 1B):

1A:
Squat 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Seated Military Press 4x10
Barbell Curl 3x10
Dip 3x10

1B:
Deadlift 4x10
Bench Press 3x10
Wide Grip Chins 3xmax
Seated Military Press 4x10
Barbell Curl 3x10
Situps 3xmax

Modified from Arnold's early training program (I just added dips and deadlift). Main idea is to get basic strength up to decent level before getting into the more complex routines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom